GTP_WRS Week 5 : Merry Christmas from the WRS

• Thread starter EDK
  • 478 comments
Hi haven’t entered one of these in quite a few years, it took me about 5 minutes to sign in and try and guess my log in details!
Last time I logged in here 2014
Anyway going to give this a try.
Don’t really know the track or the car but I’ll give it a bash!

Back in the day people had to use there GTP_ name only, is this still the case anyone please? Cheers

DSC_0504.JPG

Guys, quick question just to be sure: this is still clean, right?

After another session ("just 10 laps" turned to around 50...) with JamCarOne's LSD settings I was actually able to shave a whopping 2sec off my time at the line... :embarrassed:

This is my final lap for this week, as I'm leaving for New Year's Eve. Submitted and accepted :)

My understanding is yes, you still have 2 tires on the track so it is all good. As long as 2 tires are touching (or would be touching if airborne) the track it is legal.

Yes, that's what I thought too, just checking. IMO this is the only frame where it's somewhat close for me... Everything else should be just fine :)

Whoa... now I'm first... WTF... Let's see how long that's gonna last... ^^

Yes, that's what I thought too, just checking. IMO this is the only frame where it's somewhat close for me... Everything else should be just fine :)

Whoa... now I'm first... WTF... Let's see how long that's gonna last... ^^

Yeah I was top 20 yesterday for a bit, was exciting while it lasted. :lol:

I spent some time on a tune last night, but did not run enough laps to think about posting splits. This should be a good place for someone to start -

EDK Tune
BB +2 (2 toward rear)
RH 4.13/6.38 (Min front, 50% rear)
Springs 1.5/1.5 (Stock)
ARB 7/6
Dampers - All Stock. Any changes I made seemed to make it worse
Camber 1.0/2.0
Toe 0/0.20 Out in rear

LSD 5/15/5

I was mainly trying to aid traction exiting corners and to stabilize the rear of the car.

I recommend if someone wants to fine tune to suit their driving style, starting with the ARB settings. And you can take them to the extremes one at a time to see which change has the desired effect.

The LSD accel number would be another fine tuning area, I recommend moving that in increments of 1 or 2, it will have a more dramatic effect on the car than the ARB settings.

Finally, balancing the camber and toe settings to suit your style. raising front will aid turn in but de-stablize the balance in high speed corners with the car fully loaded. Higher in rear should aid grip on corner exit and stability in high speed corners, but may induce understeer if you over do it.

I don't like changing front toe, but feel free to set some toe out to aid turn in. I like to set camber and then use toe to fine tune the effect.

Hi haven’t entered one of these in quite a few years, it took me about 5 minutes to sign in and try and guess my log in details!
Last time I logged in here 2014
Anyway going to give this a try.
Don’t really know the track or the car but I’ll give it a bash!

Back in the day people had to use there GTP_ name only, is this still the case anyone please? Cheers
Welcome back. 👍

You can use any PSN you would like, but if you want to make any changes to what's in the registry, please start here.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrs-registration-gt-sport-new-members-start-here.313756/

If some of you guys haven’t realised you need to run wide from your rolling start so that you can achieve about 65mph across the start line.

Basically you end up having to do a one lap hot lap and starting over or you will not have the desired speed crossing the line for a flying lap.

Hope this helps some of you guys :cheers:

To expand on this, it seems to be quite trivial to start the lap and exit the "designated area" without hitting a cone, getting a massive speed boost on the run up. A 19.4 T1 seems quite doable doing this. I'm guessing this is against the intention of the cone rule, but impossible to rule against given the current rules? Can't think of a great way for this to be enforced without seeing the replay from before the lap started, but I think it would be good to impose some limit here, if nothing else other than to save the headache of "setting up" each hotlap more than we already have to with the intended runoff area.

Willow springs had that issue with GT6 also.. before the start straight you could go off beyond the cones into a massive car park space and gallop out of it back onto the start straight with a 10-15mph speed advantage! was hoping they had fixed that in this game?

Probably the only way to combat that would be to Save the whole replay session and your lap should be done on lap 1 only
mutley.gif

Btw.. I hope everyone had a nice Christmas :cheers:

To expand on this, it seems to be quite trivial to start the lap and exit the "designated area" without hitting a cone, getting a massive speed boost on the run up. A 19.4 T1 seems quite doable doing this. I'm guessing this is against the intention of the cone rule, but impossible to rule against given the current rules? Can't think of a great way for this to be enforced without seeing the replay from before the lap started, but I think it would be good to impose some limit here, if nothing else other than to save the headache of "setting up" each hotlap more than we already have to with the intended runoff area.

You would be able to see on the replay if the cones are knocked down from previous lap, but yeah could be tough to enforce if it can be done without hitting cones.

Hi,

Probably the only way to combat that would be to Save the whole replay session and your lap should be done on lap 1 only
mutley.gif
what about defining a Vmax for a given point somewhere between startingline and first brakingpoint?

BTW: I don't see an advantage in using a wider line (but inside the cones!) than the line used at the end of a fast lap.

D.

If memory serves, when we used this track in GT6 (and especially when it was part of the qualifier), there was a random speed-check at the start line, with drivers going too fast there deemed to have used the skid pad and thus gone off-track.

View attachment 701939

Guys, quick question just to be sure: this is still clean, right?

Speaking of GT6, that would have been dirty as the track boundary for both Willow Springs tracks was the inside of the white line (or red/white curbing) because of rendering issues on the PS3. Fortunately, it's easier to tell the difference between tarmac and desert ground in GTS (even without HDR), so you can use the whole track. Of course, given there's a significant height difference between tarmac and desert, you might not want to go bajaing.

In any case, new splits (still no tuning):

For the GT6 qualifier, this is what we told people.

• Breaking boundary rules on the final corner of the lap prior to your best lap is strictly forbidden. We will make cursory checks of Start/Finish line speed on all replays, and will disqualify outliers.
It's going to show up in T1 split, to some extent. And then we know the guys who are naturally fast and will have great splits vs. suspicious outliers.

I will add a bullet to the OP to highlight this loophole, and our expectation that it's not to be exploited. While I realize we cannot prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt, there's a fair amount of that to go around right now.

I have updated the race specifics in the OP.

Race Specifics (Rules for This Specific Event):
  • Red and White Rumble Strips and Tarmac are Track Surface. No other surfaces are track.
  • You may not contact the dark orange/red cones that are permanent to the track. Consistent with other weeks, driving assist cones are OK to contact. The issue being that the track cones denote boundaries that we want to keep intact.
  • Breaking boundary rules on the final corner of the lap prior to your best lap is strictly forbidden. We will make cursory checks of Start/Finish line speed on all replays, and will disqualify outliers.

Looks good 👍

The best speed I've been able to get across the start line is ~66mph, staying in 3rd the entire way round the previous bend.

New splits this morning:

T3 and final sector were poor, still a good bit to gain.

new splits after minor tweaking to ride height and natural frequency

That makes .1 at the line.

Code:
Settings I used in this lap (still very beginning):

TC 0
BB 0

RH: 105/120 mm (not sure of imperial values)
NF: 2.20/1.30 (very extremes, but work for me)
ARB: 7/8

all others default (still not have time to play with them)

LSD: default non-changeable

This helped to really stabilize the tailhappy rear for me.

First go using EDKs tune, think I was making the error in keeping it in 2nd gear for some corners when I shouldn’t of.
Hard to tell as never done car or track before

So far I managed to shave off a tenth of my lap time, but my optimal time has grown significantly from my first batch of laps. I'm not sure if I'm getting better or worse :D

Really struggling with the 3rd sector, are people using a wide line for the sweeper?

I have been faster in the first 2 sectors so more time to come off.

Still using stock setup

I am getting very close to my limit...:)

I am not a tuner but I have enjoyed playing around with the settings and this is what works best for me:

Manual Transmission
TC: 0
ABS: Default
Tires: CS

Brake Balance: +4
Ride Height: 4.13" / 4.53"
Nat Freq: 1.75 / 1.75
ARB: 10 /10
Damping Ratios: Stock Settings
Camber: .5 / 1.5
Toe: 0 / 0

LSD: 5 / 20 / 5

Learning so much reading this thread today at work, so many options to try when I get home tonight. I am so glad I joined these time trials, I am learning so much. Thanks everyone :cheers:

Start as wide as possible, and stay in the 3rd. Exit speed is the highest priority.
I’m obviously not getting wide enough on the entry as I always fly off the top of the bend if I stay in 3rd :boggled:
Seeing this post & some of your setups has given me food for thought for when I can get back into the track

The confort soft is the third option, right? (doubt because in portuguese there is not a option that is the translation of confort)

Back