GTPlanet Vinyling ClubMusic 

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 941 comments
New one added. The fourth release from Library of the Occult. Excellent Baroque, synth, psych & Funk.

394506A7-7F05-48D4-B6BB-9A08F227286F.jpeg
B122BC25-0835-4EDA-A4C2-9EA8F50C3252.jpeg

Also picked up a new record brush.

7BB7D038-660F-4AF9-813C-5ABE14D04065.jpeg

Hung out with my records and stuff yesterday. Audio Technica 440mla and LP Gear 3600 something cartridges, two VPI tables… etc.

C4B7C07F-AA51-4F14-804A-2A10373E20E6.jpeg

10B1A98E-D145-49FF-B529-9F320FEC69CE.jpeg

If it weren’t for the convenience of modern stuff, I’d be CDs and vinyl every time.

Happy spinning.

Those there are the first generation Mjolnir and Vali. One has an interesting topology, the other is nothing new. One seems as if you’re using an electric power plant as an amp, the other, a little headphone amp. I could do without the Vali and I’d take the DNA Sonett over the Mjolnir based on musicality alone. However both schitts are fine amps. And the phono Mani is okay, too. Schitt has done a good job.

New addition to the ever growing Jazz collection. A RSD Black Friday release. Issued in Japan in 1977 this is its first wax reissue outside of that country. Herbie Hancock Trio.

Recreated down to the Obi Strip and Insert.

3EEEDE0F-CE3E-4A42-9EC6-2B7E3F41A243.jpeg
C5EC88FC-EC08-4A48-9332-B63DC6E4736A.jpeg
B63C0289-7016-419B-A507-D871EC28E63C.jpeg

First new this week is the wonderful Tenderlonious and his ragas from Lahore. Excellent music from Pakistan.

218474E4-3B0F-4D9B-8580-CF13E45974E6.jpeg

Then this week see the release of Cowboy Bebop soundtrack. Released on very lovely looking wax.

0D4E4459-FC33-47AC-9F06-8AF9C6A601E3.jpeg

A1281245-1244-4676-8680-1F6C45C816CF.jpeg

647D1998-DE0B-4361-BAB5-AE5D8AB7AB6D.jpeg

More Japanese Jazz music on Vol 1 & 2 of J Jazz compilation from BBE Records. I picked one up direct from the label as they still had stock but Vol 1 had sold out ages ago so I found a sealed copy on Discogs.

C975F3FE-393B-43C4-8821-001E981C9168.jpeg

My latest "normal" purhcases:

The Kills - Little Bastards
Metallica - Death Magnetic
Nas - King's Disease

DSC_0156.JPG

My other purchase is the result of too many adult beverages a couple months back as I purchased a years subscription to Jack White's Third Man Records Vault. My first release is their recently released Greatest Hits compilation only with different artwork, colored vinyl and a third disc with various other songs. Also in the package was a sheet of lyric magnets and 3 prints.

Honestly I'm not super thrilled with it as it doesn't seem like $60 worth of stuff (especially when the normal edition of the album is only $30), but considering it's at least a band I like it's not the worst thing in the world. Hopefully the next release it a little more satisfying.

DSC_0157.JPG

Got two new John Coltrane LPs from my Fiancée. Seeing as she asked me what I’d like I wasn’t surprised but very happy nonetheless.

F1CCE37B-8B62-491F-9E1A-5AA18FF01B3B.jpeg

160AF9F9-BBEA-4761-BA24-149AE6FCF282.jpeg

Both part of the new Verve Acoustic Sound Series. I don’t own any older pressings of these records so I can’t speak to the new masters, but I’m super stoked to have them as part of the collection.

next is an LP I bought myself early this month. It’s the latest from Library Of The Occult label and is a new soundtrack by Dream Division.

3B8B01E9-B0DB-43B8-B059-EDF8B64730EA.jpeg

A5DC30D7-C358-4755-BA02-2A2203F23768.jpeg

New addition from Japan today.

Another Ondekoza record for the small collection.

D0017CC2-E2C9-4372-B08D-F522E0643D02.jpeg

6B02FB82-9571-4C47-9D24-48BEB15384DC.jpeg

Also I did some reorganising of the shelves and thought I’d share an updated pic.

498FE064-08D2-4D20-9D9B-EA197A331B2C.jpeg

Last edited:
I made a trip to the record shop and also finally received a couple records that should have arrived months ago.

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road: I've decided to focus on Elton once my Metallica collection is done (so close). Figured this one was a good place to start since it's my favorite album of his.
Maggot Heart - Dusk to Dusk: I ordered this all the way back in June but do to Covid they couldn't ship it from Germany until late October, from there it took until this past week to arrive. The seller was communicative and it arrived just fine so no harm no foul, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again if an artist I liked used their service (which seems doubtful since they seem to deal with mostly death metal, which isn't my thing).
Kansas - The Absence of Presence: This one also should have arrived months ago but due to an issue with a different album in the order and how the store ships stuff it took until now for them to actually ship it.
Gary Clark Jr. - The Story of Sonny Boy Slim: I'm a big fan of his and since I don't have this album yet I decided to go for it.
The Allman Betts Band - Bless Your Heart: I liked their first album so I decided to get their second one.

DSC_0159.JPG

I also seem to have gotten my cousin more seriously into vinyl as I bought him a Garth Brooks box set for Christmas and now he is looking at upgrading his setup from his current all-in-one unit. :lol:

Last edited:
Some more additions to my collection.

Havok - V: This is the album that caused the above Kansas one to be delayed. Originally I ordered a green vinyl version of it but they somehow lost the entire order of that version, not just mine, everyone's. They wound up refunding me the cost of it and sent me a free copy of the plain black version so I can't really be too upset.

Oceans of Slumber - S/T: I recently found out about this band and quite liked what I heard so I pre-ordered their new album.

Soundgarden - Live From the Artists Den: During my recent record store trip I saw this in their "Featured" area, after a couple days of debating I made a return trip for it.

Dream Theater - Distant Memories: Live in London

DSC_0166.JPG

My Metallica collection is now complete! I wasn't even aware they had a vinyl version of Through the Never until I checked to see if St. Anger was back in stock so that was a pleasant surprise as the other live vinyl releases are either acoustic or with an orchestra.

DSC_0167.JPG

Now my focus turns to Elton John.

New in...

First is a 4 track 7 on Polyphonic Youth label. Music is by Hologram Teen aka Morgane Lhote of Stereolab & The Projects. This is her solo work and I have her first LP on the same label. Excellent Synthy Funky Disco stuff.

901432BE-A029-4EA1-A0A7-69D500BDD0C7.jpeg

FC204274-2C3C-4A98-873A-175C11DB7076.jpeg

Next is the new release from Data Discs. They release Shenmue back in 2015 and I picked up their translucent blue pressing (1st press) and it’s been waiting for Shenmue 2 to be released and Data Discs have finally done it this year. They also released a heavy card slip cover to house both records.

Slip Front
CEE2D64F-9ACA-4C57-BC7D-D26F445B71FB.jpeg

Slip Back
9B98AD2F-5C4B-4C2D-9FC5-9772AEBD1DFF.jpeg

Records..

B0E8A310-2159-46B0-A791-FFEF498DFCD9.jpeg

950D79B4-A6D3-4737-AEA8-4E1745949E52.jpeg

5ADF17A2-1312-45E2-973D-CE9CEC6BAEE9.jpeg

A19413F9-C2D7-4A04-BDC8-0CA0CD34DA30.jpeg

Received a raise this year so I figured it’s perfect timing to start making a hobby out of this.

My most recent purchase:
2CD33371-D9F9-4A1B-8A1D-321F19DAE9A9.jpeg

I’m expecting a second vinyl from the same artist, Jonwayne. I really enjoy underground Hip Hop even though I really look the furthest thing from it. Next I’m hoping to acquire some Del the Funky Homosapien, and maybe some Aesop Rock after that. I should really make up a check/wishlist.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if you’ve used Discogs before but it has a great wishlist function. It’s good to keep an eye on expected prices too.
I have actually heard of it but never had a reason to use it prior to this year, but with my new plans, I think I'll finally give it a go. Thanks for the reminder!

Last edited:
Discogs is great, especially when you're at a record store and can't quite recall what you already have. Plus the app makes it insanely easy to add albums to your collection as it has a built-in scanner.

Also, I have started my Elton John collection with his first 2 albums (S/T is gold colored vinyl).

DSC_0169.JPG

DSC_0170.JPG

57C4C981-0B94-4D52-B3E0-B8A42970A417.jpeg

Second Jonwayne vinyl came in today, Rap Album Two.

Have two Indie Folk vinyls coming in over the weekend from Sea Wolf! :)

Also, if anyone is interested in Hip Hop, I have a free download for the first album I posted the other day, Cassette on Vinyl.

Hello! :) Don't know why I haven't posted here sooner. While I have been aware of their existence and my mothers large collection for a long time now, vinyl is something I started to take interest in back in 2019, primarily to help expand my country music library, and it's only gotten greater since!

The only one I actually own myself is this one:
IMG_0041.JPEG

One of my personal favorites and one of the big reasons why I like Tanya Tucker! :D

My mom on the other hand, has a TON of different records. Here's a good number of them I was able to get pictures of.
IMG_0038.JPEG

IMG_0040.JPEG

IMG_0042.JPEG

And that's not even all of them, theirs more located elsewhere, but these were the ones I had immediate access to. The first 2 pictures are primarily country, the last one is a slew of different genres, many of which are unfamiliar to me. We have artists like Queen, Bee Gees, Heatwave, Waylon Jennings, Beach Boys, John Denver, Crystal Gayle, Elvis Presley and so many others I could name here, it'd take me forever to document them all.

So yea, I'd say I have a lot to look into. I am hoping to start digitizing these in the future, but my current turntable isn't quite suitable for it.

906F043C-FA29-49C0-BD11-8356582E85ED.jpeg
C8EA72A2-3B7B-4C04-9146-5B0588F483DD.jpeg

Ok might be the last purchase for the month, but all the ones I want right now being under $20 makes it hard to resist.

The Leaves in the River vinyl came with a free download copy as well, so if anyone is interested in it just let me know and I’ll PM it to you.

Last edited:
So I after posting here last night, this thread inspired me to look around and dig up the rest of my moms records to make more pictures.
IMG_0045.JPEG

Maybe my imagination was way too strong, but I swear I caught a whiff of bubble gum upon handling that "Super Bubble" record prior to taking this picture.
Here's a close up of the two on the bottom left.
IMG_0043.JPEG

And here's the rest of the smaller records.
IMG_0046.JPEG

And to my knowledge, this post and my previous one is all the records I can find around my house. Been thinking since last night, but I might try to document every single one on a spreadsheet sometime. The more I think about it, the more I want to check some of these out. Should be interesting since I have so many I have never listened to and are by artists I have never heard of.

I made a trip to the record shop and also finally received a couple records that should have arrived months ago.

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road: I've decided to focus on Elton once my Metallica collection is done (so close). Figured this one was a good place to start since it's my favorite album of his.
Maggot Heart - Dusk to Dusk: I ordered this all the way back in June but do to Covid they couldn't ship it from Germany until late October, from there it took until this past week to arrive. The seller was communicative and it arrived just fine so no harm no foul, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again if an artist I liked used their service (which seems doubtful since they seem to deal with mostly death metal, which isn't my thing).
Kansas - The Absence of Presence: This one also should have arrived months ago but due to an issue with a different album in the order and how the store ships stuff it took until now for them to actually ship it.
Gary Clark Jr. - The Story of Sonny Boy Slim: I'm a big fan of his and since I don't have this album yet I decided to go for it.
The Allman Betts Band - Bless Your Heart: I liked their first album so I decided to get their second one.

View attachment 983350

I also seem to have gotten my cousin more seriously into vinyl as I bought him a Garth Brooks box set for Christmas and now he is looking at upgrading his setup from his current all-in-one unit. :lol:
Sonny Boy Slim is excellent on Vinyl, are they still pressing it as a double with side four an etched version of the cover art?

Sonny Boy Slim is excellent on Vinyl, are they still pressing it as a double with side four an etched version of the cover art?

Not sure if its still in print and being pressed, however plenty of copies are available, some still sealed too.

Yup. Etchings on unused sides of vinyl have to one of the coolest, yet most pointless things ever. :lol:

Not sure if its still in print and being pressed, however plenty of copies are available, some still sealed too.

I think it may have temporarily gone out of print along with his other releases as they were out of stock everywhere I looked for some time but are now all readily available once again.

@Sonygamer455 if you put them into the Discogs database, it will give you all the details of each record plus you can then export a spreadsheet with them all on.
Neat! I'll definitely do that, thanks for the advice! 👍 I got to thinking, but I really need to because I am planning on getting a new record player for recording those old records and I don't think it supports 78's.

Which brings me to this. Has anyone had any experience with this one? I am considering it whenever it stocks up again, but I want to know a few things first.

Last edited:
Which brings me to this. Has anyone had any experience with this one? I am considering it whenever it stocks up again, but I want to know a few things first.

Granted I have no experience with that particular turntable, it appears to have the same generic mechanical bits as most other budget turntables. It works is about the only positive and I wouldn't bet money on the USB recording function actually being worthwhile. If that's what you can afford than the price is right for what it is, but I would certainly recommend searching for a used turntable first as you may be able to get a better setup for not much more.

Back