GTP_WRS Week 168 : Poor Man's 787B

• Thread starter EDK
  • 150 comments
Does anyone here use the driving line when doing TTs? I find that if i do - i will run far more laps early on - but that ultimately switching to no driving line, i will end up being faster, but it will take far longer to reach a point where i am comfortable with the track.

Would love to know how everyone else does it.
B

Does anyone here use the driving line when doing TTs? I find that if i do - i will run far more laps early on - but that ultimately switching to no driving line, i will end up being faster, but it will take far longer to reach a point where i am comfortable with the track.

B
I stopped using it long ago, back on Prologue. I initially found it useful online, finding braking points there can be more challenging.

But the dynamic nature of the line makes your braking points inconsistent and therefore hinders consistency in total.

I would suggest throwing it out, while knowing this will leave you with a steeper learning curve on the tracks you don't know as well.

Find fixed objects to reference for braking points, and if you are unsure about lines, use old TT replays or other videos on YouTube to learn the line. The game line is often conservative in this respect as well, sometimes not showing the fast way for the car you are driving.

Pulled a quarter second out of the lap with this one and I might have another quarter if I hit that "magic lap".

This'll be something the rest of the D2 folks can beat. Think I'll sit back a few days and see how far I fall down the leaderboard.
Time for me to try and better these splits! Nice to meet you @Dragonwhisky - you beat me in the last TT

:))

B

Iff the drivingline is allowed in any form off driving I use it , probaly mostly because iam to lazy or have a bad memory when it comes down to remembering all the different brakepoints , iff it only was 1 track I drove I wouldnt need it , but when you drive different tracks often I`ll use it , but only as a guideline , dont trust it too much :) ......

EDK
I stopped using it long ago, back on Prologue. I initially found it useful online, finding braking points there can be more challenging.

But the dynamic nature of the line makes your braking points inconsistent and therefore hinders consistency in total.

I would suggest throwing it out, while knowing this will leave you with a steeper learning curve on the tracks you don't know as well.

Find fixed objects to reference for braking points, and if you are unsure about lines, use old TT replays or other videos on YouTube to learn the line. The game line is often conservative in this respect as well, sometimes not showing the fast way for the car you are driving.

Wow - massive difference for me without the driving line on - a whole new line through T1 and just feels quicker everywhere - took me a few attempts though. Can see where i am losing a bit of time though - probably another half a second at the line to get as screwed up the final corner a bit - maybe thats a bit ambitious - But you never know where everyone else is at!

Initial Splits - who knows, i may end up submitting this one

OMG! :lol: :lol:

I'll use this opportunity to congratulate you. Great achievement, Kevin! 👍 :cheers:
Thanks. 👍

Hey, I meant to reply to your handicap comment as well. The handicap comes across as a bit odd from time to time, I can definitely relate to being caught out on a few instances where I thought my relative performance would have had me up higher.

But there have also been times that I was pleasantly surprised by a negative handicap when I did not expect it.

The good thing is that those bad handicap weeks will never make your total number get worse. So you can just chalk it up to an off week and move on. And at least you didn't get beat by any D2 guys, that's the worst. :lol: :sly:

EDK
Thanks. 👍

Hey, I meant to reply to your handicap comment as well. The handicap comes across as a bit odd from time to time, I can definitely relate to being caught out on a few instances where I thought my relative performance would have had me up higher.

But there have also been times that I was pleasantly surprised by a negative handicap when I did not expect it.

The good thing is that those bad handicap weeks will never make your total number get worse. So you can just chalk it up to an off week and move on. And at least you didn't get beat by any D2 guys, that's the worst. :lol: :sly:
:) I see. Thank you too. 👍

GTP_EDK , you are the steward off this event , right ?

Iam asking because off stewards comment`s on this event ....

Reactions: EDK
Don't break Fetchy, please. ;)

I've heard from Javier and Bambi that this combo is a bit different offline in TT mode than it was online when we tested. Sorry guys. :(
Aren't they all?

I've run some offline laps and am fine with it. Can't speak for the DS3 guys, of course. And I know that's who you are referring to.

EDK
Early bus today, huh? ;)
No, still in bed, thinking about taking a 3rd sick day just to play GTS. :crazy:

Yeah it's only two of us, but we'll fight you privileged wheel users to the death if we have to :lol:
That's not what I meant, I was agreeing that all the combos are different offline vs on. At least 1sec/lap. But yeah, I got yer joke. :P

Equal Apex Speeds.jpg

Yeah it's only two of us, but we'll fight you privileged wheel users to the death if we have to :lol:
I am guessing you guys are dealing with understeer that was not there online, and that now RH tires would be better for you? Or maybe the car doesn't work at all, in which case you would have been out of luck anyhow. :lol:

But the RM tires are on me. I don't like that the conventional thought process becomes, "If it's at all possible to drive the car on RH tires, then we will use RH tires".

I get that guys like the "realism" of not having super sticky tires, but then we have to keep these things approachable. And a bunch of D1 guys collaborating in a room to come up with a combo that is intended for all the divisions doesn't really work all that well.

So I still try and keep in mind that not everyone is at the same skill level, and sometimes giving a little bit of extra grip is not a bad thing. Some people will like it, some won't. But again, that's sort of the point of what we are doing here.

EDK
I am guessing you guys are dealing with understeer that was not there online, and that now RH tires would be better for you? Or maybe the car doesn't work at all, in which case you would have been out of luck anyhow. :lol:

But the RM tires are on me. I don't like that the conventional thought process becomes, "If it's at all possible to drive the car on RH tires, then we will use RH tires".

I get that guys like the "realism" of not having super sticky tires, but then we have to keep these things approachable. And a bunch of D1 guys collaborating in a room to come up with a combo that is intended for all the divisions doesn't really work all that well.

So I still try and keep in mind that not everyone is at the same skill level, and sometimes giving a little bit of extra grip is not a bad thing. Some people will like it, some won't. But again, that's sort of the point of what we are doing here.

I actually like the RM tires Kev, don't think that's the reason for the understeer. And mainly, we are always going to have some sort of "Short Blanket syndrome": If we cover our feet our heads go cold, if we cover our heads our feet go cold :D Someone's always gonna draw the shortest straw and this week it's us. No problem at all 👍

1:36.721

Not happy yet with this one, but I don't know if my slow brain will allow better times :D I'll let that rusty walnut process the data and try again tomorrow

Back