Hard Drive Space - How much will be needed for GT6?

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 6' started by GGGMotorsport, Nov 26, 2013.

1. GGGMotorsport

GGGMotorsport

Hello
    Im planning on getting GT6 (via gamestop) but will also need to buy a PS3. As this will be the only game I play on the PS, will a 12GB hard drive be large enough? Thanks in advance

2. jsjakesaid

jsjakesaid

no, definatley not enough. I also think it's a dupe thread though, as im sure it was asked and answered before

3. Streeto

Streeto

Didn't realise you could get a 12GB PS3, surely that's strange since a lot of games end up using more than that with updates on top.

Try get a 40GB just to be safe.

Edit: Ok it's the super slims that are 12GB, weird.

Go for a normal slim or even a fatty with a bigger HDD, will be cheaper too.

4. FLIGHT50

FLIGHT50

Not sure but I wouldn't mind if I used 20+ gigs on a-spec cars and tracks. The digital download is said the be 15g and after it uncompresses, its over 20g

PsuPepperoni likes this.
  5. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Premium

Ferrari458Italia likes this.
  6. GT-Roadie

GT-Roadie Premium

There will be coming future updates like the track editor, patches, new cars and tracks per DLC. So I would say no!

7. Tired Tyres

Tired Tyres

On the UK PSN, the download version is 14.3 GB. The text description, which must be for the disc version for obvious reasons, says minimum HD requirement 256 MB recommended amount 20GB.

8. steve30x

steve30x

Yes there is a 12GB Ps3. I bought one two weeks ago. Its not a HDD its 12GB Flash storage. I put a 160GB SSD that I wasn't using into the PS3

Also the Superslim comes in a 500GB model as well as 12GB model

Lord Protector likes this.
  9. Azure Flare

Azure Flare (Banned)

My PS3 has a 320 GB HDD (The old one crapped-out on me.), I've got enough.

wejhvabewjty likes this.
  10. SVT Cobra GT

SVT Cobra GT

I retired my old 60GB last year and I've had a new slim 320GB since. I've got 220GB of free space left.

My console is ready.

SnakeOfBacon and BobbyBRAKEaNek like this.
  11. Freeman_Cruz

Freeman_Cruz

It's cheaper than you buy the 12GB PS3 model and a hard disk separately.

You can change the PS3's internal hard drive with ease whenever it is 2.5 "(typical of the notebook).

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/362

I recommend you buy one of 7,200 rpm which will reduce the load times of the game.

BobbyBRAKEaNek likes this.
  12. Ferrari458Italia

Ferrari458Italia Premium

30 gigs!!!!! daaaaaamn! if it means for faster loading I'm cool with that though. heck I'll give them all 120gigs of my PS3 for that matter :p

13. GT5Redsucker23

GT5Redsucker23

From what I've read the download size for GT6 is 15 GB.

14. m0rris

m0rris

GT6 better be TEH BUSINESS, sitting here with a 80gb PS3 GT5 will have to go as soon as I get GT6. A PS3 with a 12gb hard drive sounds like total madness...

15. steve30x

steve30x

There is no HDD in the 12GB Ps3. Its 12GB of flash storage. I know because I bought a 12GB PS3.

16. Bluntified

Bluntified

That's only the download file, you still need to uncompress/install it. Not to mention that "big" day one patch.

17. jsjakesaid

jsjakesaid

Are we going to start saying Storage device instead? I think Hard disk is still a term, even though not correct, especially when discussing... it's like FDD it got stuck even after it wasn't floppy LOL

18. iainoflo85

iainoflo85

Flash means no hard drive of any kind and storage device is a bit of a mouthful.

There's enough abbreviations for storage devices as it is, there's HDD, SSD, SD and so on.

I have one of these as well and I upgraded the hard drive, worked out a lot cheaper than buying a 320GB Slim.

As for the OP, the download is about 15GB and you still need 30GB for installation, but 20GB in the long term is recommended, due to patches/DLC.

19. Cosbuster

Cosbuster

I can confirm that it needs somewhere between 1MB and 1TB.

GranTurismo916 and iainoflo85 like this.
  20. ECGadget

ECGadget

Well, I've swapped my HDD out for a 500GB one. I cannot believe I am still on my first PS3...
    I approximate about 45Gb (after patches and DLC)

21. steve30x

steve30x

I said flash storage not storage device. I could have said 12GB memory but that would be incorrect. Also its correct to Flash storage because a Hard Disk Drive is completely different to Flash storage.

22. JohnScoonsBeard

JohnScoonsBeard

Don't forget if you take lots of photos to export and save lots of replays you'll need quite a bit more space. I'm going through deleting some of the less interesting replays and photos I have in GT5 to free up some space. I have 34gb free and am targeting 50 gb free by the end of bext week. Some free PSN+ downloaded games will have to go as I guess I can download them again if I want to (not that I ever played them).

23. jsjakesaid

jsjakesaid

sorry misunderstood you for ssd LOL my apologies to you kind sir

steve30x likes this.
  24. Dean

Dean

In my opinion, 45 GB seems like quite a bit too much for at least the first Spec (if there's more than one Spec). I expect 20-25 GB should be enough, maybe not in the long run, but for now.

25. iainoflo85

iainoflo85

Agreed that estimate is 20GB too much.

26. nowcontrol

nowcontrol

I bought a 12gb super-slim [£120] and a new 1tb samsung M8 [£58] to go in it, and together it was a lot cheaper than the 500gb model costs.

Plenty enough room for GT5 and GT6. :D

27. Callum B

Callum B

I just cleared 50gb of memory on my console in preparation for the inevitable massive download that will come on release. xD

Lord Protector likes this.
  28. Lord Protector

Lord Protector

I'd go with 12gb super slim and 320gb SSHD that's the best you can get for not very high price.

Yes, SSHD not SSD.

29. dr_slump

dr_slump Premium

Didn't sound too bad ...as soon as I saw this: http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.aspx?itemid=1470503488&partno=MQ01ABF032H&rid=1
    :crazy:

(I know, I know, you can get it at a lower price.)

EDIT: But so far the cheapest offer I've seen was around 100$. I saw a ST1000LM014 1TB SSHD from Seagate for 90$ and a ST500LM000 500GB for 80$ though...
    If you're talking about the old Momentus XT: That thing is out of stock in pretty much all stores.

EDIT2: Maybe it's just me, but I somehow can never find any low priced toshiba drives in the retail market.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013