GTP_WRS Week 5 : Merry Christmas from the WRS

• Thread starter EDK
  • 478 comments
Some more small gains. Still not able to string all sectors together.
Using @EDK tune

Don't know how the heck some of you guys are hitting .5's in first sector. I'm lucky to get a .6 from time to time.

Some more small gains. Still not able to string all sectors together.
Using @EDK tune

Don't know how the heck some of you guys are hitting .5's in first sector. I'm lucky to get a .6 from time to time.

I have seen a .562 as my best first sector, you need to be crossing the line at 66mph and nail the first turn. Most of my splits are normally .6s to be honest

Want to get back to this but won’t be until Friday evening :irked:

thank you WRS, it's obvious that I've learned a lot in 2017.
Yes, and certainly a lot since you started with us in WRS. I remember this one, and now I can see you in my mirror quite often. :scared: ;)

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrs-week-129-official-results.347942/#post-11463077

I really appreciate seeing drivers like you who are here nearly every week, start out in the lower divisions, and improve their skills significantly.

That's the main thing that WRS is about, IMO. Improving your personal skills, no matter your current level.

And I'm among that crowd. Results from my first event.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt4-wrs-week-112-official-results.95702/

Tried @EDK tune. Actually ran slower than my previous tune (only by .1) I can tell I have more to gain, just have to fine that right tune, going to try a variation of mine and EDK's tune and see where I end up, feel like I have about .5 to gain before I am happy.

I agree with the above post, in just 4 weeks I have improved greatly since joining the WRS, I am now running no assists but weak ABS with controller and improving every week. Had my best week last week and this week isn't looking too bad for me at the moment. I am not doing anything else in the game at the moment because these time trials are so much fun.

@EDK I'm using your tune with current splits but my biggest problem with it is that it want to spin out on the right hand steep bank in sector 3. The stock tune didn't do that.

Your tune is faster but what can I adjust to try and keep it from spinning out on that steep banked turn?

Not tried this combo yet but I suggest to try raise the rear ARB for some more grip when the ass is slippy or loose :D:tup:

@EDK I'm using your tune with current splits but my biggest problem with it is that it want to spin out on the right hand steep bank in sector 3. The stock tune didn't do that.

Your tune is faster but what can I adjust to try and keep it from spinning out on that steep banked turn?
Yeah, same for me and that's something I plan to work on. Right now I am lifting ever so slightly, but that will slow you down some.

I would try adjusting these one at a time, in this order. If a change does not have the desired effect, revert to the original setting before changing another.

If change is positive, but you need more, move on to the next one in order.

• Lower front camber. Normally camber is in increments of 0.5, but you can try smaller to dial this in.
  • Higher rear camber
  • Rear toe toward toe in, adjust in increments of 0.05
  • Last resort, lower rear ride height, but that's going to take away turn in for the low speed stuff, as will front camber, but it might be needed to balance the car at high speed.

Not tried this combo yet but I suggest to try raise the rear ARB for some more grip when the ass is slippy or loose :D:tup:
I would normally agree, and I did raise mine a couple clicks from stock. But then any other adjustments I made to them seemed to make the car worse.

With these tires and stock suspension, the car seems to take well to some adjustments, not to others.

I do see a wide range of ARB being run, but I'm not entirely sure what it's doing for people.

Will also say I was in a chat room with @Ph1sh when setting this up, and we were bouncing some things back and forth on tuning. He also was struggling when he raised rear ARB, for whatever reason.

I have some pretty comfortable splits to compare against now, so I can go back to fiddling with my setup to optimize it. Should have a second version out over the weekend. 👍

EDK
Yes, and certainly a lot since you started with us in WRS. I remember this one, and now I can see you in my mirror quite often. :scared: ;)

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrs-week-129-official-results.347942/#post-11463077

I really appreciate seeing drivers like you who are here nearly every week, start out in the lower divisions, and improve their skills significantly.

That's the main thing that WRS is about, IMO. Improving your personal skills, no matter your current level.

And I'm among that crowd. Results from my first event.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt4-wrs-week-112-official-results.95702/

Precisely the reason I Joined the WRS, I’m hoping to learn a lot from the alien drivers. It’s always good to see when they are giving tips to help others out.

Only been here a short while but it seems like it’s a fantastic group of people here :cheers:

Have fun guys it sounds like a cool combo this one 👍 I'm almost tempted to boot the PS4 but I've had the worst man flu ever for about a week now it's disgusting and the thought of my nose running all over my clothes whilst trying to race just doesn't sound good haha :D

Will see if I can last the day without folding and trying this out ;)

:cheers:

Question about tuning, which I do not understand at all in this game, I was using EDK's tune last night, and felt great but wasn't able to match what I was running with my guess a tune tune. I have noticed that everyone is running low LSD numbers, but on my guess a tune I had them at 50/40/50, and I was able to run my fastest times with that set up, and the suspension lowered all the way,

Can someone explain better than the game does what the gain/loss is for the LSD settings?

Question about tuning, which I do not understand at all in this game, I was using EDK's tune last night, and felt great but wasn't able to match what I was running with my guess a tune tune. I have noticed that everyone is running low LSD numbers, but on my guess a tune I had them at 50/40/50, and I was able to run my fastest times with that set up, and the suspension lowered all the way,

Can someone explain better than the game does what the gain/loss is for the LSD settings?

This definition of the three settings is pretty good but keep in mind that some of the references are for GT6, principals remain the same (I think) 👍

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt6-tuning-guide-1-15.319562/

The diff is probably one of the most useful tuning tools. 3 numbers, initial, Accel, and decel.
Initial is what the diff is set to statically, always need a little at least but never higher than the other 2.
Decel, the amount of diff lock up under deceleration events, ie... lifting off the throttle. You can control over and understeer while slowing into the corner.
Accel: this number is for power on, throttle down corner exit. You adjust this to control oversteer on corner exit. Typically you run higher numbers (more lock up) for high HP & torque cars. Controls throttle on oversteer.
Low hp & torque cars do better with a lower setting not for handling so much as the LSD does eats up some energy to work and binds the car up in the corners. Lower number will let you carry more speed through the corner " theoretically"

:cheers:

You basically set the car up incredibly tight.

The first number is the pre-load, which means at 50 you had maximum pre-load and the diff is relatively locked even when you are coasting mid corner.

40 means that when you hit the gas, the diff actually becomes less locked. And the third number means you are fully locked under braking.

With the car slammed to the ground, it would also be tight and would respond in odd ways to bumps, but then with your diff settings, it might have helped to counter that.

The rake I have on the car is to aid turn in and rotation (vs. slamming both ends). The diff at 5 on first and third is the same, lets the car rotate under trail braking and at mid corner release. The 15 I have for the second diff number is intended to transfer a limited amount of torque and allow the diff clutches to do some work for me, it's sort of like having traction control, but is much smoother and more predictable. If I set that number to 5, it would be close to having an open diff, so I would be more likely to spin a wheel. If I set a higher number, the car would transfer more power, more quickly, but I risk a spin and have to use more throttle control.

I'm not sure how you drove the car with the settings you had on it. :lol:

Thanks everyone, great info. 👍

I did notice I was quicker through first 2 sectors and it cornered extremely well with the EDK tune, but couldn't match my best 3rd sector time with it though. I must like out of control cars, that would explain why I liked my goofy set up. It also explains why that Merc last week was my favorite so far. :lol:

Thanks everyone, great info. 👍

I did notice I was quicker through first 2 sectors and it cornered extremely well with the EDK tune, but couldn't match my best 3rd sector time with it though. I must like out of control cars, that would explain why I liked my goofy set up. It also explains why that Merc last week was my favorite so far. :lol:
In the third sector, mine is tricky, as @GTP_randy mentioned this morning, which led to my post on how to adjust to counter that behavior in the long, cambered sweeper. I have been giving a slight lift, but want to find a tune that allows me to take it flat without giving too much up in the lower speed corners. Compromise...

I think you will be faster in all the low speed stuff with something like I have, your setup just made the car incredibly stable at speed (I am guessing).

Can’t wait to watch some replays to see where I’m losing time this week.

Normally I can see it when watching my own replays, but my abilities are lacking.

This week, just can’t really see 3 second gain in the first 3 sectors! Some of you are crazy crazy fast!

New tune, new gearing attitude (Second? What's second?), new splits:

Need to clean up the last sector.

EggTune
BB +1
RH 4.53"/5.79" (115mm/147mm)
NF 1.75 Hz/1.75 Hz
ARB 6/6
Compression 63%/60%
Rebound 90%/90%
Camber -0.7/-2.0
Toe - 0.00/Out 0.20

Back