GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 68 : Tsukubee Doo

• Thread starter Hydro
  • 143 comments
Better T1, slower T2. Can't seem to break into the 16's in T2.:irked:

Maybe its just me?
Maybe... :sly: Nice splits in any case. 👍

Can't seem to break into the 16's in T2.:irked:
Take the egg from under your accelerator pedal and replace it with lard (or vegetable fat substitute) :P

Swapping sectors for me... had a good hour and a half on this tonight but can't tie it all together yet.

Sorted out sector 3 a bit better now too. I think I'm looking for about 0.2 on the lap.... I'm always looking for that though. Even if I go 0.2 quicker, there'll still be another 0.2 there taunting me. :P

Take the egg from under your accelerator pedal and replace it with lard (or vegetable fat substitute) :P

If I take the egg away my size 13 just seems to hold the pedal to the floor.:sly:

Last edited:

Im just racing Blair.:)

Edit: Your back ahead of me now I think Blair at T2 but Im 1.5 tenths lower at the line.

Edit again: split typo

Here some better splits but it does seem its very tough to do 3 good sectors in a lap thats for sure. Im not complaining another 1.5 at the line. Only place I left any time I know of right now was in T2, I did a 782 once.

BB 3 1 ABS 1

Last edited:
After another session last night and seeing no improvement, start wondering what was happening with me, two weeks on a row without the pace was used to, couldn´t even match the inicial splits.

But if i was ok with Monaco (i don´t like city tracks), no away this could happen on Tsukuba :crazy:

Then it hit me, at the start of the last week i mounted this on my brake pedal.

Could it be the reason? I tought that would improve my lap times but it was hurting them bad.
So i quickly dismounted the new spring and mounted the old one and after a couple of laps i was almost half a second faster :crazy::crazy:

Just couldn´t get used to a harder spring...and now i have to get used again to the old one :yuck::scared::banghead:

New splits after half an hour

T1: 13.461
T2: 16.972

Could it be the reason?
Its a case of what's called 'muscle memory' I think mate... Your body just gets used to the way things feel and tends to repeat actions based on that feeling. When you change something, it has to relearn. I've heard good things about the progressive spring mod so I don't think that in itself would make you slower but your brake foot/ankle are programmed to the previous spring, so it would take you a good week or 2 of solid practice to get up to speed with the new spring. I had a similar issue when I switched from my G25 to the Fanatec, and again when I got my Clubsport pedals... then when I had to briefly switch back to my G25, I was hopeless with it to begin with.

Best idea, if you want to run with the spring mod, is to run a combo you are already very familiar with until you get up to your previous pace.

Last edited:
Its a case of what's called 'muscle memory' I think mate... Your body just gets used to the way things feel and tends to repeat actions based on that feeling. When you change something, it has to relearn. I've heard good things about the progressive spring mod so I don't think that in itself would make you slower but your brake foot/ankle are programmed to the previous spring, so it would take you a good week or 2 of solid practice to get up to speed with the new spring. I had a similar issue when I switched from my G25 to the Fanatec, and again when I got my Clubsport pedals... then when I had to briefly switch back to my G25, I was hopeless with it to begin with.

There´s more than that Chris. The problem is that GT5 doesn´t allow to tweak the settings of the brake, so i think this springs are only good to PC.
They intended to be a progressive brake, just like Fanatec, but the only thing the brake tell the PS3 is the lenght of the coil, not the pressure.
Don´t know if the nixim mod is better or not, but after a whole week, at Monaco i can tell you that this doesn´t do what it´s supposed to.
I saw this really well last night on the first turn on Tsukuba, as i press brake the wheels started do scream, going to full lock was very fast and the progressive let go needed was also to abrupt.

There´s more than that Chris.
I get what you mean... That's a shame as it sounds like a good idea. Never used a brake mod myself on my G25 so I have no experience to base my opinion on.

There´s more than that Chris. The problem is that GT5 doesn´t allow to tweak the settings of the brake, so i think this springs are only good to PC.
They intended to be a progressive brake, just like Fanatec, but the only thing the brake tell the PS3 is the lenght of the coil, not the pressure.
Don´t know if the nixim mod is better or not, but after a whole week, at Monaco i can tell you that this doesn´t do what it´s supposed to.
I saw this really well last night on the first turn on Tsukuba, as i press brake the wheels started do scream, going to full lock was very fast and the progressive let go needed was also to abrupt.

I hope it is since I ordered the Nixim mod a couple of weeks ago and it should be here soon. I'm thinking the rubber insert provided with that spring prevents the lock up you referenced.

Splits of my first 3 sessions, with a slower T2 than I had before.

Running wide in a few places, so hopefully a few more tenths in it for me

First session complete. Definitely not a good idea to get on the throttle when one of the rear wheels is red.

Nasty little car this one, but totally fun. Hard to keep the tail in place.

Splits from my first 50 laps session:

Feeling as coming out of a nightmare :dopey::crazy: back to what i was used to :sly:

T1: 13.332
T2: 16.839

Thanks Jack for the tip on the B/B 👍

Short shifting is for sure quicker in this car.

I cant give you one perfect number but i think 7750 would be the only one that might work for 2nd thru 5th.

If youve been redlining it down the long straight try that youll go about 10 km/h quicker to the brake point for the last corner.

Just trying to help some guys who might not have that part figured out yet. Im sure most already do.

I would say shift at 7500 exactly from 4th to 5th it puts 5th right at 6500 which is peak torque.

Dont seem to matter much whether you shift at 7500 down the straight or shift so revs fall exactly to 6500. I prefer the 6500 minimum rev pattern myself right now.

I got a 3rd pattern i now want to try in mind one where i balance being out of the power band equally on both sides.

Something tells me it will be the same as the other 2. But maybe not.:)

Looking forward to this 👍

Will do a few laps and post splits in a while.

This is too Tsukuba for me.:lol:

I'm going to take a week off.

After about 10 laps I have:

Gotta say drifting is actually faster for me.. :nervous:

EDIT:

.045 faster at the line..

Last edited:
Short shifting is correct for this car, also I like a BB of 7/3 which helps tame the understeer.
Watch so the rears don't light up, any aggressive throttle at this point will result in a spinout! Just an old man's opinion. :sly:
Forgot to give credit to Jack. Thank You for the sound advise! Just wanted to add my 2 cents. 👍
I love these TT's where tuning skills don't prevail!!

Last edited:
Doin' the short-shiftin' and BB 3/1 trick got me over 0.4 at the line, mostly in T3. Thanks Jack! 👍 Also saw my first 16.90x as well. :D Will find it again next time.

Both Lucas and Joao your welcome.

How Ive been setting my BB is by setting PBs in T3. Yeah I try something new(based on some kind of tuning logic like this ones to tight what if i try..) if i take T3 quicker with it I then try to figure out how to drive the rest of the track with it decently and Ive taken alot of time out of T3 and the whole track.

Anyhow I just took another tenth off my T3 PB with 4 2 abs 1.

The pattern has been anything that makes me quicker thru T3 will make me quicker thru t1 and T2 once i get use to it. Tired now tho will have to wait.:)

Can't resist driving a S2000, love its eagerness around here.

T1 - 13.379
T2 - 16.906

Even better :)

T1 - 13.358
T2 - 16.840

just had an early morning run and improved slightly :)

Last edited:
These are my splits from a couple of data ago. Going to have a quick go at beating them now.

Did it! Short shifting does the job

Seems that most of the advantage is in the final sector.

Last edited:
Heh, welcome back Joao. :sly: 👍

Early finish and a few relaxing laps to wind down... :crazy:

Edit - Oops, not 2 seconds off the pace in sector 2 really...

Nearly binned it at the hairpin straight after T2 and only up 0.002 at the line, so still looking for 2 tenths. Just going for a lie down now....

Last edited:

Perfect T3, T1 and T2 are a bit rubbish.👍

Last edited:
Quote: "Hydro
No cheating of any kind - these are relaxed races and we are experienced racers, we know what times can be done, and we can read your mind. We will know."

Ha! With this combo?

Back