GTPlanet's 2017 Racing Game Predictions

Yes, but the FIA seems to be adding very little to the actual game from what we've seen so far. It's there, but it's not going to make me race any different, or more competitively on GTS compared to any other game. From what I remember, all it's doing is giving you access to a license that you'd still have to purchase and work with all on your own. I'm not entirely sure how it works exactly, and I'm not sure anyone else does either. The only thing sanctioned is the name itself, but there doesn't seem to be much other tie-in within the game other than what I noted.
Isn't there some sort of FIA tie in with the Manufacturers Cup and Nations Cup. I found this:

A product of three years of work with the FIA, the game will harness two separate officially endorsed world championships, which will feature both online qualifying rounds and live streamed regional and world finals.

It's remains unclear whether these finals will be live events, but FIA chief technical officer Charlie Whiting will be a judge in the FIA World Final, according to the game's creator Kazunori Yamauchi.

There are two categories of competition within the game; a Manufacturer Fan Cup and a Nations Cup, with class divisions based on age and region.

Winners will progress to regional finals for the top players in each country - who will then move to a World Final.

The regions are split into three loose time zones: the Americas; Europe, Africa and the Middle East; Asia and Oceania.
https://www.autosport.com/other/news/124365/gran-turismo-sport-and-fia-details-revealed

I know this is old and I have no idea how reputable this is, but I would think it's a fairly significant FIA contribution to the game, that's if it actually pans out. I tend to take these things with a bit more than a grain of salt.

Isn't there some sort of FIA tie in with the Manufacturers Cup and Nations Cup. I found this:

A product of three years of work with the FIA, the game will harness two separate officially endorsed world championships, which will feature both online qualifying rounds and live streamed regional and world finals.

It's remains unclear whether these finals will be live events, but FIA chief technical officer Charlie Whiting will be a judge in the FIA World Final, according to the game's creator Kazunori Yamauchi.

There are two categories of competition within the game; a Manufacturer Fan Cup and a Nations Cup, with class divisions based on age and region.

Winners will progress to regional finals for the top players in each country - who will then move to a World Final.

The regions are split into three loose time zones: the Americas; Europe, Africa and the Middle East; Asia and Oceania.
https://www.autosport.com/other/news/124365/gran-turismo-sport-and-fia-details-revealed

I know this is old and I have no idea how reputable this is, but I would think it's a fairly significant FIA contribution to the game, that's if it actually pans out. I tend to take these things with a bit more than a grain of salt.
Yes, we knew there would races and that you'd get a chance at a racing license (using your own resources), but what exactly is that adding to what was already said?

It's just puzzling why they're so quiet on that front, but that's a PD thing I suppose.

At this point, it doesn't look to be doing anything for either aspect of the game.
In order to get the FIA license, you will have to have certain racing sportsmanship, and you will have to have a certain level of skill at driving fast. It will make the online modes a bit more serious, with less people crashing into eachother, save for some trolls who will try to spoil the experience for everyone. Online racing will be a bit more realistic in the sense of sportsmanship, which will make for better and more serious racing.

Yeah, but what does racing while people watching you have to do with the FIA and GTS? That can very much happen in pretty much any game, especially with those that have their feet on the ground already.
The e-sports scene will be bigger with an official partner and sanctioner like the FIA. The racing simulation e-sports will be brought to new heights in a big part thanks to this partnership. Other genres of gaming have a much bigger e-sports presence than racing simulators, and this will change because of GTS.

In order to get the FIA license, you will have to have certain racing sportsmanship, and you will have to have a certain level of skill at driving fast. It will make the online modes a bit more serious, with less people crashing into eachother, save for some trolls who will try to spoil the experience for everyone. Online racing will be a bit more realistic in the sense of sportsmanship, which will make for better and more serious racing.

All of that is "in theory". Going off the beta there are issues with the rating system and that was only a test run with a couple thousand players. I will be thoroughly impressed if the rating/matchmaking system works as advertised simply because of the fact it seems like it's something most developers have issues with.

The e-sports scene will be bigger with an official partner and sanctioner like the FIA. The racing simulation e-sports will be brought to new heights in a big part thanks to this partnership. Other genres of gaming have a much bigger e-sports presence than racing simulators, and this will change because of GTS.

How exactly? Because the only way I see that happening is if the FIA really pushes it and so far all I've seen is stuff from PD's end. Hell, even searching "Gran Turismo" on FIA's website gives no results relating to the game.

I also think you are over-estimating the power of the FIA name as most casual fans probably have no clue what they do and the ones that do know probably don't really care about their logo being on a box.

All of that is "in theory".
Ofcourse it's in theory. It can't be a fact when the game isn't even out yet.

Going off the beta there are issues with the rating system and that was only a test run with a couple thousand players.
Well, it was a test run, so...

How exactly? Because the only way I see that happening is if the FIA really pushes it and so far all I've seen is stuff from PD's end. Hell, even searching "Gran Turismo" on FIA's website gives no results relating to the game.
Again, the game isn't out yet.

I also think you are over-estimating the power of the FIA name as most casual fans probably have no clue what they do and the ones that do know probably don't really care about their logo being on a box.
Maybe PD will introduce the FIA in the game in case people don't know them, don't you think?

While I would like to think this would be the case, I'm not personally convinced it will be.

The FIA are of minimal importance and relevance to the average gamer, as such I'm not sure the draw will be that big.

PD and the FIA have no experience at all in this type of esports and that's why I think that they also need to strengthen this package with a dedicated esports organisation such as ESL.

Ofcourse it's in theory. It can't be a fact when the game isn't even out yet.

Well, it was a test run, so...

True, but on the flip side they've been at it for 4 years. I have a hard time hoping they will be able to solve the matchmaking issues pretty much every developer has in the few months since the beta ended.

Again, the game isn't out yet.

The game doesn't need to be out in order for the FIA to hype up their involvement (in fact pre-release would be the ideal time to do exactly that).

Maybe PD will introduce the FIA in the game in case people don't know them, don't you think?

I would imagine PD will have a few mentions of FIA, but will it really make a difference? People really don't care about sanctioning bodies, they care about the series themselves and GTS will feature exactly 0 of them.

While I would like to think this would be the case, I'm not personally convinced it will be.

The FIA are of minimal importance and relevance to the average gamer, as such I'm not sure the draw will be that big.

PD and the FIA have no experience at all in this type of esports and that's why I think that they also need to strengthen this package with a dedicated esports organisation such as ESL.
I'm of this view point too and it's something I say in the article. I highly doubt MLG Gamer Joe Bloggs is going to care if some pompous group of motorsport boffs say 'this game is our official partner'.

I wish I had the myopic world view you did

Myopic? I think realistically cynical and honest is probably more apt. I have been playing racing games since the mid 80s. And every single racing game between then and now all had the same build up, hype, reactions etc etc.
The truth is that there will never be the perfect racing game, we will always want just that bit more :)

Play them all because each will offer its own little difference, its silly to pick a winner and only play that one.

Sorry to whine about this. I'm just waiting for my pC2 preorder to be placed. And I'm waiting for GTP's review. Is this going to release before the game hit's the shelves?

I don't quite understand this multiclass racing thing. Why would you want that? Doesn't it only happen in real life for convenience and cost saving and whatnot?
It principally happens because it makes for a more varied and interesting race, you get races within the race and the added challenge of slower and faster cars on track at the same time.

Multi-class racing is both excellent to watch, but also to take part in when sim racing.

I'm gonna give PCars another chance in this one. PCars 2 is looking good right now. First was kinda meh for me.

As for Forza 7, even though there's no chance of me buying it (due to not owning an Xbox One or a good PC to run FM7), I'm still excited to see how FM7 goes especially on the Xbox One X.

Lastly for GT Sport I'll definitely buy it since I never missed out on any GT games. I am curious to see how eSports will work out. And also it's looking good graphically wise.

2017 is indeed a good year for racing games. I've never been this hyped ever since.

Back