GTPlanet Scale model thread

• Thread starter bondy_1625
  • 15,735 comments
@Hayden I was in Sydney recently and decided to check out Model Cars Too like you recommended. Pretty damn good selection, but quite expensive. Must be quite a hard position to be in because they wouldn't get too many sales, which drives the prices up to pay for itself. Imagine trying to predict what models people will actually buy, it's near on impossible. But then less people buy things because it's expensive. Ended up buying a 1/43 Spark Porsche 919 for me and a Norev Mazda Cosmo for a friend (of whom I still haven't given it to... If I drag it out a few more months it's a birthday gift). Being able to actually got to a model shop and see what I was buying before getting it was nice though. If it's still around and I go back to Sydney, I'll go again because I was tempted to buy more. There was a nice Alpine A210 I had my eye on.

919.jpg

And when I got home, I decided to get a Kyosho 1/43 Lotus Europa, which was held down by one screw when it arrived, so it was rotating side to side and the front was hitting the case. Lucky not to have any damage.

europa.jpg

Taking pictures of a black thing on a black base isn't fun... This is why I choose to make little effort into taking photos. :P

@Skython glad you enjoyed the shop! Prices are quite high, especially in retrospect now that I’ve spent more time researching the hobby. I’m yet to see anything like their selection though.

Fantastic choice with the 919. If that was there when I visited, I 10/10 would’ve bought it. 👍

I followed a random ad to a strange auction website in the Netherlands and mistakes were made.

Massive deceased estate model car auction. Thousands of lots and a very broad selection. I found my favourite lot, carefully crunched the numbers on exchange rate, did an external shipping estimate, allowed a bit for fees and thought I was still on to a pretty good deal.

Wrong. Shipping was three times the external quote, buyers fee of 25%, lot fees, all of which made worse by my banks exchange rate being lower than google’s.

I paid twice what I was planning to for these 6 1:43s. Which, really stings to be honest. A valuable lesson learned but some cool models to show for it.
9518D2FE-F7DF-4095-8837-B15CC2B091E2.jpeg

Descriptions, closer pictures & values in the spoiler :)
BB9B3C11-22BD-408B-9C82-CE18CB221206.png
First off is this “Nissan Calsonic Impul GT-R Super GT500 2013 #12”, by Ebbro.
The previous owner liked to modify his models. Many in the auction, including this one, had their stickers removed. I’d have preferred having stickers, but it’s pretty unique to see a Super GT in plain clothes. Mint and if you can find one, this model seems to fetch $80-$150 :eek:

05EE762C-A8A2-404F-A218-07E4CA7DF595.png
Next up is this “Nissan 350Z Endless Advan Z Super GT300 2005” by Ebbro. This one is worth around $40, and is a nice model for my Nissan collection. I always liked Z cars :D

9EA8E219-FC1A-4500-B44A-EAE11B555DA8.png
I already have one of these, as it came in the Le Mans collection I bought. However, I can’t actually find any others for sale online. Race versions are around the $50 mark, so it might have similar value. Must be pretty rare I guess.

2ECB9E50-5753-4203-A236-3DCA77DECADC.png
The Ill-fated GTR LM Nismo is a model i’ve wanted for a long time. Electrical gremlins and poor results aside, it was the boldest and most innovative race car of my generation. This one, sporting the Manchester City livery it had on display of round 1 of the 2015 WEC, is a bit weird. I’m not sure how a livery that, far as I can tell never touched a track, gets its own model. But I guess it’s the joint appeal to football collectors that sees it worth around $70.

CE4877B0-B658-4CA7-9805-4907EFD64A00.png
This one is a mystery. The box is for the rare, Asia, GT6 collectors pre-order exclusive “Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 N24 2013 15th Anniversary Edition” by Ebbro. However, being black rather than blue, the car is the wrong colour. Despite his habit of removing stickers, no other models I saw auctioned had been resprayed. Obviously that’s a whole different level of difficulty so I think it’s far more likely that this was incorrectly boxed while his collection was packed up. A damn shame, as the model this box comes with is worth over $200! :banghead:

Edit: Studied the photo very carefully, dug through pages of photos of 1:43 Super GT cars and I was correct. Car in the box is actually a (again destickered, and significantly less valuable) Lexus SC430 Super GT.
2A859B5B-2F6A-4AAC-9E01-504CA34B766E.jpeg
A cool car in its own right, but not something I really have a place for in my collection. I’ve contacted the auction house to see if they can perhaps locate the item that I wanted. It’s a shame the only photo of the lot is of such low quality or I would’ve noticed it sooner. I doubt they’ll do anything, but it’s worth a go :irked:

B796B94B-F2BA-4234-9DDB-16AA7258FD67.png
Finally the “Nissan Concept 2020 Vision Gran Turismo” by Kyosho. Apparently much more common in gunmetal grey, this car needs no introduction on this website. Value seems to be around $75 for the blue version. This is a model that, along with the other 5, truly deserves a place in my Nissan collection. Very keen for them to arrive :)

Now that I’ve properly researched them, I actually got a very good deal despite the surprise charges. What was the name of that ice skater who got a gold medal because everybody else fell over? :lol:

Last edited:

I already have one of these, as it came in the Le Mans collection I bought. However, I can’t actually find any others for sale online. Race versions are around the $50 mark, so it might have similar value. Must be pretty rare I guess.

Well, I'll definitely take it :lol: One of my favourite Le Mans cars!

Had no idea that Jada was making the Toyota 2000GT. Not a fan of their quality, but I had to have a model of the 2000GT. About 1/36 scale

I was going to say, great for modding.... but it's 1/36.

I could sell you my 2000GT if you want to mod.

DX's ironsim is selling most of his collection, and I managed to get his GT Spirit Yellowbird for half of market price.

Worth a look if you are looking for some quality stuff because he has a lot.

Today I noticed that the white number decal on my AUTOart DBR9 started yellowing, so I decided to put it back into its own box and stash it away. While it could have been that way when I bought it, I suspected that it’s because of the contact with sunlight over the past few months because I noticed that the one on the side facing the sun had more pronounced yellowing than that facing away. Does this also happen to cars with gloss white paint, or can anyone who has displayed any white model car tell me if they experienced yellowing on the cars? Asking this because I intend to change the display to the white LFA now, but I fear the same will happen to it over the following months in summer. Also, do die-cast or resin cars show any differences, or will the car turn yellow gradually regardless of material, so long as it’s painted white?

It depends on your displays conditions. If the model is just out in the open it will just start to fade. If anything models must not face direct light.

Concerning diecast and resin; you should be careful with the latest because it causes glue problems and pieces just may fall.

I remember mine. That was one of the better models, save for the cracked decals (bite my thumb at thy, winter).

Was it a steal?
Paid about $150 for it. Not a bad model considering how old it is lol. Same flea market also has a Sunoco Camaro, also GMP... i REALLY need it lol

It depends on your displays conditions. If the model is just out in the open it will just start to fade. If anything models must not face direct light.
But the problem is that it’s almost constantly put in a covered display case, and sunlight rarely shines on it, if ever. I’d always pull the curtains before the sunlight reached the models, so it surprises me to see that yellowing still occurs.

Thanks for the reply. 👍

Latest Posts

Back