GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 43 : Hyper-Dan's Spanish Holiday

• Thread starter EDK
  • 230 comments
Ok... since this is my first time submitting a time... I just PM WRSFetchbot my total fastest lap time, yeah? Sorry, I'm a little dense/don't want to get dq'ed on my first week. :)

T1- 39.518
T2- 35.151

Getting a LOT of understeer, but I am only running my basic "lower it and stiffen it" technique....

Yeah, you have to follow the exact format shown in the first post when sending to Fetchbot.

And you only send the total laptime, no splits, nothing other than the verbiage shown in the first post.

And if it's wrong you'll get a reject message, and just need to resend. You'll only get DQ'd if you don't follow the rules for the event, by breaking an on track rule, or failing to provide a replay.

EDK
Yeah, you have to follow the exact format shown in the first post when sending to Fetchbot.

And you only send the total laptime, no splits, nothing other than the verbiage shown in the first post.

Just got my lap time acceptance PM. Thanks!

Good to test that submission process early. 👍 You can always send another PM later if you get a faster time before the deadline. 👍

Got my first split's aftrr month's away from the WRS.

T1: 39.309
T2: 35.033

Two questions. The first chicane, is it ok to cross the white line and the sweeping left hander, is the green part on the inside track also? I've been avoiding both part's and it has been in the back of my mind.

Last edited:
Using the tune from the guy who based his tune on the other guy's tune who based his tune on the other guy's tune... Thank you MadMax, Manuelos, w-g-e!

New splits using Max and Manuelos tunes.

T1: 39.107
T2: 34.534

Good run... I still cant get quite there yet... I really distaste Madrid.... I think its the first chicane that gets me. I find myself restarting 4x as much as finishing a lap. That first chicane will make or break your first split it seems.

T1: 39.742
T2: 35.940

Updated laptime... I was slower the first split but had a great 2nd split... ugh

T1: 40.339
T2: 34.794

EDK

Thank you I was wondering about that... So how do the splits show up on the WRS Leaderboards?!?

Yeah... Compared to everyone here I feel slow... Not a fan of the Ring, Not a fan of Madrid... I picked a heck of a time to enter in... :banghead:

Last edited:
I forgot how much fun this is! :D

I tried out Manuelos' tune and while it is faster it feels a little too sensitive for me. Going to add the rest of the power mods and see if I can tweak something to suit my style.

With the power limiter in place on this car it shouldn't make much difference how far I go before shifting, right?

Good run... I still cant get quite there yet... I really distaste Madrid.... I think its the first chicane that gets me. I find myself restarting 4x as much as finishing a lap. That first chicane will make or break your first split it seems.

Thank you I was wondering about that... So how do the splits show up on the WRS Leaderboards?!?

Yeah... Compared to everyone here I feel slow... Not a fan of the Ring, Not a fan of Madrid... I picked a heck of a time to enter in... :banghead:

You've done what you needed to in order to get on the leaderboard. Post splits in the thread.

I forgot how much fun this is! :D

I tried out Manuelos' tune and while it is faster it feels a little too sensitive for me. Going to add the rest of the power mods and see if I can tweak something to suit my style.

With the power limiter in place on this car it shouldn't make much difference how far I go before shifting, right?

This car in general likes to be short shifted. Torque runs out before power.

I haven't noticed any difference between shifting at redline and shifting at peak Hp, which is about 3900rpm when fully tuned/limited to max race spec power.

ryanerb

I've been running this same track with a friend online using 535PP limited Modern Rally Cars on CS tires, so I had a little bit of practice before really trying this weeks WRS...

I haven't noticed any difference between shifting at redline and shifting at peak Hp, which is about 3900rpm when fully tuned/limited to max race spec power.

Try shifting about 1000 before redline. Don't recall redline right now, but that gap is about right.

EDK
Try shifting about 1000 before redline. Don't recall redline right now, but that gap is about right.

I'll try that.

On another note, the WRS leaderboard is showing the track as being London. Also, how do I add in there that I'm using a wheel?

I'll try that.

On another note, the WRS leaderboard is showing the track as being London. Also, how do I add in there that I'm using a wheel?

Track updates for first time track are unfortunately manual, I'm sure it will be loaded soon.

Controller, add it to your sig. It knows DS3, DFP, G27 and 27.

I've been running this same track with a friend online using 535PP limited Modern Rally Cars on CS tires, so I had a little bit of practice before really trying this weeks WRS...

I saw on your sig that you have all golds on the licenses... lol.. How did you land in my division!?!?! Dude, I have almost all silvers (except the IA on my maim account) and I dont see golds on half of them... lol

Eh, I am at the bottom of the leader boards.. lol.. Its guys like me that keep the leaders on the top of the board...

I saw on your sig that you have all golds on the licenses... lol.. How did you land in my division!?!?! Dude, I have almost all silvers (except the IA on my maim account) and I dont see golds on half of them... lol

Eh, I am at the bottom of the leader boards.. lol.. Its guys like me that keep the leaders on the top of the board...

I spent quite a while on the licenses, most of them were golded with a DFGT. I really wish NOW that I had spent more time on the qualifier, as I couldn't see myself getting any faster...

And then a couple days later I went faster... lol... but I had already submitted my time. No big deal, being placed where I have been placed gives me lots and lots of room to improve and advance.

Two questions. The first chicane, is it ok to cross the white line and the sweeping left hander, is the green part on the inside track also? I've been avoiding both part's and it has been in the back of my mind.

Always consult the red text in the OP for clarifications on what's legal.

All hard surfaces are track, just don't touch any walls.

I spent quite a while on the licenses, most of them were golded with a DFGT. I really wish NOW that I had spent more time on the qualifier, as I couldn't see myself getting any faster...

And then a couple days later I went faster... lol... but I had already submitted my time. No big deal, being placed where I have been placed gives me lots and lots of room to improve and advance.
I have spent quite a bit of time on the licenses... The IA keeps beating the heck out of me...

The qualifier it was section 2 that killed me... I did well actually on section 3. I spent 2 days at about 3 hours each basically running the exact same times on section 2.... I just gave up and submitted what was there knowing I would get knocked back some. I know if I spent a few more days on it I would have done MUCH better on it too, but sometimes you dont have a few more days...

Right about now though I feel like I am where I belong though, at least for the tracks I am not as good at.

EDK
Track updates for first time track are unfortunately manual, I'm sure it will be loaded soon.

Controller, add it to your sig. It knows DS3, DFP, G27 and 27.

Ok, another odd question to this (sorry for the noob questions)

But what should we put in the sig if we do commonly use either or for the controllers (I would be a mix of DS3 and DFP) ~ Usually I am DS3 but sometimes I pull the wheel out for the precision it has...

jack5428 is a mostly-DS3 user, but during the Formula GT week, he used a wheel, and he edited his sig for that week, and then changed it back for the week after.

I am another who switches back and forth, but I don't want to bother changing that part of my sig all the time, so I just leave it on the wheel, which I use most.

It's up to you, it's really just an informational tidbit.

And don't feel bad about the bottom of the leaderboard...most of us have been there too. 👍 In fact I usually wait and post my first splits when they look like they'll put me where I want to be, which sometimes is hours into it. BTW, most I've spent on one week's WRS is about 18hrs. :boggled: Average for me is about ... 5-6hrs.

@Gravitron Thank you.
I took off my LSD and it helped alot.

T1: 38.619
T2: 34.435

I actually saw a 37.4xx t1, but couldn't stay in my chair long enough to finish the lap.

Realistically(don't have spell check on my phone), I think there's about .2 left.

Having lots of fun battling in D2.

It amazes me how you guys can jump back and forth between controllers. Speaking of controllers, mine is completely dead. No lights. No XMB. I guess I'm glad I have a wheel to use for driving!!!
As far as driving, I play this game like it's my job. I drive on average 2 to 3 thousand miles a week. I'm approaching 1000 wins and 100,000 miles just on my main account! Last week, for example, I drove the Seasonal event in the GTR for over 40 hours. I did finally crack the top 50, which I'm falling back out of, but that shows you how long it takes me to get up to speed!
I'm working on building a tuning chart that serves as a quick reference for people who want to race on-line, but don't have the time to study all the variables that the more experienced drivers know. So much of tuning is driver preference, but there is a part of the game that will make one suspension setting faster than another. With this chart, on one page, I want to have a summation of what we've learned from the game so far, and also, have it be amendable as we discover more and deal with updates. I've spent the last three months searching nearly every thread on tuning and making notes, then testing those theories to see what works and what doesn't. The great thing about WRS is that the leaders share their tunes almost as quick as they make them. I want to make it easier for people, including myself, to understand the changes they can make and how it should influence the car.
Tomorrow I'll drive for eight to ten hours. My goal is to study the LSD relationship in four wheel drive cars. My notes are from Motor City Hami.

Racing On!!!

Another question. My time so far is ran with no engine modifications (stage's 1, 2, 3), would adding those to the set-up make the car better in a straight line? Also I'm running no LSD, bought full transmission but left it as is so far and my weight is set to 1300kg.

Finally figured out how you crazies are getting under 38.0 in T1. Too bad I'm still not where I want to be in T2, although I did see a 34.0xx there on a slightly slower lap.

OK, I didn't really figure it out in T1, I just got lucky with the chicane, once out of a hundred tries. :dunce: At least T3 was a personal best!

Chuk, your new title should be Chief Scientist, GT5. :cheers:

Last edited:
Another question. My time so far is ran with no engine modifications (stage's 1, 2, 3), would adding those to the set-up make the car better in a straight line? Also I'm running no LSD, bought full transmission but left it as is so far and my weight is set to 1300kg.

The key to engine tuning is torque. If it increases toque, do it, because that will increase your straight line acceleration. Most are doing a complete engine upgrade, and then limiting horsepower back to regulation.
Next, lose every pound you can. It is better to do the weight reductions available, and then add ballast as you need to, because you can control where the ballast is placed. In this case, you need to do all weight reductions and not add ballast.
It is also important to use the transmission settings to maximize performance. You should be at the top end of your top gear at the end of the longest straight, and then adjust gears from there. This is why torque is so important, because the torque equals quickness, but power without control is nothing. The key to a good transmission is to stay in the "powerband" for as long as possible without losing momentum or steering ability. The gas pedal can steer as much as any wheel, and the tranny controls that. Every corner has an maximum apex speed. How you get to that speed and how you leave it make all the difference.
Tomorrow is my LSD study. Because this car is four wheel drive, the relationship between front and rear wheel LSD settings is complex. I will be looking at the relationship of LSD versus apex speed. Will changing my settings improve my apex speed, but decrease acceleration?

Sorry for rambling.

Carlos, I'll get my hat, call me a cab! :cheers:

:gtpflag:

When I got my first top ten finish in a seasonal TT and I only had 4 golds on the licensce tests.

They are not neccesarily a good indicator of how good a driver you might be potentially in my opinion.

Heres why. For me when I consciously think about all the driving rules Ill drive the ideal line and such but Ill do it slowly.

I have yet to figure out just why that is but after taking a break from GT5 that was one of the first things that just smacked me hard in the face the most doing this week.

WTF im doing what your suppose to and Im going slower not faster because I did what your suppose to do?

Thats just the way it is I guess. lol

Back