GTP's Star in a Reasonably Priced Car (Episode 21 is up!)

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 436 comments
Two of the three videos have been posted, third one being uploaded right now and will be posted as well.

Again, thanks for the kind words.

Edit:

Third video has been posted, bringing the thread all the way up to date. New Interview is being prepared as is the new video, Both will be posted Sunday as originally planned.

Last edited:
Episode 16 - Touring Mars

Our guest today is a manager of the Long running F1 Caption Game. Please welcome, Touring Mars!

What has brought you here to GTP? How long have you been a member?

There were a couple of reasons... I joined GTP over 9 years ago, as I was heavily into GT3 at the time. I was also discovering the internet and all its treasures for the first time around then too, including internet forums, file sharing, and an abundance of free pictures of naked ladies. I only really became a habitual user of GTPlanet during the much-anticipated release of GT4, though.

How has GT5 been for you?

On the whole, it's been great. I was slightly disappointed to begin with, but I picked GT5 back up again after taking a fairly lengthy break (in order to finish FF13 - I can't multitask...) and I started to enjoy it alot more. B-Spec remains a perplexing mystery to me, but the sheer gorgeousness of the cars and tracks more than makes up for any shortcomings. While there was (and still is) much room for improvement, it's still an incredibly good game and incredibly good value, esp. given how much work has clearly gone into it. I'm also looking forward to more DLC packs!

What has been your favourite vehicle to drive at the moment?

Uggh, tough choice! But I've always been a fan of Super GT cars, and I currently love using the NSX's - they look incredible, esp. from the cockpit view, and they are ideal for just jumping into for a tight race against the other Super GT's. They also handle like they are on rails, which I like, since I feel like I can push harder in them. They also sound great too.

What about tracks? Are there any particular favorites you have?

Real circuits appeal to me most nowadays - Monza, Spa, Suzuka, Nurb, and Le Sarthe. I particularly love the 24 Hour tracks, though, and I hope there are a few more tracks given the 24 Hr treatment (like Spa, for example!).

Have you played around with photomode at all? If so, how do you like it?

I can see you are a big fan of my gallery :( I've always loved Photomode, it's good fun and quite rewarding when you get a good shot! Although some people on these forums have taken it to another level - the skill, creativity, and artistry of many galleries and competition entries never ceases to amaze me. Being able to share your artwork on forums such as GTP turns photomode from a minor add-on to a major feature of the game. I only wish that it was a bit easier - I wish we could upload images straight from the PS3 onto the web from within the game. Also, a Videomode would be awesome too ;)

What is your favourite GT game and why?

Not easy to say, since each one has been a marked improvement on the last. It's a bit like picking which of the 5 pints I had at lunchtime was the best... heck, they were all good! :dopey: I would have to say GT3 because it turned me into a GT addict, and is still the only GT game that I ever completed soup to nuts. GT3 was also special for other reasons - a PS2 and GT3 was my gift to myself for completing my Ph.D, hence why I only bought GT3 when it was already a Platinum title. Owning GT3 also aided my flathunting in London, as it was a very cool thing to be able to add to a flateshare! I ended up playing GT3 for hours with my housemates, earning myself the nickname of 'Turismo' in the process. Golding the S license at Laguna Seca remains the hardest thing I ever did in a computer game - I remember celebrating by ordering a Dominos pizza and cracking open an ice cold beer. Great memories *sniff*

Are there any other video games do you enjoy playing?

GT used to dominate my gaming life back in the GT3 days, but I also enjoy several other games, albeit mostly other racing games! I love WipEout HD/Fury, and I finished FFXIII recently. I also play F1 games and Forza 3. And I'm hoping that Santa might bring me Forza 4 - or an inflatable Kylie Minogue.

Switching over to real life, what do you drive? Is it in the game and if so, how does in compare?

Must confess, I have never owned a car, but I occassionally drive a Citroen C4. It's in GT5 - well, obviously! - but I don't drive it enough in real life, or with a steering wheel in GT5, so I can't really compare them that well. The GT5 version doesn't have sherbet lemons in the glove compartment, nor does it smell of burnt toast, which its real counterpart does occassionally.

Whats your favorite car and what is it about it that you like so much?

Always had a thing for the Ferrari 512 BB - not sure why, but I just think it's a thing of beauty and it's one of the few cars I would actually like to have one day. More realistically, I love the Alfa Romeo 8C.

What's your other hobbies?

Right now, I mostly partake in other forms of gaming - boardgames, card games, dominoes and dice games. I play guitar and write songs, plus I spend vast amounts of my time listening to music. I'm also an amateur astronomer.

Anything else you'd like to say?

Something beginning with S :sly: I've spent the majority of my gaming life playing GT, and most of my internet life on GTP, and it's been a privilege to have been able to do both for so long. Some highlights for me have been: flying to San Francisco to attend SFGTP2 at Smallhorses/itgirlxx's place; attending several UKGTPs organised by Famine; being invited to join the mod staff during the pre-GT4 expansion of GTP; being invited to the weddings of three different GTP members (OK, so two of them were marrying each other!), and actually being able to attend one of those weddings!; meeting, watching and racing against some amazing GT drivers in person, both in the UK and the US (e.g. all UK and SFGTP attendees!). Also, I'd like to say big props to Kazunori and Polyphony Digital for creating such a fantastic series, and to Jordan for creating such a great community to complement it 👍

Last edited:
Great interview TM 👍 Looking forward to the lap, I note you haven't got your excuses in early...feeling confident? ;)

Can I ask why Terronium-12's lap time on the leaderboard is wrong? You can see clearly on the video it is faster than a 1:47.866 unless I'm missing something.

Can I ask why Terronium-12's lap time on the leaderboard is wrong? You can see clearly on the video it is faster than a 1:47.866 unless I'm missing something.

I thought something was screwy about that time, was unsure about it for a while. I'll change that 👍

Episode 17 - Mike Rotch

When I bought GT2 I was searching Google for carlists and found Pupik's spec sheet listing all cars and their stats. When I searched for more of his stuff, I found some of his posts here, so I joined then and there – which was 9,5 years ago now :scared:! This placed was a great companion when I was a drop-kick at work and was bored stiff with my role in my first job out of university! I had a hiatus for a few years in the middle but could not resist coming back given it is the best forum on the net and I have the privilage of modding on it too.

A bit mixed to be honest, but mostly good. There are a few own goals – no wheel changes on standard cars, V8's that sound like old Camry's and useless A-Spec, but, it's 13 months later and I still play it, so it can't all be bad :cheers:. The addition of Spa has been a fantastic and has really breathed life into it again for me. But, even without that, it still an incredible game that is amazing fun that has so many dimensions that keep delivering enjoyment in some shape or form.

Without a doubt it's the Elise 111R. I've love light, revvy cars and the street version is just such a beautiful machine to drive, and is so responsive to minor tuning tweaks that hardly a week goes by where I don't refine one of my many versions in some shape or form. I also like my V10's; especially the M5, which is great car to just have some fun in and enjoy the engine note with.

Without a doubt Spa is the top dog for me, it's such a rewarding track to drive and has a beautiful flow. Before it came along, Grand Valley and Rome were and still are good fun. I'm a bit 'over' the Ring – partly as I view it as a hotlap track unless used with responsible drivers. Online, its a circus most of the time. I really hope future DLC brings some old tracks back – Seattle and Apricot Hill especially.

Nah, I'm a bit old n' fuddy like that :indiff:. I'm not sure why it is even in the game. I'd rather they have dedicated resources used to develop photomode to put more premium cars in or model more tracks.

GT2 without a doubt. Partly as it the 'first' GT I played so will always be the one that opened my eyes to the series and secondly because of the epic 2P games I had on it with my brother.

Yea, I am a Pro Evo Soccer fan (owned the last 6 iterations of it), and stuck loyaly to it through some pretty bad releases. Battlefield is another series I enjoy...well, when I am not getting mowed down by better players :D

Switching over to real life, what do you drive? Is it in the game and if so, how does in compare?
I don't need a car at present, so I am carfree. My first car “back when” was a Corolla Hatchback (1.3L) which was a great little runaround and was bulletproof in terms of reliability. I traded up to a C32 AMG from that for a few years and then went back to a Honda Civic 08 when the Merc was getting too much of a maintenance headche. The Civic was not Type-R unfortunately..

The C32 was and still is my favourite car. It represents the ultimate Q-car to me – and I still love that body shape C-Class. Although the C55 is faster and has better build quality in and out, it just doesn't look as good as the 32 and lacks character that a supercharger brings to the table. It was a car of many faults – like build quality and epically bad fuel consumption – but I still hanker for another one. One day...

I've gotten into cycling recently (a bit of a 'all the gear, but no idea' kind of guy most likely) and I am a closet WWI and WWII historian. Apart from that, I am also a workaholic. I do not recommend that as a hobby.

Yea, don't laugh at my lap :P! I am an unashamed automatic driver, and have been since GT2! I found the manual aspect a bit... distracting :D. Even with that, it was a lot of fun and I could feel the competitive juices rise to the surface!

Other then that, a big thanks to everybody on the forum for making it what it is. It is a great place to be and has some really good people on it that are the salt of the earth :). Lastly, thanks to RACECAR and daan for keeping this thread going 👍

[media]

Last edited:
Great Interview Brad :cheers: 👍

Looking forward to your lap too :D

:lol: I wouldn't be too worried if I were you...

Question: If you ban me, does my lap still count? :lol:

Really enjoying the quality of interviews lately 👍

Great Interview Brad :cheers: 👍

Looking forward to your lap too :D

Really enjoying the quality of interviews lately 👍

What he said :D:tup:

Good work guys, great to see this thread keeping going...what have you got lined up for the Christmas special Racecar?

What he said :D:tup:

Good work guys, great to see this thread keeping going...what have you got lined up for the Christmas special Racecar?

Believe me when I say I'm stuck on trying to figure something out for that. All I know is Episode 20 will be on a Saturday instead since that is obviously new years Eve. Other then that, not quite sure.

I've just managed to waste an entire afternoon reading this thread. :lol:

Great to see this is going strongly still (although I am aware this has been a bit of a bump!), you've certainly got quite a range of 'GTP Stars' on the list there. The interviews are really good and give a great insight into why some people came to GTP. Great work, keep it up. 👍

Racecar I think T-12's time is wrong, his lap starts at 0:14 and there isn't enough time in the video to finish the lap, by my rough timing, it's around 1:28.

Just like I did :D

Also, just make sure you save the 'best lap' / 'ghost replay' of your lap once you have done it. I.e. dont save "replay", save "best lap replay".

Best lap, got you. I may have to think of a clever way of changing gears... Think I'm going to take my C4 to the Nurb for a test :lol:

Awesome work, looking forward to the times being updated and watching those laps 👍

This is an awesome idea, I am shocked in myself it took this long to see it as it is a fantastic concept :)

Additionally, I always thought I sucked as a driver.. It is good to know I have gotten into the top 15 based on what is up there at the moment though :P

Episode 18 - Cale

Our next guest is quite likely GTP's biggest Brad Keseloski, Please welcome Cale!

I came here looking for news about GT5, when it was announced they had started working on it, but started posting trying to get help setting up my fanatec wheel (Which I still can't get to work, and customer service was so awful I gave up)

It's been great, I've been playing it more often lately, since I don't get worked up like I do in BF3. I just wish engine/exhaust noises were little better.

None off the top of my head, as my preferences change every few minutes.
However I've put the most miles on the R33 TC from DLC #1. I used it for quick cash on the old 4WD season events.

My new benchmark is Spa, it has a nice variation of corners and slight elevation changes throughout. It's a great length as well, perfect I'd say.

I play around alot, I've got more photos than I want to upload and edit.

Gran Turismo 2 is my favorite. It was my first one, and I still played it before my fat PS3 exploded. The C3 Corvette race mod type thing was my favorite car.

I enjoy the Battlefield series. I started with Bad Company, and have bought every game and add-on since.

I drive a Subaru Outback sedan. I love the features I have with my Limited trim, but hate the poor fuel consumption, especially considering it's just the 2.5L. 19mpg is tough. It's not in the game, and for the most part I'm happy that it's not taking up any space. However using the game I could modify it's appearance slightly, which would be fun since I have no plans to do so in real life.

My favorite car is the C6 Corvette Z06. It looks and sounds incredible, plus it shares the same number of cubic inches as one car in my garage... only in a lighter and more efficient package.
I bowl (ten pin bowling) alot. My bowling bag weighs more than 50lbs, and I have more balls that don't fit in my sack. I also enjoy editing photos, and I hope to have a NEX-5N by mid summer.

I hope to race with some of you yet again, it's been a year and it was great fun. I've only got a couple weeks until I'm back at school, so hopefully soon.

Last edited:
Back