GTP_WRS Week 11 : Sweeping Willow

• Thread starter Argon
  • 443 comments
A few laps to feel out the car

Screenshot_20180204-181615.png
Screenshot_20180204-181546.jpg

My take on Willow Springs International. Feel free to correct me and/or suggest different approaches, I'm only just learning this track!
I liked this combo far more than I thought I would. But with this car, it makes so much sense. Also, first Gr.3 i can manhandle without TC! Bonus!

SF straight, brake just before 100m board, into 4th gear, trail brake, clip rumble but don't take a huge cut, will destabilise because:- wide exit, but not too wide or you'll be racing Roadrunners! Meep, Meep!
Up to 5th at the kink, hold 5th round the rabbits ear, feather that throttle to keep a tight line and slowly drift left on the same arc into the straight.
Still in 5th, hammer the brakes a bit before the 50m board (75m), down to 3rd gear, let it the rear rotate and hug the kerb. Square the omega getting a fast exit downhill, still in 3rd to tame the beast, try not to kill the Chuckawalla that lives in the left hand dropoff. But don't worry too much, he respawns every lap!
Hook 4th as you wind off lock downhill, brake just before the end of the rh kerb and back into 3rd for the left hander. Shortshift into 4th to stabilise over the ridge and sweep off through the desert. The Desert Tortoise (Fastathan Ufinkyius) is in awe of you as you hug the rhs into 'The Sweeper' and drift left as the boards come into view. You're going pretty ****ing fast now. Wile. E. Coyote (Eatius Birdius) is challenging you to a drag race but blows up somewhere to your left, silly N.Korean rockets!
Hold your breath, clench your buttocks (helps with stability), it's final corner time! You've probably hooked 6th or are thinking of it. How deep dare you push it (Matron!)
Around the 150-100m board, out wide to the left, squeeze on the brakes to check your speed into 4th, expect to 'get schwifty' and try not to pit early because:- Big, nasty dip, right on the apex, (seriously, who's idea was this? A Roadworker with a bad attitude?) but you've got to hit it, maybe take a nibble at the kerb but don't get greedy or exit stage left. Then a leisurely cruise over the SF line.

Renrags' Tip of the TT:- Wear the brown trousers...

Edit: Adding my banker and target times. S1 23s/22.3xx S2 27s/25.8xx

Last edited:
Yeeeees! Went to the Jim Russel Racing Drivers School here. The track is well represented in GTS with the same Oh my God last turn complete with the little dip on the apex. When your right front thumped it “ you had done it right” . This is the longest operating race track in the US. And...coupled by what must be the iconic GT3 car of all time. Classic... nice job guys

@GTP_Nail Whoo that's a long time ago :)

Did you know the Corvette is also an off road car? Neither did I until this morning.:lol:

Ran 10 laps, 8 of them off roading but I now have a base time.

Lots more to improve on, like staying on the track or not doing donuts.

Love the combo, my wife is going to miss me this week as I put the miles on.

In my case it was winter spring 1971 . I was undergoing pilot uprade training in the KC-135 tankers ( Boeing 707). I was off every weekend so I drove 4 hours from The Big Valley then over the Techachipe pass and down into the High Desert on Fridays, stayed in a flea bag motel in Rosamond and lived my dream on Saturday and Sunday and then a bleary eyed drive back to my “ day job”.

Me and my buddy Retry came to these splits.:D

Nice combo,never liked the track but with this car I may change my opinion for the end of the week.:cheers:

For turn 1 , a quick downshift to third helps me to get a decent T1

0352F788-EF93-4028-B2A6-000C077B9600.png
0352F788-EF93-4028-B2A6-000C077B9600.png
In 1956, Russell set up the first motor racing school at Snetterton. It was very successful and Jim Russell Racing Driver Schools have played a role in the development of many young drivers including Emerson Fittipaldi, Derek Bell, Danny Sullivan, Tiff Needell and Jacques Villeneuve. In 1966, Russell was responsible for the cars and much of the action in John Frankenheimer'sfilm, Grand Prix, with actor James Garner learning to handle a race car for his starring role. The 'Jim Russell' name continues with franchised schools carrying the name.[2]

Back