GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 75 : Twin Ring Twin Ring Motegi

• Thread starter EDK
  • 208 comments
Thanks Arianrhod and right back at you 👍.

Thanks to Twissy, EDK, ConRollins, and MilleRSVR for the oval tips. My approach was completely wrong and reading your tips have helped me fix it.

Using EDK's oval tune with 45 rear downforce, and my own road course tune, which will be posted shortly after some fine tuning.

If anyone cares to try it for the oval (I turned a 33.145 with this).

I found the car to push a lot under accel. exiting the corners. This setup is an attempt to minimize the push.

DF max front, min rear.

RH- 10/-15
SR- 13/15
Ext.- 5/9
Comp. - 5/9
RB- 5/7

Camber- 1.5/0.0
Toe- 0.0/0.0

As mentioned earlier, being very smooth on the wheel is a must. On my Fanatec wheel I set the FF at 30(range from 0-100), spring and damper at 3(max.)

Turns 1 & 2 hold as tight as possible without touching the inside of the track surface, try to enter and exit with a smooth arc.

Turns 3 & 4, the key to a good or bad lap. Enter 3 slightly wide, let off the gas a bit early while still in 6th, no braking, turn down towards the apex. Down shift to 5th about 1/3 into the corner, back on the gas hard avoiding the slight curb on the inside. Shift up to 6th when back on the main straight.

Hope this helps anyone that cares to try it.

Tried your setup on the oval mate and I must say it works great 👍

New oval split for me:

Last edited:
:lol: busted :dunce: I always get the verbage wrong and I even took a front alinemant class in college :lol:

Didn't even realise you got it wrong, I just had a look for a picture of it :yuck:

Managed to improve my oval time but spent over an hour chasing my ghost on the road track, I expect to drop down the board quite soon.:ouch:

Tried your setup on the oval mate and I must say it works great 👍

Glad you like the setup. Not sure I can get much more out of that setup. I would have to turn a perfect lap to gain any time.

Turn 3 is a bugger, I get it almost right 1 out of 20 laps. The entry has to be almost dead on. Turn in too soon and you hit the inside curb, which pushes you wide and kills the drive out. Turn in late and there seems to be no grip, pushing you up towards the barrier, plus it's the long way around the corner.

Don't know how Twissy got into the 32.9s. :bowdown:

Last edited:

A second better at the line on the road course but lots of improvement needed. Very sloppy. :yuck:

First splits, still trying to figure T1 of road course :ouch:

Good to be back, after some crazy weeks :sly:

I spent 2 hours on the oval just to get into the 32's... no laps on the road course..

I fear this is one of those weeks..

Thanks Arianrhod and right back at you 👍
So you've upped the stakes. 👍

I'll see you that T3 and raise you T2. :sly:

My best T2 yet on the road course but looking for about 0.4 in total on the basis of my best sector times so far. :) I'm stuck on the oval at 33.1's - 32.9's seem impossible so I've no clue how the D1ers are doing that. :ill:

Good session on the the road course. Blitzed (for me) T1 and T4 but a little tentative mid lap. A quarter of a second to find based on my best sectors. Here's my new splits...

Last edited:
Slow start for me this week. Haven't quite cracked the oval. I think my entry speed in turn 3 is a bit high as I understeer a lot on entry. I also need to try a few of the set-ups listed (which I assume are better than mine!). My car also hasn't broken in yet, so that will help as well.

Really enjoy the road course, just can't drive it consistently. I screw up a different corner (or two!) each lap. But, it's a fun course.

Why an oval?!? OMG do I dislike ovals...

The car is very satisfying to drive :) After the GT-A experience on this track, it is fun to have a car that drives like, well, a car!

First go:

Just to show how little tuning I've done in GT5, I was using logic thinking the front was the front and the rear the rear for springs, bars and shocks. Then I read EDK's tune and FREAKED out that the settings are reversed:banghead: WTF!!!!!!!!! I know PD has a few things to clean up but this is just BAD.

First off, GREAT tune Kevin 👍

Put in another 15 laps & came out with these:

Why an oval?!? OMG do I dislike ovals...

I explained in the Steward's notes in the first post. And a bunch of people have posted tunes and tips. If you spend about an hour there, you should be within 0.2-0.3 of the top time, and you can be dine with it.

Just to show how little tuning I've done in GT5, I was using logic thinking the front was the front and the rear the rear for springs, bars and shocks. Then I read EDK's tune and FREAKED out that the settings are reversed:banghead: WTF!!!!!!!!! I know PD has a few things to clean up but this is just BAD.

Yeah, that's old news, we figured it out sometime back, and now it's the first thing I do when tuning a car. I set the Ride Height to maximize turning and then adjust everything else around it.

I don't like that it makes the cars look so silly on replay, but beyond that, I could really care less. It's not like the tuning settings have ever been fully based in reality anyhow.

Working on the road course, I'll get to the oval later (maybe):

Edit:

Spent an hour on the oval trying all kinds of stuff and getting no where... Then I remembered about the oil 💡 After an hour I had lost 11 HP!!! Oil change and set a new PB. I have more to gain on the road coarse, so I'll put the oval aside (hopefully for the week!).

Last edited:
Another productive session tonight and I found 0.4 just in the last sector on the road course. A bit of swapping around in the other sectors but my best lap today is 0.3 better than yesterday. I think I can go about another 0.2 off my total time. Well, I hope anyway. :)

Kevin, I'm using your tunes, thanks. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I never use 6th gear on the road course.

I would welcome some advice from anyone on the very last turn, also. Is it better to avoid the inside rumble or to aggressively go over it? Or something in between? I'm struggling a bit, maybe I should be aiming for a later apex.

I don't think I'm ever going to get the road course figured out. Just a wast of my time. Maybe in a couple of days or something. Not a good day for me. To bad it wasn't the Tom's, that supra has always been one of my favorites. Maybe I'll goof around w/ it and see if it's the car or me. I would have thought that the cars would be simular except for the skins but this one feel under powerd and Kevins setup isn't working for me on either track. Maybe it's to soon to be back here after GTA or something, have fun guys I'm on break............

Tried Kevin's Oval tune with DF 35/50.

Al

Wow Al, great times you got there, you overclassed a division higher !!!
Well done 👍 I hope I will be able tonight to set some better times, not used Kevins tune yet, kind of looking forward to it....

Here's my setup for the road course.

Aero is maxed out

Final drive - 3.713

LSD - 50/45/15

Height:F -5 R -4
Spring Rate: 18.8/15.8
Ext- 8/7
Reb- 6/4
Roll Bar-5/5
Camber:3/2
Toe:0/.02

Kevin, I'm using your tunes, thanks. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I never use 6th gear on the road course.

I would welcome some advice from anyone on the very last turn, also. Is it better to avoid the inside rumble or to aggressively go over it? Or something in between? I'm struggling a bit, maybe I should be aiming for a later apex.

Yeah, it ended up being a 5 speed setup. The thing about this track - It has a lot of straights, but none of them are very long. I tried setting the car up with a 6 speed that would max out on the longest straight, but it just felt awkward everywhere else. With the 5 speed, it seems to have the right amount of pull everywhere. I'll mess with it some more when I run the road course again.

The rumbles in that last chicane have a tendency to upset the car. You want to take some of that inside rumble, but I would say left 2 wheels on tarmac for stability. The main thing is to make sure you are not so obsessed with holding full throttle as long as possible in the turn prior that you miss the optimum approach angle for the chicane. The main thing with that whole complex, including the corner before, is to get back on the gas as soon as possible when exiting the chicane onto the start finish straight. That would mean a later apex, as you have mentioned.

I think I could give a better writeup if I had driven the road course between Sunday and now, but I have not. Will try to give you more when I get back in.

Used EDK's new oval tune and gained over a tenth :) Using his road tune too but still struggling to beat my time, feels possible though with a bit more effort.

I noticed I was hardly hitting 6th gear with my tune aswell so changed it and it felt wrong, not been able to get it back to how it was since.

Wow Al, great times you got there, you overclassed a division higher !!!
Well done 👍 I hope I will be able tonight to set some better times, not used Kevins tune yet, kind of looking forward to it....

Thanks! Good luck! I am headed back to the road course now. I think I am done with the oval.

Al

Oval: 32.997
T1: 30.243
T2: 25.479
T3: 22.151

I too have to thank EDK for both set-ups 👍 I've tweaked them both a bit, but mostly for driving style.

As for that lap, I can't put together a lap with good first and last splits :(

I'd do more laps with this combo, but currently it's storming and I don't want to risk damaging any of my components.

Found some improvement, but ran out of time, hope to continue tomorrow :

Managed a slight improvement tonight!

Loving trying to creep up the leader board and having alot of fun trying to stay ahead of you Pilmat, we've been swapping positions from the beginning!

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back