GTP_WRS Week 71 : 5 Speed, Speed 6

• Thread starter EDK
  • 148 comments
First splits for this week:

T1:0,22.913
T2:0,59.081

Not very happy about the last part of the lap...so more to come for sure...

spy.

first splits, but I seem to get this car sideways alot

0'23.042
0'59.527

0'23.091
0'59.475

Last edited:
What I really like about participating these past couple weeks in the WRS is that it has gotten me back into playing GTP more regularly & forces me to try different cars & combos I would never have tried on my own.

0'23.149
1'00.038

slower 1st but faster 2nd & 3rd

Last edited:
T1: 22.962
T2: 59.262

A slight improvement at the line, not sure where I'm losing time in the second sector though.

Last edited:
Hi all, first time I've given the WRS a stab in a while. Just did my first run, and here are my splits:

T1: 22.929
T2: 59.381

I hope I'll have more time to do it this week, I like this combo!

New splits. Still room for improvement in all sectors, so I'll be back. :dopey:

T1: 23.181
T2: 59.688

Opening 5 laps, just enough to gather a clean lap whose ghost I can chase around later.

Question:
I've just done a lap in which my T1 & T2 are slightly slower than my current posted splits, but my final laptime is much better. Should I post my new (worse) splits?
I know I don't have to post anything but should I do this to keep the leaderboard true?

Edit: I'll do it anyway, at least to appease my mind.

T1: 0'23.345
T2: 1'00.029

Edit (2): My above question still stands, is this the normal thing to do in this situation?

Last edited:
Please excuse my ignorance but I was at ranking XXX as of last night and don’t know if I can go any faster w/ the auto transmission. Is my revelation a true one ? ( waiting for my acceptance to the WRS, thankzzzzzz…… Lefty…….. )

Last edited by a moderator:
/\ If you revelation is to try using a manual tranny, then yes, I'd STRONGLY suggest it.

Going to sit down with this tonight hopefully and see what's what. I've had a hankering for Fuji for a while now 👍 I'll see if I can keep up with my other D1 Bronze peeps.

Jerome

Lefty - your run should be done offline so that if you achieve a top 100 time, then there is nothing to suggest anything about your final lap time. If you already knew this then ignore me 👍 But yes, I would definitely suggest using manual transmission.

New splits:

My T1 is still slow and I am yet to break into the 22's. I don't pick the right braking point consistently enough :indiff:

Might not get a lot of time this week, so I need to hammer this baby home asap :) anyway, this are my burning splits with a GREAT T3.

0'22.987
0'59.364

:):):)

Question:
I've just done a lap in which my T1 & T2 are slightly slower than my current posted splits, but my final laptime is much better. Should I post my new (worse) splits?
I know I don't have to post anything but should I do this to keep the leaderboard true?

Edit: I'll do it anyway, at least to appease my mind.

Edit (2): My above question still stands, is this the normal thing to do in this situation?

I have no idea about this 'normal' people keep referencing :dopey:, but I do post whatever I get down or up to with an explanation of what's going on for me.

Also I saw a couple fresh GTP_times on the board when I looked for a replay, take care to be offline (I have screwed this up in the past too).

edit: Just checked the WRS leaderboard and it's tight.

Marginal update tonight. I always struggle with the second sector at Fuji.

EDK
Marginal update tonight. I always struggle with the second sector at Fuji.

Given all the great feedback you've given folks in the past let me try to help you in that sector (I'm sure one of the Div 1 drivers will review this and fix all my mistakes :sly: ). Looking at your splits you are only off by about .3 in sector 2. To me there are 3 crucial components there: Turn 3 (Coca Cola), Turn 4/5 (100R), and Turn 6 (Hairpin).

picture.php

For turn 3 you want to get as far over to the right after T1 as possible - try to get 2 wheels on the rumble strips - I generally brake hard and turn in a tad late with the Tuscan trying to coast to the apex and get back on the throttle early - I turn in late to avoid swinging wide on the exit because if you put a wheel off there its over.

For turn 4/5 it feels slow but just try it - coming out of turn 3 its full throttle and slight turn in until you realize you can't keep turning then I let off the throttle and tap the brakes so slightly and continue turning until I am lined up with the exit of turn 5 - full throttle down to Hairpin - again, it feels slow but I've found less throttle/brakes in this section makes for a smooth stable 100R and generally turns into a decent time.

For turn 6, lining the turn up is crucial - all the way to the right as far as you can go and brake early again coasting into the apex - as much throttle as you can afford at the apex and point the car toward the rumble strips - there is a long run here down to Dunlop so the sooner you get on the throttle the better your T2 will be.

Personally I don't think turns 7/8/9 are all that important overall but maybe a faster driver will correct me - some weeks I think how you navigate those makes a big difference but not so much this week - I'm thinking of weeks where we are in a car that has such incredible straightline speed that you need to take those turns with the minimum amount of wheel turn but this week I think the Tuscan makes it through fairly easily.

My guess is that most of your .3 is lost in Turn 6. Focus on lining that up and getting back on the throttle right at the apex and try not to worry too much about lining up for the rest of T2 until you are well through that turn - my best laps often occur when I run straight out of that apex instead of trying to turn to left and get ready for Turn 7 too early. To help with this, start braking earlier into Turn 6 and see what happens - you might find that you are navigating that turn easier and putting yourself in a position to throttle up much earlier for the run down to T2.

Now spy and CT can correct all this and tell you the right way to do it - then Dan can provide a YouTube link and enlighten all of us. :lol:

Good Luck!

Thanks for the writeup, Lin.

I'm nearly positive I'm losing most of it in 100R. If I was to give a writeup on Coca-Cola or Hairpin, it would have sounded almost exactly like yours.

However, I'm taking a completely different approach in 100R and will try your suggestions in my next session. 👍

I still suspect my 3rd sector is making up a decent amount of time for me, but no reason to give away 0.3 in one corner. ;)

EDK
Thanks for the writeup, Lin.

I'm nearly positive I'm losing most of it in 100R. If I was to give a writeup on Coca-Cola or Hairpin, it would have sounded almost exactly like yours.

However, I'm taking a completely different approach in 100R and will try your suggestions in my next session. 👍

I still suspect my 3rd sector is making up a decent amount of time for me, but no reason to give away 0.3 in one corner. ;)

Man, you're up early. :lol:

Take a look at Ramon's replay in the top 10 - I think his 100R is quite smooth and its all in one gear so the clutch has no part to play in that turn. 👍

Nice write up Lin. Sounds just like how I try to do it. Easier said than done though for me anyway.:lol:

First go at this TVR.

So far I've found the TVR to be a little light in the braking department, thus causing it to understeer. Still manages to turn in under brakes initially, then just stops finding the grip. So best to be an early braker I think. I've seen a few 22.oxx's at T1 and a couple of 59.4xx's at T2. Just, as usual, gotta string 'em together.

F_I_R_E_L_I_N_Es' replay is also quite good, especially how he takes a conservative-looking line in the final turn but still gets exit speed.
I chased my own ghost around to a very slight overall lap time improvement, most of which came from a 23.071 in T1. 65 km/h at the apex and then don't wheelspin on power.
After a few laps chasing the more ambitious replay of F_I_R_E_L_I_N_E I ended up with about a half second peeled off my lap time.

Splits for that lap:

Some clear errors in this lap starting with a blatant miss of turn 1 by three car widths. Can improve with more time (as usual) so I hope I get back to another blast.
For turn 6 I use third gear, as an average exit using 3rd is similar to a good exit using 2nd for me. You can be full throttle at the apex of 6 in 3rd gear if you're ready to straighten the steering when the power comes on.

👍

edit: both my new splits are worse than my previous. Damn I hate that ....

Nice write up lin, no wonder our times are so close, sounds almost like a mirror. 👍

Edit note to self, must stop watching the clock at T1 .959 then mess up turn 3 :grumpy:

Back