GTPlanet vs. Mariah Carey [2020]

• Thread starter Daniel
  • 244 comments

Please indicate your Carey'd status below:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So far I've been repeatedly whammed (which I don't mind as I do enjoy the song) and had the displeasure of hearing several covers of the Mariah Carey song but no signs of the original version. I really need to break my habit of cycling radio stations in my van though as my #4 preset has made their annual switch from classic rock to Christmas music. :nervous:

I have to avoid preset #1 on my car radio. My truck has a USB thumb drive in it all the time. It’s my safe zone. But, do you know one place that isn’t safe? The girlfriend’s car. She plugged her phone in & lit up her IHeartRadio app. The Christmas music began. I damn near had an argument telling her that I can’t hear Mariah’s song. She asked “How do you know it will come on?” I said it was popular & so was the song that played when she started her app. It’s going to come on. :scared:

Can i divorce my sister in law?? Got Carey'd when she sent me a link for for a spotify playlist she created.

**** just got real for the first time.

Cover version at WalMart.

I was bored at work & thinking about plans for the weekend. Oh crap! We are planning to go to a Christmas light show & they play Christmas music the entire time. Mariah is sure to be played (possibly more than once). It sucks to know that I'll be marching right into the firing squad. :banghead:

Thankfully Nick Grimshaw took forever to describe the next song he was going to play, so I was able to turn the Radio off before the Careycophany began.

My dad is out. He started at the wine department today, and he got knocked out on his first day "I'm out of the gtplanet Xmas song contest. [Work] at 822p 12/1"

First near miss of the game for me. Had to make a stop on the way back from the track, and popped into the Maccas to grab a quick bite. As I'm sitting there eating, I realize it's a Christmas playlist. Thankfully, no Mariah Carey, but I don't think I've eaten a big mac and a quarter pounder quite so fast before getting out of there and back to my prepared non-Carey Christmas tunes. :boggled:

And......... I'm out before even getting my name added to the list.
Got Carey'd by an Apple Tv ad on tv, just another reason to despise Apple and it's products.

Well that near miss didn't last long. It turns out having people working from home in rooms adjacent to commonly-travelled hallways sucks when they listen to the radio.

@Daniel @TJ13

Updated to post #131. @Shaun, you signed up prior to December 1st so I've added you to the original list.

Y'all need to invest in some of these.

I still haven't been whammed, thankfully. I've been playing Whamageddon on a few Discord servers and added Last Christmas to a friend's playlist. Which caused them to get Whammed...

upload_2020-12-2_23-57-20.png

Updated to post #131. @Shaun, you signed up prior to December 1st so I've added you to the original list.

Y'all need to invest in some of these.

I still haven't been whammed, thankfully. I've been playing Whamageddon on a few Discord servers and added Last Christmas to a friend's playlist. Which caused them to get Whammed...

View attachment 975741
300+ dollar headphones to avoid Mariah Carey?

Worth it.

Working from home. Lockdown for a month till yesterday. Hardly go out - only been to 2 shops in a month.

Didn't matter - didn't count on Radio Alarm and local radio...

Bollocks!!!

I'm out @Daniel

EDIT I'm surprised the word bollocks isn't filtered...

Bollocks
Bollocks
Bollocks

:lol:

Last edited:
Tried trolling y’all in the status update, got no casualties tho :(

I’m still safe. With shopping on Amazon I think I’ll make it to the end as I don’t listen to the radio. I could get had if the nfl plays her song as a buffer.

Jerome

@Daniel @TJ13

So did my Christmas shopping today, spending a lot of time at the mall. I swear, I heard just about every version of "All I Want For Christmas Is You" that wasn't the original 1994 single. I was dumbfounded at my luck, but still figured I was flying awfully close to the sun.

Sooooo over to Barnes & Noble for a few WWII books for my old man. Barnes & Noble with its laid back easy listening music and fresh new book smells always made me feel nice and secure and safe. I'm looking through the rearranged shelves to find some drawing books for myself, stumble upon the psychology and personal growth section. I see books on recognizing gaslighting, how to overcome anxiety, how to meditate, and then apparently the Kama Sutra is in the personal growth section, and I'm left thinking "that's kind of a weird section to put that in."

...and that's the last thought through my head when my wax wings finally melt. Mariah Carey finally makes an appearance in my shopping adventures.

I'm out.

Oh and also, I have three other friends who are also doing this challenge. I told them about it around Thanksgiving and so far only one of them has been Carey'd and go figure, it's the one that never goes anywhere (His name is Ryker). One is a waitress at Applebee's and somehow has not heard the song(s) play yet, and the other is @TyOfHazard who doesn't really come on here.

None of us have been Whammed yet.

Last edited:
Forgot to sign up but I've made it into December without being Whammed or Carey'd. I doubt it's going to last much longer, though.

Builders are here, I'm stuck in my office at home with work to do, Last Christmas is thumping out on their stereo.

Won't be long now.

Can i divorce my sister in law?? Got Carey'd when she sent me a link for for a spotify playlist she created.
No, but you certainly can make sure that your brother and sister in law get garbage gifts as a thank you for giving you MC.

Builders are here, I'm stuck in my office at home with work to do, Last Christmas is thumping out on their stereo.

Won't be long now.

Well I never... still in! I'm not sure which easy-cheesy channel it was but it clearly couldn't afford the big MC this morning. And the bathroom's back in one piece.

Aaaaaand I got unceremoniously dumped out at 12:10pm today thanks to one of my work colleagues blasting tunes on his wireless speaker. 🤬

@Daniel @TJ13

Back