Has PD ever seen a real rally race?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Odnomre
  • 96 comments
  • 8,542 views
Is there any point to point rally in GT6? Any stages with pace notes?

GT5 had it.


It was meant to be an option for Course Maker in GT5, but it was cut due to memory issues (the same with head/motion tracking)

I really loved rally in GT3 & GT4, but there is something in GT5 & GT6's rally that I dont like and I dont know what it is!

How about its complete neglect? :grumpy:
 
The HUGE problem with rally races is that there is a Traction Control enabled by default whenever you leave the track and, in case of drit races, everytime you are on gravel. This forced TC bogs down engine in every corner. Total nonsence and just crazy overall.

Even in first gear rpms drop and you just can do anything except wait until the TC efect will go away...
 
YZF
The HUGE problem with rally races is that there is a Traction Control enabled by default whenever you leave the track and, in case of drit races, everytime you are on gravel. This forced TC bogs down engine in every corner. Total nonsence and just crazy overall.

Even in first gear rpms drop and you just can do anything except wait until the TC efect will go away...

True. The majority of steering in rallying is done by applying power to the wheels at a certain point, the loss of traction is a requirement.
 
It is a shame that rally has been neglected in GT5 and 6. That rally event in 6 was strange, having 12 cars on a very narrow rally stage. I wish they'd implement rallying more effectively, since in my opinion Eiger K (I think it's K... the 400 mile long Eiger track. :p) is a brilliant track and they should really make use of it more than they do.

That being said, rallying feels funny in GT6 compared to what I remember from 4 so maybe the fact they've kept it to a minimum is a good thing :p
 
I don't actually know why rallying was implemented in the first place. It's nothing to do with GT and there are games that cater just for that and do it a load better.
 
It seems like rally in GT6 is one step backwards from GT5.

Rally has been in GT since GT2 so it is a little surprising they can't get it right. They also went through the effort of making many premium rally cars.
 
To be honest when i first tried a rally race here in gt6 i said to myself: wow this is finally a proper rally sim after 6 gran turismo games.... meh maybe that's me, never been a huge fan of rally so whenever i've fun driving a rally car in gran turismo for me it's ok.

Driving a rally car in Gran Turismo 5 wasn't funny at all... but that's just me.
 
I don't actually know why rallying was implemented in the first place. It's nothing to do with GT and there are games that cater just for that and do it a load better.

What do you mean exactly, because based on the concept of GT as a game, it falls right in line.
 
Rally racing is against the clock, not racing other cars on track to cross the line first.
To be honest when i first tried a rally race here in gt6 i said to myself: wow this is finally a proper rally sim after 6 gran turismo games.

This is not a "proper" rally race.
 
love this rally video...



what's the best rally game on ps3? sega rally on sega saturn was better than gt's version of rally.
 
What do you mean exactly, because based on the concept of GT as a game, it falls right in line.

I don't see how it does. Rally is purely stage time trial based, not multi car racing on a track. Plus at what point is rallying associated with GT racing? WRC and GT are too different series altogether, as is NASCAR and F1.
 
love this rally video...



what's the best rally game on ps3? sega rally on sega saturn was better than gt's version of rally.


83, that would be the Manta 400? Made a fair few mistakes on that stage. Not that I could do any better though!
 
83, that would be the Manta 400? Made a fair few mistakes on that stage. Not that I could do any better though!

remember, he had a puncture after the "dear god" moment. you can see it shuttering the car later on. i'm guessing it was the front left based on car behavior.
 
The AI in rally drive like they are on tarmac.
Slow down and turn in.

Hence why it was very easy to get gold for the rally tests in GT2, you just go flying around the corner and make up huge time.
 
Last edited:
I don't actually know why rallying was implemented in the first place. It's nothing to do with GT and there are games that cater just for that and do it a load better.

Ya'know, I thought GT's purpose was to get as many racing disciplines into one game as possible.

Irregardless I DO agree that it needs to be better done than it is right now, I doubt it'll be improved any in an update but we can hope I guess.
 
I don't see how it does. Rally is purely stage time trial based, not multi car racing on a track. Plus at what point is rallying associated with GT racing? WRC and GT are too different series altogether, as is NASCAR and F1.

It doesn't have to be multi car track racing, it's still a form of racing you have to get a better stage time than your opponents, just like hill climbing you need a better overall time compared to others in your class to win. Sounds like racing to me.

Also WRC and GT or F1 or NASCAR or Endurance LMP racing aren't the same and don't have to be. GT is just a name not a function of what the game should only be. It's a culmination of cars and applications of their use and at this point a title that has a legacy with it that may have changed somewhat from the first iteration.

GT was never solely about the Italian phrase, and when the concept was told never should have been solely thought as such.
 
remember, he had a puncture after the "dear god" moment. you can see it shuttering the car later on. i'm guessing it was the front left based on car behavior.

It was letting the revs fall out of the power band that I noticed, had the car labouring. Still, did really well keeping it going forward with a flat.
 
It doesn't have to be multi car track racing, it's still a form of racing you have to get a better stage time than your opponents, just like hill climbing you need a better overall time compared to others in your class to win. Sounds like racing to me.

Also WRC and GT or F1 or NASCAR or Endurance LMP racing aren't the same and don't have to be. GT is just a name not a function of what the game should only be. It's a culmination of cars and applications of their use and at this point a title that has a legacy with it that may have changed somewhat from the first iteration.

GT was never solely about the Italian phrase, and when the concept was told never should have been solely thought as such.

Rally is too unique to be in the game I think. It's the only discipline I can think of that relies on losing traction to be competitive. You can argue that NASCAR, F1, GT, LMP & Touring Car Racing are all about speed but also as much grip as possible, through rubber adhesion and aerodynamic downforce. Therefore the two disciplines have totally different physics and requirements. I believe that is where PD are going wrong, they have too much physical modeling to do and they've to do it for 1200 cars! In this case I'm taking the 'Jack of all trades is a master of none' mantra.
 
Rally is too unique to be in the game I think. It's the only discipline I can think of that relies on losing traction to be competitive. You can argue that NASCAR, F1, GT, LMP & Touring Car Racing are all about speed but also as much grip as possible, through rubber adhesion and aerodynamic downforce. Therefore the two disciplines have totally different physics and requirements. I believe that is where PD are going wrong, they have too much physical modeling to do and they've to do it for 1200 cars! In this case I'm taking the 'Jack of all trades is a master of none' mantra.

Well some may agree and others would just rack it up as subjective banter. Also there is another form of competition that requires losing traction that the game uses too...it's called drifting. Also you just brought in the aspect of maintaining grip, I did see you speak about early but as far as I'm saying it's still exploring car cultures and speed and the enthusiasm involved with it. I don't think they have too much to do as far as physical modeling they could easily cut down on the copy paste BS they do with about 200 of those cars
 
Dirt 1 or WRC3 in my opionion.
I don't get how PD can make a hillclimb (goodwood) properly as a time attack but can't have an all (or mostly) dirt rally stage thats timed in a similar way.

thanks. might have to check those out.
 
Well some may agree and others would just rack it up as subjective banter.

I agree with that but I'd prefer it left out of the game rather than only being able to offer a weakened part of the game.

Also there is another form of competition that requires losing traction that the game uses too...it's called drifting.
It's actually a recognised sport that has a governing body? I thought it was a 'street' sport. It doesn't really interest me so I didn't know it graduated to a real sport.

I don't think they have too much to do as far as physical modeling they could easily cut down on the copy paste BS they do with about 200 of those cars

Exactly, those BS copy paste cars should go (vast majority in my eyes) and concentrate on the rest.
 
I agree with that but I'd prefer it left out of the game rather than only being able to offer a weakened part of the game.

That's fine, but I would say there is plenty in the game that weak and needs revising.

It's actually a recognised sport that has a governing body? I thought it was a 'street' sport. It doesn't really interest me so I didn't know it graduated to a real sport.

That's quite rude, and yes it has a set of rules and falls under the governing of D1GP and has running's in several countries. I'm not a big fan of the series, I like the craftsmanship and engineering that goes into these top end professional race/drift cars. And it's been a sport for a long time now, since the late 90s. Have you never seen the manufacture factory teams involved?

Exactly, those BS copy paste cars should go (vast majority in my eyes) and concentrate on the rest.

Agreed.
 
what's the best rally game on ps3? sega rally on sega saturn was better than gt's version of rally.
Objective... the the official WRC games are the last with proper rally structure (with permanent damage and the service park), but the DiRT car list is second to none, particularly in D3. Cars from the 60s, 70s, 80s (including Group B), 90s Group A machines and up to modern WRC (no WRC Citroen DS3 mind). Then there's the Pikes Peak machines, rallycross SuperCars and the short-course stadium trucks - everyone's covered.
 
The way I see games is like motorbikes.

You can never find a bike that is perfect at everything. It will always have at least one issue.

A light bike is easy to ride, small, but low on power.
A powerful bike will have plenty of go, but it may be hard to turn, very heavy.
And a bike in the middle will be a jack of all trades, master of none.

So I do what my dad has done with his motorbikes, which is over a period of time buy a bike for each of his needs. This is what I do with games. Gran Turismo can't simulate everything perfectly or have all the content in the world in it. So I got Richard Burns Rally for my rallying, and a selection of other games to suit me. GT being one of them, that is my enjoyment of driving, appreciating visual detail, and a decent range of cars to do it in. Everyone would be happy if they simply realized that no game will do everything.
 
Objective... the the official WRC games are the last with proper rally structure (with permanent damage and the service park), but the DiRT car list is second to none, particularly in D3. Cars from the 60s, 70s, 80s (including Group B), 90s Group A machines and up to modern WRC (no WRC Citroen DS3 mind). Then there's the Pikes Peak machines, rallycross SuperCars and the short-course stadium trucks - everyone's covered.

I have DiRT 3. Played it once, never turned it back on. I'm sure i'll get hated for this but as soon as the "Colin McRae Rally" moniker was dropped, the franchise turned for the worst.
 
That's fine, but I would say there is plenty in the game that weak and needs revising.

What area's (besides sounds) would you like to see get attention/improvements to?


That's quite rude, and yes it has a set of rules and falls under the governing of D1GP and has running's in several countries. I'm not a big fan of the series, I like the craftsmanship and engineering that goes into these top end professional race/drift cars. And it's been a sport for a long time now, since the late 90s. Have you never seen the manufacture factory teams involved?

Rude, how? I don't have a clue about drifting, really I thought it was something people did on street strips or carparks. I'd no idea it was a sport. I'm old school motor sports. Group B, Group C, Turbo F1 etc. Modern stuff is too rules and money focused in its objectives for me. I stopped watching motor sports end of '94. I just followed F1 untill Schumacher and co put Ferrari back on top.
 
Back