Have a guitar? Why not show us!Music 

• Thread starter TVRKing
  • 976 comments
So further to my impressions @35mm I have moved the Spark amp on to a new owner. A huge portion of why I bought it was for the app. The tones are decent enough but the app, everytime I use it I grow more disillusioned by it and with every tweak or update it seems to get worse (to the point it is just a roll of the dice whether my iPad connects and it doesnt work with iPadOS 14 at time of writing).

But the biggest thing is the feeling of being slightly misled by the marketing regarding the backing tracks, Spotify integration. All the backing tracks you can search for and play along to to, are just pulled from YouTube, so there's no need to have to use the app for that. And likewise the Spotify "integration" which simply looks at what songs you have saved to your created playlists, asks you to 'import'your playlist or songs that you want to play, but all its actually doing is looking for thay song on YouTube so by the time its imported and you hit play to play along, its just a YouTube video so the quality takes a hit and if the music video version is different you get that one, which is quite annoying when playing Green Day. You also can't import a whole playlist, just a few at a time. And it doesn't save them.

I don't want to sound like I'm just crapping on it, it does sound pretty good for a £210/$225 amp. I think they're up to full price now at £250/$299. At that price you're talking, in the realms of practice modelling amps at least, Boss Katana, Fender Mustang GT/LT, Vox Adio/VTX, Blackstar ID Core and more. And thats before you factor in some more focussed solid state amps at that price in the Orange Crush range, Fender Champion, Marshall MG, Yamaha THR10 etc. And when compared to either of those selection, yes it has good variety but purely tonally, with the possible exception of the Marshall MG and Orange Crush, its hard to recommend the Spark over the others. Especially as the app isn't all its cracked up to be and certainly doesn't offer anything outside of the tone creation that can't be done with other apps on the other amps.

When it comes to amps that have Bluetooth connectivity for tones, the Vox Adio and the Fender Mustang GT/GTC series are its rivals and both offer better tones and in the case ofbthe Mustang, a much nicer and more versatile app. More freedom over signal oaths for effects, cabinet emulation which the Spark is sorely lacking and better overall connectivity.

For me, what it has done is opened my eyes to what I want. In hindsight I would have kept hold of my Mustang GT100 as I sold that to buy a Katana 10p and didn't like it then bought the Spark in place of the Katana. But looking at the tones that I keep going to and what I wsnt my tone to sound like and the stuff I play. I dont really need a digital modelling amp with 20million presets and effects so I'm going to be getting a versatile tube combo.

So further to my impressions @35mm I have moved the Spark amp on to a new owner. A huge portion of why I bought it was for the app. The tones are decent enough but the app, everytime I use it I grow more disillusioned by it and with every tweak or update it seems to get worse (to the point it is just a roll of the dice whether my iPad connects and it doesnt work with iPadOS 14 at time of writing).

But the biggest thing is the feeling of being slightly misled by the marketing regarding the backing tracks, Spotify integration. All the backing tracks you can search for and play along to to, are just pulled from YouTube, so there's no need to have to use the app for that. And likewise the Spotify "integration" which simply looks at what songs you have saved to your created playlists, asks you to 'import'your playlist or songs that you want to play, but all its actually doing is looking for thay song on YouTube so by the time its imported and you hit play to play along, its just a YouTube video so the quality takes a hit and if the music video version is different you get that one, which is quite annoying when playing Green Day. You also can't import a whole playlist, just a few at a time. And it doesn't save them.

I don't want to sound like I'm just crapping on it, it does sound pretty good for a £210/$225 amp. I think they're up to full price now at £250/$299. At that price you're talking, in the realms of practice modelling amps at least, Boss Katana, Fender Mustang GT/LT, Vox Adio/VTX, Blackstar ID Core and more. And thats before you factor in some more focussed solid state amps at that price in the Orange Crush range, Fender Champion, Marshall MG, Yamaha THR10 etc. And when compared to either of those selection, yes it has good variety but purely tonally, with the possible exception of the Marshall MG and Orange Crush, its hard to recommend the Spark over the others. Especially as the app isn't all its cracked up to be and certainly doesn't offer anything outside of the tone creation that can't be done with other apps on the other amps.

When it comes to amps that have Bluetooth connectivity for tones, the Vox Adio and the Fender Mustang GT/GTC series are its rivals and both offer better tones and in the case ofbthe Mustang, a much nicer and more versatile app. More freedom over signal oaths for effects, cabinet emulation which the Spark is sorely lacking and better overall connectivity.

For me, what it has done is opened my eyes to what I want. In hindsight I would have kept hold of my Mustang GT100 as I sold that to buy a Katana 10p and didn't like it then bought the Spark in place of the Katana. But looking at the tones that I keep going to and what I wsnt my tone to sound like and the stuff I play. I dont really need a digital modelling amp with 20million presets and effects so I'm going to be getting a versatile tube combo.
Thanks for sharing this with me.

I'll be honest: I was never completely sold on it.
My brother was all hyped about it and almost bought one, but whenever he showed me a video of it, trying to convince me, the tones would always sound a bit too "digital" to my ears. I always thought the sound of my Vox Adio was miles ahead of it. The same goes for any video of a THR I've seen.
Also, all the practice / learning side of it looked more like a gimmick than anything else.

Anyway, congrats on the new Epi and nice little music corner you have. It's really just missing a tube amp. ;)

Thanks for sharing this with me.

I'll be honest: I was never completely sold on it.
My brother was all hyped about it and almost bought one, but whenever he showed me a video of it, trying to convince me, the tones would always sound a bit too "digital" to my ears. I always thought the sound of my Vox Adio was miles ahead of it. The same goes for any video of a THR I've seen.
Also, all the practice / learning side of it looked more like a gimmick than anything else.

Anyway, congrats on the new Epi and nice little music corner you have. It's really just missing a tube amp. ;)

I was really hyped about the Spark and I really tried to like it but yeah the tones are quite artificial, especially compared to the THR and Adio, and the app issues were just the last straw as they were one of the main reasons I went for it. Fortunately it sold quickly...

So I could rectify you last point there....

833DEEFB-311C-46B0-9AFE-2E1368009028.jpeg

Marshall DSL5CR, all valve combo. 5 watts switchable to 0.1 watts for late night saturated gain. Super versatile and so far sounds incredible.

I was really hyped about the Spark and I really tried to like it but yeah the tones are quite artificial, especially compared to the THR and Adio, and the app issues were just the last straw as they were one of the main reasons I went for it. Fortunately it sold quickly...

So I could rectify you last point there....

View attachment 960526

Marshall DSL5CR, all valve combo. 5 watts switchable to 0.1 watts for late night saturated gain. Super versatile and so far sounds incredible.
Ha! You're the total opposite of me, when it comes to buying/selling stuff!

Nice one.
I also looked into the DSL5CR when I was looking for a valve amp (vs the Blackstar HT5R). But then the HT20R deal came up and I never looked back.
I'm sure it goes lovely with the Les Pauls...

PXL_20201012_184050570.jpg

PXL_20201012_184127024.jpg

PXL_20201012_184142235.jpg

PXL_20201012_184144465.jpg

PXL_20201012_184208269.MP.jpg

PXL_20201012_184211966.jpg

Epiphone 1959 Les Paul Standard in Aged Dark Burst. These were never really "announced" but they were shown at Winter NAMM 2019 and I thought they were very interesting. I pre-ordered from Sweetwater on March 6th and the guitar was originally supposed to launch earlier in the year but COVID-19 had other things to say about that. I still don't think these have been officially announced yet as they still are nowhere to be found on Epiphone's website.

These guitars come with Gibson pickups, a BurstBucker 2 in the neck and a BurstBucker 3 in the bridge, and have a special "VOS like" finish, which I think feels a lot better than the regular poly finish that comes on Epiphone guitars. The factory setup was actually pretty decent, a little buzzing on a couple frets but that can easily be fixed.

View attachment 964545
View attachment 964546
View attachment 964547
View attachment 964548
View attachment 964549
View attachment 964550

Epiphone 1959 Les Paul Standard in Aged Dark Burst. These were never really "announced" but they were shown at Winter NAMM 2019 and I thought they were very interesting. I pre-ordered from Sweetwater on March 6th and the guitar was originally supposed to launch earlier in the year but COVID-19 had other things to say about that. I still don't think these have been officially announced yet as they still are nowhere to be found on Epiphone's website.

These guitars come with Gibson pickups, a BurstBucker 2 in the neck and a BurstBucker 3 in the bridge, and have a special "VOS like" finish, which I think feels a lot better than the regular poly finish that comes on Epiphone guitars. The factory setup was actually pretty decent, a little buzzing on a couple frets but that can easily be fixed.

So jealous. Really wanted one if these. Just spent too much money on guitar gear this year :dopey: . I do have the standard 50s Lp by Epiphone in the vintage sunburst, just doesn't have the BurstBucker pickups or the lovely case.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Epiphone Inspired by Gibson Hummingbird, I've had it since the 14th and it is a fantastic guitar. From what I understand these are essentially "Masterbilt" guitars under a different name, so they are the highest quality acoustics Epiphone makes. I am very pleased with it, I purchased it from Wildwood and as usual, the setup was perfect and it plays like a dream.

View attachment 993573
View attachment 993574
View attachment 993575
View attachment 993576
View attachment 993577
View attachment 993578

Epiphone Inspired by Gibson Hummingbird, I've had it since the 14th and it is a fantastic guitar. From what I understand these are essentially "Masterbilt" guitars under a different name, so they are the highest quality acoustics Epiphone makes. I am very pleased with it, I purchased it from Wildwood and as usual, the setup was perfect and it plays like a dream.

Stop it! :lol: buying all the guitars I want to buy. :D

I've recorded a few covers over the years. Just recently started uploading them. Here's a couple, feel free to roast me.

Holiday by Green Day

Hysteria by Muse (bass cover)

Monkey Wrench by Foo Fighters

Also, here's my Strat project. Currently a Squier Buller Strat body, limited edition metallic purple, with a cheapo maple neck and generic Alnico V pickups. Planning to get a higher quality neck and nice electronics at some point this year.
20210206_094141.jpg

I thought I had posted this here but it was in the latest purchase thread.

A similar story to @35mm in that I always wanted a Les Paul standard. Bought an Epiphone thinking that would scratch the itch but it only made it worse.

So a little while back now I headed to my local guitar store with cash in hand to buy a standard after trying a few at various stores and deciding my local store had the one I wanted.

While there I noticed a new addition hanging up, not a standard but decided to have a play anyway. Long story short I instantly gelled with the feel and sound of it and after an extended demo handed over the cash and walked away with it.

2019 Les Paul Classic, as a bonus I love the look of Zebra pickups.

IMG_20200717_175320.jpg
IMG_20200717_175406.jpg
IMG_20200721_180154.jpg

@Shaun
I don't think I commented on your post in the latest purchase thread at the time, but I'm really happy you went for it.
Also, red Classics have been growing on me, as I recently saw some nice close-up photos of one which showed some nice grain (I didn't know it was so apparent).
I've never seen one in the flesh, but I'm pretty sure now they look fantastic.

@MagpieRacer
Nice seeing some one posting videos of their playing here. Maybe someday I'll gather the courage and share something as well. :embarrassed:
Also, keep us posted on the Strat project.

PXL_20210224_212032807.jpg

PXL_20210224_212053145.jpg

So I think I might be done buying guitars/amps, for a little while, at least. This is a Hiwatt "Little J" Rig, supposed to be a recreation of Jimmy Page's Custom Hiwatts he used with Zeppelin from late '69 to mid '71. I've been searching for one of these for years (supposedly they only made between 50-100) and finally saw one pop up, brand new, on eBay from a store in Italy. There were only two stock pictures, but I took a chance and ordered it on February 12th, it arrived on my doorstep on the 24th. Unfortunately, it is wired for 230V rather than the American 120V, so it is at my tech right now getting that fixed.

Jimmy did use Marshall cabs with his Hiwatt heads so maybe I need to be on the lookout for a Marshall 2x12 cab, and Jimmy did use Plexi heads in late '71 through the rest of Zeppelin, so maybe an SV20 head will need to be purchased soon, too. Maybe I'm not done buying gear after all...

@Parker
Would love to hear some sounds coming off of that (along with your Wildwood 50s), if you ever happen to record something.

On a similar note, and following @MagpieRacer's videos, I remembered that I actually once uploaded a small video of mine on YouTube (playing an Opeth solo), so if it's there I might as well share it here. :dopey:

Another addition. Story with this one is I'd bought a Yamaha RGXA2 really cheap (£100) back in November which had a few issues and was a bit scuffed up, a 2007 model in black. Re-soldered the wiring and the ridiculous pickup selector (which also needed lubricating), restrung and cleaned it up with the intention of selling straight away for profit but ended up quite enjoying the sound and kept it for a bit longer. After a while I decided to move it on as it's a strange feeling guitar to play despite its sound. Listed it locally and someone got in touch offering a trade, they had a 2019 Squier Stratocaster Classic Vibe 50s, no brainer for me as I've been on the hunt for a Strat. Went ahead with it and now own this beautiful Strat. I definitley got the best end of this deal.
IMG_20210309_133528_305.jpg
IMG_20210309_133528_250.jpg
IMG_20210309_133528_323.jpg

It's colour is called white blonde, though in person it almost looks like a really faded transparent pink. I've always read and watched good things about the Classic Vibe range so I was a bit worried it wouldn't live up to the huge hype they have. Didn't need to worry at all, it's blown me away in it's feel and tone. The neck is spot on, the glossy fretboard feels amazing to play, really comfortable neck shape and the pickups are spectacular. The bridge in particular is quite surprising in how rich it is, especially with some drive. It immediately bought out the Frusciante in me so I've been learning some Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I may upload my Californication cover if I can record a clean run :dopey:

Last edited:
New addition to the rig. Bit of a shift from what I was planning to do with my Pedalboard build but the Helix gets such good write ups and has everything I need and more.
20210331_105228.jpg
20210331_105245.jpg
20210331_105430.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, I think you'll enjoy it.
I borrowed a HX Stomp off a mate to try a while back and liked it so much I bought one a couple of weeks later for the small form factor on my pedal board.

So far so good. Its incredible how much it can do, I'll probably never scratch the surface with this. But there's some great presets which have already inspired different parts of my musical brain.

I did look at the HX Stomp but I felt by the time I'd bought an additional couple of footswitches and EXP pedal I mat as well have gone for the Helix LT, got it as B stock as well so we'll under under RRP.

Just need to decide on a more permanent setup with it really. I'm running it into the power amp of my Marshall DSL5 which works fine but I know with an FRFR speaker cab or studio monitors, it would sound a whole load better. Just need to figure out what to go for.

So far so good. Its incredible how much it can do, I'll probably never scratch the surface with this. But there's some great presets which have already inspired different parts of my musical brain.

I did look at the HX Stomp but I felt by the time I'd bought an additional couple of footswitches and EXP pedal I mat as well have gone for the Helix LT, got it as B stock as well so we'll under under RRP.

Just need to decide on a more permanent setup with it really. I'm running it into the power amp of my Marshall DSL5 which works fine but I know with an FRFR speaker cab or studio monitors, it would sound a whole load better. Just need to figure out what to go for.

Excellent. 👍

I'm no means an expert as I've only had the Stomp for a few months but if you want the Marshall (or another pedal) to do the drive section of your sound you can run the Helix in the effects loop of the amp and I read this works well.

I normally use headphones with the Stomp or run it into the front of my Marshall DSL1. Apparently running it into a Boss Katana on the acoustic setting works well as it does colour the sound, I have a Katana but haven't tried it yet but should get around to doing so.

Last edited:
Excellent. 👍

I'm no means an expert as I've only had the Stomp for a few months but if you want the Marshall (or another pedal) to do the drive section of your sound you can run the Helix in the effects loop of the amp and I read this works well.

I normally use headphones with the Stomp or run it into the front of my Marshall DSL1. Apparently running it into a Boss Katana on the acoustic setting works well as it does colour the sound, I have a Katana but haven't tried it yet but should get around to doing so.

I tried a few different ways with this in the end. Tried the 4 cable method using the Marshall preamp and the Helix as a pedalboard effectively, sounded OK but obviously the amp models don't sound that good this way. Tried it straight into the Marshall power amp, sounded pretty good but naturally colored the sound quite a bit, was quite jarring going between my PreSonus studio headphones to the Marshall setup as it sounded just more clean and articulate through the headphones as it was all the modelling as it was intended to be.

So I've since bitten the bullet and sold the Marshall in favour of some studio monitors. Nothing crazy, PreSonus Eris E4.5 model. Ideal for using in the living room, also have Bluetooth as well so can be used as a nice home system for music. The Helix sounds absolutely unbelievable in the room now, the nuances of the models and cab sims are much clearer than through the Marshall and I now feel I'm getting the best out of it.
20210407_111707.jpg

In other guitar related buying. My Epiphone Les Paul Standard 50s had started falling out of favour, hardly getting played as I just naturally gravitate to my Gibson. I'm glad I bought it and have had it for a good 9 months and I wouldn't hesitate recommending them to someone who wants a good Les Paul. So I decided to sell it on and purchase something that is truly different for my collection.

So I've ordered one of these after scouring all the UK shops and some in Europe. Absolutely everywhere out of stock of these new Squier Contemporary models, finally found a music store by chance that didn't show on Google when I was searching for it and low and behold they had one in stock so I snapped it up. Hopefully will come early this week. Its a 2021 Squier Contemporary stratocaster HH FR. High output SQR Atomic humbuckers, Floyd Rose system, roasted maple neck, 5 way switch for getting coil splits. Amazing spec for the price, I mean a roasted maple neck for less than £350? Yes please.
0370240568_4080cf5c26.jpg

Should scratch the modern high output itch I've had for a while.

I've always liked Telecaster's for their simplicity which make it even odder that I've never owned one, probably because I could always borrow one from my brother in law.

Anyway I decided to rectify that a couple of weeks ago. I've always been a huge fan of the quality of guitars that come out of Fender Japan and I regret selling a Japanese Strat that I bought in 89. So after doing a bit of research and hunting around I brought this home.

MIJ hybrid 50's Tele, has the looks of a 50's Tele but with modern playability. 4 way switch, US pickups and an unbelievably smooth satin finish neck.
They are a limited run and and apart from the factory finishes they could be painted to a stores/distributor spec. I fell in love with this Sherwood green colour and snapped it up.

IMG20210614154800.jpg
IMG20210614154957.jpg
IMG20210614154931.jpg

Went to my local guitar shop yesterday to get a cheap pedal board for a project and some strings.
Walked away with this.
Whoops.

IMG_20210819_180917.jpg

American Professional II Strat in Miami blue.
The pedal board wasn't in stock but when it comes in they're giving it to me at cost and threw in a few packets of strings. 😂

Had no intention of buying a guitar but have been wanting a Strat for a while and thought I'll just do a bit of research on the neck profiles for the future.
Fell in love with this one straight away and snapped it up after a quick trip outside to run it by the Minister of finance Mrs Shaun.

More pics here.

Damn, that's a nice living room, @Shaun. :D

Congrats on the new Fender guitars.

Edit:
Just look at all the new gear in this thread page alone. Awesome.

Last edited:
Damn, that's a nice living room, @Shaun. :D

Congrats on the new Fender guitars.

Edit:
Just look at all the new gear in this thread page alone. Awesome.
Thanks mate, think I'm done for a long time now. Always wanted a LP, Tele and Strat since I was a kid.
Now I'm older with more disposable income thought why not.

MY latest addition. Replacing the Line 6 Helix LT which was proving slightly difficult for me in terms of how I want to use it which is mainly home use. Just isn't quite intuitive enough for what I want to do. So this is the new HeadRush MX5, as you can tell, it is absolutely tiny. I was going to buy the Line6 Pod Go on account of the fact that I knew I liked the HX tones but then HeadRush announced this and answered all my prayers. Has the full range of features from the bigger HeadRush pedalboard, so no sacrifice in DSP or anything, plus it has a touchscreen and sits nicely right next to my laptop. Happy days.
20210819_191040.jpg

And here's some updated photos of my guitars:
20210801_142359.jpg
20210801_142022.jpg
20210801_142428.jpg
20210801_142124.jpg
20210526_162032(0).jpg

So this is the new HeadRush MX5, as you can tell, it is absolutely tiny. I was going to buy the Line6 Pod Go on account of the fact that I knew I liked the HX tones but then HeadRush announced this and answered all my prayers.
How is it working out?
Good sounds in comparison to the line 6?

I still really like my HX Stomp but often gravitate into plugging straight into my amps for the simplicity.

How is it working out?
Good sounds in comparison to the line 6?

I still really like my HX Stomp but often gravitate into plugging straight into my amps for the simplicity.
It's fantastic, was a bit of a gamble having no experience with HeadRush but its paid off. The overdrive and high gain amp models in particular are better to my ears than in the line6 (the Marshall models are immeasurably better) and the clean models are definitely as good as the Line6. In some cases better where the HR models amps the Line6 doesn't, like the Fender Super Reverb with matching 4x10 cab.

The promise of simplicity really sold me on it, and compared to the Line6 I'm actually almost using it like a normal amp, just sits on my desk ready to go, the touchscreen makes choosing amps or presets stupidly simple. Definitley spend far less time tweaking and finding what I want and more time actually playing compared to the Line6. Then there's the little quality of life things like the aux in on the back so can just plug my phone in and play along to backing tracks, always on looper so you don't have to assign the looper to a block inside a preset like the Line6, it's just always there and can easily switch between presets or amps without affecting the loop and you can even load loops into it from a laptop or PC via USB.

Definitley happy with the purchase despite the risk of it A) being a brand new product, literally bought it on launch day and B) never experiencing HeadRush before so went in blind.

So for a while now I've been using my HX Stomp and thoroughly enjoy it, especially for headphone use.

That said a bit of me has always wanted to go back to a cranked valve amp for the tone and simplicity. I have my Marshall DSL 1 watt head which is great for that overdriven classic Marshall tone but I find a little lacking in clean tones.

I've always loved Fender clean tones, think Princeton and Deluxe but at around 15 and 22 watts respectively they are bloody loud when cranked. Call me old school but a valve amp (especially non master volume) needs to be driven pretty hard to sounds it's best.

Enter this, my brother in law gave me the opportunity to buy it at a very very good price, it's virtually brand new and he also loved it enough to upgrade a bit higher in the ToneKing lineup. He's worse than me at buying and selling gear. :lol:

Anyway a ToneKing Gremlin.
Two channel amp with one channel virtually a Fender black face amp and the other a Fender Tweed.
Hand wired and made in the US.
5 watts 1x12 inch custom Celestion speaker with a volume and tone knob, doesn't get much simpler. Turn the volume knob far enough and it starts to break up as any non master volume amp will.

Now a 5 Watt valve is still bloody loud to be played at family friendly volume so the huge kicker here is it has ToneKing's Iron Man attenuator built in to the amp which is scalable and to cut a long story short means I can turn it up to drive the valves hard yet keep the volume to bedroom level while still sounding beautiful.

I put my Boss Rv-6 reverb pedal in front of it and this is the sweetest sounding clean amp I've heard in a long time, crank it up and it overdrives beautifully.

I think I've found my perfect amp, enough rambling and some pics. Bonus points for the cream tolex almost being a perfect match for the binding on my Les Paul.

IMG_20211121_170239.jpg
IMG20211121165534.jpg
IMG_20211121_170540.jpg
IMG20211121165442.jpg
IMG_20211121_170331.jpg

View attachment 1095173

Attachments

• IMG_20211121_165936.jpg
    IMG_20211121_165936.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 8
Back