GTR Revival from Ian Bell with the original GTR2/SimBin crew announced

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 704 comments

Wonder f he means the new game will have the same code or if he's referring to the same code as it was before. As in PC2?
I'm thinking the Seta 2 code he's talking about is then built off of Reiza's new achievements but then again, lot of talk and short sentences at the same time.

Fairly certain the new game won't have any Madness Engine tech since I believe EA still own all that (which they got after buying out Codemasters, who got it after buying out Slightly Mad Studios).

AMS2, it's got it of course and in my opinion has now made better use of it than any Project CARS title.

Last edited:
Pushing the boundaries by... releasing screenshots that look exactly like every other racing game on the market.

I get that there will be other classes and it's pretty much illegal to not have GT3 cars at this point, but it really feels like they are wasting an opportunity to really set themselves apart with these initial shots.

Last edited:
I agree the screenshots look but what make them stand out from any other sim? Why showcase some wild looking prototype or hyper car to get us excited? Whilst I love GT3 as much as the next person what is going to capture my attention? Certainly not another GT3 that is a few other games. It does allow for some comparison though. I say all to say this I am very much interested in seeing how this develops.

Pushing the boundaries by... releasing screenshots that look exactly like every other racing game on the market.

I get that there will be other classes and it's pretty much illegal to not have GT3 cars at this point, but it really feels like they are wasting an opportunity to really set themselves apart with these initial shots.
Keep in mind that this isn’t a marketing campaign, it’s Ian casually showing off development progress.

Keep in mind that this isn’t a marketing campaign, it’s Ian casually showing off development progress.
True, but whether it's intentional or not he is the public face so anything he posts related to the game is still marketing.

Why does the tarmac of a racing track have to look like a rally cross track, so brownish...?
(It actually happens in quite some racing games)

My wish list for this game.

Realistic driving/handling
Realistic sounds
Totally customizable HUD
Good radar, PC2 was good with “driver on your left… clear”
Ability to create liveries like GT7 or at the very least change paint and decal colours
Clean easy to navigate menus, the simpler the better
Cars... older the better, way more character, mentioned Can Am & Trans Am go for it!
Ability to share setups but no tuning/engine swaps etc like GT7
A ton of tracks, can never have too many tracks.

Extra: ability to run custom leagues within the game. It keeps track of wins, deals out points and penalties etc. You set the class and cars allowed, choose the tracks, laps, how many races etc etc etc and it does the rest.

kjb
I agree the screenshots look but what make them stand out from any other sim? Why showcase some wild looking prototype or hyper car to get us excited? Whilst I love GT3 as much as the next person what is going to capture my attention? Certainly not another GT3 that is a few other games. It does allow for some comparison though. I say all to say this I am very much interested in seeing how this develops.
I think he said in a tweet the Audi is the most polished car as of yet that's why he's showing it to us. The fact they are working with Reiza is giving me hope we gonna get a good game this time.

I think he said in a tweet the Audi is the most polished car as of yet that's why he's showing it to us. The fact they are working with Reiza is giving me hope we gonna get a good game this time.

As a minimum we should expect handling, force feed back to be as good or better then AMS2. I am using AMS2 1.5 now and there are significant improvements. Lots of very positive reviews of the 1.5 major update for AMS2.

If they were to essentially merge efforts/companies even that would be good in my opinion.

I would likely to see weekly/monthly in game preset game sponsored race events or series.
Maybe some of these could be beginner, intermediate, pro difficulty settings. Have fields field out by A.I as needed. Lots of more options for online single events and or series. With wide range of options, like if a bunch of folks want to have a live time trial session - why not. Ability to set-up and save for most part unlimited number of settings for single race events or race series and save those settings with others.

What be really cool would be to essential create your own career structure or at least mini career.
Perhaps take the special events from career in PC2 and make similar with unlimited settings and save/share with others. Imagine GT or Forza type of offline world events that you could create, save and share with others. The event settings could be used for offline or online.

I see the snake oil salesman is back. Man's a charlatan and recent history has shown we shouldn't believe a word he says.

Proof will be in the pudding, apologises will be issued and trust will start to be rebuilt. But until that point...
Does everybody say that because of PC3. From what I understood that game did not go in the direction he wanted it to go?

Does everybody say that because of PC3. From what I understood that game did not go in the direction he wanted it to go?
It's for how PCARS1 needed a whole mod to have new SOP settings for each car to make them useable, and how after claiming the best handling cars in any sim, the road cars handled like crap.

Then, in PCARS2, it was even worse on PlayStation. Couldn't easily dial in the settings that the modding community came up with, because they didn't dial in proper physics settings to begin with. Not to mention how the AI played to a completely different physics ruleset and could go off track and still maintain grip (Sonoma was the worst circuit for this).

I really tried with PCARS 1 and 2, sinking over 300 hours, they were just not finished. Crowdfunded or not, it was sold as a full priced game and we deserved better.

Then all the nonsense he said about PCARS3 ahead of the launch. Codemasters or not, he said those things in good conscience.

Crazy how you guys hold Ian Bell accountable for every single word he says then turn a blind eye when a certain Japanese guy puts "the real driving simulator" as a slogan under a boring unfinished game or turn10 with their "built from the ground up". At the end of the day, it's business and you can't expect a business owner to talk poorly about their product. I'm a business owner and we all have these ambitious big ideas about the ideal product we want to create but then reality hits. I personally enjoyed and put more hours in pc2 than gt sport or gt7. I didn't buy pc3 but I still believe in Ian Bell's vision. If anything the real charlatan here is PD and gran turismo.

I really tried with PCARS 1 and 2, sinking over 300 hours, they were just not finished.
I have around 2000 hours logged on PC1, 2 and 3. Thank goodness they aren't "finished" games otherwise I'd have even more!

All 3 require a bit more user dedication to get the best out of them. Not so polished and shiny as other titles sure, but once you get past that they have far more depth.

I'm hoping for more of this from GTRevival. Holiday 2024! That's a long time to wait. Plenty of time to save up though I suppose.

I really tried with PCARS 1 and 2, sinking over 300 hours, they were just not finished. Crowdfunded or not, it was sold as a full priced game and we deserved better.

Then all the nonsense he said about PCARS3 ahead of the launch. Codemasters or not, he said those things in good conscience.
I don’t remember paying more than $40 for either game when it was released. I paid $90 for GT7.

GT7 has got some very silly oversights. It’s an unfinished game as well. I never played PC3 but I played 1 and 2. Sadly they updated PC1 and took the fun out of the zakspeed capri. I quit playing it. That game was better on release, they messed with tires or something. I could slide that car thru corners, suddenly one day wtf happened to this car it feels nothing like it did.

I really liked gtr 1 back 20y ago.
Had a wheel back then as well, maybe a non ffb, can't remember lol.

If they can have the older cars it be really cool, like in gtr1, the ferrari 550, 575, the old Porsches biturbo, etc, the viper, the saleen s7, the mosler 900, the lister, and many more.

Maybe gt legends good old street cars too.., i dont know if they would.
But i loved that game too back then, good feel for the time, with old shelby daytona coupe, jaguar e-type, porsches 914, old corvettes and camaros of 70s, lotus elan, de tomaso pantera..

Anyhow, hope for different cars than the usual gt3s, and also classic tracks please.

Back