GTP_WRS-Online : Networking Tips & Discussion

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 83 comments
Never did that. What is it?
What are network caches?
Cache is a seperate part of system memory that stores very small amounts of information, and is extremely fast. Alot of network based systems access cache, for example, if you load up GTPlanet, some of what is on the site will be stored in cache memory so you do not have to download the whole website again, you can simply load it from cache.

Likewise, on Gran turismo, loading into online lobbies, some information will be stored in cache to make your experience on the network somewhat faster. I couldn't say for certain what information the game chooses to store in cache but it does seem to store some information from other drivers. Clearing the cache can help some errors occurring when in online lobbies, even if it might mean getting in and around takes ever so slightly longer each time you do it.

Cache is a seperate part of system memory that stores very small amounts of information, and is extremely fast. Alot of network based systems access cache, for example, if you load up GTPlanet, some of what is on the site will be stored in cache memory so you do not have to download the whole website again, you can simply load it from cache.

Likewise, on Gran turismo, loading into online lobbies, some information will be stored in cache to make your experience on the network somewhat faster. I couldn't say for certain what information the game chooses to store in cache but it does seem to store some information from other drivers. Clearing the cache can help some errors occurring when in online lobbies, even if it might mean getting in and around takes ever so slightly longer each time you do it.
Thanks oink! I will try today! But I got another question: It deletes the updates, the replays and all that I've collected?

Thanks oink! I will try today! But I got another question: It deletes the updates, the replays and all that I've collected?
No not at all. You will notice nothing different. Cache is always volatile memory, and being overwritten continuously, as I said, it's just from system memory, so your save data is completely safe (that's on your hard disc).

There is an option to clear cache on the PS3 when not playing the game. Doing that will clear out all the updates and replays. I made that mistake once before I knew there was the option in the settings in the game itself.

There is an option to clear cache on the PS3 when not playing the game. Doing that will clear out all the updates and replays. I made that mistake once before I knew there was the option in the settings in the game itself.

Yeah, that data is not the cache. That is the actual game data, including all installed tracks and updates, on the hard disk of your PS3. Like Paul said clearing the network cache in the game under "options->network->clear network cache" is completely safe.

Yeah, that data is not the cache. That is the actual game data, including all installed tracks and updates, on the hard disk of your PS3. Like Paul said clearing the network cache in the game under "options->network->clear network cache" is completely safe.
I did this yesterday and I did NOT get DISCONECTED. It works! Thank you! :D

Cache is disk based though? Otherwise it would make no sense to load the game and clear the cache.
Nope, it's not disc based. It's part of the system memory like I mentioned earlier. If it were disc based it would be really slow, and defeat the whole purpose of it in the first place :)

Nope, it's not disc based. It's part of the system memory like I mentioned earlier. If it were disc based it would be really slow, and defeat the whole purpose of it in the first place :)

You could be right, but I'm not certain. True, a cache is used to save data in a location where it can be accessed quicker than the original source. If the original source is disk then of course the cache shouldn't be on a disk, but instead in memory. If the original source is RAM then the cache might be a high speed on CPU buffer. If the original source is the internet then the cache could be on disk (think web browser image cache). If the original source is a slow remote internet source then the cache might even be on a closer/faster internet source (like a server at your local ISP caching images or videos or streams for example).

How GT implements the cache is anybody's guess, but I wouldn't rule out a disk based cache saving info from PSN or other peers you race online, especially given the low memory on the PS3.

How GT implements the cache is anybody's guess, but I wouldn't rule out a disk based cache saving info from PSN or other peers you race online, especially given the low memory on the PS3.
Huh, that's a good point actually, I hadn't really considered that. I guess I was thinking of it in the more traditional sense, but contextually you're right, it may be being stored elsewhere. I wander how much information is actually stored then, because if it were to "cache" data onto the disc (from the net for eg. like you suggested), then clearing the cache should actually decrease the size of the game data file (Wouldn't have thought it would be saved onto "save data" regardless) on the ps3. It should be testable by checking the file size before, booting up the game, clearing the cache, and then rechecking the data size.

What's the best router bandwith to buy? Is because I don't see many people when I go racing online races.
I may be mis-interpreting your question, but routers don't determine your bandwidth. Some may vary on the maximum throughput they can handle but most modern routers will support pretty fast internet. Your bandwidth is determined by whatever you buy from your ISP. If you want faster internet you either need to switch providers, get a fibre package, or something along those lines.

As for router setups, the OP has a fair amount of info on how you can best setup a router for optimal connection in GT6.

I'm looking for some advice with my PS3/internet connection. I am by no means a network savvy person, so please use single terminology, if possible. My PS3 is set up in my basement and I have always used our wifi connection without too many issues. But I would like to make it more secure if I can.

We have dish network and the connection comes into our basement and then via coax cables to the modem (or router?) on the main floor. What I'd like to do is run a separate cable from the main wire coming into the house to the PS3. What device/set-up do I need to connect the coax cable to the PS3? Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Does the modem/router have any ethernet jacks? They would look like large phone-wire jacks:

ethernet.png

There's one of these on the back of the PS3 as well. If your modem/router has these then all you need is an ethernet cable long enough to stretch from the PS3 to the modem/router.
They can be quite long, I've used a 50ft cable with no issues.

Does the modem/router have any ethernet jacks? They would look like large phone-wire jacks:

ethernet.png

There's one of these on the back of the PS3 as well. If your modem/router has these then all you need is an ethernet cable long enough to stretch from the PS3 to the modem/router.
They can be quite long, I've used a 50ft cable with no issues.

Right, and I've done that when the PS3 was on the main floor, but I don't want to drill holes in the floor/wall/etc to get the cable down there. There isn't any other way except running the the length of the house, down the stairs and then back to where the PS3 is.

Last edited:
Well, that's a valid concern, and I know of other people who also didn't want to put holes in weird places in their homes, so they continue to use wifi.

There's also a technology that allows your home electrical circuit to be the conduit for networking traffic, and I've heard good things about it. Search 'powerline ethernet' and you should find it.

Right, and I've done that when the PS3 was on the main floor, but I don't want to drill holes in the floor/wall/etc to get the cable down there. There isn't any other way except running the the length of the house, down the stairs and then back to where the PS3 is.

I ran my cable through the air ducts. No holes and tucked the cable under the baseboard.

Do you have cable tv or satellite tv with internet over the coax close to your PS3, if so look at the second post I put up in this thread. You can leverage coax tv cable and get an ethernet connection to your PS3. That is what I did. The other option is ethernet over power line technology.

Do you have cable tv or satellite tv with internet over the coax close to your PS3, if so look at the second post I put up in this thread. You can leverage coax tv cable and get an ethernet connection to your PS3. That is what I did. The other option is ethernet over power line technology.

I have dish network as my provider, so that would be satellite TV. I'll have to re-read your post. I read it yesterday before I posted, but I'm not sure I completely understood it.

EDIT:
After re-reading your post and looking into DECA/MOCA adapter, it seems Dish Network would use a MOCA. I'll continue to look into this option. Thanks!

Last edited:
Note: All tests were wired connections directly to the modem with all other devices in the household turned 'off'. These were the best results I could get a hold of.

From two different servers:
3471861966.png

3471912544.png

Another two different servers:
96646082.png

96646166.png

From console connection test:
Obtain IP Address Succeeded
Internet Connection Succeeded
PSN Succeeded
UPnP Available
NAT Type Type 2
Note: Surprisingly, this is the first time I've ever seen it at Type 2. It's always been a Type 3 thing. Improvement?

I think it's safe to say my connection is far from the best. Over the past few months I've been getting constant disconnections from lobbies, and saying it's frustrating and disappointing is quite the understatement.
Just bought a new modem (unfortunately it's a modem/router) because my old modem was giving up the ghost, but this does little justice. I'm at the point where I feel I should just stick to offline GTP time trials. Any suggestions? I'm all ears for any and everything.

@KTR5 I can also suggest the powerline approach @Gravitron suggested. I have used this in the past and it works pretty solidly. The only requirement is that the different floors of your house are on the same circuit.

I have in the recent weeks had extremely sluggish car settings / garage when in an online lobby. Sometimes bad sometimes worse, it easily makes me miss races. Since the main Garage that has the corresponding features isn't affected, could this be a networking problem?

I have in the recent weeks had extremely sluggish car settings / garage when in an online lobby. Sometimes bad sometimes worse, it easily makes me miss races. Since the main Garage that has the corresponding features isn't affected, could this be a networking problem?
I haven't seen that personally, but I don't think it indicates a networking problem, I think it's more likely because the PS3 has more going on in the background when you're connected to a lobby vs offline Garage access.

Sometimes when I'm just sitting in a lounge chatting (not driving) my PS3 will go crazy accessing the GT6 disc for no apparent reason (nothing really to be "loading" in that case...).

I've noticed this too. When you go to pit (track) it's stop doing that.
Sometimes when I'm just sitting in a lounge chatting (not driving) my PS3 will go crazy accessing the GT6 disc for no apparent reason (nothing really to be "loading" in that case...).

Well, rebooting the router helped. I didn't think of it immediately since I had already done that recently. Now picking a car etc. is only fractionally slower than offline which is fine!

Edit: the process of entering the track is also quicker now.

Last edited:
My router is so close to the console that I don't experience any problems running wireless. If you have good signal your wireless can run at 54mbs (maximum speed for PS3). Your internet connection typically doesn't go over 20mbs so that's more likely to be your bottle neck.
The easiest way to find out is to connect it by cable temporarily and see if it makes a difference. Getting a wireless signal extender still might be a better option than drilling holes.

I'm trying to join the WRS event today, but get this message:
"entry was refused due to network incompability with the room owner [772]"
What is that supposed to mean?

edit. Solved!:D

Last edited:
et_
I'm trying to join the WRS event today, but get this message:
"entry was refused due to network incompability with the room owner [772]"
What is that supposed to mean?
Linked you here for tips at the top. Try simple things like clearing cache, resetting router.

Then move more complex, lots of detail in the op.

Guys said I was lagging in the Wednesday's race. Maybe that's the reason:
3647246879.png

Ping is not that bad, los angeles should be the place of the furthest racer.

Back