Hating the graphics of GT6

• Thread starter TomBrady
  • 408 comments
Looking at the original replies in this thread makes me ashamed of GTPlanet.

@TomBrady I agree with you on the graphics, and I'm finding the frame rate issues especially unacceptable when the lighting is obviously in transition from day to night and the sun is filtering through the tress at the top of Mount Panorama - and that's with a single car on the track and in bumper cam.

Seems like in order to just keep adding stuff, and push the boundaries they have sacrificed stability. I'd much rather a stable game with slightly scaled back graphics.

Maybe this will help the discussion?

I find the graphics darker in general, but basically a lot of the circuits like the Madrid one here look exactly the same but they were brighter before.

Looking at the original replies in this thread makes me ashamed of GTPlanet.

@TomBrady I agree with you on the graphics, and I'm finding the frame rate issues especially unacceptable when the lighting is obviously in transition from day to night and the sun is filtering through the tress at the top of Mount Panorama - and that's with a single car on the track and in bumper cam.

Seems like in order to just keep adding stuff, and push the boundaries they have sacrificed stability. I'd much rather a stable game with slightly scaled back graphics.
Embargo worked like a charm. They got the money people got in the......
You-Stay-Classy-San-Diego-Anchorman.gif

Maybe this will help the discussion?

I find the graphics darker in general, but basically a lot of the circuits like the Madrid one here look exactly the same but they were brighter before.

Woah, noticeable frame drops even on a 30fps youtube video. Impressed. :scared:

I don't notice the blur issue either TomBrady, that's why I asked, not to attack you. But to me GT6 is a step up graphically to GT5. I do notice blur on the Sides of tracks like Rails and the crowd but I guess that's to simulate speed.

GT6 actually looks worse than GT5. Wery strange things going on Graphics wise. Lacks the clear crisp off
GT5 and is generally darker and not so Sharp. Thats on my 50 samsung plasma 1080p.

Seriously, I can't understand how people can say something like this. The first thing everyone said (including me) when they say GT6 running on my tv set is 'damn, looks much better'.

One thing I was finding was that because I was driving in the interior view all the time, a lot of cars seem to have the tinted windows modelled, so in lower light it was almost undrivable, it was so dark. Switching to bumper cam brightens things up considerably.

One thing I was finding was that because I was driving in the interior view all the time, a lot of cars seem to have the tinted windows modelled, so in lower light it was almost undrivable, it was so dark. Switching to bumper cam brightens things up considerably.
I agree, I found myself driving mainly in bumper view for this very reason.

There is so much blur it's ridiculous. I normally wouldn't complain about graphics, but I'm really having trouble adjusting to GT6. It looks horrible in my opinion. It's one of the blurriest games I've ever seen.

I can't stand the fact that GT5 looks so much better than this. I don't understand why they would change the rendering engine just to make it look worse. I could care less if the lighting looks better or whatever.

I'd rather them have GT4 graphics rendered at full 1080p than this blurry mess. Seriously, even Vice City on my PC is easier to look at than this. So disappointed

I always loved GT5's graphics because they are crisp, clear, and detailed. What the hell happened?
Need to check ya TV out. Might need another 1.

Good thing my Panny plasma makes magic happen! Haha. Kidding aside though, its a shame @TomBrady had to be slammed like he was. I've been following this thread all day and I think the title may have (or not) made people jump on the defensive. Perspective is huge. If some people would take the time to listen and understand someone elses view, could it be that we might come to some sort of peacefull agreement/disagreement? Oh well, just from what I've seen here today. I don't have the game yet for input on the topic. I'll get over myself and step off my soapbox for now.

:-)

Last edited:
I am still only a little way into this game, but I tried Arcade with a Zonda on the Nordschleife in the dark to get away from licence tests and the such. I am impressed. I see lots of improvement from GT5? We need to remember....... its on PS3.

I like the handling, the visuals, and even the constant tyre screetching.

I am still only a little way into this game, but I tried Arcade with a Zonda on the Nordschleife in the dark to get away from licence tests and the such. I am impressed. I see lots of improvement from GT5? We need to remember....... its on PS3.

I like the handling, the visuals, and even the constant tyre screetching.

Other than the blurriness, it does look better. The smoke effects no longer make the cars look pixelated, there's no screen tearing at all ( I hate screen tearing), and there's no weird jagged shadows on the cars like in GT5. The lighting is better too.

That being said, I still prefer GT5 because it looks significantly more sharp and clear than GT6. I value sharpness in graphics more than most people I guess.

I HATE blurry graphics, and GT6 is pretty blurry at first. My only way of improving things was to put the sharpness on my TV all the way up to 16. It's weird because any other game would look worse with it set that high but it works for me on GT6.

Best GT otherwise, I'm just disappointed that GT is no longer as crisp and clear as it used to be.

Embargo worked like a charm. They got the money people got in the......
You-Stay-Classy-San-Diego-Anchorman.gif

Woah, noticeable frame drops even on a 30fps youtube video. Impressed. :scared:

What does the embargo have to do with anything? The reviews have been great so far. Hell, even Polygon gave it a 9!!! (Polygon is funded directly by microsoft, and is notorious for giving PS exclusives insanely unfair and biased reviews. They gave the Last of Us a 7.5 if you'll believe it)

Mentioning the embargo implies that they didn't want people to see all the bad reviews, but GT6 is getting great reviews so I dont' see your point.

Just because some people haven't immediately noticed the lack of sharpness compared to GT5, doesn't mean I'm some moron that doesn't know how to troubleshoot or adjust a TV. I'm an AV technician...
Well, in fairness to those who jumped wildly, you have to admit that there are those who would not necessarily know how to troubleshoot or adjust a television and it's not completely out in left field for someone to expect that. :dopey:
Every time my husband goes somewhere there's a television set - like in a waiting room, or worse, at someone's house, he's always complaining about the tv adjustments being all wrong. Sometimes it seems pretty obvious things too - like aspect ratio.
Lots of people don't actually know diddly about these things.
Someone I was playing gt5 with couldn't see the text chat because it was cut off for them. They'd been playing like this for months maybe.

Anyhow, this blur thing definitely sounds like an eye of the beholder issue.

It reminds me of an old discussion I've had with some other digital photographers about different digital camera brands, and their image issues - specifically Sony cameras vs. Canon cameras.
I'm a die-hard Canon fan. I like the colour & shading produced Canon. Some people have argued with me that the images are not crisp & sharp enough, and they thought Sony digital cameras produced sharper images, and that was the end-all be-all for them. To me, I thought overall, they were almost too crisp, to the point where I thought in some of their photos, it almost looked like they'd hit Sharpen too many times in Photoshop or something. And in the end, I always felt that if one of my photos out of my Canons seemed too soft, I could always easily compensate for it by post-production sharpening.

Obviously this is both a matter of taste, and very likely a vision issue for me at least.

Fact is I have a soft blur to my vision normally at distance.
In college, where I majored in art... I had more than one professor note how all my drawings & paintings tended to have a big "softness" to them. I figure it's probably because that's actually how I see things.

We have picked up the GT6. But the television is currently playing It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia :rolleyes: for my hard-working spouse, so I haven't seen it yet. So I don't know how I'll react to this in the end.

I watched more videos. I have to say the 1440p replay vids look amazing. Love the blur effect there. My question is does it look the same during gameplay or is it a soft blurry picture instead of motion blur like the replays? Hard to tell with compressed youtube videos. Hopefully some 1440p gameplay shows up on youtube

Yep, its not fair people voice their concerns openly, it totally kils the joy of the game for the die hard fans. Cant everyone who has a issue just pretend its perfect so it doesnt ruin their experience?

Hearing people whine in general isn't exactly a fairground ride bro.

;)

Gt5 looks sharper then gt6 on a Panasonic 50inch plasma running in 1080p.

This is the first thing i noticed.

Edit : After spending 2 hours with the game, the new visual aspects of gt6 make it more realistic. Willow spring track is just awesome.

Last edited:
I have been playing GT6 all day today, and I gotta say I love it. It's great and in most ways a big improvement over GT5 (but where are the used cars?? :( )

Anyway, I think it's good that someone brought the question about blurring/anti-aliasing up. I thought most people knew after the GT6 demo that GT6 would have more blur..? It was the first thing I thought when I played the GT6 demo, that they have added some kind of heavy anti-aliasing effect. I think it's very obvious, just like Tom says, and a Eurogamer article by Digital Foundry later proved that. It's a good read, I think people who questioned Tom's tv and resolution etc. should read the article.

Here a screenshot I took using their comparison tool that can be found in that article (check it in full size):

fua0fI.jpg

As it says they have added MLAA, the same "secret" that have made some other ps3 exclusives look as good as they do recently.

As I understand it is like this: MLAA is a post-process thing, meaning that it is the CPU that takes care of it instead of the GPU. The benefit it that you get a anti-aliased, softened image without draining the GPU of processing power. The downside can be increased shimmering, higher latency and, as seems to be GT6's case, worse framerate.

I think it's good that this is being discussed, because it's obvious that Polyphony Digital has gone a different path this time when it comes to graphics.

In GT1-GT5 framerate during gameplay was sacred, 60fps almost always locked (with a few exceptions, like when running 16 players online in GT5). In GT5 they even allowed tearing in the image, probably to keep the framerate up. (This is just speculation, but I have a strong feeling this is the case). In GT6 the framerate can fall under 45fps at times it seems.

This time it seems that they have tried to add more more blur ala Forza Motorsport by using MLAA. (Perhaps you have noticed that GT6 now has a little of that "shiny blurred tarmac" effect that could be found in i.e. Forza Motorsport 3?)

Personally, since MLAA is CPU intensive, I think the framerate issues in GT6 would perhaps disappear if MLAA was disabled. The CPU in GT6 probably handles a lot of things (physics! astronomy!) so letting it handle the anti-aliasing as well is probably a bit reason why the framerate isn't consistent.

But then of course if blur is good or bad thing is a very, very subjective thing :)

Last edited:
Back