GTP_WRS-Online Event 11: Sweeping Willow

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 127 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got lapped in room A, with a couple of mistakes. The worst was going wide in the final turn, which I saved like a boss, then ploughing into someone while on my way into the pits... if only I'd pitted a lap earlier. (Was thankfully not caught on the broadcast).

Glad I did get lapped, though, because I learnt a couple of new lines I'd like to try out.

I got lapped in room A, with a couple of mistakes. The worst was going wide in the final turn, which I saved like a boss, then ploughing into someone while on my way into the pits... if only I'd pitted a lap earlier. (Was thankfully not caught on the broadcast).

Glad I did get lapped, though, because I learnt a couple of new lines I'd like to try out.

Be glad you did not go off in the last turn. It takes days to get back to the tarmac :lol:

Be glad you did not go off in the last turn. It takes days to get back to the tarmac :lol:
... I didn't make it into the pits, ended up hitting the pit wall and off into the gravel on the inside of the track. It took a little while to maneuver myself back on track and into the pits. :lol:

Besides that, it was a relatively successful race, and the longest I've done since switching to MT.

... I didn't make it into the pits, ended up hitting the pit wall and off into the gravel on the inside of the track. It took a little while to maneuver myself back on track and into the pits. :lol:

Besides that, it was a relatively successful race, and the longest I've done since switching to MT.

I went straight off in between the barriers a mile off the track, TWICE :lol:

The first time I just went too wide on lap 2, running in 3rd. The 2nd time, I just pushed too hard with worn tires, trying to catch up.

We had a fun race in room B. Great win @Argon!

Wish I would not have pushed too hard. Needless to say I went off in the last turn twice and got lapped. Still had fun! Great event guys!

WD Mike I watched the race

Thanks you but honestly after I slipped up that should have been a win for @GTP_Patrick1. We were on different strategies and it would have been super close if we hadn't both had an off. Feel really bad taking the win but it was an awesome race and I never thought I'd enjoy Big Willow that much.

Well done to all the new guys in our room too you put up a good show :cheers:

Thanks to @Gravitron and @GTP_Dutchy for managing two rooms full of keen racers, awesome job guys 👍

Last edited:
The worst was going wide in the final turn, which I saved like a boss, then ploughing into someone while on my way into the pits...
That was me being an idiot. :ouch: Was trying to time my re-entry for the umpteenth time, to be behind you and didn't realize you were going for the pits! Sorry @ColinNZ !

Apologies to all, that was a race I want to forget, and was close to rage quitting when it was hard to get out of people's way and keep it on track.

Small price to pay to get participation over 16! :gtpflag:

A relatively uneventful race for me tbh. Qualified 7th after exploring the track limits at the end of my first hotlap, effectively neutering both.
A nice, tentative start and clean into the rabbits ear with sig166 (sorry, not sure what your gtp name is) right up my chuff. I lost traction exiting omega a few laps in and may have screwed up sigs line. Sorry mate.
Spun twice in total, both on the omega exit, once just because I can and second time whilst I was chasing down @Speedy6543 after pitting and got throttle happy and Pineappled myself!
Later on, @alexamenos was gaining hard on me on worn tyres. Couldn't remember where my hazards were as I was intending to pit but moved over on the last turn to ensure he got the inside line. At about the same time he backed off to follow me through. Didn't mean the brake check mate!
All in all, I'm overperforming this week and managed 4th against some very fast and very clean racers.
Didn't manage to pick up any new lines, I think they're pretty spot on, I just lack finesse on the throttle. Steering fluidity has improved immensely, though.
Thanks for hosting @Gravitron. Was nice to put voices to a few names.

Sorry for interrupting your race last night guys, never raced online so didn’t realise. It was while I was spectating that I realised I was taking the last corner in the wrong gear, I just hope if I get time Monday evening I can find the time lost in the final sector.

The online races seem a good place to be for tips and things, I would never have known I was doing the last corner wrong otherwise :cheers:

Sorry for interrupting your race last night guys, never raced online so didn’t realise. It was while I was spectating that I realised I was taking the last corner in the wrong gear, I just hope if I get time Monday evening I can find the time lost in the final sector.

The online races seem a good place to be for tips and things, I would never have known I was doing the last corner wrong otherwise :cheers:
It's usually not an issue to have people watch, but this was our first event on GTS where we filled the room, and then some. :crazy: I didn't handle it very well. :P

Great win @PASM :cheers: Awesome job on 2nd and 3rd @monoha @suprajef!

Quali:

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180210131125.png

Race:

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180210140549.png

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180210141158-crop.png

Fastest laps:

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180210143428.png

EDIT: I should have been in room B, so I look forward to see those results. :D

I just wanted to recap my WW-race as well. Had a decent quali lap, could've gone faster but I was fairly happy.
During the race I could maintain a decent pace, following @alexamenos and @monoha but I've made a huge mistake at the last turn (I'm starting to hate that one...) 1 lap before the 2nd pitstop. That cost me 30sec, after that my race was pretty much over. After another small mistake 2 laps before the end I got lapped and that was pretty much it.
Too bad, could've finished 4th.
Anyway, I'm still looking forward to the EU race on Wednesday :)

Thanks for the awesome race guys!

I also want to recap my intense WW race, where I finished on P2 with only two mistakes and no off track. I actually spend most of the pre-race practice off track to learn how to get back again.

Started 4th behind the top guys, @Ph1sh , @suprajef (Pokey) and @PASM and I had already decided on a 3 stopper and fuel map 1 all the way.

First stint: Got to P3 early and I kept pressure behind Pokey while PASM kept getting further and further away from us. @Espial and @alexamenos right behind us. Was intense just by being on P3 but could maintain pace. The first mistake happened in the pits as I miscalculated the fuel (seems to happen to a lot here - damn you formation lap!) as I didn't put enough fuel on. The cost of that mistake came in the end of the second stint.

Second stint: Got out just in front of Alexamenos who put on a lot of pressure, with success; my second mistake, was losing the rear on turn 4 and Alex could easily pass. Luckily I catched it fast enough and I was only a car length behind him. My turn to put on some heat, which resulted in a mistake for Alex. Espial was just behind us. @Speedy6543 and PASM in front now, which were on a 2 stopper, they pitted and PASM came out just behind me. I managed to lead the race for 4 turns until PASM beautifully overtoke me as we danced parallel back and forth from inside to outside at turn 3,4 and 5 👍. As I started my last lap of this stint i only had 0.8 fuel left and had to adjust my fuel map to 4 and later 6 to make it while Pokey gained a lot on me. I pitted with 0% fuel.

Third stint: Again I came out (P5) barely infront of Alexamenos with Speedy in front of me. Speedy went offtrack and Alex was going hard at me. Pokey came out of the pits behind us and @Renrag39 was fuelling, so up to P2. I pulled a bit away from them, giving me a few laps breath. Then Pokey slowly gained on me and and PASM came out of the pits in front of us after his second and last stop. Pokey was up my rear for a couple of laps, that was so intense! And we eventually pitted at the same time!

Last stint: Pokay had a faster stop, as I fuelled 10% more and I was sure I fuelled exactly what I needed to finish the race on map 1. So that became very interesting! We had ~3 seconds between us for 9 laps and eventually Pokey drove with less power and I could overtake on the final lap, and I could finish the race just hitting 0% fuel on P2. PASM was way ahead on P1.

What a race :cheers:

Recap of my race:

I knew I had to fuel save to make the 2 stop work. But I could not take it easy because I had @Ph1sh breathing down my neck. Made a tiny error somewhere and Jordan got a run on me. I defended the inside, staying as low as possible. I guess there was a bit of contact, maybe a bit of lag, because I didn't notice it. Sad to see Jordan go off, but I continued.

When I reached lap 14 with a lap of fuel left, I knew I was good for the rest of the race. I rejoined from the pits behind @monoha. I though, a fast Dane in a Corvette, where have I seen that before? :D I decided to follow for a while and emphasize the fuel saving. As the car got lighter I got a bit closer and decided to go all out and try to pass. While doing so I drove my fastest lap. We had a good battle going side by side for 3 corners and I managed to sneak ahead on the outside.

After my second and last stop I wanted to bring it home. I could not drive the final corner right anymore and decided to take less risk. Although I put 2 wheels in the grass in the final lap, I got the win :) Good racing everyone :cheers:

Thanks for the awesome race guys!

I also want to recap my intense WW race, where I finished on P2 with only two mistakes and no off track. I actually spend most of the pre-race practice off track to learn how to get back again.

Started 4th behind the top guys, @Ph1sh , @suprajef (Pokey) and @PASM and I had already decided on a 3 stopper and fuel map 1 all the way.

First stint: Got to P3 early and I kept pressure behind Pokey while PASM kept getting further and further away from us. @Espial and @alexamenos right behind us. Was intense just by being on P3 but could maintain pace. The first mistake happened in the pits as I miscalculated the fuel (seems to happen to a lot here - damn you formation lap!) as I didn't put enough fuel on. The cost of that mistake came in the end of the second stint.

Second stint: Got out just in front of Alexamenos who put on a lot of pressure, with success; my second mistake, was losing the rear on turn 4 and Alex could easily pass. Luckily I catched it fast enough and I was only a car length behind him. My turn to put on some heat, which resulted in a mistake for Alex. Espial was just behind us. @Speedy6543 and PASM in front now, which were on a 2 stopper, they pitted and PASM came out just behind me. I managed to lead the race for 4 turns until PASM beautifully overtoke me as we danced parallel back and forth from inside to outside at turn 3,4 and 5 👍. As I started my last lap of this stint i only had 0.8 fuel left and had to adjust my fuel map to 4 and later 6 to make it while Pokey gained a lot on me. I pitted with 0% fuel.

Third stint: Again I came out (P5) barely infront of Alexamenos with Speedy in front of me. Speedy went offtrack and Alex was going hard at me. Pokey came out of the pits behind us and @Renrag39 was fuelling, so up to P2. I pulled a bit away from them, giving me a few laps breath. Then Pokey slowly gained on me and and PASM came out of the pits in front of us after his second and last stop. Pokey was up my rear for a couple of laps, that was so intense! And we eventually pitted at the same time!

Last stint: Pokay had a faster stop, as I fuelled 10% more and I was sure I fuelled exactly what I needed to finish the race on map 1. So that became very interesting! We had ~3 seconds between us for 9 laps and eventually Pokey drove with less power and I could overtake on the final lap, and I could finish the race just hitting 0% fuel on P2. PASM was way ahead on P1.

What a race :cheers:
Yeah a great race! I messed up on the last pit and realized too late that I didn't have the fuel to make it. Great job everyone! Good win @PASM

Recap of my race:

I knew I had to fuel save to make the 2 stop work. But I could not take it easy because I had @Ph1sh breathing down my neck. Made a tiny error somewhere and Jordan got a run on me. I defended the inside, staying as low as possible. I guess there was a bit of contact, maybe a bit of lag, because I didn't notice it. Sad to see Jordan go off, but I continued.

When I reached lap 14 with a lap of fuel left, I knew I was good for the rest of the race. I rejoined from the pits behind @monoha. I though, a fast Dane in a Corvette, where have I seen that before? :D I decided to follow for a while and emphasize the fuel saving. As the car got lighter I got a bit closer and decided to go all out and try to pass. While doing so I drove my fastest lap. We had a good battle going side by side for 3 corners and I managed to sneak ahead on the outside.

After my second and last stop I wanted to bring it home. I could not drive the final corner right anymore and decided to take less risk. Although I put 2 wheels in the grass in the final lap, I got the win :) Good racing everyone :cheers:

Didn't cross my mind about Big Mag.. That made me smile :). Should have used his livery instead of my own, hehe.

Yeah I was certain you were saving fuel and tire while letting me taste P1 a bit :D. As mentioned, awesome pass! Its from 25:30 in the video above if any wants to see it.

Recap from my perspective:

First stint, ran right behind @Espial for the entire stint. It seemed like i had a small advantage over him in sector 2 but nowhere to make a pass so I pitted after lap 9 to go for an undercut.

Second stint, the undercut worked out as I wound up between @Espial and @monoha when they emerged from the pits. I followed @monoha around several laps until he had a bit of a spin coming out of t4. I promptly returned the favor on the next lap -- he got his nose just inside my right rear through rabbits ear. I hesitated a bit and wound up running wide and gave the position back.

Third stint, @monoha came out of the pits about half a car length in front of me and held his advantage through t1. I held pace with him for a bit but then he started to pull away. Pokey passed me as well and they opened up a fairly good gap. I was getting a bit flustered when I realized I had been running on fuel map 3 for I don't know how long. 🤬 Lemons from lemonade, I stretched the stint out an extra lap to make up for earlier undercut.

Last stint, I caught up with @Renrag39, wasn't sure whether he was on 2 stop or 3 stop. I was able to get along side him going into final turn, from there it was a game of chicken which I believe we both managed to lose, each of us bailing and attempting to concede position at about the same time. He pitted right away and that left me in 4th, 7 or so seconds behind a monoha and a full pit stop in front of 5th.

Easy cruise to the finish line...until I realize that I'm chipping away at the gap to monoha. So I do the newb thing and press and wind up deep in the sand about 2 corners later...by the time I figured out how to escape from sand @Renrag39 had over come my pit stop advantage.

Not a stellar last couple of stints from me but fun all the same. Well earned 4th @Renrag39 and awesome 2nd monoha.

Last edited:
Recap of my race:

You have no idea how surprised I was to see you in my mirror in the entry to turn 2, I almost fell off the road. :lol:

You have no idea how surprised I was to see you in my mirror in the entry to turn 2, I almost fell off the road. :lol:

Hehe, I can see how it was a surprise as I was far away before turn 1. The speed difference is big when coming out of the pits. It would have been fine to keep me behind in the corner and let me by on the next bit of straight 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back