GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 75 : Twin Ring Twin Ring Motegi

• Thread starter EDK
  • 208 comments
It's probably OK, IN THIS CASE. Since it's a full lap on the oval, and that's what we're reporting on the first split.

Most weeks, though, where there's a secret element to the final sector(s) and overall lap time, you'll see Chris (Vagabond) edit a big "V" over the top-right portion of the video, so he doesn't give away info about any previous best-laps that he had in that particular session.

Sorry I can't help, I haven't even run 1 lap on either course yet.

*** Mods: if this is not allowed, please delete the post! ***

Here is a vid of my oval lap. Sorry about the quality, I was just holding a camera:crazy: (Is there an easy way to get a video other than this?)

I'm miffed as to why I can't get going any quicker...

Edit: I should add my set-up too!

As you can see I have used EDK's baseline and have played with a LOT of stuff, but nothing really helped apart from the rear DF. I found I could maintain 1 MPH more through turns 1/2 with the reduced toe, but no improvement in lap time...

I would play with the gearing a little. It looks like you are dropping too much speed in turns 3 and 4. Especially comming out of 4 you are about 3 to 4 mph slower than where I would like to be. I took all the toe out of my set up and a little less camber than you are showing.

I lied. I played with the oval a bit. Got a few hundredths out of it. Now on to the road course:

Hopefully I'll have another update soon.

Only a small improvement on these splits, but over a quarter of a second at the line.

Thanks for the tips, Kevin 👍

I have a quick rules question. Could one of the more experienced GTPers could take a look at this photo and let me know if it's clean? Most likely (hopefully?) I'll better this lap, but I figured it would be a good chance to get clarification of the rule. I know that at least two tires must be on or inside the line. Does that mean that no part of those tires are off of the line, or that at least part of the tire is on the line?

7613414970_69e3fd23bc_b.jpg

Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
At least part of two tires must be on (or vertically aligned with) the track surface at all times. Your picture is a bit small, but it looks like part of that tire is on track.

However, it is not recommended to submit a lap that would take a lot of time for a reviewer to make sure is clean (but I understand you weren't intending on submitting that particular lap).

Updated the photo. I don't want to cause trouble, or make the reviewer take a lot of time. As I have doubts about it I wasn't going to submit the lap (as the rules state, when in doubt, assume it is not clean). Was just looking for some clarification about the wording of the rule.

Thanks.

The white line there is not the boundary, the edge of the tarmac inside the white line is, due to the road course rules being Track="Tarmac and Blue/White rumbles".

So it looks clean, easily. 👍

I have a quick rules question. Could one of the more experienced GTPers could take a look at this photo and let me know if it's clean? Most likely (hopefully?) I'll better this lap, but I figured it would be a good chance to get clarification of the rule. I know that at least two tires must be on or inside the line. Does that mean that no part of those tires are off of the line, or that at least part of the tire is on the line?

7613414970_69e3fd23bc_b.jpg

Thanks for the clarification.

That one wheel is definitely clean, but I have no idea what's happening with the other 3? :confused:

EDK
That one wheel is definitely clean, but I have no idea what's happening with the other 3? :confused:

This happened in turn 11 on my fastest lap so far (still not that fast, though :ouch:). The two right side tires are clearly and very much in the grass. The left rear is still on the rumble strip (it's hard to see, but you can see the left rear is still on the white and blue rumble strip). This is right where the rumble strip ends, and from this point the momentum of the car is carrying to the outside on the exit. The left front is the tire that I wasn't sure of. As the rumble strip ended, I thought I might have caught too much dirt.

Again, thanks for the help. I hope I'm not misusing this forum with this question.

trying to get rid of a nasty habit - the line assist

That's interesting, I wondered if faster guys were using it. For this combo, I haven't used it (OK I did for the first few oval laps). I find it draws too much attention and distracts from picking up your own markers, but that is just my opinion. Judging by your speed, it doesn't appear to hurt you!

I worked with the ghost on yesterday, learning to drive my own line and use it for reference only. Ultimately I set my fast time with it off, but I learned a lot before I did.

There's still another 2 or 3 tenths I could gain (especially in the road course's first sector), but not sure I will have any more time for this, this week.

Here are my 2nd attempt splits.

Last edited:
Getting closer. Actually, I think this is about all I got. Going to post with these and if I can get a chance tomorrow, will see if I can do better.

Last edited:
A bit better, but not my best in all sectors. I keep getting slower, so it's time to give it a rest tonight.

Oh no another awesome WRS combo ruined by combining it the an oval :yuck:

I wanted to participate on Indy aswell till i saw the oval was involved.

Shame

Sorry Kev but it's just my opinion. Hate ovals

Have to spend way to much time on the oval to come up with a competitive time. Time i want to spend on the road course

A qoute post from the beginning of the week.

Your right. I can always give it a try. My first idea was to only drive the road course in the shadow to get familiar with the track and using the leader board as a reference. Having really a hard time with the first sector and last one, the rest is pretty much straight forward because of the academy. Unfortunately i have limited time to spend on racing because of work. And that sucks because i always need a lot of laps to come up with a competitive time for my division. Saying al that and knowing what i capable of on the road course, I tried the (awful) oval. And your right Kev, i had a .3xx on my 5th lap. I was very happy it, setting a time like that in such a short time. So i haven't spend my time on the oval anymore and can focus on the road course. Hope i can find the time to nail the first and last sector in one lap. Because those sectors screwing up a good lap, for me. Like al the die hard time trail drivers know, nailing your best sectors in 1 lap is the hardest part of it, no matter the division your in. Once your starting to put in consistence lap times your (relative) best lap will come. But my first and last sector is for from consistence. So need a bit of luck on that one. Hope i haven't used al my luck on the oval :lol:

If i can't come up with a time i'm satisfied with. WRS helped me knowing the track better. Like WRS helped me getting a better driver over the past years.

And thanks Kev for the oval tune. And your gears for the road course.

ive been on this all week, i know i can go faster but ive managed to hit the wall of consistency instead of improvement.:yuck: very fun car and track combo 👍

might try it again before deadline

That's interesting, I wondered if faster guys were using it. For this combo, I haven't used it (OK I did for the first few oval laps). I find it draws too much attention and distracts from picking up your own markers, but that is just my opinion. Judging by your speed, it doesn't appear to hurt you!

I worked with the ghost on yesterday, learning to drive my own line and use it for reference only. Ultimately I set my fast time with it off, but I learned a lot before I did.

I don´t use the line for the breaking, i use it as a reference for breaking points, specialy in places where the visual reference is difficult (at Indianapolis, for instance, i know i have to break half a car before it on the long straight).
Off course, it varies acording to the speed, but on time trial it´s over and over again with the same speed so i never tought to much about it.
But last week, on the Portugues Gt Academy finals, the driving line was not allowed and we didn´t have practice time so i strugled a little, to say the least :grumpy:
So, for now on it´s without the line :sly:

New splits, leaving a lot on track but i´m going to the next week, the second and third sector reminds to much Gt Academy :ill:

Looks like fetchy picked up Joao's latest splits, so it's just next week that has issues, I am trying to sort it.

Anyhow, been running this some today, and have some modest improvements in splits, and substantial improvements in setup.

EDK Tune
RH 10/-15
Springs 16.5/10.5
Dampers 4 all around
ARB 7/2
Camber 2.2/0.8
Toe 0.0/-0.12
LSD 10/18/14

Aero = Max

BB 1/3

Transmission
Final all the way right
Top speed all the way left

Set

Final = 3500

Changed to a 6 speed gearbox, and it does provide accel advantage, but you need to do the GTA trick of lower gear to get in, with flick to higher gear to get out.

The combination of the brake balance and LSD settings help to settle the car when trail braking and accelerating out of the corners, that was key.

Also the damper settings help the car to not have a hyper spin out moment when on the rumbles.

Final chicane -

Hold the throttle as long as possible, downshift to 3rd to get into the left with left tires on rumble, downshift to 2nd to get into right with right tires on rumble, accel out and make sure you take limited left side rumble to maintain grip. It's a momentum chicane if there ever was one, try to keep speed up while working not to understeer.

Last edited:
First session splits:

Mostly only oval done so far; not expecting much, as I'll only have one more session. Interestingly, I'll be able to choose either one of two replays if I stick with that oval time, which I thought was a sign to stop.

Thanks to Kev and Blair for the tunes so far; I tweaked and frankentuned mercilessly at the oval.

I kicked the line habit for online racing, but still often use it for trialling offline (I hear you on the minimal reference, Joao - Bus Stop, anybody?). But I've totally got it under control - I can turn it off anytime! :lol:

Latest Posts

Back