GTP_WRS Week 105 : Official Results

• Thread starter Vaxen
  • 126 comments
That's really strange. I certainly thought I'd sent fetchy the new time but I was struggling with my connection last night and I see that I didn't get a receipt from fetchy. I think I posted the splits from 1:24.018 too. What can I do to rectify this?

Did you get a replay of the time you sent to Fetchy? Upload that one instead.

Your aim should be to beat your handicap each week as that way you're racing against yourself and beating your handicap shows improvement.

Is there a chance to have an rough idea what will be the time to beat for my actual handicap ? Maybe some kind of procentual value from the leading time or similar ?

Is there a chance to have an rough idea what will be the time to beat for my actual handicap ? Maybe some kind of procentual value from the leading time or similar ?

That's a great question.

And to follow up on that one, theoretically speaking, suppose I am the only one to submit for a given week. How would my handicap be figured?

Have two things to say about this
:drool: and :bowdown:

👍

I wonder what it would've been if you'd only run it for 15 minutes. :lol:

This will be my last TT for a while... I'm glad it was a challenging one, glad I actually made it to the end this week and enjoyed the 10th Birthday of our beloved series. :cheers:

It took me a couple of runs to get the right setup :lol:

Sorry to hear that, I will miss having your competition :cheers:

This is the setup I developed from scratch this week, radical but it works for my driving style :sly:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92792462@N07/8509627459/in/photostream

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers guys, still a bit confused but I'll get over it :) Replay attached

Attachments

• GTP_Argon WRS Week 105 PAL.zip
    249.7 KB · Views: 7
Congrats to all.

Insane time Bandit!

And Lou, where did that T3 time come from? What a great T3 you had to come from behind and finish 2nd in Div2. Good job!

This was a very fun week for me. It seemed I just kept learning more and more about this track. I thought I knew this track well, but as I got into it, I was finding better and better lines that I never have tried before.

Congrats to Chris for the Div1 win, Mamba in Div3 (where the competition continues to be fearce even if Kreezy takes the week off) and Digital and b00gee60 to round out the winners in the respective divisions.

Attached is my replay.

Congrat to Bandit on an incredible lap and Vagabond for just squeaking it out at the end. Great job guys.

Attachments

• GTP_A7XMaverick_WRS_Week_105.zip
    245.2 KB · Views: 7
And Lou, where did that T3 time come from? What a great T3 you had to come from behind and finish 2nd in Div2. Good job!

Thanks mate 👍 was a really fun event, and very difficult trying to get close to your time by the end of sector 3.

I just really threw it at the final corner as my previous lap, which was a tenth quicker overall turned out to be dirty. So I restarted and saw a decent (although slightly slower) splits and so I just tried to get on the power as early as possible after the final corner to make up some time. I also managed a fairly smooth exit out of the left at the bottom of the hill at the start of the last sector which made a little time too I think.

Cheers for a great event for the 10 years celebration :gtpflag:

My replay is attached
View attachment GTP Lou8ball - WRS - Week 105.zip

Louis

Well done, survivors!

The tale of T3:

Code:
[B][U] Place  |  Driver PSN           |  Div  |   Split 1 |   Split 2 |   Split 3 |  ∆  |   Laptime |[/U][/B]
[COLOR=DarkOrange]      1 |  GTP_BanditKarter     | div 2 |    15.909 |    25.612 |    40.333 |     |  1'21.854 |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]      2 |  GTP_Vagabond         | div 1 |    16.040 |    25.556 |    40.426 |     |  1'22.022 |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]      3 |  GTP_A7XMaverick      | div 1 |    16.154 |    25.615 |    40.417 |     |  1'22.186 |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]      4 |  GTP_Worst_Driver     | div 1 |    16.455 |    25.837 |    40.561 |     |  1'22.853 |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkOrange]      5 |  GTP_Lou8ball         | div 2 |    16.493 |    25.797 |    40.778 |  +1 |  1'23.068 |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkOrange]      6 |  GTP_ConRollins       | div 2 |    16.345 |    25.868 |    40.956 |  -1 |  1'23.169 |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]      7 |  GTP_Anastasis14      | div 1 |    16.774 |    26.016 |    40.631 |     |  1'23.421 |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkOrange]      8 |  GTP_viper84          | div 2 |    16.602 |    26.058 |    41.092 |     |  1'23.752 |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Magenta]      9 |  GTP_Mamba            | div 3 |    16.395 |    26.029 |    41.358 |     |  1'23.782 |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Magenta]     10 |  GTP_orsche           | div 3 |    16.503 |    26.169 |    41.158 |     |  1'23.830 |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkOrange]     11 |  GTP_Patrick1         | div 2 |    16.503 |         0 |  1'24.189 |     |           |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkOrange]     12 |  GTP_Argon            | div 2 |    16.568 |    26.265 |    41.365 |     |  1'24.198 |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkOrange]     13 |  GTP_Rossi            | div 2 |    16.394 |    26.280 |    41.529 |  -2 |  1'24.203 |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Magenta]     14 |  GTP_Allibubba99      | div 3 |    16.756 |    26.178 |    41.867 |  -1 |  1'24.801 |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Magenta]     15 |  GTP_iainoflo         | div 3 |    16.895 |    26.338 |    41.653 |     |  1'24.886 |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Magenta]     16 |  GTP_Sjaak            | div 3 |    17.071 |    26.181 |    41.646 |  -2 |  1'24.898 |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Navy]     17 |  GTP_b00gee60         | div 5 |    17.083 |    26.224 |    41.851 |     |  1'25.158 |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkRed]     18 |  GTP_DigitalBaka      | div 4 |    16.654 |    26.558 |    42.039 |     |  1'25.251 |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkRed]     19 |  GTP_GDS              | div 4 |    16.804 |    26.623 |    41.985 |  -3 |  1'25.412 |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Magenta]     20 |  GTP_Crozzlow         | div 3 |    16.804 |         0 |  1'25.814 |     |           |[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkRed]     21 |  GTP_Tombstoneplt     | div 4 |    17.365 |    27.474 |    43.738 |  -2 |  1'28.577 |[/COLOR]

I had a really busy racing weekend, and had completely forgotten to break the car in come Monday night :ouch: Ah, well.

With regard to the handicap questions.... I'm not Vaxen, so this is all just IMHO/to the best of my available knowledge:

1) The combo handicaps are calculated only from the times in the given combo, and your current or qualifier handicap doesn't come into it, except for comparison/adjustment later. No-one's division "matters" in a given event; someone in the same division doing well or less well only affects the overall statistics, not your results directly.

2) It's all about mean and standard deviation, pretty much. The curve fitting parameters are a mystery to me as well, but the division par times (in both the qualifier and single events) are related to standard deviations below or above the mean, pretty much. They're not known or set in advance, they're really just calculated from the times of the racers actualy submitting.

3) Faster is obviously better :sly:

4) DQ's are removed from the results, and do affect handicaps a little as things are recalculated when the results are made official.

5) Individual event handicap results are added in over time as a weighted average with previous results. One bad one certainly isn't the end of the world.

I hope that helped a little, and didn't make it worse...

3---1'23.169---GTP_ConRollins (Replay Needed)
user118395pic1573412914.gif

Replay checked 👍

A few replays checked:

2---1'23.068---GTP_Lou8ball (Verified)
picture.php
- Nice job with a DS3 Lou. 👍

6---1'24.198---GTP_Argon (Verified)
picture.php
- Very clean and tidy. To maximise this car, you needed to get it turned in early, using the understeer to optimise turn in speed and then get on the power as early as possible. Not being critical - your lap was nice but a car like this needs "thrashing mercilessly" to get the best from it. :cheers:

1---1'21.854---GTP_BanditKarter (Replay Needs Verifying) - Certainly a lap on the limit, complete with abundant tyre smoke. 👍 It is, however, horribly close to off track in turn one so I'd rather get a word from the admins before verifying it. :ouch: These are the closest pics I could get:

trialmountaincircuit1r.jpg

trialmountaincircuitk.jpg

I don't mean to rain on your parade John but someone of your skill should not feel the need to submit a lap this close to dirty. It makes checking it a chore, going over and over the same spot trying to get the perfect pause point etc... The rules read:

• If you're not 100% sure that your lap is clean, then consider it dirty

...and I don't see that you could have been certain that this lap was clean. Its shouldn't be about desperation to get the win, which I'm certain you would have got anyway. Everyone makes mistakes but you are at alien skill-level so I would assume you could have run a similar lap time without cutting it so close. :sly:

It really doesn't get much closer then this:
TrialMountainCircuit.jpg

There is a sort of 'anomaly' frame that has the tire even closer to the edge - and the tire is actually sunken into the grass / rumble but the frame moves ahead when the pic is taken. It's rare, but it's happened before, and regardless, the tire was clean in that freeze frame as well so the lap is clean.

1---1'21.854---GTP_BanditKarter

Congrats on the win :cheers:

Chris is right though, that's really not the type of lap / replay we would like to see submitted without even so much as a heads up as to it's very, very close call.
Replay verifications are not supposed to be 'work' for the other drivers. Without a proper replay / ff funtion it's simply too much to ask someone to spend a lot of time trying to stop the replay exactly in the right spot. Fortunately this pic is from 3 seconds into the lap but it still required 20+ passes and several pic attempts to positively rule the lap clean.
In the future if you (or anyone for that matter) has a lap with this close a call then you can always ask an admin (there's lot of us ;) ) to check the lap before you submit the time. In the very least you should have supplied a pic of the tire with the time clearly marked so the others would know what to be looking for.

A few replays checked:

2---1'23.068---GTP_Lou8ball (Verified)
picture.php
- Nice job with a DS3 Lou. 👍

picture.php
- Very clean and tidy. To maximise this car, you needed to get it turned in early, using the understeer to optimise turn in speed and then get on the power as early as possible. Not being critical - your lap was nice but a car like this needs "thrashing mercilessly" to get the best from it. :cheers:

1---1'21.854---GTP_BanditKarter (Replay Needs Verifying) - Certainly a lap on the limit, complete with abundant tyre smoke. 👍 It is, however, horribly close to off track in turn one so I'd rather get a word from the admins before verifying it. :ouch: These are the closest pics I could get:

trialmountaincircuit1r.jpg

trialmountaincircuitk.jpg

I don't mean to rain on your parade John but someone of your skill should not feel the need to submit a lap this close to dirty. It makes checking it a chore, going over and over the same spot trying to get the perfect pause point etc... The rules read:

...and I don't see that you could have been certain that this lap was clean. Its shouldn't be about desperation to get the win, which I'm certain you would have got anyway. Everyone makes mistakes but you are at alien skill-level so I would assume you could have run a similar lap time without cutting it so close. :sly:

It really doesn't get much closer then this:
TrialMountainCircuit.jpg

There is a sort of 'anomaly' frame that has the tire even closer to the edge - and the tire is actually sunken into the grass / rumble but the frame moves ahead when the pic is taken. It's rare, but it's happened before, and regardless, the tire was clean in that freeze frame as well so the lap is clean.

1---1'21.854---GTP_BanditKarter

Congrats on the win :cheers:

Chris is right though, that's really not the type of lap / replay we would like to see submitted without even so much as a heads up as to it's very, very close call.
Replay verifications are not supposed to be 'work' for the other drivers. Without a proper replay / ff funtion it's simply too much to ask someone to spend a lot of time trying to stop the replay exactly in the right spot. Fortunately this pic is from 3 seconds into the lap but it still required 20+ passes and several pic attempts to positively rule the lap clean.
In the future if you (or anyone for that matter) has a lap with this close a call then you can always ask an admin (there's lot of us ;) ) to check the lap before you submit the time. In the very least you should have supplied a pic of the tire with the time clearly marked so the others would know what to be looking for.

Thanks for checking, I did check it at the time, and I decided although it was close it was clean, I also posted a picture in the event thread of it.... and warned everyone that it was close... But thanks anyway :)

...*clip*...
picture.php

Really appreciate the tips and advice and please be critical. I absolutely agree with your observation :cheers: It's one of the reasons I'm trying to make the move over to the wheel, just bought a T500RS :) . I just can't seem to get aggressive enough with my little DS3 without the lap coming apart like a clock spring.

Many thanks 👍 and congrats to Bandit, Vagabond and A7X on the podiums and also to lou8 that lap time with a DS3 was awesome :cheers:

p.s. Thanks Ealirendur that helped and you definitely didn't make it worse 👍

Last edited:
I use a DS3 too.

I'm still about half a second off my times when I use my new wheel and I have a feeling that last half is going to take some serious effort so I'll be in the DS3 club for a bit.

Nice time on the latest TT BTW :cheers:

Thanks for checking, I did check it at the time, and I decided although it was close it was clean, I also posted a picture in the event thread of it.... and warned everyone that it was close... But thanks anyway :)

Yeah, it was this one https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8165645#post8165645

Maybe I should have posted it here as well when the results came out. Obviously I try not to be in a situation where it is marginal but it just happened, I was fairly annoyed with myself for it :dunce:

I think you're still missing the point.

We expect that drivers are not consistently tying up the time of their fellow competitors and the admin staff unnecessarily by turning in marginal replays.

You might have made a note of it, but you really needed to be looking to find a cleaner lap that was easier to verify, even if it was slower. This might have been the "magic lap", but we've all had to throw those away due to situations like this one.

EDK
I think you're still missing the point.

We expect that drivers are not consistently tying up the time of their fellow competitors and the admin staff unnecessarily by turning in marginal replays.

You might have made a note of it, but you really needed to be looking to find a cleaner lap that was easier to verify, even if it was slower. This might have been the "magic lap", but we've all had to throw those away due to situations like this one.

It wasn't a 'magic' lap just cobbled together on the last day as I hadn't run the TT since wednesday, I apologize for taking up more of your than necessary but I'm trying to get promoted so I wanted a good handicap :) I had a lap that was half a tenth slower than this one but I wasn't sure if that would win or not what with Chris and Maverick improving their times significantly.

I will check a few replays later to make up for it ;)

Vagabond
A few replays checked:

2---1'23.068---GTP_Lou8ball (Verified) - Nice job with a DS3 Lou. 👍

Thanks for the check Chris, cheers. And also for your sector 1 video earlier in the week, couldn't get close to your time but seeing the line and braking for the left at the tunnel entrance helped, cheers.

Argon56
I just can't seem to get aggressive enough with my little DS3 without the lap coming apart like a clock spring.

Many thanks 👍 and congrats to Bandit, Vagabond and A7X on the podiums and also to lou8 that lap time with a DS3 was awesome

Thanks mate,
I found I had to use a bit more negative rear toe to make the car have less understeer which also helped me be a bit more confident on the exits and getting the power down earlier. And also raised the lsd acceleration slightly.

Also congrats on your first WRS event.
Cheers

Thanks for the check Chris, cheers. And also for your sector 1 video earlier in the week, couldn't get close to your time but seeing the line and braking for the left at the tunnel entrance helped, cheers.

Oh, I forgot about this :drool: .
Great time achieved by the way 👍

I'm still about half a second off my times when I use my new wheel and I have a feeling that last half is going to take some serious effort so I'll be in the DS3 club for a bit.

Nice time on the latest TT BTW :cheers:

Leaving use DS3's for a wheel huh? :indiff: I understand but you gotta go wheel at some point. It's nice to see the DS3 will help you through this TT though :dopey:

and Thanks, it was one of my prettiest laps ever. Hope I can do it again :sly:

1---1'22.022---GTP_Vagabond (Verified)

A tidy and clean lap 👍

Redline, tyres, fuel all correct 👍

INCOMING! another nooobie question, sorry folks!

Can and should anyone take a stab at verifying replays? Just want to make sure I'm pulling my weight around here and would be more than happy to review PAL replays as and when I get a bit of free time

INCOMING! another nooobie question, sorry folks!

Can and should anyone take a stab at verifying replays? Just want to make sure I'm pulling my weight around here and would be more than happy to review PAL replays as and when I get a bit of free time

Yeah I'd like to have a crack at it, but unsure of exactly what to look for - other than the obvious.

Back