Have a guitar? Why not show us!Music 

• Thread starter TVRKing
  • 976 comments
So for a while now I've been using my HX Stomp and thoroughly enjoy it, especially for headphone use.

That said a bit of me has always wanted to go back to a cranked valve amp for the tone and simplicity. I have my Marshall DSL 1 watt head which is great for that overdriven classic Marshall tone but I find a little lacking in clean tones.

I've always loved Fender clean tones, think Princeton and Deluxe but at around 15 and 22 watts respectively they are bloody loud when cranked. Call me old school but a valve amp (especially non master volume) needs to be driven pretty hard to sounds it's best.

Enter this, my brother in law gave me the opportunity to buy it at a very very good price, it's virtually brand new and he also loved it enough to upgrade a bit higher in the ToneKing lineup. He's worse than me at buying and selling gear. :lol:

Anyway a ToneKing Gremlin.
Two channel amp with one channel virtually a Fender black face amp and the other a Fender Tweed.
Hand wired and made in the US.
5 watts 1x12 inch custom Celestion speaker with a volume and tone knob, doesn't get much simpler. Turn the volume knob far enough and it starts to break up as any non master volume amp will.

Now a 5 Watt valve is still bloody loud to be played at family friendly volume so the huge kicker here is it has ToneKing's Iron Man attenuator built in to the amp which is scalable and to cut a long story short means I can turn it up to drive the valves hard yet keep the volume to bedroom level while still sounding beautiful.

I put my Boss Rv-6 reverb pedal in front of it and this is the sweetest sounding clean amp I've heard in a long time, crank it up and it overdrives beautifully.

I think I've found my perfect amp, enough rambling and some pics. Bonus points for the cream tolex almost being a perfect match for the binding on my Les Paul.

View attachment 1095166View attachment 1095167View attachment 1095168View attachment 1095169View attachment 1095170

View attachment 1095173
Very nice indeed. I can almost hear how good that sounds.

Here’s an updated view of my collection, after a period of trading/buying/selling to get what I want I’m pretty much there now. Couple extra shots of the 2 signature guitars I have which I’m extremely happy with.
5E6F5837-A677-4608-896C-216F70D713A4.jpeg
E2B8765A-0173-4E08-85BC-4ECE262C3463.jpeg
FC15F70A-DBC9-4111-B80E-106E27565F56.jpeg

Very nice indeed. I can almost hear how good that sounds.

Here’s an updated view of my collection, after a period of trading/buying/selling to get what I want I’m pretty much there now. Couple extra shots of the 2 signature guitars I have which I’m extremely happy with.
View attachment 1096470View attachment 1096471View attachment 1096472
Nice.....

That green burst on the Slash LP looks amazing. I've heard great things about that range of Epiphone guitars.
Love the blue on the Squier Strat too. 👍

Nice.....

That green burst on the Slash LP looks amazing. I've heard great things about that range of Epiphone guitars.
Love the blue on the Squier Strat too. 👍
It's a real beauty. I have to confess, when they first announced those Slash Epiphone models, I was skeptical, not least because of the decision they made to go with Custom ProBuckers instead of either Gibson or Seymour Duncan pickups, which perhaps would have been expected at that given price point. However, they are some of the nicest and most responsive pickups I've ever used. They are built to exactly the same specs as the custom Gibson pickups used in the Gibson Slash models and they really do shine. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.
Does the Billie Joe Junior sound as raw as it looks? It instantly caught my eye...
It does! It's absolutely brilliant, great neck and nice weight as well, just everything you would want from a Junior.

My new Squier Jazz Bass came in today and I'm pretty happy with it! :D

Edit: Will say the two issues I have are that the frets need a good polish and the tone pot is kinda scratchy but I can fix both pretty easily.

Last edited:
I've posted this elsewhere, but I'll post it here as well (with some more info).

oTTcuXO.jpg

tkrBroU.jpg

vKAaUxG.jpg

J62fKvp.jpg

VOqQrFD.jpg

Squier Telecaster FSR Classic Vibe '60s Custom Esquire®

Last Friday was NGD!

I was always a sucker for double-bound Telecasters; black ones in particular.
Also, I've been leaning towards getting a single pick up guitar and these Esquires have always caught my eye.
So, when on Thursday, out of nowhere, an ad appeared in front of me of this (special run, heavily discounted, 2 units left, next-day free delivery, blah blah blah) I just lost my mind and did what was probably my biggest impulse buy to date.

This is my first Squier guitar and I have to say that the quality you get from a ~€400 guitar (this one was €319) nowadays is nothing short of amazing...
Seriously, the guitar did not came properly setup (action too high and intonation off), but other than that I can't really point any major flaws. Fret ends are well finished with no sharp edges and there's apparent buzzing due to high frets.

In the short term, I'll be placing new strings on it, condition the fretboard (although it isn't dry) and try to properly set it up myself.
On the long run, I'll look into some brass saddles (always loved the look on those) and maybe a new pick up, as I have a friend with a Classic Vibe Tele who did place some new pick-ups and swears by it. We'll see.

Been a while since I posted here. Had a few comings and goings in my collection. But this is the latest addition, replacing an outgoing Fender Mischief Maker.

Epiphone Les Paul prophecy olive tiger burst
PXL_20230304_145356527.jpg

Had to order online as none of my local stores had this colour in stock, got a good deal on it too. Always nice when you order online and get a really attractive figured top, can be a bit of a gamble.

Fishman Fluency modern pickups specifically voiced for this model (voice 1 modern active, voice 2 Gibson BurstBucker, voice 3 California single clean). Graph tech nut, locking Grover tuners, ebony fretboard. Super spec for the money.

Been a while since I posted here. Had a few comings and goings in my collection. But this is the latest addition, replacing an outgoing Fender Mischief Maker.

Epiphone Les Paul prophecy olive tiger burst
View attachment 1236757

Had to order online as none of my local stores had this colour in stock, got a good deal on it too. Always nice when you order online and get a really attractive figured top, can be a bit of a gamble.

Fishman Fluency modern pickups specifically voiced for this model (voice 1 modern active, voice 2 Gibson BurstBucker, voice 3 California single clean). Graph tech nut, locking Grover tuners, ebony fretboard. Super spec for the money.
Nice pickup, looks awesome.
A mate of mine has a prophecy flying v which is a great guitar.

I'm currently working on something and will hopefully be able to update the progress in a couple of weeks.

Some of you may remember this Tele I bought a while back. As much as it sounded great and had typical Fender Japan quality I just couldn't get along with the fat 50's U profile neck as much as I tried.

I sold it about 6 months ago which meant I had some money waiting for another Tele to come along.
This turned up a few months ago on a local Facebook page. American Performer with the modern C profile neck I'm a big fan of.

IMG20220814170205~2.jpg

Now because someone thought they had the talent to relic a guitar which they obviously haven't it was going for a bargain basement price. Went and tried it immediately liked the neck and thought I can do something with this.

Fast forward to three weeks ago and I started to work on painting it to a colour scheme I wanted.

IMG20230301094659.jpg

Initial sand to see the damage done, soon worked out the top needed to go back to bare wood, the rest needed the horribly applied blue taken off and the original Antique White scuffed up for filler and primer.

IMG20230303141509.jpg

After the filler and sealer which then was undercoated in white.

I've always been a huge fan of Fenders old school colours and was tossing up between Sonic Blue, Surf Green and Seafoam Green.
In the end I went with Surf Green and am pretty pleased with the results.

Put some strings on it today to quickly check set-up and intonation (both need a little work) but here it is.

PXL_20230321_075741560.jpg

PXL_20230321_075753408.jpg

PXL_20230321_075812955.jpg

PXL_20230321_075845995.jpg

It looks a little off in the photos but to the eye it's definitely Surf Green.

Some of you may remember this Tele I bought a while back. As much as it sounded great and had typical Fender Japan quality I just couldn't get along with the fat 50's U profile neck as much as I tried.

I sold it about 6 months ago which meant I had some money waiting for another Tele to come along.
This turned up a few months ago on a local Facebook page. American Performer with the modern C profile neck I'm a big fan of.

View attachment 1241251

Now because someone thought they had the talent to relic a guitar which they obviously haven't it was going for a bargain basement price. Went and tried it immediately liked the neck and thought I can do something with this.

Fast forward to three weeks ago and I started to work on painting it to a colour scheme I wanted.

View attachment 1241252

Initial sand to see the damage done, soon worked out the top needed to go back to bare wood, the rest needed the horribly applied blue taken off and the original Antique White scuffed up for filler and primer.

View attachment 1241254

I've always been a huge fan of Fenders old school colours and was tossing up between Sonic Blue, Surf Green and Seafoam Green.

Put some strings on it today to quickly check set-up and intonation (both need a little work) but here it is.

View attachment 1241255
View attachment 1241256
View attachment 1241257
View attachment 1241258

Well done.

More importantly, nice save and glad it is now home to a good owner!

View attachment 1241251

View attachment 1241252

View attachment 1241254

View attachment 1241255
View attachment 1241256
View attachment 1241257
View attachment 1241258

Now that's one hell of a show-stopper!
Gorgeous color too!

Back