GTR Revival from Ian Bell with the original GTR2/SimBin crew announced

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 704 comments
This was one of the strong points of PC/PC2, and Shift 2 before those. Especially loved the historical versions.
Yes it was and even the often criticised PC3 has a multitude of tracks, many new ones in fact. Of course it's a different game this GTR Revival but I hope they continue with that approach and hopefully add to it.

Still hopeful this becomes the game of my dreams.

Problem now, is that I can't race on a flat screen anymore after having experienced PSVR 2

I had basically stopped playing GT7 but The PSVR 2 changed everything. Like everybody else who's tried it, it's ruined me for flat screen racing.

Here's hoping that Ian will include VR compatibility. If he does, I'll likely never go back to GT7

Last edited:
I signed up for the newsletter and also chose which tracks I prefer I chose Lime Rock and Mid Ohio as my preferred tracks. For options I put VIR & Utah Motorsports Campus ( Miller Motorsports Raceway) But I would also love some fictional tracks as well.

kjb
I chose Lime Rock and Mid Ohio as my preferred tracks. For options I put VIR & Utah Motorsports Campus
I don't think I've (virtually) driven around any of them so they'd be great choices. I chose those equally with the Italian track pack since they are also an interesting selection. The British tracks I'd have thought would be included anyway if late 90s touring cars are going to be a thing. Spa, Monza, not so keen on.

It'll be years before whatever project they are developing reaches the market (unless they go for an Early Access model) but having a publisher on-board is a good step.

Plaion (as Koch) used to publish the physical versions of Codemasters titles too, pre-EA. (Project CARS was Bandai Namco though)

I don't think I've (virtually) driven around any of them so they'd be great choices. I chose those equally with the Italian track pack since they are also an interesting selection. The British tracks I'd have thought would be included anyway if late 90s touring cars are going to be a thing. Spa, Monza, not so keen on.
I agree on Monza and Spa I'm kind of tired of them. I think I am starting to get real track fatigue. Because it seems like all racing games have about the same real track list

Last edited:
Still hopeful this becomes the game of my dreams.
I think most folks in here feel the same and would love a new, innovative title. I think very few want the title to fail, but a lot of folks are sceptical because of well-discussed reasons. I think the team has a good chance if @IanBell and team can find their PC1/PC2 mojo back. :)

kjb
I agree on Monza and Spa I'm kind of tired of them. I think I am starting to get real track fatigue. Because it seems like all racing games have about the same real track list
You will get modern GT3 on Spa and Monza and like it /s

Angry Devil GIF by doodles

I think most folks in here feel the same and would love a new, innovative title. I think very few want the title to fail, but a lot of folks are sceptical because of well-discussed reasons. I think the team has a good chance if @IanBell and team can find their PC1/PC2 mojo back. :)
I couldn't agree with you more.

I'm positive by nature and I'm always looking for the best and I'm erasing the Project Cars 3 debacle from my memory. Still, there were plenty of people who loved that game, even people who I respect a great deal.

After PC2, I couldn't stomach PC3. I have the strange feeling that he's going to make it up to us though.🤞

It'll be years before whatever project they are developing reaches the market (unless they go for an Early Access model)
Are you able to offer any insight into why new games take years, or methods that could speed that up dramatically for those with annual release expectations for instance? Can more staff cut times drastically if it's known a game will pay for itself, or advances in tech such as Unreal 5, or I'm sure Kunos mentioned making their new AC engine so it could be licensed to other devs?

In our comments to their track suggestions I had to suggest how nice large cities could be in Unreal 5 and the amount of opportunities that could bring track-wise. Watched a video of someone re-make LA in 20 minutes, and imagine this will happen at an industrial scale in better detail for the entire industry to licence?

If a dev like Motorsport Games uses their rFactor/KartKraft engine in Unreal 5 should it not mean near clone games with some tweaked handling per discipline could easily be created and rattled out annually?

Are you able to offer any insight into why new games take years, or methods that could speed that up dramatically for those with annual release expectations for instance? Can more staff cut times drastically if it's known a game will pay for itself, or advances in tech such as Unreal 5, or I'm sure Kunos mentioned making their new AC engine so it could be licensed to other devs?

In our comments to their track suggestions I had to suggest how nice large cities could be in Unreal 5 and the amount of opportunities that could bring track-wise. Watched a video of someone re-make LA in 20 minutes, and imagine this will happen at an industrial scale in better detail for the entire industry to licence?

If a dev like Motorsport Games uses their rFactor/KartKraft engine in Unreal 5 should it not mean near clone games with some tweaked handling per discipline could easily be created and rattled out annually?
The biggest time investment I can think of is probably asset production.

Let's take a track for example, as that's usually the biggest single asset type.

Building a track to AAA standards usually takes about a year of man-hours. That includes the onsite research, LIDAR scanning (if available), modelling, licensing, lots and lots of bugtesting etc.

Multiply that across however many circuits there are in the game, and then consider that the look and feel of the game needs to be consistent across all of them too.

Next you have the cars, which on top of the model need licensing (again), audio, physics, setup modifiers, tyre wear, hybrid/electric simulation (if required), cameras, damage, liveries, AI training on every track and much more.

From what I read about other games, a single car at AAA quality takes about 2-3 months of man-hours, so again multiply that by however many cars are in the game.

On top of all this there's all the things to make a game an actual "game" (and not just a bunch of assets you do hotlaps with), like player progression, career, multiplayer, time trial, AI, user interfaces for all of that, QA to ensure it all works etc.

Keep in mind that Straight4 is essentially working from scratch.

Even Motorsport Games (which has its fair share of problems as we've all read about) has previous titles to pull assets, code and experience from, which is why they can spool up development or an engine shift a little quicker.

Once you've got a finished product, it's easier to iterate on it (look at F1 games), but getting there is the hard part. Apparently F1 Manager 22 took 4 years to make, but they've now laid the foundations for 23, 24, 25 etc.

Last edited:
I suppose in their favour they have gathered a team who have been there done that before, in some cases many times. So that'll help I should think.

There's the licensing of course, but would they have assets from previous titles they could call on to adapt to their new engine? Or are they out of reach now?

I suppose Ian couldn't pull the same trick twice?

For those wondering: Kotaku article detailing the time when a YT streamer was streaming PC2 at launch date and no other than Ian Bell himself popped onto the stream (not having slept for three days according to himself) for a multi-hour conversation/rant/monologue. It was one of the most bizarre and fascinating events of the time and Ian, who was never shy of going into any topic/audience, hostile or not (see some old RaceDepartment threads if you want to know what I mean), talked about how the development of Shift/Shift 2 by SMS for EA ended with EA trying to screw SMS, but Ian screwing them back by making sure they could not claim ownership of the technology the company built for EA.

And I assume that technically they are working from scratch and they certainly can't copy IP that now belongs to EA, but are they really starting from zero? They've got the core handling/physics folks from SMS as well as some other folks, and they also have good relationships/connections, and also assuming folks like that keep records/files/code in their private archives?

Last edited:
Nice, how about a console port of AMS2 while we wait for this spiritual return to the glory days.
With Reiza Studios CEO Renato Simioni promising an update on “our portfolio of games” in the coming days, we can only hope. :)

I think the partnership might be a good thing for both developers.
Reiza will eventually have access to a brand new engine to eventually replace the slightly ageing Madness one they are using now.
Straight 4 could have more manpower in creating their new game. Extra Car and track modellers will certainly help reduce production time. Plus they may be able to use any licensing that Reiza has use of now (which might include some of the SMS stuff).

From my perspective. Would prefer more of a merger. I only have time to really devote to one race sim and maybe very casual play on others.
I realize there are mod makers out there bringing some of PC2 stuff to AMS2. I have not had the time to spend getting into that. If AMS2 had all that it has and all that PC2 had that would quite the game.

I would like to see a game where you could create endless offline race events or series with a very wide range of options. Where you could share with others or use for online events, one offs or online series.

Weekly time trials sponsored by the game are okay. What would be better would be weekly in game sponsored online races. Perhaps imagine if the PC2 carrier mode could be a mix of online players and A.I. Not only that imagine if each race in career mode could have random weather, random start times, race length etc. Within certain paremeters.

Last edited:
For those who have not subscribed to the Straight4 newsletter here's a link below to an interview with Mr Bell about his new project.

Sounds good. He's certainly talking the talk as usual but there seems to be some substance behind the words. A 60+ strong team is a positive with the game maybe being ready a bit sooner than predicted.

I hope they will try really to have great sound for all cars,,in cockpit and in replays.
And good 3d sound of the ai cars while you're driving, like in ac.
Not just some like in pc2, he talks graphics and ue5 but not of sounds.

To me it's more important than graphics in a sim.

Imagine Murray Walker giving full commentary over classic touring cars
That'd be great. Although you'd need to somehow program the voice AI to make occasional mistakes. Got to have classic Murrayisms. 🙂

he talks graphics and ue5 but not of sounds.
For talk of the sounds you need...

And some early engine and vehicle sounds.

Imagine Murray Walker giving full commentary over classic touring cars and Mike Joy & Darrell Waltrip with stock cars.
I'd much rather have Bob Jenkins and Benny Parsons on the stock car side, but that's just the late 1990s in me talking. Also period-correct TV graphics for replays because not like that's a hard thing to implement either... okay i'll stop now

That'd be great. Although you'd need to somehow program the voice AI to make occasional mistakes. Got to have classic Murrayisms. 🙂

For talk of the sounds you need...

And some early engine and vehicle sounds.
Thanks for that, it's pretty good, the engine sound could still be better, especially on off-throttle.
Needs also good exhaust sound for replays on road side cam.

Could be the sample though, and that i listened thru my cellphone speaker.

Cross fingers..

Edit: the audio director interview, he can't name another sim game that has had the best audio up until now and just says our next game is..lol.
Could be humble enough to mention another than their own, i dont know...

Last edited:
Back