GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 88 : GT Out of That BRZ Before you FR-S

• Thread starter EDK
  • 165 comments
Might have to give up 2nd place div 4. Ps3 vidio output died. Looking into a new unit. I think my Hard Drive is Ok.

Have you tried a different cable?

Also, it might be worth trying this:

1. Put PS3 in standby mode (red light should be on).
2. Hold power button until it beeps twice and let go when it does.
3. Display will be reset.

And another note, you can't take a hard drive out of one PS3 and place it in another. The PS3 will force a format of that hard drive and you will lose the data. You have to transfer the data to an external drive or from one unit to the other by connecting them with an ethernet (Cat.5e) cable.

Hopefully your PS3 isn't lost for good.

Is there any difference between the two rear wings available or are they all the same? Im wondering if theres an advantage of running one over the other

Is there any difference between the two rear wings available or are they all the same? Im wondering if theres an advantage of running one over the other

I can't see there being any difference but this is PD so you never know :dopey:

Are any of you guys using active steering? If so what are the benefits to it for this combo?

I can see Joao is using it, maybe you can tell me if you first tried with it off, and is it faster with it on?

I am going to have another go at this tonight and see if I can improve, I don't see it happening though, really struggling.

Another question, is anybody running without the wing? I know it's faster when running the seasonal TT without it but I always thought this was so you could put more power into the car.

Sorry for the unsharp picture, just not my thingy :crazy:

Div 4 by your name isnt looking too good it should be Div 2 bronze :) Nice first sector, Ive seen .220s there but blew it right away I've now decided not to look at my splits until im done with the last S corner

I can't see there being any difference but this is PD so you never know :dopey:

Are any of you guys using active steering? If so what are the benefits to it for this combo?

I can see Joao is using it, maybe you can tell me if you first tried with it off, and is it faster with it on?

I am going to have another go at this tonight and see if I can improve, I don't see it happening though, really struggling.

Another question, is anybody running without the wing? I know it's faster when running the seasonal TT without it but I always thought this was so you could put more power into the car.

Ill would try it but at this moment I decided to just concentrate on the laps instead of changing too many things in the setup only to be back where I started with it.

As for the wing Im running with the very big wing, I did do some laps where I forgot to put max downforce and lost some speed through the high speed turns after the first hair pin, Im assuming it would be worse without it

And I havent used active steering as I always thought it had negative effects, Ill try it and see if im faster.

Not a very good last sector but this will have to do for today

Now off to try the seasonal with engine stage 3

Did the seasonal and the car is very nervous especially in second/first gears so active steering helps a lot im assuming thats why people are using it. The car we are using for this combo isn't nervous at all so active steering would probably make it worse with all this understeer the car has

Last edited:
Its of no benefit with this car really, particularly if you're running max aero. Its a pretty well balanced car and has good traction for its power so active steering just makes the steering feel heavier and induces a slight understeer as a result. Active steering is generally only of benefit (in my opinion anyway) with cars that have inherent instability (eg Toyota MR2 and Lotus Elise) or RWD cars where the power/torque is very high relative to traction. That said, its best to use a setting you feel comfortable with - different styles suit different characteristics.

On aero - I've run max and min downforce and everything in between and can't honestly feel any difference round most of the track - max does however allow more trail braking into the hairpin in sector 1 and the second left hander into the second tunnel in sector 2.

I've managed to sew together a fairly good 1st and 2nd sector now and then stuck a new PB 3rd sector on the end :)

Pretty happy with the lap on the whole. Best sectors say there's another tenth-and-a-bit to be had (43.971 and 40.594) but given that this lap has my best run to the line, I reckon I'm done. Loved this car already, love it even more now... and GVS has always been one of my favourite tracks.

Good luck guys 👍

Its of no benefit with this car really, particularly if you're running max aero. Its a pretty well balanced car and has good traction for its power so active steering just makes the steering feel heavier and induces a slight understeer as a result. Active steering is generally only of benefit (in my opinion anyway) with cars that have inherent instability (eg Toyota MR2 and Lotus Elise) or RWD cars where the power/torque is very high relative to traction. That said, its best to use a setting you feel comfortable with - different styles suit different characteristics.

On aero - I've run max and min downforce and everything in between and can't honestly feel any difference round most of the track - max does however allow more trail braking into the hairpin in sector 1 and the second left hander into the second tunnel in sector 2.

I've managed to sew together a fairly good 1st and 2nd sector now and then stuck a new PB 3rd sector on the end :)

Pretty happy with the lap on the whole. Best sectors say there's another tenth-and-a-bit to be had (43.971 and 40.594) but given that this lap has my best run to the line, I reckon I'm done. Loved this car already, love it even more now... and GVS has always been one of my favourite tracks.

Good luck guys 👍

Thanks for the detailed description on active steering :cheers:

I have really struggled on this to put down a solid lap, I have seen 43's in T1 but struggled to find pace through T2. I do have slightly better splits that I haven't posted yet as I have had better but ruined it in T3.

Really struggling for consistency, the amount of restarts to eventually get through the first turn has been frustrating. If things don't improve I probably won't submit, problem areas seem to be turn 3 (maintaining speed through there) and the hairpin, in fact probably the whole of T2 in general.

To give you all an idea of how much i'm struggling I have over 1300 miles already racked up, with nothing to show for it :crazy:

Great splits Chris, you seem to have got a lot faster since I last had a go at one of these WRS events, your division trophy is the wrong colour :sly:

One more thing, if slow in fast out applies this week, there is where all my troubles lie as I have never understood this.

Last edited:
After all the miles I have put in this feels like my limit

T1 44.165
T2 40.765

Saying that I have been faster through T1, as for T2 though that sector seems to be killing me. It's rare that I seem to get through T1 right, I even messed up turn in for turn 3 which resulted in losing a tenth.

I seem to really struggle under braking, mainly the last 2 sharp turns through T3 so I may try changing the brake bias for my next attempt.

Brake bias is currently default, anybody experimented with it and found a good setting? I know it's probably down to personal preference but at this stage I will try anything to find some more speed.

Racing lines seem to be crucial in T2, this is one of those areas where "slow in fast out" applies in my opinion.

Still not at a time where i'm happy to submit yet though.

Racing lines seem to be crucial in T2, this is one of those areas where "slow in fast out" applies in my opinion.
Racing lines are always crucial aren't they? And slow-in-fast-out is always my approach, except in cars that don't need to slow down through corners :sly: Plus your sector 2 time isn't far off Rutter so what are you complaining for? Get your foot on the throttle and stop your whining lad. See you at the finish line :mischievous:

Racing lines are always crucial aren't they? And slow-in-fast-out is always my approach, except in cars that don't need to slow down through corners :sly: Plus your sector 2 time isn't far off Rutter so what are you complaining for? Get your foot on the throttle and stop your whining lad. See you at the finish line :mischievous:

:lol: That sector 2 is a one off.

I would say I was more describing my problems rather than whining, If I was whining my last post would of been more about the dislikes of my wheel :dopey:

I stayed away from that subject though :)

Here are some new splits that beat my overall time by a hair :dopey:

T1 44.191
T2 40.753

Good afternoon gentlemen :) Sorry to gatecrash at the 11th hour. Its been a while since I last took part in WRS but I couldn't resist a go at this one. Grand Valley is such a challenge but great fun and the cars are lovely to drive. I don't have the Subaru and decided to run the Toyota using the setup Chris posted at the beginning.

I've done faster T1s, even as fast as a 44.0 but this was my fastest T2 by a mile. T3 felt ok but I've thought that before. :dopey:

Not much of a turnout from Division 2 this week. Why is that?

New splits. I think I've reached my limit. Submitting this lap. Thanks to Jack for the tune.

Tried the whole week to get fast at this, but never got where I wanted so I decided to not submit this week. I put almost 1000 km in it.
I think the combo is very addicting, did even a A-Spec Endurance with this car just to get the feel better, but unfortunatly it didn´t help much :crazy:

Improved my time this morning. Really close on exit of turn 2 almost 3 wheels off. Still using your setup Chris 👍

Good afternoon gentlemen :) Sorry to gatecrash at the 11th hour. Its been a while since I last took part in WRS but I couldn't resist a go at this one.

In my case, it's because I've been utterly wrecked by Monday night a few weeks in a row. As for real D2 drivers, dunno - I'm still also dealing with promoted-beyond-competency stress :sly:

I've had a crack at it, but not much to show, yet. In the unlikely event I still have four functioning brain cells left together for tonight and manage a twelfth-hour submission, splits:

T3 is rubbish, and if I ever get T2 right with T3 (neither right now), I'd be very happy.

If the cars drive like that for the money, I'll take one of each.

I'll have to turn the PS3 on tonight when I get the chance so I can submit for this week. Don't want to wake up tomorrow to find out the power is out for some ungodly reason.

Improved my time this morning. Really close on exit of turn 2 almost 3 wheels off. Still using your setup Chris 👍

Bugger. :mischievous: Great splits mate. 👍 You make a habit of beating me with my own setup... :sly:

I wasn't going to sit by and watch though, so threw another session in:

Best 1st sector so far and as a result, backed off too much through the double left. Still not a bad 2nd sector but my best from tonight was a 40.553! :crazy: Lost about half a tenth from my best 3rd sector too which means in theory, there's another bloody 2 tenths out there. I hate that. :sly:

I may not have enough time to push through on this combo :( the World Series is gobbling up my spare time (go SF) and I have business obligations that will take up all my spare time tomorrow. Good luck to everyone pushing through or have submitted already. I don't know if I could have went much faster considering how quick my other D3erz are this week. Good luk guyz 👍

Just saw everybody using on the TT, so i figured it would be faster, so didn´t try without it.

Insane T1 Chris 👍👍

After a lot of cursing on that S before the final straight :ouch: managed a lap i´m happy with.

Don´t worry Chris :sly:, lost two tenth on T3 to my best, so it´s not a good run to the line but at least i managed to get to the finish :crazy:

Thank you GTPorsche, recovered PS3, had two bad HDMI cables. The break seemed to help my splits.

Div 4 by your name isnt looking too good it should be Div 2 bronze :) Nice first sector, Ive seen .220s there but blew it right away I've now decided not to look at my splits until im done with the last S corner

I know div 3 would suit me better :) Still way of div 2 tough...

I will enjoy your company once again. Your times this week are sick though!

I have done a lot of miles with these cars, so maybe that gives me an advantage. I also like the track...

There will be no more improvement, eventough I still feel there is more out there. Woke up Sunday morning with a bad flu.... need to get better now instead of race like a 'wildman'.

PS : My best times where achieved with the tune of Rutter (thank you for this)

Last edited:
Thought I would experiment with FFB today and try lowering it as I was using a high setting. Was impressed with the feel of the car, it felt a lot smoother and I didn't seem to be squealing the tyres.

Only had time for a 20-30 min session but managed to improve by about half a tenth :)

I am hoping to have time to get one more session in before the deadline as I feel a lot more comfortable with the car with a lower FFB setting, laps were certainly more consistent :D

T1 44.137
T2 40.730

I was far to late braking for the hairpin in T1 :ouch: At least if I have time before the deadline I know there is more time out there.

Excatly what I have been doing, I lowered the FFB to 5 instead of 10.

I think mine was on 8 in game and 100 on the wheel, I just changed n game down to 5 and it felt a lot smoother for me.

If I don't get another chance to run i'm not sure if I will submit anyways, braking late for the hairpin sure cost me so will want to try and sort that corner out, not to say I will be able to hold it together for the rest of the lap though :crazy:

Great splits Chris, mighty T1!👍 Made me have another crack at it and managed to improve by a massive half tenth.

T2 was a mess :ouch: Submitting so good luck all.

Back