GTP_WRS Week 9 : Arigatou Mr Stephenson

• Thread starter Argon
  • 362 comments
Took this car out for the daily at this track ... I can see why people don't use it at the moment.

Not sure how many more sessions I'll get with this combination, as I just got a G29 (my first wheel) and am frantically trying to teach myself how to use it...

Took this car out for the daily at this track ... I can see why people don't use it at the moment.

Not sure how many more sessions I'll get with this combination, as I just got a G29 (my first wheel) and am frantically trying to teach myself how to use it...
First wheel congrats, advice take your time it's not the same as a car, get use to the response and ffb, or you'll just keep losing the backend as you exit corners.

Wrs is a very good place to start with getting to grips with a new wheel.

I’ve done hundreds of not thousands of miles around this track but I can’t get anywhere even near a reasonable time with this combo. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but after 2 hours, I don’t even have a banker lap. Think I might be sitting this one out for some more general practise :nervous:
I pretty much have had to re-learn the entire track, throwing away years of running here. Can't do any of the stuff I'm used to in S1, the Degners no longer lovingly hug you to the apex, however Spoon seems to actually work now so some plus points. The only thing that is the same is that the exit curbing is indeed death.

Had an improve of 2 hundredths today, hoped they'd bring more friends but I'll take any I can get. Annoyingly it is super duper ultra marginal on cutting the chicane, I THINK its still on the road thanks to some for-once-useful understeer, but then the replay cuts off short anyway making the whole process pointless! Never mind that I only punched out at Degner on the next lap, guess I'll have to hope for cooler weather come Monday to try and go beat THAT lap and make it clean to get a replay that actually lets you confirm the time...
If the guys doing insane S1 times could calm down a bit while I'm not running over the weekend that'd be great!

I pretty much have had to re-learn the entire track, throwing away years of running here. Can't do any of the stuff I'm used to in S1, the Degners no longer lovingly hug you to the apex, however Spoon seems to actually work now so some plus points. The only thing that is the same is that the exit curbing is indeed death.

Had an improve of 2 hundredths today, hoped they'd bring more friends but I'll take any I can get. Annoyingly it is super duper ultra marginal on cutting the chicane, I THINK its still on the road thanks to some for-once-useful understeer, but then the replay cuts off short anyway making the whole process pointless! Never mind that I only punched out at Degner on the next lap, guess I'll have to hope for cooler weather come Monday to try and go beat THAT lap and make it clean to get a replay that actually lets you confirm the time...
If the guys doing insane S1 times could calm down a bit while I'm not running over the weekend that'd be great!

I have been struggling to get my S1 down. I know I am hitting all my marks and at nice speeds. Seems what is killing me is the chicane. It is so important to get through the chicane perfect to carry you down the straight.

I used to struggle in spoon as well. I feel really good there now. Degnar is tough though. I just can't seem to be consistent through there.

My optimal yesterday was half a sec faster than I have ever done. I don't know if I will get there. If I do, that will be my last attempt :D

Fantastic, if my gray matter is working and my arthritis angina and now epilepsy medication has not messed up my brain (I'm loving the opiate and morphine) completely it was Jack apologies if not.

If you want any help from a 65 year old disabled driver you know I'm always willing. Although there is somebody on here that has brought my S rated sportsmanship into question, embarrassed about being shown the way by a 65 yo disabled driver.

Lovely to hear from you been a long time.

Back on track so I don't get told off for off topic, after yesterday the wind has been sucked from my sails so my time so far will be my last, although I know there is still time out there I can grab.

Jack I have a Cayman default replay you can view, if that's not braking the rules it's also Gr4 but a bit quicker than this 650S at Suzuka.

Phillip.
We discreetly asked you if you had the right settings on the car, only in an effort to assure we all knew the answer before deadline time.

That's part of our role here as stewards. We are also participants, but the motivation for the question is more related to your recent event rankings as compared to where these splits put you.

Your divisional rankings in your first 2 events on GT Sport were 4.377 and 3.589.

Your current splits almost certainly have you on track for a division 1 ranking this week. That's the sort of thing that gets our attention.

The alternative is for us to just wait for the results, only to find a driver made a settings mistake and we have to DQ them.

I think being proactive is fair, but let me know if you think otherwise.

Looks better Andy but i know you can go quicker, more commitment at dagna, and keep your average speed up in spoon on the exit. 70 to 75 and the 10th will fall off. 👍

So I stopped wallowing in self pity and had another go - came up with some acceptable splits! Thanks Phillip for the help and encouragement, will be sure to have at least one more go before the deadline!

I know I am not the fastest, by any means. Something I thought could help though, as I see others in the dailies doing turn 1 and 2 different than I do. Which I usually make up a ton of time to them here. Hope I can share tips and not be breaking rules :D.

If you are not already doing so...

Try treating Turn 1 and 2 as one big turn with a double apex. If you hit it right, you can drag the brake through 1. It may seem slower between the 2 apexes, you can have a ton of speed off of 2 though. I found this by accident, when I messed up, on a daily. I couldn't believe how much faster I was compared to the way I was doing it before.

Anyway, hope this helps and I didn't break any rules.... I am new after all :D

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys, that's part of why I love this community :cheers:

I use trail braking heavily into turns 1 and 2, treating it as a single corner as you say, I must say I do love that turn along with T1 at Fuji. Conversely I have always found spoon to be a mystery, for me it's probably the hardest corner to get right in the GT series. I'm never quite sure of the best line and have always been a bit point and hope around it with varying results for what feels like (but clearly isnt) identical entries.

The corners causing me the most trouble now are the Degners and the hairpin which I never really struggled with in the past. It's either the car, the setup or, most likely, my lack of recent practise! On the plus side, I have sorted out a bit of consistency in the esses which just feel fantastic when you get them right :D

@BigDawg_1281 you're good, we can discuss techniques and if you feel the need by all means post a video of your first sector but just make sure lap times are not on display :cheers:

Good deal! I was hoping it was safe.

@DGiant2000 the key for me with spoon is getting back on the throttle as soon as I can for the long straight. That first turn is tricky finding the right speed.

Degnar is tricky for me. I can't seem to get the right angle on the 2nd turn consistently. I was getting dialed in yesterday, but just got tired after so many laps.

Aaaarrrrhhhh!!! This track is driving me insane! :banghead:

I am with you, I am struggling so much with this track. I also still haven't had more than a 10 lap stint which isn't helping.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys, that's part of why I love this community :cheers:

This also why I love this community, I have really improved so much since competing in the WRS.

I did change to Roof cam after reading a thread on the main page, I am not saying that it made me faster or anything changed how the car handles, but I was better able to hit my corners over bumper cam. I do believe you get a better view of the track from roof cam so you can see entry points better. Probably won't make a difference to the fast guys, but this may help some of the slower guys. Took a couple laps to get use to but my laps were a little more consistent and faster this morning.

I am with you, I am struggling so much with this track. I also still haven't had more than a 10 lap stint which isn't helping.

This also why I love this community, I have really improved so much since competing in the WRS.

I did change to Roof cam after reading a thread on the main page, I am not saying that it made me faster or anything changed how the car handles, but I was better able to hit my corners over bumper cam. I do believe you get a better view of the track from roof cam so you can see entry points better. Probably won't make a difference to the fast guys, but this may help some of the slower guys. Took a couple laps to get use to but my laps were a little more consistent and faster this morning.

I did the same for a time, then I learned using bumper cam to find the edges of the track using the gauges on the hud.

So I have improved overall to S3 by 2 tenths but S1 fell by .2 in the lap so until I'm at my 34.787 again with the tenth I gained in S2, you aren't going to see a time update just yet.

If I can improve by as much as I want to over the whole lap, you'll see an update, then I'm calling it there...

Dan @Fastas I thought I recognized Phils name @dranddad but wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing that up. So many names from back in the day are gone and I probably can't name one. The days when we had to log in at 15 30 45 :lol: Even when it was very primitive the races were much much better than the current daily. Yes the good old days.

Good to see some familiar names back

Shaved off some tenths this afternoon, but it took a lot more effort than I thought, at least I've got the gears set up the way I want them. However, I can't seem to find the perfect braking points for Degner or the Casio Triangle. I feel like if I can do that, I can shave a few more tenths off this time. But that seems unlikely.

New splits:

DTM
Dan @Fastas I thought I recognized Phils name @dranddad but wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing that up. So many names from back in the day are gone and I probably can't name one. The days when we had to log in at 15 30 45 :lol: Even when it was very primitive the races were much much better than the current daily. Yes the good old days.

Good to see some familiar names back

Dennis, it’s a real pleasure to race with both the old familiars and the new!
(Tongue in cheak) I never forget a player or, being Unfriended by them (cough, thanks Phil :irked: ) But that was fair, I wasn’t active.
What is apparent is that years of WRS make a better gamer. The frustrations of the slower guys now will be distant memories soon enough and it’s good to know, seeing Phil’s times this week that if I’m lucky enough to get to that marvellous age, I get the opportunity to raise eyebrows too :lol:
Vive la WRS!
I’m meditating until tomorrow where I’m mentally visioning banging in a top 10 time and sinking beer and not upsetting the upstanding stewards in the process :P :cheers:

Back