GTP_WRS Week 12 : 500W

• Thread starter Vagabond
  • 292 comments
But enjoying the dirt where I previously hated it.
That is exactly what I had hoped this combo would achieve for some people. Thanks for that. :cheers:

Another good session for me too:

PB in sector 1 but lost 0.2 off my best 2nd secto. Up a tenth on the lap though. Getting more regular .3s in sector 1 so looking for about 0.25 in total, mostly from sector 2.

Finding time with this bugger is all about keeping it neat and picking up the throttle at the right point. Be patient about getting on it too heavy while you've got steering lock on - it will pull round but you'll lose precious time in wheel-spin. Use the full width of the track through the chicane in sector 2 but don't run out too wide on the exit or again, you will lose time in the soft stuff at the track edge. Turn 1, the hairpin, and the right turn onto the bridge in sector 3 require setting yourself up really early for turn in but remember that although lots of sliding looks good on dirt, that doesn't work well with the FF drivetrain and too much drifting will cost huge amounts of time.

Well this combo is fun, but I can't get the Understeer down any suggestions on the BB?? I am using 5/3. T1 is my hardest portion of the track, specially turn 1. I've watched Chris's Vidro several times, but like I say Understeer city!!

BB 5/5 ABS 1

Turn 1 requires early braking, early turn in. Try to minimise sliding on entry and don't run wide on the bridge as you need to keep as far right as possible for a straight entry to turn 2 - turns 2 and 3 are the key to a good 1st sector but it is vital to have a tight exit from turn 1 to get set up.

I also normally hate dirt/snow but I'm having lots of fun here. So thanks for the challenge mods (or just Vagabond if it was your idea).
I run 4/6 BB and in some turns use partial throttle while turning to get the front wheels to grab.

Those that use the DS3 with L2/R2 as your brake and accelerator, what buttons do you use for your gear changes?

I have normally been auto and X square for braking and gas. But have started using manual for this combo using L2/R2

I want to set it up so I can L2/R2 and x/square for brake and gas as I just can't get my head around using L2/R2 all the time, so want to just use it in places where I really need to feather the brake and gas.

Now I just don't know which buttons to use for the transmission haha.

Maybe I should just get a wheel and save all the hassle.

Hi @Jibatator I learnt to use manual while playing Forza's.
Clutch [X] Gear Up [O] Gear Down [ [] ]
kept the same layout for the DS3 but clutch button now redundant.

@Vagabond : The video and tips are helpful and appreciated 👍. It's my usual issue of watching a video/reading tips and then, thanks to my poor memory at the moment, forgetting all about what I read/watched by the time I run the event :lol:. I am not far off you on Turn 1 though slightly down on speed through it....it's the bridge and then the corner after I need to work on, specifically turning before I exit the bridge (I had been turning after exiting the bridge) and coming slightly off the throttle in the next corner. The other main corner I need to work on is the hairpin after S1 as that is where I'm losing most time.

Those that use the DS3 with L2/R2 as your brake and accelerator, what buttons do you use for your gear changes?
Concerning DS3, a bit/sort of off-topic: I've played GT2 (also 3 and of course the original) and Tourist Trophy which use L2/R2 and L1/R1, respectively. So I'd pick L1/R1.

I believe the secret to the first sector is in the right turn at the bottom of the hill. If you don't carry enough speed through here the engine bogs down.

The final sector could have been better

I believe the secret to the first sector is in the right turn at the bottom of the hill. If you don't carry enough speed through here the engine bogs down.

The final sector could have been better
You won't let me sun myself for long will you, or is it NielsG that is going to behave badly towards me:P:confused:

Hehe. I'm going to push a bit harder. I might be able to squeeze another 2 or 3 tenths out of it.

Have been trying to submit my time during the day, just to make sure my "old" Abarth still are within the rules and I keep getting a rejection:

I have "re-zipped" the save file and re-submitted multiple times. Checked the param.sfo file which clearly states:
Code:
Eiger Nordwand W Trail
Abarth 500 '09
Driver:.. NielsG

:confused:

I had the same problem when I send my replay for the last time trail! :ill:

Not a bad start... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't let me sun myself for long will you, or is it NielsG that is going to behave badly towards me:P:confused:

When we get to the deadline most of the div 3 usually have passed me. :lol:

But it's a very fun week and there's way too long between the dirt races in the WRS, so I'll work a little harder this week. :dopey:

Fifth or sixth session gave:

Submitted and accepted.

Nice last sector ;)

Hey Ruud. :) Nice splits. :cheers:

I had the same problem when I send my replay for the last time trail! :ill:

It was a track parameter on my save, that didn't match the expected one in the mods verification software. Staff got it sorted out very fast though. 👍

Well, it turns out that my major problem with this event is a combination of using x/[] and auto gears....I figure using auto is costing me anywhere up to a second a lap in time so, once I consider that, I'm fairly happy with my times.

Had another 30 lap run this afternoon and, now I have a brake bias I like, I am able to experiment with different lines etc. Managed to improve my overall lap time by 6 tenths.....also managed a 24.2 first sector and a 26.8 second sector so a 51.0 is possible, though have only been as low as a .2. My times clearly aren't anywhere near troubling most D3 drivers but I am still happy with my overall improvement of 2.2 seconds in 2 days given I had almost given up:

S1: 24.623
S2: 51.689

Just a heads-up, we're 90% decided we're doing this combo online next Wed. :mischievous:

That's a given every week of course, but in GT5 we never did a rally race. When there was a rally TT we would pick another combo for the following Wed online race because we didn't fancy dealing with a bunch of race incidents due to dust clouds.

But this thing's so slow:P that dust is only a factor half-way down the esses and the brake zone after the jumps. Should be a blast! Most likely 3 sprints for points, which is also different than our normal single 45-50min race.

@AspecBob, @PASM and I - no dust
eiger-nordwand-w-trail-jpg.137851

The worst of the dust
eiger-nordwand-w-trail_1-jpg.137852

Still cant nail the middle sector. Seem to sacrifice a little towards the end of the sector, or muff up the entrance to the bridge.

Still knocked a full half second from my full lap though.

@NielsG, I'm coming for you!!!! :)

@Vagabond - Thanks for the Vid. I can hit 23.6-23.9 first sectors consistently now. Just need one for the middle sector and the end please! ;)

Edit; Just checked my lapsheet, and I got all excited! Found my best possible lap was nearly a second quicker than I have! On closer inspection, the numbers I have written down say that I managed a 25.405 sector 2!!!! Amazing! Unfortunately, I may have written it down wrong, as not only is that half a second quicker than Vagabond in that sector, it is also 0.8 seconds quicker than any of my other laps. Oh well.

Last edited:
Had some laps after work last night and I'm very inconsistent up to T1 :mad: not too bad afterwards, here's the splits from my best save so far...

Seen a couple of 23.5's and some 49.4's, need lots more laps to get anywhere near 23.3 at T1... Great splits Chris 👍
Will try again at the weekend, Good luck to all playing in the dirt ;)👍

New splits (after chunking a 50.5 T2 and 23.8 T1 on consecutive laps) and a question:

Is hitting branches overhanging the track dirty?

Eiger Nordwand - W Trail.jpg

Fortunately, that's not from the current run.

Back