GTP_WRS Week 11 : Sweeping Willow

• Thread starter Argon
  • 443 comments
My wife went to bed early and I couldn't resist...it took a couple of laps to get used to the speed but what a fun car to drive! I changed my avatar last week and I must be psychic as that is a picture of my wife and me standing on top of the largest sand dune in North America. :) I have already visited the sands of Willow several times...:boggled:

BB: +5 TC: 0 and "roof" cam is the view for me this week along with the magic hovering blue balloons. 👍

Last edited:
First attempt with my new T300RS. Quieter shifters and quieter start up calibration.

I haven't played with any BB settings yet. Shooting for another .5 this week.

I think I can brake a skosh later at turn 1.

I'm also finding it faster to hug the inside of turn 2 and give it 3/4 throttle when necessary. I think I'm gaining a bit of time by trail-braking the heck out of the entrance.

Jerome

Last edited:
Awful picture, but I saw it in real life at Sebring 2016. :drool: Going again this year with @EDK, @GTP_Patrick1, hosted by @Bleached and his Dad! Can't wait!

full

Better view from Le Mans 2017:

full

Last edited:
I always struggle going up the hill, but only in race cars am I a full second behind pace coming out of there :ouch: Killer splits! @Iceman 👍

Jerome

That line and the line through the omega was the only thing differing from my own. I go tight in the rabbits ear and wide entry through omega, really pleased my braking points matched. I don't use the cones because they end up everywhere!
Will give 4th go through bunnylug.

Thanks for the videos guys, learned a nice detail in the masterclass video, last turn the white line in the middle of track that guides you towards that final apex, really helping my consistency 👍
Also I've been shifting at 50% of the rev bar I figure since the peak power is at only 6,000 rpm.
But I'm staying in 2nd over revving over Omega, I think the engine braking helps me balance the car around the crest.
This is a crazy fun addictive combo :D

First attempt with my new T300RS. Quieter shifters and quieter start up calibration.

I haven't played with any BB settings yet. Shooting for another .5 this week.

I think I can brake a skosh later at turn 1.

I'm also finding it faster to hug the inside of turn 2 and give it 3/4 throttle when necessary. I think I'm gaining a bit of time by trail-braking the heck out of the entrance.

Jerome

Took me a week or so to adjust to the T300, braking especially. Not running the brake mod now, using a piece of dense foam behind the brake pedal.

More talk about shifting points, so I had to test this again. I also remember a GT3 daily race on Monza, where a top racers replay with the C7 showed shifting at 75% rev bar.

This time I wrote down the results and did 2 runs for each scenario;

Shifting at blinking: 24.506; 24.490
Shifting at 75% rev bar: 24.380; 24.369
Shifting at 50% rev bar: 24.369; 24.370
Shifting at 25% rev bar: 24.439; 24.442
.. units in seconds

I'd say the conclusion is to shift between 50% and 75% rev bar.

TC was set to 0 (not sure if this affects shifting time, but the TC blinks at shifts if it is on).

Like the last time the test was done on Tokyo Inner East Loop, approcing the start line with full gas in 1st gear, and shift up just as the finish line disapears from view in bumper cam. I keep in the middle lane till the first sector splits which are the times I posted above.
Feel free to challenge the methology, as it would be good to improve it if faulty.

Will run a session at Big Willow in a bit :)

Last edited:
More talk about shifting points, so I had to test this again. I also remember a GT3 daily race on Monza, where a top racers replay with the C7 showed shifting at 75% rev bar.

This time I wrote down the results and did 2 runs for each scenario;

Shifting at blinking: 24.506; 24.490
Shifting at 75% rev bar: 24.380; 24.369
Shifting at 50% rev bar: 24.369; 24.370
Shifting at 25% rev bar: 24.439; 24.442
.. units in seconds

I'd say the conclusion is to shift between 50% and 75% rev bar.

TC was set to 0 (not sure if this affects shifting time, but the TC blinks at shifts if it is on).

Like the last time the test was done on Tokyo Inner East Loop, approcing the start line with full gas in 1st gear, and shift up just as the finish line disapears from view in bumper cam. I keep in the middle lane till the first sector splits which are the times I posted above.
Feel free to challenge the methology, as it would be good to improve it if faulty.

Will run a session at Big Willow in a bit :)

Thanks for testing this, I was going to play around with it tonight, I have been going to limiter but felt like it wasn't as fast as shifting at 50%. Nice to see some stats on it from someone.

Thanks for testing this, I was going to play around with it tonight, I have been going to limiter but felt like it wasn't as fast as shifting at 50%. Nice to see some stats on it from someone.

You're welcome :)

First session, 80 km and only 2 force majeure pit stops.

Seen much better t1.

Back