GTPlanet H2H Drift Tournament #1 Congrats to SAi-66, final vid's added

• Thread starter Hayden
  • 550 comments

Which version of Suzuka should the tournament be held on (due to popular demand)

• Suzuka Circuit - Complete

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Suzuka Circuit - East

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's not that, it's just so long with straights etc in it i can imagine this going on ages .. plus normal competitions are judged by clipping points, ie: references for the judges to go by.. a full lap on suzuka's normal circuit is just nonsense for a drifting competition at least.

I am glad to actually pay attention to the Sport of Drifting to truly understand 👍 :)

Last edited:
Suzuka full would be dumb for a drift circuit. The only decent drift section is the first corner, the rest of the track would just be dull and un-linkable, therefore pointless.

I use Suzuka all the time. The hairpin and corner going into the straight are also brilliant but, their is a lot of middle ground, in which there is no drifting. I know where you guys are coming from and am happy i put up that poll :)
screenshot20110112at606.png

This map shows those corners. But also perfectly illustrates your points. Suzuka has too many long straights to be used properly.

i can fore see drifting a 2 minute+ lap on suzuka full track will hardly be called competition between 2 cars/drivers......one car will bound to be quicker than the other car and pulls away on the straight. can hardly be judged when one can speed off on the straight to avoid the following car perform any close tandems in the following corners.

a small section of corners brings tighter competitions between 2 drivers with no straight aways in the middle of the drift section.

Well in that case it would be a nice custom to go at a rate with a proper tandem could be achieved with equal respect.

I use Suzuka all the time. The hairpin and corner going into the straight are also brilliant but, their is a lot of middle ground, in which there is no drifting. I know where you guys are coming from and am happy i put up that poll :)
screenshot20110112at606.png

This map shows those corners. But also perfectly illustrates your points. Suzuka has too many long straights to be used properly.

here's the thing

there are "sections" that are great for drifting and having the full course will also include the "sections" that are terrible for it. including straight away as part of the competition is also a bad idea

i personally haven't seen competitions with a long straight away or unlinkable section in it.

here's the thing

there are "sections" that are great for drifting and having the full course will also include the "sections" that are terrible for it. including straight away as part of the competition is also a bad idea

i personally haven't seen competitions with a long straight away or unlinkable section in it.

Very true i wish their was a version of Suzuka with these "sections" and no straight. But their isn't so i think Suzuka east it is.

It is odd that Gran turismo Officially sponsored D1GP for years but they have very few tracks that are sport specific.

Very true i wish their was a version of Suzuka with these "sections" and no straight. But their isn't so i think Suzuka east it is.

i'm just wonder why not just use the section which d1gp uses? while the gt5 drifting community can hardly be called reaching its maturing stage, the longer the section will only take out the close-ness between 2 drivers.

seeing numerous different drifters who tandems, yes they do drift close here and there.......but hardly can be called fully in sync (same feint transition timing, matching lines/apex clipping)

i'm just wonder why not just use the section which d1gp uses? while the gt5 drifting community can hardly be called reaching its maturing stage, the longer the section will only take out the close-ness between 2 drivers.

seeing numerous different drifters who tandems, yes they do drift close here and there.......but hardly can be called fully in sync (same feint transition timing, matching lines/apex clipping)

Well maybe after this event is completely over the next one could be at Fuji Speedway on the D1GP section.

It is odd that Gran turismo Officially sponsored D1GP for years but they have very few tracks that are sport specific.

There's only four good real world tracks for drifting. Tsukaba, Indy & Daytona road courses and Suzuka east. Indy & Daytona both have really long straights & Fuji has the same problem. Laguna Seca is good but the corkscrew wood be very dangerous to drift in RL i reckon.

The sectional idea is good. Their will be a poll for the next location and specific track i think. As we can then really get to where i want this to be. Ideas of the public, making an event for the public

Okay I'm gonna have to throw some rules down as I'm judging.

Each battle consists of two runs, one with each driver leading.

For each run the drivers will have 10 points shared out between them.

Mistakes such as wide lines or a wheel off track will deduct your share, while high angles, close tandems and good lines will increase it.

If the score after the second event is 10-10 (e.g 3-7 in first then 7-3 in second)
then the battle will be repeated.

It's not a drag race! The leader must not use full throttle off the line, as it would not give a slower car a chance to tandem, and would show no sportsmanship.

NO OVERTAKING unless leader falls off track, in which case you wait for the leader to regain his place before continuing the lap.

Four wheels off = 0-10 score to the other driver, but he must still finish the lap. If he then comes off the track the score will go to 5-5. If the driver finishes the lap without drifting it could lower their advantage over the other driver.

A considerable bump = 0-10, just as going off the track. There may be a slight touch during tandems, as long as it is minor and does not effect the other driver's line too much, it would not score you a 0-10, but may decrease your score.

The judge may decide to re-battle if the previous runs are too close to call for deciding a winner.

And most importantly,
JUDGE'S DECISION IS FINAL

Chris.

Last edited:

Mistakes such as wide lines or a wheel off track will deduct your share, while high angles, close tandems and good lines will increase it.

If the score after the second event is 10-10 (e.g 3-7 in first then 7-3 in second)

Four wheels off = 0-10 score to the other driver, but he must still finish the lap. If he then comes off the track the score will go to 5-5. If the driver finishes the lap without drifting it could lower their advantage over the other driver.

The judge may decide to re-battle if the previous runs are too close to call for deciding a winner.

And most importantly,

Chris.

A great set of rules, chris. These are now the official rules and can be found in the first post. Thanks for your continued support.

There's only four good real world tracks for drifting. Tsukaba, Indy & Daytona road courses and Suzuka east. Indy & Daytona both have really long straights & Fuji has the same problem. Laguna Seca is good but the corkscrew wood be very dangerous to drift in RL i reckon.

The sectional idea is good. Their will be a poll for the next location and specific track i think. As we can then really get to where i want this to be. Ideas of the public, making an event for the public

which is why d1gp only drift a section of fuji........section my friend.......section

A considerable bump = 10-0, just as going off the track. There may be a slight touch during tandems, as long as it is minor and does not effect the other driver's line too much, it would not score you a 0-10, but may decrease your score.

And most importantly,

Chris.

👍👍👍👍👍

There are way more tracks on this to drift then that, and be fluid and consistent with as well. Those are just the ones that people tend to use more because they aren't too hard for them to drive on.

And as HKS is suggesting I agree with that as well.. It would be alot better to use the D1GP section of the course, rather then the full circuit (in either variation). It's alot better for the gt5 community at it's current level to run a shorter course, that's even used by professionals.

There are way more tracks on this to drift then that, and be fluid and consistent with as well. Those are just the ones that people tend to use more because they aren't too hard for them to drive on.

And as HKS is suggesting I agree with that as well.. It would be alot better to use the D1GP section of the course, rather then the full circuit (in either variation). It's alot better for the gt5 community at it's current level to run a shorter course, that's even used by professionals.

I think that establishes the difference between those who just drift in game and dont actually follow the sport, and those who do (myself included)

Sorry, but:

Autumn Ring
Autumn Ring mini reverse
Cote d' azure, 'Monaco'
Deep forest Raceway
Eiger Norwand FWD+Reverse
Fuji
Grand Valley Speedway
Grand valley East Reverse
Indie - Road course
Madrid Mini
Suzuka East
Top Gear Test Track
Trial Mountain FWD + Reverse
Tsubuka Circuit

All Incredible drift tracks!

And I'm sure I missed a couple.

Sorry, but:

Autumn Ring
Autumn Ring mini reverse
Cote d' azure, 'Monaco'
Deep forest Raceway
Eiger Norwand FWD+Reverse
Fuji
Grand Valley Speedway
Grand valley East Reverse
Indie - Road course
Madrid Mini
Suzuka East
Top Gear Test Track
Trial Mountain FWD + Reverse
Tsubuka Circuit

All Incredible drift tracks!

And I'm sure I missed a couple.

Note taken, but really it could be up to your style couldn't it? ( I drift all of the tracks above some more than others, but bottom line i am versatile)

competition will only be exciting when drivers are given a competitive environment, the longer the judged section the less competitive it will become. higher chances of errors

a competition shouldn't be a time bomb to wait for one of the drivers to fail.......which is how i view the current layout.....

a shorter section will truly bring out the competition of better drifts, when 2 drivers are more likely to perform similar drifts.

I think that establishes the difference between those who just drift in game and dont actually follow the sport, and those who do (myself included)

I follow the sport as close as i possibly can (living in australia the broadcast is delayed... by like a year) but i still keep up with the happenings on http://www.formulad.com, www.initialdrift.com.au & of course www.d1gp.com
I love the sport and go to as many local comp's as possible (nearest track is 200km's away.) I have pondered the idea of building a drift car myself. However i am not old enough and do not have enough money to do so yet so i do it through GT.
I am more then familiar with many of the drift layout's throughout the world. Next week will involve a picture poll (if i can figure out how to set it up) with official layouts shown on tracks featured on their respective tracks on GT5. So you guys can decide what layout, from what track we are going to drift

By the way, its official. Round #1 will take place on Suzuka Circuit East. You've convinced me as all your points are valid

competition will only be exciting when drivers are given a competitive environment, the longer the judged section the less competitive it will become. higher chances of errors

a competition shouldn't be a time bomb to wait for one of the drivers to fail.......which is how i view the current layout.....

a shorter section will truly bring out the competition of better drifts, when 2 drivers are more likely to perform similar drifts.

I competed in a team battle against Team NEMESIS with my team <ACN>, and TRUST ME, the short circuit is so intense that it's more than sufficient for a battle. It becomes pretty clear who is better out of the two over that one lap.

Chris.

I follow the sport as close as i possibly can (living in australia the broadcast is delayed... by like a year) but i still keep up with the happenings on http://www.formulad.com, www.initialdrift.com.au & of course www.d1gp.com
I love the sport and go to as many local comp's as possible (nearest track is 200km's away.) I have pondered the idea of building a drift car myself. However i am not old enough and do not have enough money to do so yet so i do it through GT.
I am more then familiar with many of the drift layout's throughout the world. Next week will involve a picture poll (if i can figure out how to set it up) with official layouts shown on tracks featured on their respective tracks on GT5. So you guys can decide what layout, from what track we are going to drift

By the way, its official. Round #1 will take place on Suzuka Circuit East. You've convinced me as all your points are valid

In that case D1NZ is the best local option for all of your drifting needs. Go All Blacks haha jk.

I competed in a team battle against Team NEMESIS with my team <ACN>, and TRUST ME, the short circuit is so intense that it's more than sufficient for a battle. It becomes pretty clear who is better out of the two over that one lap.

Chris.

not saying that i can drift better.......but seeing the vid regarding the team battle thread....it can't be called fully in sync......gt5 drift community as a whole just isn't capable in drifting at that level yet

when i watch drift comps.......i'm expecting 2 cars drifting side by side like a mirrored image

so far i really dont see that happening yet in gt5.....

i truly believe things has to be takened a step at a time........competing at a layout that is most suitable in demonstrating perfect tandem battles are ideal. like autumn ring mini for example......it is a layout mainly rely going throttle control and less of everything else

since such layouts are much easier......it brings out the competitiveness of both drivers.......resulting the closest battles possible..

if 5 years down the road......the general public can drift can drift on a certain track laps after laps stacking on their tire marks.......then i see the needs of increasing layout difficulties.......but at this moment.....i really dont believe having a layout of this difficult is suitable.

not saying that i can drift better.......but seeing the vid regarding the team battle thread....it can't be called fully in sync......gt5 drift community as a whole just isn't capable in drifting at that level yet

when i watch drift comps.......i'm expecting 2 cars drifting side by side like a mirrored image

i truly believe things has to be takened a step at a time........competing at a layout that is most suitable in demonstrating perfect tandem battles are ideal. like autumn ring mini for example......it is a layout mainly rely going throttle control and less of everything else

since such layouts are much easier......it brings out the competitiveness of both drivers.......resulting the closest battles possible..

if 5 years down the road......the general public can drift can drift on a certain track laps after laps stacking on their tire marks.......then i see the needs of increasing layout difficulties.......but at this moment.....i really dont believe having a layout of this difficult is suitable.

Pretty much this

Yhea I agree and understand that not everyone is at that level, but I was just saying that Suzuka East is much better for the battle than Full.

On East the entire east course is linkable from the start of the first corner round to the finish line, which is much better for battles compared to full which is rather dull and sacrafices the huge sweeping bend from the 6th corner, round to the finish. It's a tricky line but everyone managed it at <ACN> vs Nemesis and it looked amazing.

Chris.

Oh and Dino, can you update the rules with what I edited into my first post with them in, thanks.

I will add your updated rules in a few hours (when I'm near a computer and not my iPod) they all look great by the way, this comPetition will really separate the men & boys from the less talented men & boys :)

Back