GTPlanet Scale model thread

• Thread starter bondy_1625
  • 15,735 comments
19113653_1511928342160565_8383502760049556474_n.jpg

My very very modest 1:18 GT cars collection, missing from the photo a CLK LM from Maisto which is actually quite good for the price (used for 15€).
Yesterday I managed to get a XJR9 test car from Exoto for less than 150€!
Missing the antenna and has a light damage to a door hinge but I should be able to repair with no problems.
Plus I got a Zonda C12 from Motormax with the plan to make this LM version...
hqdefault.jpg

Limited to top 50 :lol:

You know your collection is too diverse when....

It isn't diverse enough, As I lack models of Korean cars. Also could use some more Aussie cars... :lol:

MSZ
That's a lot of models Venom.

I have another 140-ish 1/18 models at my mom's house, most of which will stay there till I change apartments at the end of next month. Also the bulk of my 1/43's are also there.

I'm still waiting for him to put together a wall-porium til the paint is no longer visible. :lol:
SOMEDAY.
I just need more display cases lol...

I sold all my models a while ago. It was getting too expensive...But it has to be said, Spark make some fantastic Le Mans models!

Haven't decided yet if I will get the 2016 Porsche. I do know I will get the Toyota, along with a 911 and AM from 2016 probably. I really need more GT cars, since most of my stuff is some sort of prototype lol...

Haven't decided yet if I will get the 2016 Porsche. I do know I will get the Toyota, along with a 911 and AM from 2016 probably. I really need more GT cars, since most of my stuff is some sort of prototype lol...

I am thinking about the Toyota too, that 2016 car was very dramatic. This year's 919 had a very insane run as well, I will probably wait until next year to buy the 2017 model.

Pfft, weaklings :P
While I plan my next few 1/18 purchases. I need to finish up a few sub themes I am close to finishing...
Also, a random detail pic of my AA D-Type's engine. Need to take more pics of this beauty...
nY2kiIz.jpg

Look at all that plastic! :P

Here's an update on the RX-7. I kind of screwed up the pearl clear coat, and left an unfixable mess on parts of the body. Thankfully it's not greatly noticeable; I'd probably wouldn't even be able to photograph it if I tried.

But because of this, I'm deciding to cover it up with stuff: graphics and whatnot. So now what was going to be a plain body street car will now be...

an Itasha.

What character? The colour palette's base had to be white, because I am so not repainting anymore. It was a tie between Akiko Yosano (Bungou Stray Dogs), Ryogi Shiki (Garden of Sinners), Ayanami Rei's plugsuit (Evangelion). Ultimately decided on Ryogi to stray away from Evangelion's popularity in car wraps and because if I were to imagine a scheme for Akiko, it'd be pretty boring and indistinguishable from the character.

So I spent the last hour or so drafting what decals I'll need to craft up now:

19490262_10156267422389097_1787387908_o.jpg

19496368_10156267423129097_154451975_o.jpg

I'd say the idea is technically complete, but it doesn't feel that way. Here's a reference pic of what I'm basing the stuff off of:

59f5cf8998c67e2968c3eb95a1ca274e.jpg

So what's happening is that this character's main colours here (aside from the rosy white), is the bold blue from the sash. Everything else is quite minor. The RX-7 needs some part of it coloured blue to capture that essence, and I initially thought of doing a thick single stripe down the centre of the car. But thinking about it, the idea of having a solid block of floral patterns running down the car seemed tacky. Scrapped it. Thought of ditching the carbon fibre wrapped diffuser in the back in place of having the sash flower pattern take over. So far the idea seems workable (in my head).

But the sash alone still isn't enough. I need more of that kimono being represented. That's where these flowery scribbles present themselves along only the left side of the car, just like how it appears on her left breast. The surfaces that lead to an opening in the body (i.e. grills) are coloured to that of what the under-side of the fabric is coloured. I learned that Ryogi wears a red kimono underneath the white, which we see at the edges, so I'm hoping to capture that by colouring the engine and interior red. I may also colour the very edge of the doors, bonnet and trunk lid red as well, but I worry it may be overkill.

The last thing I plan on doing to top it all off is to plaster a white floral pattern similar to the main kimono's pattern just so the car body doesn't look so unfinished/undeveloped.

#rx7street

A car that left AOS without an answer? I should buy that based on those grounds alone... :P

But joke aside, it's certainly unexpected to see the Arrow in scale model form, I had almost forgotten about it. If it comes in the orange seen in CMS's pics, it's bound to look mental...

:P

I'm regurgitating Facebook news, and for once they didn't mention a name. Guess even they didn't know what they're making.

But goodness, this design looks wild. Almost too wild. But heck I'm looking forward to seeing this in painted form.

:P

I'm regurgitating Facebook news, and for once they didn't mention a name. Guess even they didn't know what they're making.

But goodness, this design looks wild. Almost too wild. But heck I'm looking forward to seeing this in painted form.

"Who dis guys again? Apollo? Isn't that the space program? I bet that's not the real name, ditch it... Let them scale model libraries figure it out. :P" :lol:

But yes, it's mental. Well it had to be since it was brought by the same people that created the greatest car name in high-speed automotive history the Gumpert Apollo, which speaks volumes about their credentials. However it is almost too wild, I'll agree. You could almost post pictures of it in a Rockstar forum and say it's leaked GTA V DLC... It'd make people do a kickflip guessing. :lol:

It's time to post this. If you can help it, don't go out of your way for this.

POSTER.jpg

far%2Bstretch.jpg

I'm unsure what the standards are with BBR, but when they're asking for the amount they go for, it would seem reasonable to be expecting quite a bit. All I know is their quality control went to poop for some time, there is a much cheaper replica of the same Ferrari with the same livery by another brand - what I bought this for, so this post may contain more nitpicking than usual.

top.jpg

The plain body models were great too, as the shape of the car has a lot going on, but I cannot resist a colourful livery.

face.jpg

lamp%2Bf.jpg

The edges of the front lamps were the spottiest parts I noticed immediately. Looks like the cut edges weren't cleaned up fully.

splitter.jpg

splitter%2B2.jpg

bonnet.jpg

The matte black bonnet hook covers weren't an extra piece. It was just painted over the body. It works, but that's a bit of a let down.

bonnet%2Bduct.jpg

Solid mesh. Spectacular.....you'll see why later.

wheel.jpg

side%2Bdecals.jpg

side%2Bduct.jpg

Speaking solely on the level of craftsmanship, this duct is probably the best orifice on the entire car. The tight spaces are done up smoothly even to the edges, and it's real mesh too!

branding.jpg

engine.jpg

Woo engine.... still looks like plastic, but everything else looks pretty good.

wing.jpg

lamp%2Bb.jpg

BBR did a good job with the tail light and accompanied by the mesh here as well.

diffuser.jpg

The carbon fiber wrapping looked to be without flaws. The whole diffuser system down there is probably my next favourite thing about this model.

back.jpg

LE%2B5-99.jpg

profile.jpg

Great model overall. I'd say this is about as good as a Spark model, speaking solely of the exterior alone. The two liveried Astons I have looks just as good, and only come at a big fraction of the cost too. It's likely too early to say it, but unless you're a Ferrari Fanatic, and unless it just so happens to be this particular model not being a good representation of the average quality of models, you may not need to look into BBR's resins. There are plenty of other brands out there that do just about the same level of work, give or take a few finer features, but for the most part, I'm not seeing a differentiator from Spark, Ignition, or Top Marques.

Great review AOS san, I've read a 458 GTE review(different model, I know) from Stu on DX, he basically said the same thing, quality wise it's really not much different from a Spark.

To be honest, I've always thought of BBR being horribly overpriced.
In the time I've owned models, Spark has always struck me as a brand that delivers a stunning model for the price. Yes, the parts do not open, but every part of the model, as well as the interior and the livery is pretty much perfection for a 120-150 euro model.

Thanks, dudes. Get a Looksmart if you want a 488 GTE.

I'm primarily let down by the solid mesh on the body because there are regions where there is actual mesh, so it bothers me that a brand that markets their stuff to its level that it would cut corners like that.

If they didn't leave these out, I could easily justify spending the extra money for those tiny additions. I mean, that's how we've always separated high-end labelled products from lesser brands anyway; what it has that others don't. The leather base and acrylic case tend to be the extra fluff consumers will get if the company's asking for another $100 on top, but like you guys said, when you've got brands out there that can match the similar levels of quality while still being $100s less, you've really got to question its worth.

I will say this though: This is still a better investment than any of those Minichamps Art Cars. I'm just a goddamn sucker for scarce things and art liveries. Pro tip: Don't be a sucker.

Funny how a $150 USD Spark can have perforated grills yet a $230 LookSmart or nearly$400 BBR doesn't, lol. The only vents that ain't perforated on the 961 I posted are the small side intakes behind the doors.

Even with that, both look great still, though I will probably end up with the LookSmart myself due to price.

Back