• Model: WRX Sti '07

IMG_3451.jpg

Vehicle Specifics:

• Power: 303 BHP (Default)
  • Weight: 1470 kg (Default)
  • Driving Aids: Optional
  • Transmission: Optional
  • Tyre Type: N1 / N1
  • In-Race RA Functions: Optional (if available)

Race Specifics:

• Your run must be done while being off line
  • Tarmac and Red and White Rumble Strips are track. The concrete found on the right hand entry to the last turn is NOT part of the track.
  • The use of the clutch is prohibited

IMG_3464.jpg

Steward Comments:
The unfortunate and untimely death of World Champion Rally driver Colin McRae was 3 years ago on September 16th. If we had dirt on Prologue, we would be running this on it. I know he never raced in this particular model of Subaru, but let's just pretend he did, for the sake of this weeks race. ;) Have fun honoring his memory in the most fitting way I can imagine. 👍

Standard Clean OLR Rules:

• 2 wheels on (or vertically in line with) the track at all times
  • Rumble/ripple strips are part of the track
  • No contact with walls or objects, visible or invisible
  • If you're not 100% sure that your lap is clean, then consider it dirty
  • No hybrids
  • No cheating of any kind,these are relaxed races and we are experienced racers, we know what times can be done,and we can read your mind.We will know.
  • Nothing that goes against the spirit of the rules
  • Save your replay

Thread rules:

The following information cannot be discussed in this thread (they can, however, be discussed on MSN or via other private conversation methods):

• Lap time
  • Any information which can be used to infer laptime

The following information can be discussed in this thread :

• T1 and T2 times
  • Any settings discussion

Minimal number of splits: 2
Maximum number of splits: 2

Viewing your T1 & T2 Lap Time Splits:

You need to make sure you save the 'Save Best Lap Replay' (ghost replay), not the 'Save Replay'.
To view your best lap replay, go to 'My Page' and watch the replay from there using the 'Replay' option.

pb060041mt3.jpg

Save best lap / ghost replay icon

IMG_3459.jpg

Submission:

All submissions must be sent by PM (Subject title: GTP_WRS Week 98 Submission ) to (Vaxen):

• Please submit your time in the following format on a single line:
    [Division#]---M'SS.XXX---GTP_Tag
    (Example-) [division 2]---1'44.678---GTP_EDK
  • You can submit only once
  • Please include in your submission PM your division, GTP_Tag and final lap time
  • The deadline is Monday September 20th 11:59pm GMT
  • If you are unsure of the deadline try this site

Why Use GMT?:

GMT is World Time and the basis of every world time zone which sets the time of day and is at the centre of the time zone map. GMT sets current time or official time around the globe. Most time changes are measured by GMT. Although GMT has been replaced by atomic time (UTC) it is still widely regarded as the correct time for every international time zone.

Time verification:

Save your replay and keep it at least a full two weeks after the event's deadline:

• Racers ,named by the OLR Admin staff, (if any) will be required to submit a replay for verification
  • Any submitted time is subject to a time verification request
  • When a time verification has been requested, the concerned racer must provide the correct replay within seven days of the request
  • Failure to do so will result in the removal of the unverified submission from the results table
  • Video replays are not accepted as a form of verification

IMG_3467.jpg

Good luck, :gtplanet:
OLR Admin Team

Last edited:
This looks like a great combo, especially on N1 rubber.

I will be giving this a go after my sons football match this morning.

Handles like a donkey on ice with no legs.

T1: 22.574
T2: 42.909

More understeer than a car with no steering wheel...

T1: 22.651
T2: 42.843

This is the one thing I can't stand about prologue on N1s and N2s. It feels like driving a big-rig with snow-chains on, zero grip, no sense of speed, understeer at 30mph. If cars were really this terrible to drive no-one would be allowed on the roads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please use the edit button rather than making consecutive posts. The Fetchbot will make the edit to your splits if you use a strikethrough on the old ones.

I understand you might not like the combo. I thought it was a bit like driving on ice myself, when testing. But don't you think that's appropriate for this week's theme? ;)

EDK
Please use the edit button rather than making consecutive posts. The Fetchbot will make the edit to your splits if you use a strikethrough on the old ones.

I understand you might not like the combo. I thought it was a bit like driving on ice myself, when testing. But don't you think that's appropriate for this week's theme? ;)

I'll edit in future but I wasn't sure that updated splits would register.

As for the combo I'll just have to imagine that I've got 4 really fat people in the car with me and that my tires have been replaced with wheels of cheese; possibly something like Leerdammer or Jarlsberg, I haven't quite decided yet.

Wow this is TOTALLY different to Week 97. Coming from the F2007 to this on N1s :yuck:
It'll take some time just getting to grips (or lack of it) with this car.
First splits
T1: 22.842
T2: 42.761

Cheers Kev for an interesting combo and also linking the WRS to current and memorable motorsports events and dates. The fact that it's still appealing this close to week 100 and GT5 release is a credit to all the race admin team and the regular competitors 👍 :gtpflag:

All the best
Maz

Absolutely love N tyres in this game, like the Lotus/Fuji online event (although the current F40 is pretty awkward to handle).

0'22.596
0'42.421

0'22.411
0'42.159

Last edited:
Have never used n tyres before and after doing 5 laps on this weeks offerings I can see why.
What a totally unrealistic physics setting, understeering, unable to use more than 3/4 throttle with any sort of lock and horrendous sound effects! Even the cheapest remoulds would be better than these. Hopefully gt5 will be a bit more realistic.
Rant over, I think I will give this one a miss.

Last edited:
My god this is difficult. Gonna take a lot more practice before I can post some splits that are not just plain embarrassing.

T1: 22.614
T2: 42.469

Messy end though.

Other than the first corner, I can honestly say I haven't got a clue how to take any of the corners; and even when it comes to turn one, I'm just "managing" it rather than really taking any time from it.

Last edited:
Managing this combo is about doing everything much sooner and much more smoothly than you normally do, especially in an AWD car. The line is the same as with any other car/tire combination, you just need to anticipate and remain smooth to keep the car in check.

These are my test splits.

Going to try and improve them now.

Am I going blind, or is there no 'your run must be done off line'-rule this week? I've read through the first post a couple of times now, but can't seem to find it. Can we do this on line this week, or did EDK just forget to put the message in there?

Just had my 1st run at this hope I do Colin justice, did better T1's but nice place to start, hope I can stick with this one this week, had to cut the last two short. :grumpy:

T1: 0'22.449
T2: 0'42.305

Phillip.

Am I going blind, or is there no 'your run must be done off line'-rule this week? I've read through the first post a couple of times now, but can't seem to find it. Can we do this on line this week, or did EDK just forget to put the message in there?

I'm not sure that it matters, as I doubt anyone is going to manage a 57.195 (Current 100th place in the online rankings) with N1 tires. But I'll go ahead and add it, for good measure. Thanks for the heads up. 👍

Got those new splits after a brief session -

Please note the addition of the following Race Specifics to the first post -

Race Specifics:

• Your run must be done while being off line
  • Tarmac and Red and White Rumble Strips are track. The concrete found on the right hand entry to the last turn is NOT part of the track.
  • The use of the clutch is prohibited

Interesting challenge, although I can't help but wonder if the saloon '05 Impreza would have been a more appropriate choice. Also the wrs page says 'Time Trail' instead of 'Trial'.

After a few sighting laps the splits started to come down, but not worth posting.

Interesting challenge, although I can't help but wonder if the saloon '05 Impreza would have been a more appropriate choice. Also the wrs page says 'Time Trail' instead of 'Trial'.

After a few sighting laps the splits started to come down, but not worth posting.

You managed to notice the typo, but not the steward's comments? :P

EDK in First Post
The unfortunate and untimely death of World Champion Rally driver Colin McRae was 3 years ago on September 16th. If we had dirt on Prologue, we would be running this on it. I know he never raced in this particular model of Subaru, but let's just pretend he did, for the sake of this weeks race. ;) Have fun honoring his memory in the most fitting way I can imagine. 👍

Nice. A combo I can have some fun with. I mean, that F2007 last week was just downright silly. Times later.

Nice combo Kev 👍

N1's won't change the the car's behavior as far as over/under steer is concerned, sure you have to brake earlier with slower apex speeds and gentle squeez of the gas but the car is the same car. If anything, using sticky tires can mask poor driving skills.

2 ways to aproach this combo, get drifty with it and have fun(it is a rally tribute after all) or more sensably; Start with a softer tire, say s2/s2, take it easy and look for the best lines with little tire squeel. Then gradually harden the tire selection untill you are used to the n1's 👍

EDK
You managed to notice the typo, but not the steward's comments? :P

Yes. My point is that if we wanted a tribute, picking the other Impreza available would have made more sense IMO, - McRae drove a similar example at the X-Games, for example. So instead of pretending he drove the hatch, we could actually run a car which he did drive (as far as I can determine at the moment). I'm sure there are other good reasons why the hatch was chosen, and I have no complaints regarding the use of it (I quite like driving that car as it happens).

I'm sure there are other good reasons why the hatch was chosen, and I have no complaints regarding the use of it (I quite like driving that car as it happens).

Yes that's exactly it. I'm sure you can imagine how difficult it has been for Kevin and Sjaak to keep the WRS interesting with such a tiny number of tracks and cars compared to a full GT game, yet they have kept it interesting for nearly 2 years now. The key to that is mixing up the combos as much as possible, sometimes easy, sometimes difficult, but if possible always different. The other WRX was used reasonably recently so I am sure Kevin has taken that into account when choosing this specific week's WRS.

If it was up to me I would have FR/MR cars at Suzuka every week, but as it is, when I see a combo I don't like I refrain from posting negative comments (not directed at you btw 👍), I just don't run that week and hope for something more to my tastes the following week 👍

All the best
Maz

I agree fully with your points about keeping things interesting, and the limitations that need to be accounted for. I don't wish to appear negative about the choice (far from it); I offer my apologies to anyone if it came across that way. Let's get back to the racing.

Thought I would give this week the benefit of (my) doubt and try again.

After putting the ffb up to 6, and once drifting pretty much the last corner, which didn't help with the time (but was oh so fun!) have managed to take some time off my total and improved my technique. Have realised that braking in a straight line has its advantages.

Would never have thought to go out on the n1 but I reckon this week, will certainly help in the long run, even though I will probably come last!

Back