Have microtransactions affected Gran Turismo 6?

• Thread starter machschnel
  • 152 comments

Have microtransactions affected Gran Turismo 6?

• Yes

Votes: 139 55.4%
  • No

Votes: 90 35.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 22 8.8%

• Total voters
I have played GT since 1 and still own every GT game to date except prologues. I have over 80% completed 6 and have all golds up to the S license. Im currently at 0% completion though after glitching alot and deciding to start again for the 3rd time.

To me it is unquestionable whether GT6 has been affected by microtransactions. It seems to me the whole game in its released state was designed to tempt and almost force you to buy additional credits.

The only time I struggled for a car in GT5 Aspec was with 'Like the Wind' and completing that gave the Toyota Minolta which could see you through almost the rest of the game. The whole of GT5 had a rough estimate of 75% more content, similar and more frequent cash payouts and 80% more (recurring) prize cars. Plus as the career progressed you earned much more in GT5 for events and special events, compared to GT6 which barely improves until IA license races.

GT6 gives about 8m for all the content completed and 50k for the fastest grind, compared to I dont know what in GT5 100% and that championship which gave the Citroen GT car for the grind. altogether it all payed out perhaps 4/5x completion and the grind was a little slower but left you more satisfied after playing through.

The problems in the GT6 mentioned around GTP that dont need reiterating add to the I think obvious design choice that support the question this thread is dedicated too.

By the time you have grinded 2M for a LeMans car in GT6 youve had to spend 500k+ on body rigidity and worn out your car in miles in realistic standards playing as a simulation. Most races are unbalanced having super opponents at the front and your 100pp lower car just winning by the end. Historic Racing Car IB is the worst for this, to have a realistic race you need a 7, J, D or 20m car just to be immersed. Many races are just like an open day and the guy with the most expensive car is ruling the track.

Also notice how there are short races especially the S rank races. Well I think the body rigidity is meant to be the way it is and the race lengths prove that, It also justifies the low payouts. I do think GT6 has been built for micros but also think payouts will improve as time goes on. GT6 is also significantly different to previous GT's and you have to progressively grind for the correct type of car for the events as you meet them.

GT6 is just as fun as ever and more, but, as I said above.

It has affected Sony and PD's image but hasn't affected GT6 thanks to the glitch. I still voted yes though as these monsters should not be allowed to do whatever they please. £120 for a digital car? Get real SONY even iRacing does not charge as much and they sell add on content.

If Sony and PD want to make extra cash then they should do so with providing us with DLC. They are flogging a dead horse with these MEGA TRANSACTIONS!

If they sell 5 million copies of GT6 priced at £40 each then that would fetch them £200,000,000 is that not enough for them?

If PD actually listened to us and gave better sounds in the first place they would not have a problem selling of GT6, but he wanted to argue the case with us saying that the problem is that the sound sounds too real!...lol Does he not realize that we the consumers are not 5 years old?

Kaz needs to start listening to people that actually know a thing or two about motorsports and stop being stubborn in his ways. The sound problem should of been at the top of changes list but seems as though it wasnt that important to them because they sold so many GT5. I wonder what they are thinking now?

*EDIT*

I would also like to add that if this silly practice continues on GT7 then I will not be purchasing a PS4, i'll just stick to PC sim's.

Last edited:
Problem isn't the payouts for races, it's the car prices. Cars shouldn't exceed 3 million for me and before someone goes on and tells me that an Xj13 should be impossible to buy because it's realistic I'll tell him it's a game and these prices are making these cars useless for alot of buyers.

Except that it's easier to win credits in 6 than it was in 5, and a lot of the really expensive cars have actually gone down in price.
dont know which planet your playing GT6 but here on earth thats not the case. I recommend taking a closer look

dont know which planet your playing GT6 but here on earth thats not the case. I recommend taking a closer look

You can't possibly tell me that it isn't easier to earn money in GT6 than it was in GT5 when it first came out. And prices for cars like the FGT and X2010 are substantially lower. But apparently no one remembers the days before log in bonuses and seasonal that pay out hundreds of thousands of credits for a few minutes of driving.

You can't possibly tell me that it isn't easier to earn money in GT6 than it was in GT5 when it first came out. And prices for cars like the FGT and X2010 are substantially lower. But apparently no one remembers the days before log in bonuses and seasonal that pay out hundreds of thousands of credits for a few minutes of driving.
Oh I see, you're comparing to GT5's first week release. I cant remember but it was bad also.

I do remember these days. PD improved the game, because people complained. Why did they throw their progress out of the window? Microtransactions. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think the point of the micro transactions was so people could curb playing the game to buy cars...

The $120 agrument is silly.

They're optional expensive booster packs. Maybe a last resort kinda deal.

Either way the game feels more like gt4 now, gt5 spoiled us with credits. I didn't like it.

The micro-transactions have had no impact on GT6. Micro-transactions have had an impact on the minds of GT6 players, especially those who were spoiled by GT5 payout increases to appease the whiners. It's an entirely psychological effect that has no impact on the true spirit of the gameplay. To me GT6 payouts feel like the true nature of the GT experience is back.
Either way the game feels more like gt4 now, gt5 spoiled us with credits. I didn't like it.

I dunno guys. These guys have a good point. It's all entitlement issues. You're all spoiled. GT6 is the "true nature of the GT experience," finally returned after all of those missteps.

After all, it's not as if GT2 (as an example) had a 6 minute race race that awarded you over 1/4th of the amount of credits needed to buy any one of the most expensive cars in the game. Or that GT3 (as another example) had a race series that (with judicial use of the series suspend feature) awarded 350,000 for 20 minutes of work. And it's not like GT4 (as a third example) had a race series that awarded you 900,000 credits after 30 minutes; or the rally race that awarded 250,000 for 8 minutes. Those three titles (and GT5) are merely statistical anomalies not representative of the "true nature of the GT experience."
It's certainly not like GT5 marked a major increase in the majority of the car prices as well as massively nerfing the prize car system, so the huge credits and login bonus was required to even reach parity with the previous games. And it's certainly not like GT6's entire career mode only awards you 1/3rd the amount of money needed for the most expensive car. And those people who would rather just play online rather than put up with the offline mode, even if it was actually improving? Forgetaboutit.

I mean, what fool would bring up all of those things when it's clear that the series has always been so miserly, and everyone here is just whining because they don't understand the "true nature of the GT Experience"; and the microtransactions being implemented in this game where all this is blowing up is just a coincidence.

You can't possibly tell me that it isn't easier to earn money in GT6 than it was in GT5 when it first came out.
So I'll bring it up again. In GT5 I could give a car to Bob and have him earn credits while I did something else. Are you going to tell me that GT6 gives you credits more easily than for doing nothing?

And "when it first came out" is a pretty meaningless argument anyway, because GT6 is going to be compared to the game that most are replacing it with. That game is very infrequently going to be GT5 1.00, because that simply isn't going to be what many people have been playing for the past 3 years.

Last edited:
I don't think they had any effect at all. Those who want can buy them, but the majority of players never will.

And how are you able to say Seasonal Events have been downgraded a lot? The game has just been released - an event giving you 1mio credits or a few 100.000 would just make the whole game go crazy. In GT5 they were added some weeks after the release and they're available since the release for GT6.
I'd hate it if they would make these overpriced Seasonal Events in the game NOW. The BMW event gives 40k if I remember correctly. They can steadily increase the prices for the upcoming events.

Jim Sterling has a good take on all this. GT6 is mentioned, but the majority of the video is regarding other games. It's more about the direction the industry is taking ( likely, over a huge cliff, though many will have horded enough cash to buy a parachute for themselves, once it happens ) and the role of F(r)ee to Pay and micro-transactions.

Some hate Jim Sterling. I think he's absolutely great.

Have a look, see if you feel it can be applied to GT6 ?

NSFW, in terms of strong language. Point in hand, starts around 1minute 10sec...

Just going to say this now. That's exactly how I feel about Free-to-play and micro-transactions that's why I hope this trend won't continue as gaming industry as it's been said is heading towards a huge cliff apparently they can't see.

Have you compared the car prize list of GT5 and GT6 before you wrote this statement ? I was going to report you for trolling. How can you say they have no impact when so many areas are effected?

Won any gift tickets yet for accomplishments, such as % completion or or driving so many miles? No me neither.

I didn't have to check because I'm actively playing GT6 right now and I am not having any money issues. The gameplay seems unchanged to me. Maybe I'm just way more skilled at driving than I think I am? o.0 I have reached 46% game completion and have not spent a single credit (besides for the Honda Fit). I have won 19 cars so far. I may not be winning cars in exactly the same fashion as GT5 but there are plenty of new ways (though many of these do require some effort). Also the cars I've won in GT6 have actually been rather more useful than many of the cars I won naturally in GT5.

I guess I should also add this disclaimer: I HATE micro-transactions in games. They should not exist. I have never and never will pay for stuff that can be earned. If I thought GT6 was being obviously unfair to boost MTs I would be amongst the first to complain. For now I see no evidence of foul play and I'm very good at noticing patterns in numbers.

Last edited:
Problem isn't the payouts for races, it's the car prices. Cars shouldn't exceed 3 million for me and before someone goes on and tells me that an Xj13 should be impossible to buy because it's realistic I'll tell him it's a game and these prices are making these cars useless for alot of buyers.
YES, prices are WAY too high in GT5/6. I mean, come on you could probably pick up a 1967 El Camino or even a 1978 Pontiac Firebird for around 10-30 thousand dollars here in the US, depending on the engine. Why should it be any different in a video game? I'd think, if PD really wanted to represent the cars in their games the right way, they probably should give them realistic prices.

Microtransactions are just a cheap way to extend the life of a game by limiting content. It adds nothing to the game.

Microtransactions do have their place in Free-To-Play games, but having them in GT6 is just greed. I am disappointed GT6 followed Forza's lead on this. Usually GT does not try to copy Forza. They have definitely affected the game economy.

For now I see no evidence of foul play and I'm very good at noticing patterns in numbers.

GT6 Seasonal Payouts -
  • Honda Fit RS Super Lap: Gran Turismo Arena / 1 Lap
    Period of Availability: 12/4/2013 20:00 – 1/1/2014 22:00
    Gold: Cr.5,000 Silver: Cr.3,500 Bronze: Cr.1,500
  • 15th Anniversary Cars Super Lap Round 1 / 1 Lap
    Gold: Cr.9,000 Silver: Cr.4,000 Bronze: Cr.2,000
  • Mercedes-Benz AMG VGT Super Lap / 1 Lap
    Gold: Cr.12,500 Silver: Cr.7,500 Bronze: Cr.5,000

GT5 Seasonal Payouts -

• 470PP Pickup Truck Race: Daytona Super Speedway / 3 Laps
    Period of Availability: 2013/10/10 04:00 -
    1st: Cr.291,500 2nd: Cr.160,325 3rd: Cr.116,600
  • 470PP Pickup Truck Race: Deep Forest Raceway / 5 Laps
    1st: Cr.287,000 2nd: Cr.157,850 3rd: Cr.114,800
  • 470PP Pickup Truck Race: Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca / 4 Laps
    1st: Cr.284,000 2nd: Cr.156,200 3rd: Cr.113,600
  • 470PP Pickup Truck Race: Eiger Nordwand Short Course / 6 Laps
    1st: Cr.290,000 2nd: Cr.159,500 3rd: Cr.116,000
  • 470PP Pickup Truck Race: Liege (Gravel) 310A / 3 Laps
    1st: Cr.310,000 2nd: Cr.170,500 3rd: Cr.124,000

I didn't have to check because I'm actively playing GT6 right now and I am not having any money issues. The gameplay seems unchanged to me. Maybe I'm just way more skilled at driving than I think I am? o.0 I have reached 46% game completion and have not spent a single credit (besides for the Honda Fit). I have won 19 cars so far. I may not be winning cars in exactly the same fashion as GT5 but there are plenty of new ways (though many of these do require some effort). Also the cars I've won in GT6 have actually been rather more useful than many of the cars I won naturally in GT5.

I guess I should also add this disclaimer: I HATE micro-transactions in games. They should not exist. I have never and never will pay for stuff that can be earned. If I thought GT6 was being obviously unfair to boost MTs I would be amongst the first to complain. For now I see no evidence of foul play and I'm very good at noticing patterns in numbers.

Well done. 19 out of 1200 and no chance to buy any single car over 8 million when you make it to 100%. Sounds legit. .

Payouts in GT5 evolved.

So why no mention of the fourth GT6 seasonal?
Winning a good car in a seasonal is also good in my book.

10, 15, 25, 40+car, ...
I see a pattern of increasing numbers.
Let's wait and see what the next seasonals looks like.

People who want everything in a game to be instant, easy and common are just as bad for the gaming industry as MTs.

For now I see no evidence of foul play and I'm very good at noticing patterns in numbers.
:lol:

Yeah. You're so good at noticing patterns in numbers that you said this:
To me GT6 payouts feel like the true nature of the GT experience is back.
Without irony.

People who want everything in a game to be instant, easy and common are just as bad for the gaming industry as MTs.
[citation needed]

Micro? don't you mean MASSIVEtransactions? I can't believe PD took this route, it screams cash cow, it's sad to see my favorite game series lower itself to this crap.

I like to drive every car in the game in career mode (except for duplicates) and fully tune them for hot lapping too, will I be able to do this in GT6? not until PD fixes the payouts I wont.

The micro-transactions have had no impact on GT6. Micro-transactions have had an impact on the minds of GT6 players, especially those who were spoiled by GT5 payout increases to appease the whiners. It's an entirely psychological effect that has no impact on the true spirit of the gameplay. To me GT6 payouts feel like the true nature of the GT experience is back.

until you desperately want that 250 GTO which takes 2 months and ALL your credits to obtain.. then you may change your mind.

:lol:

Yeah. You're so good at noticing patterns in numbers that you said this:

Without irony.

[citation needed]

I'm not sure what you think you see in those two statements of mine. I made them and do not see how they contradict one another unless you take them out of context? Explain.

1st statement: I see no proof that MT have influenced the decisions for credit levels in GT6. In other words I doubt that the credit levels would be any different than they are now had MT not been part of the game. The decision to keep credits low seems to me to be a choice based on trying to keep a challenge in a game where they cannot do it with well-programmed AI. It also seems like maybe they want people's online cars to vary, so that not everyone has every car (this is why paint chips are done the way they are: so people will have different colors). Variety seems like a good thing to me. That PD lowered credit amounts is like starting over again is true: they also did not include fast forward in race replays like they didn't originally have it in GT5. Yes they take steps backwards: just because there is a credit sign on something doesn't mean it was influenced by the MT.

2nd Statement: I like lower payouts because payouts should be based on the difficulty level of the race. Easy races or easy golds shouldn't give massive payouts for little to no effort. Less available money means more driving effort must be made with lower-end vehicles. If they want to include huge payouts, they better include huge challenges.

In other words: I see lower credit levels as a result of poor AI and the ease with which players max out their car stats to get easy wins. Most players have no self-restraint. New players/drivers need to learn something about driving and racing which they will never learn if they can always just buy a faster car.

I see many possibilities for lower credit amounts.

I'm sorry for those who cannot see any other possible reason for lowered credit amounts besides the mere existence of MT.

Those who think lower credits is only influenced by MTs presence are using circumstantial evidence as fact. It's a conspiracy theory. Before you can claim MTs is the cause for lower credit amounts, you must disprove all other possible reasons for lower credit amounts.

I don't think GT6 will be around as long as GT5. A lot of people will be moving on to the next gen consoles before the game is complete and all of the bugs fixed and who knows when hacked cars will be showing up online. Credits need to flow freely and fast so people can get their moneys worth from GT6. If that doesn't happen these people may skip GT7.

Wow, the game has been out for less than 2 weeks and we are micro analyzing every aspect of the "game". The many upcoming updates will adjust things to the majority of game players taste. I'm amazed some people actually sleep at night.

I don't think GT6 will be around as long as GT5. A lot of people will be moving on to the next gen consoles before the game is complete and all of the bugs fixed and who knows when hacked cars will be showing up online. Credits need to flow freely and fast so people can get their moneys worth from GT6. If that doesn't happen these people may skip GT7.

Next-Gen has it's own problems thanks to NBA 2K14 know this is off topic, but let's just called 2K14 Micro-transactiongate basically, and from what I'm hearing myself it ironed itself out, but people couldn't play 2K14 offline without being connected on both PS4 and X1(DRM anyone?)

I'm saying all that to say if GT6 doesn't fix this issue just like you said GT7 may not have a chance or a prayer of being as good as even GT6 at this point.

Its not a big deal, everyone is thinking like its a mobile platform where microtransactions are really rampant and grinding is a hassle. Here, PD is giving you the option, Play the game and grind like you always have, or spend your hard earned real money on a video game after you have bought it. I choose the first one. Why? because its how the game has always been played and the microtransactions(as it has been quoted to be) are just optional.

The decision to keep credits low seems to me to be a choice based on trying to keep a challenge in a game where they cannot do it with well-programmed AI.

Which makes little sense and just delays the inevitable. What happens when you reach the highest paying events, which really don't pay enough in comparison to the number of cars and the ridiculously high prices of some of them? You're left with grinding and there's no challenge in that at all, unless the challenge is to see how patient I am, which is not what I bought the game to do.

It also seems like maybe they want people's online cars to vary, so that not everyone has every car (this is why paint chips are done the way they are: so people will have different colors). Variety seems like a good thing to me.

This is just grasping at straws. It's not PD's business to decide what cars people use online.

2nd Statement: I like lower payouts because payouts should be based on the difficulty level of the race. Easy races or easy golds shouldn't give massive payouts for little to no effort. Less available money means more driving effort must be made with lower-end vehicles. If they want to include huge payouts, they better include huge challenges.

Then please explain for why the higher events still don't pay enough in order to acquire the most expensive cars in a reasonable amount of time.

In other words: I see lower credit levels as a result of poor AI and the ease with which players max out their car stats to get easy wins. Most players have no self-restraint. New players/drivers need to learn something about driving and racing which they will never learn if they can always just buy a faster car.

I wonder what the PP limit that every event has is for then....

Back