GTPlanet Scale model thread

• Thread starter bondy_1625
  • 15,734 comments
I'm starting to lose hope that Almost Real will ever produce the Bentley Blower.

This narrows down the radar to the Cinque Roadster, and the possibility of another NA1 NSX by some other brand.

MSZ
When was the last time did you see me sharing anything at all?

Once in a blue moon, a wild MSZ appears haha.

Impression Cars posted photos of this Tarmac Works:

95915589_3031639000192936_5006241054475681792_o.jpg

95798098_3028754050481431_2135130329919258624_o.jpg

95566211_3029419577081545_4328542257943674880_o.jpg

Decal looks looks nothing like their 1/64 products.

Last edited:
I held back on the S208. Took a bit of effort, but I convinced myself those wheels aren't suitable for a bulky car like that. BTW if you're looking for it, manufacture product code is IG1667. Amiami never uses it, and not having product photos makes it frustrating to locate the exact one. Carloverdiecast has it. @1241Penguin, hobbysearch and amiami don't have it available. (https://www.amiami.com/eng/search/list/?s_keywords=ignition wrx 1/18)

Instead I decided I'm going to look for an NSX and RS200 and go through with the modding ideas I've had for a while now.

Also sold my TSM McLaren F1 GTR today. I always hate it when the buyer asks me to check over the model before shipping because looking at it makes me want to keep the car all over again.

A question for the regulars around here...:

Do you or do you not care that your 1/18 scale models have doors, trunk, frunk, hood, bonnet or hatch that open?

I have always thought that scale model cars with moveable parts were better, but I am starting to see that most models do not have.... Or am I wrong?

What are your takes on this.

While I probably won't get the IG one, I probably will get the Kyosho Samurai version since like, half the price lol. I can always put aftermarket wheels on it myself anyway...
And yes, I do collect everything @MSZ lol

*EDIT*

Do you or do you not care that your 1/18 scale models have doors, trunk, frunk, hood, bonnet or hatch that open?

I have always thought that scale model cars with moveable parts were better, but I am starting to see that most models do not have.... Or am I wrong?

I do prefer an opening diecast to a sealed one normally, but at the same time overall quality matters more. Unfortunately due to my... Varied taste in cars, a lot of oddball ones I really like only get made in resin due to low popularity.
But anyway resin models like GT Spirit, Ottomobile, Spark, and so on all have lowered R&D costs due to being sealed chunks of resin, along with lowered production costs if doing low volume (3000 units or less). Any higher and the repeated costs of new molds (resin model molds are made of high density rubber) start adding up.

Last edited:

I have always thought that scale model cars with movable parts were better, but I am starting to see that most models do not have.... Or am I wrong?

scale model cars with movable parts were better
This is how most people would see it from a logical perspective, as you're getting the most out of a product quantitatively. This is how we have budget models like Maisto and Bburago. They got doors, bonnets, spinny wheels, but the brake discs are flat grey plastic, the engine block with all their hoses, tubes and whatever else an engine has, is a single plastic piece of a single colour. It's got a little bit of everything you want, but isn't amazing at any feat. Noticing this is how I've arrived at what I look for.

A part of me firmly believes that the thought of having functioning doors and boots sucker you for more $$$ because they evoke that "ooh la la oh so fancy visible insides" sensation. While I appreciate the extra craftsmanship put into it, my take hasn't changed largely. Model cars sit like museum pieces. They don't move, and I don't expect them to. As long as they look the best they can be, that's adequate. If a company isn't going to invest in nailing the material accuracy of the interior or engine, then don't show it off. Sealed diecasts and resins make sense in that regard.

Be the best you are aiming to be, but don't commit to more than you're willing to put effort in.

So to answer your question, if the brand goes all the way in what they do, they yes I can care for seeing what's underneath the bonnet and doors when proper hinges, springs, as well as all the miniature wiring, rivets and high-res decals are put in place. If you're not looking to show off the innards, then I can dig it too, but they ought to ensure everything visible is looking as good as it can be; rotors that actually look like worn metal, lamps with its corrugated slots that match real lamps, grills that are perforated, and paint that is so high in quality that you'd become nauseous from inhaling the fumes.

I rarely open up my models myself, and I do collect all kinds of different car models so as of now I prefer sealed resin models.

But from time to time I do appreciate some nicely done fully openable models like the AA Mazda 787B or the Kyosho Lexus LX570 I recently bought.

Opening parts is the whole reason why you buy a 1:18 car in the first place... Resin models aren't worth it - you might as well buy a 1:43 scale car.

Opening parts is the whole reason why you buy a 1:18 car in the first place... Resin models aren't worth it - you might as well buy a 1:43 scale car.

I am of the same philosophy but as @Venom800tt and @AOS- have explained above, I have sort of graduated from Maisto because I am NOT able to find what I want...

These are the cars I want.... And I found them from Ottomobile

I got this a couple of years back:
ot675.jpg

And am waiting to receive this later this month:
bmw-e30-325i-sedan-dolphin-grey.jpg

They are very well done !!!
Unfortunately they don't have movable parts...

But they are the only choices I have so must accept them as is.

Last edited:
As a long time collector, I don't think it is quite that simple. Even being sealed, a 1/18 resin is generally going to have more detail than a 1/43 one, just due to having more room to work with. My Ignition 1/43's are a decent amount less detailed than my 1/18's from the same company, especially in wheel and brake detailing. Also you get more little details that are just impossible to capture in 1/43. Anyway a 1/18 is just going to have far more shelf presence than a 1/43 any day of the week.

To me it’s a bit of most of the opinion that others have voiced before me, but I think Venom800tt’s view that fits me the most. Whenever I saw something that I want, I’ll always want to make sure I have the most detailed model with the most ‘gimmicks’ (without it going crazy expensive, such as into the realms of Amalgam), which is why when there is the option to choose between models that have opening hoods and such and fully closed ones, I usually go for the former. This explains why I have an openable Frontiart One-77 instead of a fully closed version made by the same company. But if the openable model’s overall quality does not stack up to the closed version, then I’ll go for the closed version instead. This explains why I have an AUTOart DBR9 instead of a Solido one. Another reason I go for the openable models is that there is usually much more details that can be photographed on them, thus opening up more possibilities for photography that simulates realism. In fact, I think whether the model is photogenic has a very hefty place in my buying decision as well, so if I ever decide that I need a LC500 in my collection (just to illustrate; hope that won’t be the case :scared:), then I think I’ll go for the AUTOart one instead of the Almost Real version, in spite of the latter having more gimmicks, because from what I see, the AUTOart version’s tyres are more realistic, and Almost Real’s gimmicks don’t aid in the ‘photography realism’ bit. And also because I’m not a fan of the blue+orange interior colour combination on the Almost Real, but that’s an aside.

Despite of coronacrisis, my 1:43 collection keeps growing.

Some Abarths...
YOcVn4HemnQ.jpg

Remeber that useless little Italian car we got in the beginning of Gran Turismo 4 career, Autobianchi A112 Abarth? Here it is, the beige one. Although it's an earlier version of 1975 (the one in GT4 was a later variant, with different taillights).
cfYEfnppH-M.jpg

Abarth 124 Spider
PCBV9kO-14o.jpg

Abarth 595 Competizione
2ADXCGFRyag.jpg

Abarth 1000 berlina/Corsa
D74zL_-AzpA.jpg

...some Group B rally legends...
bZlslSRnHqc.jpg

...and more, some of which you can already see here on the background.

I'll post more pics when I've done sorting them out.
sHM8ncm6uqA.jpg

Last edited:
Fun fact: I currently have exactly 25 models, and let go of exactly 25 to date. (1/64 excluded)

As a long time collector, I don't think it is quite that simple. Even being sealed, a 1/18 resin is generally going to have more detail than a 1/43 one, just due to having more room to work with. My Ignition 1/43's are a decent amount less detailed than my 1/18's from the same company, especially in wheel and brake detailing. Also you get more little details that are just impossible to capture in 1/43. Anyway a 1/18 is just going to have far more shelf presence than a 1/43 any day of the week.

I agree it's not as simple as Clowndes wrote, but perhaps he is more after the car itself as well as components you can interact with, and less of the smaller details.

I know he also collects 1:64s, and at that scale, you're definitely not expecting opening parts and high-resolution details.

Fun fact: I currently have exactly 25 models, and let go of exactly 25 to date. (1/64 excluded)

I agree it's not as simple as Clowndes wrote, but perhaps he is more after the car itself as well as components you can interact with, and less of the smaller details.

I know he also collects 1:64s, and at that scale, you're definitely not expecting opening parts and high-resolution details.

Your fun fact has me asking another question for everyone here to answer... :

With 1/18 models, why would you let go of some?

In my mind... I would, and so far I only have been adding to my collection... I have not been able to do a clear inventory of my collection ( long story ) but I believe I am at least at 40 if not more than 50 at this point...

I don't see myself getting rid of any of them, unless drastic situation...

What about you all ?

Last edited:
Your fun fact has me asking another question for everyone here the answer... :
When collecting 1/18 models, why would you let go of some?
What about you all ?

I buy model cars because I don't possess the skill level or tools to make them myself. I also buy what I'd like to own and would probably never own (to a reasonable financial degree/other priorities).

For me, my initial reason was keeping control on my discretionary spendings. Basically If I want more, I let go of some; minimize new costs incurred.

Then it became a case of running out of storage space. I'm trying my best to contain all my collectibles' boxes within my room only without it spreading out to other parts of the household. I'm not interested in the idea of developing a man cave or walls of things of little significant meaning to show off. A whole wall of model cars to me indirectly shows off how much disposable money I have. I could be putting up my own artwork/other creations instead and that would have infinitely more value/meaning.

After that, I've been cutting back even more because I've been keeping myself relatively broke (in my eyes), never paid attention to how much I've been spending per year. I learned a few years ago I'd be drastically wealthier today if I made better use of my money back then, so with the saying "better late than never", I'm on the road to making that change. Instead of narrowing what I would consider buying down to only decent quality brands, I'm narrowing it down keeping what cars are the most special to me. A shoddy all-plastic and sealed Minichamps Ford Fiesta WRC opened my eyes to that.

poster.jpg

It is easily the lowest quality model I have, and I rather keep that over others of greater quality such as:

low%2B3%253A4.jpg
frontleft.jpg
front%2Bquarter%2B4.JPG
topfront.jpg

In realizing that allowing myself to collect anything so long as it was of good quality, creating the mancave would've been inevitable. I like too many cars for too many reasons. It would mean more if I can be more selective in what makes the cut. I've been reviewing what I currently own every now and then for the last month, and there are only about three more I think I can let go of (if I really have to). In the last 2 years, I've recovered about $4400 by letting go of things (all scales) that I've no strong attachment to.

Collecting things was an experience I didn't fulfill when I was younger, and now that I've had 8 years of it, I'm content with dialing it down. I can't deny there is a thrill of hunting discontinued goods, appreciating the beauty of the work, and basking in the prospects of profiting off a resale. I don't foresee me graduating from this entirely yet, but I'm definitely not going to be as active as I once was.

Edit: These are great discussion topic questions you're dishing out by the way. I'm enjoying this quite a bit.

Last edited:
Your fun fact has me asking another question for everyone here to answer... :

With 1/18 models, why would you let go of some?

In my mind... I would, and so far I only have been adding to my collection... I have not been able to do a clear inventory of my collection ( long story ) but I believe I am at least at 40 if not more than 50 at this point...

I don't see myself getting rid of any of them, unless drastic situation...

What about you all ?

I buy model cars because I don't possess the skill level or tools to make them myself. I also buy what I'd like to own and would probably never own (to a reasonable financial degree/other priorities).

For me, my initial reason was keeping control on my discretionary spendings. Basically If I want more, I let go of some; minimize new costs incurred.

Then it became a case of running out of storage space. I'm trying my best to contain all my collectibles' boxes within my room only without it spreading out to other parts of the household. I'm not interested in the idea of developing a man cave or walls of things of little significant meaning to show off. A whole wall of model cars to me indirectly shows off how much disposable money I have. I could be putting up my own artwork/other creations instead and that would have infinitely more value/meaning.

After that, I've been cutting back even more because I've been keeping myself relatively broke (in my eyes), never paid attention to how much I've been spending per year. I learned a few years ago I'd be drastically wealthier today if I made better use of my money back then, so with the saying "better late than never", I'm on the road to making that change. Instead of narrowing what I would consider buying down to only decent quality brands, I'm narrowing it down keeping what cars are the most special to me. A shoddy all-plastic and sealed Minichamps Ford Fiesta WRC opened my eyes to that.

poster.jpg

It is easily the lowest quality model I have, and I rather keep that over others of greater quality such as:

low%2B3%253A4.jpg
frontleft.jpg
front%2Bquarter%2B4.JPG
topfront.jpg

In realizing that allowing myself to collect anything so long as it was of good quality, creating the mancave would've been inevitable. I like too many cars for too many reasons. It would mean more if I can be more selective in what makes the cut. I've been reviewing what I currently own every now and then for the last month, and there are only about three more I think I can let go of (if I really have to). In the last 2 years, I've recovered about $4400 by letting go of things (all scales) that I've no strong attachment to.

Collecting things was an experience I didn't fulfill when I was younger, and now that I've had 8 years of it, I'm content with dialing it down. I can't deny there is a thrill of hunting discontinued goods, appreciating the beauty of the work, and basking in the prospects of profiting off a resale. I don't foresee me graduating from this entirely yet, but I'm definitely not going to be as active as I once was.

Edit: These are great discussion topic questions you're dishing out by the way. I'm enjoying this quite a bit.

Thanks for your answer, I love GTPlanet forum, but this particular thread on the scale models is my favorite.

This sort of discussion is what makes this enjoyable and lively.

I miss my cars.

I don't have all of them around me right at this moment...

I have always loved cars since I could remember, probably earlier than 3.

I have always played with and had cars from different models, sizes, brands, and types.

I am not a serious of a collector as a lot of you here, I m no where near your levels, and due to finance and time, I probably never will. It's not my intent either, but it doesn't mean I love cars any less than you are.

I started my 1/18 model collection a little over 20 years ago, but even then, it wasn't even my intention to start a collection.

My first, I just picked a Maisto model from Costco back in the late 90s... And from here I added one here and there every so often.... Usually road cars that I like...

Just like you @AOS- I bought these cars because I wish to have them in real life, but probably will never will be, so my desire to get them in smaller scale.

In the end, or at least up until now, I believe I have about 50 of them.

You might wonder why I don't know the exact count is: it is because I have moved across Oceans and Continents a couple of times in the past two decades, and I wasn't able to drag all of my models each time, so my collection is currently spread between two continents.

I wish and i can't wait to bring my whole collection back together one day.

Right now I am working on getting a glass cabinet ready so that I can display them once that day come.

Up until now I was fortunate not to reduce my collection, but

For now I will stop buying because I already know I am running out of room even before I start building that cabinet.

I cannot wait to show you all my collection one day when everything will be coming together...

Last edited:

I say this because I bought a resin V8 Supercar a few years ago. I'd never purchased a 1:18 scale car at that point, and because it was relatively cheap, I thought why not. I had in my collection for a while but sold it soon after because I couldn't justify keeping a 1:18 model without the 1:18 features. At that size, it's stupid not to have opening parts. Maybe if I was an exclusive 1:18 collector I wouldn't care but because I'm not, a resin model makes no sense to me. Buying a 1:18 is very much a novelty for me, and having a car with opening parts adds to that novelty value. Simply buying a 1:18 for the extra small details is pointless if nothing opens.

It is ok that you think opening parts is a must. But we all collect car models for many different reasons, there is a non-collector I know who is a huge 911 fan, he said he wouldn't even think twice about buying the GT Spirit 1:8 964 even if it's a very expensive sealed model. He just loves how the model looks in his eyes.

I pretty much buy cars that I like, though I mostly lean to sports/supercars and race cars. I tend to collect a lot of odd-ball cars that I am even lucky to have in 1/18 as resin models, due to their obscurity. And me personally, I'd rather have a non-opening model of a car over no model at all, which is the case for nearly all of my resin and sealed diecast models. And while some do have opening options, a resin GT Spirit is a heck of a lot nicer to look at than a Maisto with laughable engine detailing anyway. Most resins have interiors better than such budget models as well, which is sad considering that they don't even open. But with my collection having cars like the Dauer 962, Isdera Commendatore 112i, Vector M12, Yamaha OX99-11, and Cizeta V16T, I would never have models of those if I just stuck to things that open, as I am almost certain non will ever be made in opening form. Also opening race cars are quite rare, and have been for quite a while. You really don't see hardly any opening F1 cars for example, and even with Le Mans cars there just are not very many that open up, due to numerous factors.

But as far as my history with models goes, I started with Hot Wheels 1/64's like most folk, then I moved to 1/18 in around 1997-ish, though unfortunately I do not have the earliest models I had. Pretty much stuck with only 1/18 till around 2008, where I started picking up 1/43's in addition to more 1/18's. Now I have around 300 1/18's (about 1/3 of those resin/sealed diecast models), a handful of 1/24's, around 120 1/43's, and a few hundred 1/64's. At the moment space isn't an issue though I can only display around 140 cars or so. After probably another couple dozen I might have to redo how I store my boxes, lol.

But anyway I don't truly cap myself in the same way that AOS does, nor do I sell stuff, at least not often. I have traded several models to friends in exchange for other models, usually due to gaining a duplicate model. Like for example I had a Spark Porsche 991 GT3 RS in silver, which after I got the Ultraviolet AUTOart version, saw no real need to keep it so I traded it to a friend for a Highway 61 Yenko Camaro. Another model, and AUTOart Bentley Speed 8 I traded to the same friend after I got the superior TSM version. Though now with the airline industry in survival mode, I have to be a bit more picky with purchases due to not having quite as much money, plus a car payment that also cuts into spending money.

How much disappointment should I expect from buying the Bburago 1/24 scale Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrafoglio? I'm finding myself diving into a bad rabbit hole of wanting to buy diecast models of cars I've experienced in real life. At least in terms of having the opportunity to drive with my journalist friend. (Which...this could get expensive if I plan to buy ALL the cars I've tested) Honestly had a lot of fun with the Stelvio and I'd love to have some physical sort of memorabilia for that time. As much as I liked it though, I'm not sure I want to go for the Ottomobile version.
the_stelvio_qf_by_medigoflame_ddkkxam-fullview.jpg

18822NX_HERO__27517.1565985372.jpg

On the other hand, it might almost be worth it to buy the Ottomobile model.
alfa-romeo-stelvio-quadrifoglio.jpg

I suppose it's more of what it's worth to me.

How much disappointment should I expect from buying the Bburago 1/24 scale Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrafoglio? I'm finding myself diving into a bad rabbit hole of wanting to buy diecast models of cars I've experienced in real life. At least in terms of having the opportunity to drive with my journalist friend. (Which...this could get expensive if I plan to buy ALL the cars I've tested) Honestly had a lot of fun with the Stelvio and I'd love to have some physical sort of memorabilia for that time. As much as I liked it though, I'm not sure I want to go for the Ottomobile version.
the_stelvio_qf_by_medigoflame_ddkkxam-fullview.jpg

18822NX_HERO__27517.1565985372.jpg

On the other hand, it might almost be worth it to buy the Ottomobile model.
alfa-romeo-stelvio-quadrifoglio.jpg

I suppose it's more of what it's worth to me.

Bburrago can make some good stuff, but in this case, the Alfa in 1/24 is pretty much a toy for kids to play or display in their room, but not really for you... U less you just want to have a fun little memorabilia as you said.

The price difference is quite a bit, so yes it is up to you and more importantly what the rest of your collection look like.

If you have mainly 1/18, the Ottomobile version is a good display model...

Bburrago can make some good stuff, but in this case, the Alfa in 1/24 is pretty much a toy for kids to play or display in their room, but not really for you... U less you just want to have a fun little memorabilia as you said.

The price difference is quite a bit, so yes it is up to you and more importantly what the rest of your collection look like.

If you have mainly 1/18, the Ottomobile version is a good display model...

I have a bad mixture of both. Although I really like Welly's 1/24 scale models. (Wish they did the Stelvio instead of Bburago) Wouldn't mind the Bburago if it was a little better, but it looks bad enough to drive me towards the nicer Otto. Seems silly to compare the two, and silly to want a model of a car I really only spent a day with. It was certainly one of my most memorable drives though.

I like to display, but sometimes I just like the tactile feel of a model in my hands. Kind of why I bought the 1/36 scale pullback Kinsmart Z4 instead of the 1/18.

I have a bad mixture of both. Although I really like Welly's 1/24 scale models. (Wish they did the Stelvio instead of Bburago) Wouldn't mind the Bburago if it was a little better, but it looks bad enough to drive me towards the nicer Otto. Seems silly to compare the two, and silly to want a model of a car I really only spent a day with. It was certainly one of my most memorable drives though.

I like to display, but sometimes I just like the tactile feel of a model in my hands. Kind of why I bought the 1/36 scale pullback Kinsmart Z4 instead of the 1/18.

I know people don't like being told what to do, but if you think this may help keep it under control, perhaps you may want to sleep on that thought of wanting to have physical memorabilia for about a month each time you test drive a car. Sometimes that spark will die out once you get over that "honeymoon phase/fad" for a lack of a better term. Sometimes you may be like "well hell yeah" for the first week while it's still fresh in your mind. But come some time later when you've stopped thinking about it actively or have tested other cars, if you bring it back up and then can't stop thinking about it by then, maybe then it's worth pursuing for you, even if the quality is average at best.

I know people don't like being told what to do, but if you think this may help keep it under control, perhaps you may want to sleep on that thought of wanting to have physical memorabilia for about a month each time you test drive a car. Sometimes that spark will die out once you get over that "honeymoon phase/fad" for a lack of a better term. Sometimes you may be like "well hell yeah" for the first week while it's still fresh in your mind. But come some time later when you've stopped thinking about it actively or have tested other cars, if you bring it back up and then can't stop thinking about it by then, maybe then it's worth pursuing for you, even if the quality is average at best.

I can understand that as it would get way out of hand. I've sort of set a limit for myself when it comes to most of the cars I've driven. Mainly focusing on 1/64 for the lesser drives. (As you know, I've been going for regular cars recently) But the Stelvio stands out and it's something that's stuck with me since I drove it last November. But maybe I should just go with the cheaper Bburago.

I can understand that as it would get way out of hand. I've sort of set a limit for myself when it comes to most of the cars I've driven. Mainly focusing on 1/64 for the lesser drives. (As you know, I've been going for regular cars recently) But the Stelvio stands out and it's something that's stuck with me since I drove it last November. But maybe I should just go with the cheaper Bburago.

Nothing wrong going with the Bburrago.

Please I hope you don't think I am telling you what to do or not to get... I am not setting a standard for you either.

As a matter of fact, I too have plenty of 1/24 Welly's more than I am willing to admit or even keep track ...

I certainly can understand why you were so impressed with the Alfa, so many people love that car once they try it... Too bad it is so under-rated, or maybe it's a good thing so it feels a bit more exclusive Everytime you see one...

Latest Posts

Back