Hating the graphics of GT6

• Thread starter TomBrady
  • 408 comments
astronomy!

I don't think that astronomy thing is all that complicated, looks like a big textured sphere that accurately rotates by a timer. Everything more would be well... stupid.

But then of course if blur is good or bad thing is a very, very subjective thing :)

And that why it would be nice to have a button like in PC games.

I´m sorry but people seem to forget about this, back in the day when gt2 was launched for the ps1,it had the same graphics as gt1, and still gt2 was a huge success...

Anyway, I think it's good that someone brought the question about blurring/anti-aliasing up. I thought most people knew after the GT6 demo that GT6 would have more blur..?
[...]
But then of course if blur is good or bad thing is a very, very subjective thing :)

Excellent point and info Toffe. Thank you.

Hearing people whine in general isn't exactly a fairground ride bro.

;)
I'm confused about why people who don't want to hear others complain about something, and don't wish to discuss those complaints, continually click on threads to read with subject headings that clearly inform you from the outset that the thread will in fact contain complaints.

I don't think Tombrody could've been any more clear in the subject title than to use the word "hating" to let you know what you'd find in this thread. :lol:

It's not like he lured you into this thread under false pretenses of joyous splendid talk & then fire bombed you with a litany of unexpected cantankerous complaints. :sly:

Edit: fixed correctly spelled typo

Last edited:
I noticed this way back in July with the demo, I haven't played GT6 yet but I remember having the same issues plus god awful aliasing with the demo. However, looking at the gameplay videos and stuff you can easily tell that the game is not as crisp and it's too dark, it seems like they boosted the deep color output, colors look more saturated but not vibrant.

I don't understand, this new lightning engine is anything but realistic, it seems that they wanted to go the Forza route but it doesn't really suit GT.

I´m sorry but people seem to forget about this, back in the day when gt2 was launched for the ps1,it had the same graphics as gt1, and still gt2 was a huge success...

Actually GT2 felt slower and the reflections were a bit overdone. At least in my opinion. ^^

I don't think that astronomy thing is all that complicated, looks like a big textured sphere that accurately rotates by a timer. Everything more would be well... stupid.
Well, as someone who opens up my Stellarium app just for fun sometimes... I know it's not a huge advancement in technology to accurately model the sky. But having that in gt6 I think was a nice touch.

really ? i dont have the game yet but it seems that the game looks better than GT5. I always thought GT5 were too bright and that PD fixed this in GT6 by making it darker.

I find the graphics in 720p to be a lot worse than GT5's 720p. It seems that there is weird blurring, low res textures and glitchy shadows in the environments. I played in 1080p and these issues were resolved but not fully. I find it weird that 720p has issues with environmental shadows especially for day-night cycle stages, but in 1080p they seem better. One thing I hate about the 1080p mode is that the frame rate issues are worse than in GT5. In 720p, the frame rates are smooth at the expense of worse graphics.

I find the graphics in 720p to be a lot worse than GT5's 720p. It seems that there is weird blurring, low res textures and glitchy shadows in the environments. I played in 1080p and these issues were resolved but not fully. I find it weird that 720p has issues with environmental shadows especially for day-night cycle stages, but in 1080p they seem better. One thing I hate about the 1080p mode is that the frame rate issues are worse than in GT5. In 720p, the frame rates are smooth at the expense of worse graphics.

So it IS GT6 demo all over again, god damn PD.

I noticed this way back in July with the demo, I haven't played GT6 yet but I remember having the same issues plus god awful aliasing with the demo. However, looking at the gameplay videos and stuff you can easily tell that the game is not as crisp and it's too dark, it seems like they boosted the deep color output, colors look more saturated but not vibrant.

I don't understand, this new lightning engine is anything but realistic, it seems that they wanted to go the Forza route but it doesn't really suit GT.

I actually think this is it. Just played a bit of forza 4, and I can see how it seams as though GT6 was attempting to look more like it. Both in colors, and in the motion blur. Thing is, I think GT5 was better looking then forza 4. All they needed to do was fix a few textures on some of the tracks, fix the menu and race layouts, get the standards converted to premiums(all of them or leave them out of the game), and last was fix the audio (and presentation a bit). Then add a few new cars and tracks and this game would have been a masterpiece IMO.

Hopefully more comparison videos come on youtube with a 1440p option. Would be nice to see gameplay and not replays, as I am curious if GT6 has a different type of blur for gameplay(not motion, just blurry) then it does for replays

really ? i dont have the game yet but it seems that the game looks better than GT5. I always thought GT5 were too bright and that PD fixed this in GT6 by making it darker.
I always thought the saturation or colour balance or something was a bit off in GT5, with a kind of cartoonly garish brightness of colour kind of thing going on, if that makes any sense. I suppose I'm saying I kind of thought GT5 looked a bit loud.
But then I've thought that about most console video games, and always chalked it up to whatever television set & the console. Or whatever.
Also, I regularly would play GT5 with the movie setting (or whatever setting) on the television set and never noticed a problem... and my spouse would often come & find me playing and "correct it" by putting the colour setting to "video game" in an attempt to help me I guess... and honestly, I never though that was a particular improvement, though he seemed to think so. It wasn't a make or break difference to me - I saw pros & cons to each setting anyway... so I just always have played at whatever he had the tv set to.
So who knows, maybe I'll like the GT6 look better from what you're saying.

Anyone bothered using the filters in the menus?

like sharpening or flicker reduction?

I have no problem with the visuals (i like them better actually) but that might help with the blur thing?

Anyone bothered using the filters in the menus?

like sharpening or flicker reduction?

I have no problem with the visuals (i like them better actually) but that might help with the blur thing?
It's been mentioned a few times earlier in the thread. Just fyi (not judging).

I'm just going to say, GT5 used a QAA filter in 1080p mode (1280x1080) and GT6 uses MLAA in 1080p mode (1440x1080) and MLAA is blurry at around 720p and below but at a resolution of 1440x1080, I cannot fathom how you're seeing any blurriness. I'll also say GT6 with MLAA and the 1440x1080 has far less aliasing in any game I've seen this gen. It's insanely clean and pretty looking for my TV.

So it's a "either get used to the blurry graphics or get used to the crappy framerate" kind of deal, you have no choice and you'll be ****ed anyway so choose the one that hurts less.

Forza 4 to be honest didn't look realistic but it was a beautiful game, GT5 had alright graphics overall and it looked more realistic than FM4 so I never quite understood why PD decided to improve the graphics engine.

It just looks so old and bland, somebody pointed out GTA IV's horrible filter on the PS3, that's exactly how it looks, soft, oversaturated, too dark and with very unstable framerate.

I'm glad i'm not the only person to notice the overall softness(although not many us do apparently). I literally felt like the game was unplayable to me.

The best setting I could come up with was to change the PS3's resolution to output 720p, and using the in-game flicker reduction setting. There may be more jaggies like this, but (for me) they appear as clearer jaggies.

I wasn't talking about the TV menu but the menus in GT6...I have a HDTV

Yes i know, Sharpen & Flicker reduction in GT settings is for SDTVs only!

Edit, I do apologise, Digital Foundry said it was for SDTVs but after further investigation it appears it changes the AA, one uses a different type off AA and one turns AA off (which would help with framerate) not sure which is which though, at work now so gotta get off my phone

Last edited:
I don't hate GT6 graphics but I think they aren't as sharp as in GT5, there's too much AA in my opinion and some noticeable artifacts, specially at the white lines that are limiting the track.

Edit, I do apologise, Digital Foundry said it was for SDTVs but after further investigation it appears it changes the AA, one uses a different type off AA and one turns AA off (which would help with framerate) not sure which is which though, at work now so gotta get off my phone

Normal has the regular AA, plus a temporal AA that offsets each pixel on an alternate basis - you will see a flickering on lines when you pause.

Flicker reduction setting turns this temporal AA off

Sharpen I think turns off all of the above I think, or maybe turns off the regular AA but leaves the temporal, not sure

Polyphony have delivered a great game with natural - not blurry - lighting. From car headlamps to reflections this game looks great on even my modest setup. I saw past GT5's issues, I could easily see the whole picture, and this is better. This 6th Gran Turismo game is justified on PS3, even at this early stage, and I look forwards to them updating and tweaking it. I really cannot understand why people want to nitpick rather than tear up some rubber?
I could understand if there was some other game developer offering something better on PS3 or 360, but their isn't. And without fanboyism nothing next gen has me feeling unsatisfied with my PS3 at the moment. Forza 5? I don't think so.

I was playing around the filter settings and found that 720p with sharpening works best for me. Normal seems blurry and flicker reduction don't seem any better.

As for 1080p, flicker reduction is the best. Normal has some weird blurring and sharpen don't seem to do much as 1080p is already kind of sharp and pristine. I just wished the frame rate in 1080p was stable though...

What does the embargo have to do with anything? The reviews have been great so far. Hell, even Polygon gave it a 9!!! (Polygon is funded directly by microsoft, and is notorious for giving PS exclusives insanely unfair and biased reviews. They gave the Last of Us a 7.5 if you'll believe it)

Mentioning the embargo implies that they didn't want people to see all the bad reviews, but GT6 is getting great reviews so I dont' see your point.
That's the point. If GT6 has stuff that severely compromise gameplay experience like you know.. frame rate issues, AI issues, lack of options (no way to select AI cars and you have 1200 cars) , no livery editor, overuse of blur, almost no sound improvement, no shuffle racing etc etc...you can't give a 9. No way. Expecially because of frame rate issues the most severe and concerning problem.

There is so much blur it's ridiculous. I normally wouldn't complain about graphics, but I'm really having trouble adjusting to GT6. It looks horrible in my opinion. It's one of the blurriest games I've ever seen.

I can't stand the fact that GT5 looks so much better than this. I don't understand why they would change the rendering engine just to make it look worse. I could care less if the lighting looks better or whatever.

I'd rather them have GT4 graphics rendered at full 1080p than this blurry mess. Seriously, even Vice City on my PC is easier to look at than this. So disappointed

I always loved GT5's graphics because they are crisp, clear, and detailed. What the hell happened?

Way to much blur, im on 52 inch sony bravia , and i can tell you that the graphics arent that crisp as gt5!
And although gt5 graphics were fine, gt6 is not.
Not bad that its undriveble, but a little childish though. to much of everything, saturation, blur ....
And the physics???
Try a stock lambo gt 2 or 3 and than compare it to the fxx.
Ive drivin enough trackdays and its just ridicilous that a (std set up) lambo gt race car cant even take a wide corner with 80 km/ph.
maybe its the controller input ( mines on -2 ) and still way to much oversteer with only 2 mm input on my controller.

I just starting playing the game an hour ago and I find It almost unplayable.
Everything looks terrible!
How do you get motion blur in a 100hp Honda????
The frames keep skipping!!!
I feel like I'm playing a PS2 game.
I do hope something gets fixed, otherwise I do not see the reason in paying for this garbage.

Edit, I do apologise, Digital Foundry said it was for SDTVs but after further investigation it appears it changes the AA...
No apology needed - glad you found that info as I was beginning to doubt myself.

...Sharpen I think turns off all of the above I think, or maybe turns off the regular AA but leaves the temporal, not sure
I think this is the one - sorry I couldn't explain it more clearly yesterday.

Way to much blur, im on 52 inch sony bravia , and i can tell you that the graphics arent that crisp as gt5!
Not bad that its undriveble, but a little childish though. to much of everything, saturation, blur ....
And the physics???
Ive drivin enough trackdays and its just ridicilous that a (std set up) lambo gt race car cant even take a wide corner with 80 km/ph.
maybe its the controller input ( mines on -2 ) and still way to much oversteer with only 2 mm input on my controller.

I strongly agree with you man!

And the physics???
About those physics; from my experience with GT5 they were just chosen at random for a lot of cars, I remember the Ferrari F40 being a real dog to drive (with a controller back then), and having to spend hours tuning the damn thing just to make it drivable...

Back