GTPlanet's Gran Turismo 3 Time Trial Contest Thread

• Thread starter SlipZtrEm
  • 187 comments
Great looking old skool comp đź‘Ť It's a shame I don't have GT3 or PS2 anymore or I would have booted it up :( anyway here's a very old thread from back in the day when the very best GT players from that era were battling all the time trials just scroll down to TT6 on the first post to see what was possible on this event in 2003...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/the-time-trial-comparison-thread.8200/

Good luck to all still running this wicked blast from the past :cool:

btw on a side note... in 2 days I will be a 15 year member on GTP, says something about how good this forum really is :cool:đź‘Ť

Cheers :cheers:
Wow, thanks for digging this up! It's nice to know where I stand. It seems the PAL region is definitely quicker (about half a second) than NTSC since you can turn ASM and TCS off. And it seems wheels are a few tenths quicker (although not always) depending on the car & track.

Anyways, I improved my time yesterday. Four times actually. I guess I'll post the slowest of the bunch now. I'll save my final time for later today.

1:13.595
IMG_1930.JPG IMG_1931.JPG IMG_1932.JPG

I tried for some hours again, and was on a few 1:13.6xx and 1:13.5xx, but I always botched the lap at the final chicane, it's sooo difficult to get it JUST right. Was hoping to still win, but then saw the post above from GNR1987. The ABSOLUTE BEST I could hope for would be a 1:13.4xx, but I'm sure he would have beat that one also.
And holy ****! at these times from the one thread from the past, someone had a 1:12.9xx, I would LOVE to see that lap.

Last edited:
We have till midnight pacific time to post our time?

Midnight here in Toronto (EST), so 8:45 left. Nice time, what a way to represent Canada. :D

I'll be posting my time here shortly after the deadline. đź‘Ť

Midnight here in Toronto (EST), so 8:45 left. Nice time, what a way to represent Canada. :D

I'll be posting my time here shortly after the deadline. đź‘Ť

Are those, who have participated by driving, also allowed to participate by guessing your time?

I tried for some hours again, and was on a few 1:13.6xx and 1:13.5xx, but I always botched the lap at the final chicane, it's sooo difficult to get it JUST right. Was hoping to still win, but then saw the post above from GNR1987. The ABSOLUTE BEST I could hope for would be a 1:13.4xx, but I'm sure he would have that beat also.
And holy ****! at these times from the one thread from the past, someone had a 1:12.9xx, I would LOVE to see that lap.
The chicane is a nightmare. I've been at it seemingly forever and keep butchering it. On my fastest lap, I was 2 tenths ahead of my ghost, but I only came out .009 ahead thanks to the chicane. The ghost I'm using ran the chicane perfectly, so I'm constantly getting passed at the end of the lap. I must've tried a hundred times with no success. I'll keep trying for a little while, but I'm about to give up. :irked:

I'm constantly getting passed at the end of the lap. I must've tried a hundred times with no success.

This is why I gave up trying and settled for the 1:15.5 lap. It was an average lap with an almost spot on line through the chicane, just shame I couldn't seem to navigate it so well on any of the many faster laps I was doing. I could be up as much as a second at the last split. :irked:

So here's my my final driven time: 1:13.799
13872479_887673604697820_632409484_n.jpg

Have also a replay, but only from the 1:13.830 time. Well, they are virtually identical. Also, I have added a bonus video, an old replay from the Skyline time trial in Deep Forest, with also a respectable time, hope you enjoy. đź‘Ť

Toyota lap starts at 6:20.

So here's my my final driven time: 1:13.799
View attachment 571946

Have also a replay, but only from the 1:13.830 time. Well, they are virtually identical. Also, I have added a bonus video, an old replay from the Skyline time trial in Deep Forest, with also a respectable time, hope you enjoy. đź‘Ť

Toyota lap starts at 6:20.

Nice run, especially for a controller!! It's pretty interesting taking note of the difference no ASM and TCS makes with regard to how the vehicle responds and reacts. My line through turn 1 and 2 is totally different.

Anyways, I've been up all night and am quite tired, so I'm gonna post my times now. I tried to improve but the more I tried the more I just essentially went backwards. I feel a perfect lap - for me - would be 2 tenths quicker than what I ran. My best lap was hit and miss. I nailed some sections and lost time in others.

I wish I could try the time trial without ASM and TCS. Or even better yet, on an emulator! lol. Be interesting to see how much smoother and quicker emulation is, even though it's not allowed.

Without further ado, here it is:
1:13.392
IMG_1952.JPG IMG_1950.JPG IMG_1951.JPG

Nice run, especially for a controller!! It's pretty interesting taking note of the difference no ASM and TCS makes with regard to how the vehicle responds and reacts. My line through turn 1 and 2 is totally different.

Anyways, I've been up all night and am quite tired, so I'm gonna post my times now. I tried to improve but the more I tried the more I just essentially went backwards. I feel a perfect lap - for me - would be 2 tenths quicker than what I ran. My best lap was hit and miss. I nailed some sections and lost time in others.

I wish I could try the time trial without ASM and TCS. Or even better yet, on an emulator! lol. Be interesting to see how much smoother and quicker emulation is, even though it's not allowed.

Without further ado, here it is:
1:13.392

Awesome time mate.
I drove with a wheel though. :P Driving Force GT, GT 5 wheel. Shifting with the "back-paddels" sucks though. The shifting stick is unusable unfortunatly, because the game doesn't let you.

Ok, I give up, I'm so done with that chicane :banghead::banghead:. And proud of my 1'13.848 (3rd place and fastest south-american/peruvian time ever at the TT, and with a controller) at my first GTP competition!! :)

And, congrats @GNR1987 for making a new world record!!! :D:D

Edit: BTW, I have a little surprise for all, will link it later before the end

Last edited:
Ok, I give up, I'm so done with that chicane :banghead::banghead:. And proud of my 1'13.848 (3rd place and fastest south-american/peruvian time ever at the TT, and with a controller) at my first GTP competition!! :)

And, congrats @GNR1987 for making a new world record!!! :D:D

Very good time of yours.
He didn't set the world record though. Except for TNCS regions he did?! Well in PAL regions someone did a 1:12.9xxx.

Alright, finally got things set up and ready for my attempt. Will send screen and eventually, a video of said attempt.

Got a last-minute improvement in. It wasn't much, since I took the turn before the chicane pretty slowly to make sure I got a good line through there, but I'm happy with it. Best ghost is still a solid 0.45 ahead, but I don't have the determination I did when I was literally half my current age. :lol:

So um...what buttons do what again? :lol:

While its cool that the PS2 can recognize the G27, its abit of a complication that I'm unable to figure out what buttons to map where.

So um...what buttons do what again? :lol:

While its cool that the PS2 can recognize the G27, its abit of a complication that I'm unable to figure out what buttons to map where.

The game still runs on the Japanese approach of Circle being the main confirmation button, while X or Triangle are the Cancel/Back ones.

You've got 92 minutes, so good luck!

The game still runs on the Japanese approach of Circle being the main confirmation button, while X or Triangle are the Cancel/Back ones.

You've got 92 minutes, so good luck!

So good news is I got the shifters on the G27 to work now (thanks to abit of messing around). Its just getting the throttle and brakes to work that's giving me a hard time now. The Key Configuration doesn't help at all.

Here it is

Snapshot_20160731_230253.jpg

Edit
: Fixed, didn't show up when I pasted the picture for some reason.

To be honest, its rather depressing that a messy lap I did years ago on a pad is somehow better then a cleaner one on a wheel.

Last edited:
CONTEST CLOSED!

You really did cut it close, huh @RACECAR? :lol:

My time will be posted soon, with the accompanying video. It would've landed me comfortably in the top half of the racers, but it's quite a lot higher up on the Guesses board. :D

So, before we announce who won there, we can cover the winner of the racing portion. By a sizeable lead, it's @GNR1987! Congrats sir, you'll have your choice of either a copy of GTPEDIA, or a year's worth of GTP Premium. :cheers:

Here it is

View attachment 572034

Edit
: Fixed, didn't show up when I pasted the picture for some reason.

To be honest, its rather depressing that a messy lap I did years ago on a pad is somehow better then a cleaner one on a wheel.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I wasn't getting anywhere with using my DFGT so I switched back to my DS2. Although the wheel gave me more control over the car, the controller gave me more lock. Also I didn't feel like setting it all up again, but maybe I should have since my DS2's left analog stick is in bad condition. Have a look lol.
IMG_20160731_211253.jpg

CONTEST CLOSED!

Well I'm massively stubborn and that eats up a lot of time :lol: By the time I realized how much time I had left, I finally just did a complete lap. Got the video of the many failed attempts as well as the successful attempts. As I said before, I'm beyond disgusted with it.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I wasn't getting anywhere with using my DFGT so I switched back to my DS2. Although the wheel gave me more control over the car, the controller gave me more lock. Also I didn't feel like setting it all up again, but maybe I should have since my DS2's left analog stick is in bad condition. Have a look lol.
View attachment 572048

Damn, and I thought my old DS2's thumb stick was destroyed :lol:

CONTEST CLOSED!

My time will be posted soon, with the accompanying video. It would've landed me comfortably in the top half of the racers, but it's quite a lot higher up on the Guesses board. :D

So, before we announce who won there, we can cover the winner of the racing portion. By a sizeable lead, it's @GNR1987! Congrats sir, you'll have your choice of either a copy of GTPEDIA, or a year's worth of GTP Premium. :cheers:
Thank you for the opportunity!! It was a lot of fun competing with all of you! The chicane brought on a lot of frustration, but it was so satisfying to get it right and watch the ghost fade away in the rear view as you charge to the finish.

GT1-3 are my favorite games in the series as they really capture the Gran Turismo vibe imo. The immersion factor and environment those games created was on point. So it was nice just competing in this competition as a way to pay homage to an era long gone and celebrate GT3's 15th anniversary.

Since I don't use GTP very often, I think I'll go with a copy of GTPEDIA.

Thanks again. :cheers:

Congrats @GNR1987. Well deserved.

Also I might add - awesome competition Kyle. It was really awesome to see and be apart of a close competition which brought so many back in front of their PS2s and copies of GT3 after such a dormant period. Almost a glimpse as to what life was like closer to the initial beginning of GTP. Thanks so much for making this happen!

I've got a small little gift for the following people:

1'13.392
- @GNR1987
1'13.830 - @Alex p.
1'13.836 - @Nicktune
1'13.848 - @girabyt3
1'13.942 - @t3hgt3ftw1n
1'13.911 - @FerrariF1GT
1'14.377 - @shadowtsunami
1'14.392 - @SVX
1'14.408 - @Doodle

You all beat my final time (which will be announced on the front page in two or three hours), so you deserve this avatar:

I-BEAT-SLIP-AVATAR.png

Okay, technically I guess @GNR1987 can't use it, since he got more than just the avatar. :P

Sorry @darand, the contest closed at midnight!

Thank you for the opportunity!! It was a lot of fun competing with all of you! The chicane brought on a lot of frustration, but it was so satisfying to get it right and watch the ghost fade away in the rear view as you charge to the finish.

GT1-3 are my favorite games in the series as they really capture the Gran Turismo vibe imo. The immersion factor and environment those games created was on point. So it was nice just competing in this competition as a way to pay homage to an era long gone and celebrate GT3's 15th anniversary.

Since I don't use GTP very often, I think I'll go with a copy of GTPEDIA.

Thanks again. :cheers:

Couldn't agree more. GT3 feels alive and immersive to this day, even if the graphics have aged a bit (though not as much as you'd guess given it's 15 years old).

I'll let @Jordan know about your pick!

SVX
Congrats @GNR1987. Well deserved.

Also I might add - awesome competition Kyle. It was really awesome to see and be apart of a close competition which brought so many back in front of their PS2s and copies of GT3 after such a dormant period. Almost a glimpse as to what life was like closer to the initial beginning of GTP. Thanks so much for making this happen!

Thanks! It really did feel like the old days, I'll say that much. I remember taking part in the Board Challenges and hearing the GT3 pre-race menu music before doing a run brought me right back to that.

Latest Posts

Back