GTPlanet vs. Mariah Carey [2023]

• Thread starter Daniel
  • 257 comments

What's your current Carey'd status?

• Total voters
I had an unknown close call this morning.

My wife was blow drying her hair when I walked into the bathroom to brush my teeth. When I finished brushing, the morning show on the radio said something about Christmas music and mentioned Carol of the Bells by Trans-Siberian Orchestra, which I did hear, and AIWFCIY, which I did not hear over the dryer and tooth brush. :scared:

Wow, that's harsh man. You didn't even have a chance to chuck a used tinny at his head in retaliation?
No nothing mate, the shock kicked in so didn't even get the chance to mutter an expletive under my breath.

And...... I'm gone.

Out cycling this morning, couldn't have been better. Clear skies and no wind, just cruising along at 30km/h with hotels and my left and the water on the right.

Then it happened, a car slowly approaches from behind. Windows down with the cursed song playing.
Carey'd by drive by.

Welp, my late night walks with my dogs have become abit perilous now (Especially with my earbuds picking THE perfect time to stop working)

No nothing mate, the shock kicked in so didn't even get the chance to mutter an expletive under my breath.
I know what you mean. It's the shock of hearing the intro followed by that sick feeling of horror and dread.

When I heard it in the pub my mates were asking me why I started screaming all of a sudden and I had to explain it to them. I'd only popped out once this month to see my best friend off on his trip to Thailand and was planning to hole up for the rest of December. I thought it'd be safe as it was only the 3rd, but... 😭

Last edited:
Welp, my late night walks with my dogs have become abit perilous now (Especially with my earbuds picking THE perfect time to stop working)
Keep your wits about you and your earbuds charged, that's to only advice I can offer.
Good luck.

Still safe here, although I might not be anymore, as a coworker of mine has got a radio, and I don't want to wear earphones constantly while I work 😅

It appears more and more are going out from the George and Mariah double slap.

Last edited:
I survived three UPS Store trips, now I'm gonna head to PetCo. My Co-Workers also think we are all nuts for doing this.

Jerome

I just got a random Teams message at work, telling me that I have the dreaded song as a charades prompt for a team-building exercise...

I just got a random Teams message at work, telling me that I have the dreaded song as a charades prompt for a team-building exercise...
oh-no.jpeg

Christmas party this evening. Surprisingly only covers were played or performed. Not that it helps as I was out before the month started.

Wandered downstairs into the kitchen just as a conversation on the radio was finishing up... Jo then says "we'll play you your Xmas song", no announcement as to what it is so I'm cheerfully thinking "there's dozens of popular ones, what are the odds it's going to be that one?"

Cue the bells...

I don't want a lot for Christmas. There is just one thing I need... @Daniel's (EDIT and @TB's) punny rundown of how the Carey casualties met their various demises.

I guess we have a poll to record our names but I'm missing the jokes this year.

Last edited:
The BBC there doing its best to not give the impression of trawling Wiki for colour.

However the original Ladbible article from which it drew the story... not so bothered:

The origins of the challenge are believed to have started on GTPlanet, a sim racing-themed online forum

I maybe got Carey'd, but I can't tell for sure, because I arrived at the end of the song and it was not Mariah singing. According to coverinfo.de there are 111 covers of the song. I don't know the original song good (well?) enough and I can't listen to the original...

Last edited:
I maybe got Carey'd, but I can't tell for sure, because I arrived at the end of the song and it was not Mariah singing. According to coverinfo.de there are 111 covers of the song. I don't know the original song good (well?) enough and I can't listen to the original...
You get one free listen to the original version if you aren't familiar with it.
General Rules and Guidelines:

If you haven't yet heard the song, just click on the video below to watch it before avoiding it until next year.

Back