GTP_WRS Week 81 : Nice Bacs-Side

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 148 comments
Decided to give manual transmission a try yesterday and, unsurprisingly, it didn't result in a faster time but I was expecting that so not too bothered....what was surprising was that, despite only running 30 laps with it, I wasn't far off my best time.....4 tenths down overall on my best lap so it's not a bad start and my best sector splits were only a tenth down on my best in sectors 1 and 3 and only 3 tenths down in sector 2. Having decided I wasn't going to beat my time, I ran 20 laps using auto and I could only match my manual lap time so looks like using manual wasn't slowing me down.

I found it hard to brake and downshift at the same time resulting in me losing too much speed regularly....not to mention the number of times I ended up downshifting twice instead of once! Anyway, I am encouraged by my pace so I will persevere with it, though I will probably run manual and auto until I'm fully comfortable...it will also allow m to know what time I should be aiming for when using manual

I can't believe I'm saying this and in no way do I have the last turn mastered but 900 miles into this event I'm now finding T1 harder to duplicate than the last sector. :odd:

I've broken into the 27's just twice so far to T1, I think I know "how to do it" again but my timing and muscle memory appear to be failing me. :irked:

Maybe I'll have an "eureka" moment tonight. 💡

I've been having the same,even to such an extent that i've had to walk away from it.My times were getting slower and slower for no apparent reason,as I remember my last runs were over 3 seconds off my best :embarrassed:
Might have a few laps later,but I think I may have hit my limit on this one...

So, after yesterday's experiment with manual resulted in me shifting at exactly the same points as it does with auto(really thought there'd be a difference but clearly not!), thought I'd continue experimenting...this time with using the trigger buttons for accelerate/brake. Firstly, turns out I can't use the left trigger to brake and turn with the stick at the same time as pressing the trigger causes my thumb to move too much rsulting in over-steering the car...so, shifted the brake to the right stick down, keeping the right trigger as accelerate. AT the end of 80 laps or so, Overall, I managed to get within 7 hundreths of my personal best lap and consistently managed a .9 sector 1 (presumably because there was no gap in the transition from accelerate to brake like there is using one thumb for two buttons)...sector 3 I wasn't far off though the final corner was much tougher. Sector 2 I just couldn't get right...figured I'd have better control with using the trigger than just repeatedly pressing x but apparently not!

After 2 days of experimenting, I don't know what to do.....I can't do manual shift and use the triggers as that would be to much to deal with (at least for now anyway) so should I continue with manual shifting or continue with triggers? I'm leaning to staying with auto and using the trigger as my time's are better but the manual gears doesn't make much difference on this track that I can see. It's difficult to decide as there's no way if I would become comfortable with either. Oh well, I'll keep experimenting and see what happens

@nursemorph try shifting at the 2nd mark past 7. In the long run, it'll be better to get used to manual as some cars benefit from shifting way below red line or way above. It really helps with car control, extra speed and your times will drop dramatically. Ultimately it comes down to you.

Final attempt, slower splits, but better t3.

Leaving about .15 on track, had a best t2 split of .321 but of course I seized up in t3 and went into the pickers in the first left.

Submitted and accepted, good luck all.

Submitted and accepted.. Ran quite a bit today, but nothing was coming together. Good luck @Cats_PJs and everyone else.. Something tells me msgt-sd or Ron might surprise us ;)
I'll be suprised if they don't suprise us, or at least me. I've never had a handle on the final corner of this track. I think I improved this time but I'm not sure I've reached their level. Either way, it's been a fun week.

Let the waiting begin...

I'll be suprised if they don't suprise us, or at least me. I've never had a handle on the final corner of this track. I think I improved this time but I'm not sure I've reached their level. Either way, it's been a fun week.

Let the waiting begin...

Well, I practiced the final sector only. There's some big gains from what I was doing.

@nursemorph try shifting at the 2nd mark past 7. In the long run, it'll be better to get used to manual as some cars benefit from shifting way below red line or way above. It really helps with car control, extra speed and your times will drop dramatically. Ultimately it comes down to you.

Thank you for the advice again....in that case, I will continue to persevere with manual shifting. One thing I will say is that, after all my experimenting, there are no words for saying how impressed I am with people like yourself who can manage to use a controller to accelerate/brake, shift and turn....I struggle with 2 out of those 3!

If I could manage to stop the over-steering when I brake using the trigger, then I could use triggers and manual....I think I need to have an experiment with button uses...am wondering if the following set-up would work: R2 - accelerate; L1 - brake; left stick - steer; right stick - shifting. It really just depends whether I can press the shoulder button without the extra stick movement....the more natural position of L1 may make it easier (I only use my index fingers on all the back buttons as I can't use my middle fingers on the triggers as I just can't push them properly for some reason).

Anyway, I think I'm finished on this combo for the week, though I may come back to continue getting comfortable with buttons as I do like the combo

@nursemorph you're welcome.. Just experiment with some setups to find what's comfortable to you, then practice it. Once you get it figured out, you'll be glad you took the time and effort. If you feel like it may be a little to much for you, then you can always go back to auto. I get caught up in it and sometimes forget these are for fun.

When I started in D3 a couple years ago, I would pick someone a division higher and make a goal to beat them. Now I'm up to McSqueegy and its probably the hardest challenge yet, but its still fun to make a run at him every now and again, even though he's a way better driver than me.

Just want to be sure, when the track limits are defined as Tarmac and rumble strips, how strict are the white lines enforced? I may have all 5 over the white line but there was a rumble strip there as well.

Just want to be sure, when the track limits are defined as Tarmac and rumble strips, how strict are the white lines enforced? I may have all 5 over the white line but there was a rumble strip there as well.

The white lines are almost never the boundary, unless specifically stated in the Race Specifics. It's usually tarmac and rumble strips are the boundaries, as is the case here, and you can ignore the lines.
Keep up, will ya? ;)

Just be careful in T3 tunnel, the cobblestone to the right of the white line is illegal. It's also hard to see it unless you have your brightness turned up

Either everyone's gotten faster or I can't get a handle on this TT. Great work guys. I'm currently going full banzai in order to get a competitive time in. :lol:

Submitting these:

1'00.138

Far off of the pace. On to this week's I suppose. :indiff:

Submitted and accepted.. Ran quite a bit today, but nothing was coming together. Good luck @Cats_PJs and everyone else.. Something tells me msgt-sd or Ron might surprise us ;)

No surprise here mate.. I aint ran since Wednesday due to covering shifts for a staff member who's dad passed away and was also one of our customers :( Big funeral tomorrow all day at the club.

I submitted before going to work tonight and my splits on the board are for my final time 👍
Great combo and good luck to all and Congrats to whoever nailed the final turn the best... certainly wasn't me as i lost a good 2 mph on the final straight :banghead:

Good luck chaps :cheers:

Back