GTPlanet vs. Wham - Thread of the Year!

• Thread starter Daniel
  • 2,980 comments
Eleven hours and twenty two minutes to go here in Blighty.

I'm feeling confident, but not that confident.

Also, surely this competition would be fairer if it was all measured on UTC, otherwise inhabitants of the Line Islands of Kiribati would have a 26 hour advantage over somebody whose plane had had to make an emergency landing at Baker Island airstrip. (Although admittedly Baker Island is probably a good place to avoid getting Whammed!)

Last edited:
I'm bad!
icon_twisted.gif

Watching the Ozzys' New Year's Eve fireworks live on breakfast television. Feels weird.

Edit

"A woman in Idaho was killed yesterday when her two year old shot her...

And Australia is celebrating New Years right now, that's right, they're 16 hours ahead. Boy, they didn't worry about the cost down under."

Wait what?!

Last edited:
Just over 10 hours to go. I didn't make it through to the end completely Wham! free which is a huge let down.
I'll take some solace from the knowledge that I only heard around half a minute of the song while walking past a pub that had it playing loudly on Christmas Eve. There is very little chance of being Whammed again today.
I totally could have won. But didn't. :banghead:

Hats off & congratulations to everyone who survives.
Happy new year to all. :cheers:

Sorry to those that lost, but with my countermeasures that have become a habit for me, this turns out to be an easy victory. Or I've been hearing the radio at the right times. I did get whammed at 2013, and at my home locale too.

Anyways, you know what song I'll celebrate with.

Eleven hours and twenty two minutes to go here in Blighty.

I'm feeling confident, but not that confident.

Also, surely this competition would be fairer if it was all measured on UTC, otherwise inhabitants of the Line Islands of Kiribati would have a 26 hour advantage over somebody whose plane had had to make an emergency landing at Baker Island airstrip. (Although admittedly Baker Island is probably a good place to avoid getting Whammed!)
However, someone in Hawaii could win with 12 hours left in the year.

OP says:
Don't post any links to the song in this thread. This place is a safe haven.

I`m confused now... :grumpy:
The thread has been full of links to the song. It's just that clicking links that are in the Wham thread wouldn't count.

5 hours, 53 minutes left.

Still debating whether I want to Wham! myself just for the sole purpose of being the last person Whammed!.

T-minus 6:37 as of typing here. Saved once by a question from a parent on nas' whamming attempt, then a combo of slow internet and drunk relatives loud enough there probably should have been noise complaints, and I survive after being way closer to defeat than I thought I should have been.

Well, 2014 is over - time to roll out the stats.

Times hearing Last Christmas: 69
Times hearing cover versions: 3 (Jimmy Eat World x1, State of the Heart x2)
Times hearing the Wham! deliberately: 25
Times legitimately Whammed!: 41

Verdict - Utter disaster.

Back