GTPlanet vs. Mariah Carey [2023]

• Thread starter Daniel
  • 257 comments

What's your current Carey'd status?

• Total voters
Carey and the ghost of George Michael definitely appear to be double-teaming a lot of us this year.
Come to think of it, as of now I still haven't been Whammed this year and as it stands the drive by Carey is still the only one.

With a bit of luck it stays that way but with such a long time still to go I'm not holding my breath.

After a shift overnight at work, decided to go down to the cafeteria for a small little scoop of scrambled eggs.

Was given a complimentary side of "All I Want For Christmas"

I'm out on the Carey front. Still in the game on the George Michael front.

Got Whammed twice last night scrolling through Instagram. I was too focused on avoiding the Carey curse that I forgot there was another threat to my eardrums. Still safe from the Carey though so I guess my focus was working at its intended purpose.

My dad got Carey'd Sunday night. My mom played a bunch of instagram/facebook reels over her phone speaker and one of them had Carey on in the background. I'm still in, as I was upstairs when it happened.

Last saturday I visited the local trampoline park. The owners played just two songs in rotation: Last Christmas and All I Want For Christmas Is You. Luckily, both versions were covers. I had to endure each song about ten times.
That's got to be some form of abuse. Sue em.

So close... got Carey'd by an Instagram reel just now. Think the same thing happened last year, didn't learn my lesson. :lol:

Great, now the radio station I work for is using it for the christmas ads...

Kill Me What GIF by ZIP ZIP
Not enough??... Now we're having a kids' christmas party that started with it... I'm about this close to turn into this guy...

Merry Christmas GIF by Storyful

Ok, in All seriousness, actually is really beautiful to see these kind of things after a Lot of stress, and really funny as well to SEE the kids play with their parents/other kids ♥️

Last edited:
Since i was already out before it started, i have not had to watch out for the song.
So far, i've heard it al least 10 times lol.

The song was so far from my mind up until yesterday morning. I didn't realize I was signing the song in my head until I was halfway between exiting the grocery store and my car. Had I not thought about it, I wouldn't have realized they Carey'd me! I only heard the first couple verses before I was out of the building.

Took the L yesterday in a Hotel Chocolat. And was faffing around in there long enough to have to listen to all of it.

The crazy thing for me since I got Carey'd I have not heard the song anymore. It's like I just heard the song to be knocked out of the contest. 🤣

Hmm. From the NYT:
The game started about 18 years ago when [Thomas] Mertz and some friends in Denmark noticed how ubiquitous the song was and started telling each other when they had been “hit” with it, he said.

Whamageddon has a Facebook page with more than 16,000 followers and a website that got more than 500,000 visitors last year, according to Mertz.

“It’s just a funny little thing that a couple of idiots from Denmark did to entertain themselves during Christmas,” Mertz said.
Now, I know we didn't invent it, but there's literally no evidence (thus far) of it anywhere before the GTPlanet thread in 2010.

Mertz is claiming he and his friends invented it five years earlier. Incidentally, Mertz also runs a Whamageddon website - set up in 2016 - through which you can purchase lots of Whamageddon-themed tat merchandise 🤔

Big Elon Musk Tesla Founder energy...

Hmm. From the NYT:

Now, I know we didn't invent it, but there's literally no evidence (thus far) of it anywhere before the GTPlanet thread in 2010.

Mertz is claiming he and his friends invented it five years earlier. Incidentally, Mertz also runs a Whamageddon website - set up in 2016 - through which you can purchase lots of Whamageddon-themed tat merchandise 🤔

Big Elon Musk Tesla Founder energy...
The real question is Mertz a current or former GTP member?
1703284384649.png

Soooo,

• GTPlanet thread set up in 2010
  • Guy in question joined GTPlanet in 2013
  • Guy also has a site that was set up 6 years after said GTPlanet thread was posted.

1703284623120.png

Last edited:
And so it happened, 1 day before Christmas Eve I was walk-by Carey'd. Out getting some gelato, walking back to the car when I heard the dreaded tune playing out of someone's phone. What an unfortunate way to have my Christmas Eve Eve ruined :yuck::banghead:

I was walk-by Carey'd
Horrible isn't it, don't know what's worse. That or the drive by I copped.

Anyway since I've been out for weeks I thought I'll have a bit of fun with it all and see how long I would ask after saying "ok Google play me some Xmas music" while I was prepping some stuff for tomorrow.

3 seconds, that's how long it took as a guess before I heard it :lol:.

Back