GTP_WRS Week 9 : Arigatou Mr Stephenson

• Thread starter Argon
  • 362 comments

Frustrating to be 0.8 behind my optimum! I might get one more shot at this tonight before it closes.

This lap was very clean...middle of the track instead of at least some wheels on the rumble strip...under utilised but fastest lap is fastest lap. I still seem to be able to go round the S curves quicker with a bit of slide going in...it will be very interesting to see the top replays this week!

Edit - Forgive my apparant lack of motor racing knowledge, who is Mr Stephenson??

Last edited:

Frustrating to be 0.8 behind my optimum! I might get one more shot at this tonight before it closes.

This lap was very clean...middle of the track instead of at least some wheels on the rumble strip...under utilised but fastest lap is fastest lap. I still seem to be able to go round the S curves quicker with a bit of slide going in...it will be very interesting to see the top replays this week!

Edit - Forgive my apparant lack of motor racing knowledge, who is Mr Stephenson??

Frank Stephenson the designer of the McLaren 650s and so many other iconic cars :)

Awesome, i went down the googling assumption it was about the track...a few nice cars on his list!

MP4-12C was my fav car until the later models came out...P1 is nicer of course.

Oh Suzuka... you frustrated me today.

I love this combo, so addictive!

I could not string anything together today though. I would improve on one sector and fall off on the rest. I improved my lap time, yet my sectors fell off?!?:banghead: I submitted my best time. I was so disappointed by my sectors, I forgot to write them down.

Oh well, ready for the trip to Brazil! Not my best track. Bags are packed though. Will see everyone there :D

Busy week, bit of over time at work. Didn't get a decent enough chunk of time to take on this week. :grumpy:

This next week should calm down though. 👍

I also highly recommend the humble pie, I'm eating a slice right now!
Nah, I decided to go for the git gud instead of filling up on delicious pie.

I have returned once again for another far-too-long-post on the week's time trial! Gather round and grab a drink or a snack, and let me tell you one of the many tales, of Week 0-0-9.

After initially taking a lot of time to not get very far, I tested @shoenboggie 's tune after I saw that amazing first sector time he ran and I saw similar results to when I was testing rear wing angles earlier; the instability and oversteer didn't actually lose you time in the first sector where you'd think you need the aero grip, but the lack of downforce made getting out of Degner II, the hairpin and Spoon difficult, so despite less drag and more straight speed the Sector 3 times were actually slower. Counter intuitive, but more turn (and thus less stability) made sector 1 faster, while making sector 3 slower, once again we would be stuck chasing tuning circles in the dust. Just like week 005 I'd felt the limiting factor on @Iceman 's tune was understeer, so it seemed to make more sense to work back towards stability from the shoenboggie tune than trying to induce it in Iceman's tune, so apparently while @Doodle was working towards less control in search of raw speed, I was taking the opposite direction without even knowing it. Initially I'd not really seen much improvement, and after the "doodle-bomb" dropped I thought I might have gone the wrong way with it all, but the car felt the best to me in the direction I was taking so it was just a question of seeing how far it would go.
I got some running in on Friday and noticed a couple of things that I wanted to improve, so I stocked up on git gud, and then got on with pounding around, and around and around. With each new run I worked out what needed doing different, having to re-learn what made the car happy and what didn't I started to find limitations on my tune so I kept on tweaking, I ended up reducing the springs, changing the rear damping, lowering the rear RH a lot, then slowly upped it again, played with my own custom diff settings which I realised pretty late weren't doing what I wanted, and even Iceman's gearbox got some tweaks as I went in search of better launch out of the hairpin (and as a result the final chicane). Shifting at 8000 rpm also played in, making the 6-gear transmition end up using all 7 down to turn 1, each little change to the car all adding up time in their own areas.
As everyone has said, the hardest part about this place is getting one lap together that doesn't have any major errors in it, so after finally stopping the tuning I began testing my will power for what became frankly too long, setting purple times in every single sector across the day and amassing 2400km of running all up for the week, finally I got a lap together that I am happy enough with. While I'm still convinced I can do a better all around lap closer to those optimal splits, each sector was pretty clean and I can't complain too hard about any major mistakes, after fluffing countless laps in turn 1, not nailing the esses, dropping a wheel and spearing off at Degner, not getting the power down out of the hairpin cleanly, oversteering or understeering at Spoon, running wide on at 130R, braking to late for the chicane or just trying to get back to the throttle too early, the monkey behind the wheel managed to get it right for one entire lap:

I'm absolutely stoked to have got in the same postcode at the front, I know that my last split wasn't my best and will cost me in the final standings but I'm very happy to have managed to get this close after the original board-destroying time Doodle put down, guess all the hundredths and thousandths of a second took shelter in my lap from that first Doodle-bomb fearing another :lol:.
I've given just about everything I have, maybe the tiniest improvement could be made but I am out of stamina, motivation and time. It will not be enough to be fastest but the lap is so much better than I thought I could go, and so much closer than I thought I could get, and I'll take that with both hands.
So no thanks, I'll pass on the humble pie, because it would not have been nearly as challenging, as frustrating or as so incredibly rewarding any other way.

And so another week has concluded, the good has been got, and the lap time submitted. Good luck to all and I'll see you around, where the next installment, of WRS can be found.
StigsTC - Racer, Lag-activist, Author of really really REALLY long posts.

Last edited:
Just a quick one, I see on the boards it doesn't say what controller I'm using, should I have posted that somewhere? Using a wheel

Your welcome Mike.

I personally didn't make any changes apart from a little adjustment to the camber and toe (needed little more rear little less front) gear box standard race box, which all I did was drop it to 168mph from 174mph which put the gear changes in a more appropriate place.

Unusual for me to run anything but stock (default) as I find most are more than driveable. Why did I, was finding this car being Gr4 was not so on the ball as the Cayman Gr4, which I did @suzuka the week before in default mode. So is there a difference in the cars in the same groups, I would say yes at some tracks considering their both MR a second to second and a half is a big margin.

Considering I squandered 0.3 somewhere in S3 and S4... this is my best lap.

Kinda held back 3 times better than my last update, but I was set a benchmark to hit and I hit it.

Nah, I decided to go for the git gud instead of filling up on delicious pie.

I have returned once again for another far-too-long-post on the week's time trial! Gather round and grab a drink or a snack, and let me tell you one of the many tales, of Week 0-0-9.

After initially taking a lot of time to not get very far, I tested @shoenboggie 's tune after I saw that amazing first sector time he ran and I saw similar results to when I was testing rear wing angles earlier; the instability and oversteer didn't actually lose you time in the first sector where you'd think you need the aero grip, but the lack of downforce made getting out of Degner II, the hairpin and Spoon difficult, so despite less drag and more straight speed the Sector 3 times were actually slower. Counter intuitive, but more turn (and thus less stability) made sector 1 faster, while making sector 3 slower, once again we would be stuck chasing tuning circles in the dust. Just like week 005 I'd felt the limiting factor on @Iceman 's tune was understeer, so it seemed to make more sense to work back towards stability from the shoenboggie tune than trying to induce it in Iceman's tune, so apparently while @Doodle was working towards less control in search of raw speed, I was taking the opposite direction without even knowing it. Initially I'd not really seen much improvement, and after the "doodle-bomb" dropped I thought I might have gone the wrong way with it all, but the car felt the best to me in the direction I was taking so it was just a question of seeing how far it would go.
I got some running in on Friday and noticed a couple of things that I wanted to improve, so I stocked up on git gud, and then got on with pounding around, and around and around. With each new run I worked out what needed doing different, having to re-learn what made the car happy and what didn't I started to find limitations on my tune so I kept on tweaking, I ended up reducing the springs, changing the rear damping, lowering the rear RH a lot, then slowly upped it again, played with my own custom diff settings which I realised pretty late weren't doing what I wanted, and even Iceman's gearbox got some tweaks as I went in search of better launch out of the hairpin (and as a result the final chicane). Shifting at 8000 rpm also played in, making the 6-gear transmition end up using all 7 down to turn 1, each little change to the car all adding up time in their own areas.
As everyone has said, the hardest part about this place is getting one lap together that doesn't have any major errors in it, so after finally stopping the tuning I began testing my will power for what became frankly too long, setting purple times in every single sector across the day and amassing 2400km of running all up for the week, finally I got a lap together that I am happy enough with. While I'm still convinced I can do a better all around lap closer to those optimal splits, each sector was pretty clean and I can't complain too hard about any major mistakes, after fluffing countless laps in turn 1, not nailing the esses, dropping a wheel and spearing off at Degner, not getting the power down out of the hairpin cleanly, oversteering or understeering at Spoon, running wide on at 130R, braking to late for the chicane or just trying to get back to the throttle too early, the monkey behind the wheel managed to get it right for one entire lap:

I'm absolutely stoked to have got in the same postcode at the front, I know that my last split wasn't my best and will cost me in the final standings but I'm very happy to have managed to get this close after the original board-destroying time Doodle put down, guess all the hundredths and thousandths of a second took shelter in my lap from that first Doodle-bomb fearing another :lol:.
I've given just about everything I have, maybe the tiniest improvement could be made but I am out of stamina, motivation and time. It will not be enough to be fastest but the lap is so much better than I thought I could go, and so much closer than I thought I could get, and I'll take that with both hands.
So no thanks, I'll pass on the humble pie, because it would not have been nearly as challenging, as frustrating or as so incredibly rewarding any other way.

And so another week has concluded, the good has been got, and the lap time submitted. Good luck to all and I'll see you around, where the next installment, of WRS can be found.
StigsTC - Racer, Lag-activist, Author of really really REALLY long posts.

Nice splits!

I feel the pain you had all week. I haven't been able to get a nice lap on this one. I can get S1 down below 35, even hit a 34.8... every dang time I do, I screw up at Degnar 2 or the hairpin.

Reading your post makes me want to give this another try when I get home. I said I was done, but... think I will have one more go at it.

Back