Help us make the superstar broadcast better

• Thread starter Jimmy B
  • 174 comments
Any chance we could see the telemetry graphics - pedal travel etc on screen? As a fellow player I find that information invaluable for learning.

For those who don't follow Jimmy, his YouTube channel is worth a watch (just mind the language!).

It's really hard to suggest improvements after the incredible show on Saturday. I wish it happened every weekend.

The one thing I would love to see is the actual tyre wear like you see in the game. It was incredible to know that the tyres had done 50 virtual laps at LeSarthe for example, but no way of comparing how say the fronts were doing on the L750's vs the LMP cars, and different drivers styles and incidents affecting certain players more.

That said there was already plenty on the screen already, so perhaps it would be too cluttered but a quick cutaway box in the corner once in a while showing 2 drivers tyre sets next to each other as they battled might be good.

Just watching the first Asia-Oceania regional finals Nations Cup Championships race. The commentary is great! The sound of other commentators talking in the background in Japanese during the race makes it hard to hear clearly at times though.
Plus a full translation of what is being said during driver interviews pre/post race would help to relate to the drivers better.
These events are great to watch!

Last edited:
Any chance we could see the telemetry graphics - pedal travel etc on screen? As a fellow player I find that information invaluable for learning.

For those who don't follow Jimmy, his YouTube channel is worth a watch (just mind the language!).
I use GIMX for this to happen ( www.simulator.asia )

But the process involves a lot of hacks.

Great broadcast last night and the day before too. But if i had a suggestion for next time; is it possible to have the live timing thingy on the left side swap between driver names and what car they're driving? Often times you guys say someones name who isn't on screen and I'm like "wait what car is he in again?" Other than that no real complaints. Can't wait for the European regional finals!

-Let us see what the drivers see! Their camera use, throttle, brake, revs etc :dopey:

-Remove the redundant information! The screen is way overcrowded with floating names, names on the left, names on the bottom right :crazy:

Tell PD to advertise and show the broadcast in game like on GT TV. 600,000 people log onto GTS a week, not having a link of your own championship for your own game is embarrassing

Tell PD to advertise and show the broadcast in game like on GT TV. 600,000 people log onto GTS a week, not having a link of your own championship for your own game is embarrassing
The link pops up in game when you start it up for days during an event. Then in Live Report in Sports Mode sometime later

Just watching the first Asia-Oceania regional finals Nations Cup Championships race. The commentary is great! The sound of other commentators talking in the background in Japanese during the race makes it hard to hear clearly at times though.
Plus a full translation of what is being said during driver interviews pre/post race would help to relate to the drivers better.
These events are great to watch!
This was sorted for the Regional Finals on day 2:tup: Commentary was spot on. Well done! Great races. Had me hooked. Was like watching the real thing. Looking forward to the next event!

Last edited by a moderator:
I only watched the second day on catch-up and the racing was once again excellent. As was the presentation and commentary of course.

I’m sure others have recommendations to improve the race broadcast. But I’d ask for more behind the scenes coverage. I know GT published a short video with Jimmy and he has done one himself for his own channel. I’d really like a series following the drivers, a tour of the city/location, an interview with Kaz. Not necessarily covering GT content but more his general interests and plans.

Tell PD to advertise and show the broadcast in game like on GT TV.

Now there's a name i haven't heard in a long time.

Advertisement needs to come from Sony using their Playstation Youtube Channels,the Nurburgring event had 76.000 viewers on Youtube which is a decent number for a first time event but the Ring event was promoted on the Playstation Youtube Channels,the Red Bull event had no marketing outside of Gran Turismo TV and the Red Bull Social Media,the same is happening with these regional finals,Sony needs to step up their game.

I only watched the second day on catch-up and the racing was once again excellent. As was the presentation and commentary of course.

I’m sure others have recommendations to improve the race broadcast. But I’d ask for more behind the scenes coverage. I know GT published a short video with Jimmy and he has done one himself for his own channel. I’d really like a series following the drivers, a tour of the city/location, an interview with Kaz. Not necessarily covering GT content but more his general interests and plans.

I think that's one of their goals,as each event passes we have more footage from behind the scenes,the behind the scenes video for the Red Bull Event was a step in the right direction

I don't know if it is possible, but I would have liked seeing more telemetry. Seeing how far gone their tires are, depleted their fuel reserves are, what their inputs are and settings like power setting and brakebias would be nice. Furthermore, furthermore knowing the BoP and stats of the cars before the race would be nice, so one could guesstimate how good certain cars are going to be (yesterdays N500 win was no surprise knowing how OP the 911 GT3 991 is).
I realize that providing information about the former could compromise the E-sports aspect of the event if the information is available to all the players at the event, but seeing how the drifting of the NSX at Suzuka chewed up his tires, or seeing kukuban's amazing tire strategy working out would have been amazing.

You could probably use PiP if your adamant on showing everybody cross the finish line. I recall from the A-O finals, first place was ahead by several seconds and while 2 and three were neck and neck going into the final turn the camera stopped following them to watch 1st place cross the finish line. At least we didn't miss a final turn overtaking or anything but one day we will.

It seems every race the camera always shifts focus to something of no importance when other racers are involved in a tight battle.

Also, I probably won't get an answer here, but is there a reason racers can't use their own liveries in the Live Events? I imagine the custom ads could be an issue. I have no problem with most guys in the field using the same vehicle as long as they have different liveries to make them unique.

Hey guys,

My name is Jimmy Broadbent and i'm one of the commentators tasked with calling the superstar races.

At the moment we're in the process of improving the broadcast (keep an eye on the Gran Turismo YouTube channel) and I thought it would be a good idea to reach out to you guys and find out what you'd like see/hear on future race broadcasts.

I know there have been a couple of small issues with some of the races (i tend to get a first hand view) but my goal is to make sure the broadcast is the best it can be, so any help you can give would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

There’s an obvious disconnect between the viewers and the drivers. There are the post race interviews but they are awkward and say very little. Understandably so because players are nervous, English often not their first language, the interviews are very brief etc.

So how about somebody who can bridge that gap between viewer and what’s happening in the driver scene? Somebody who’s fantastic in front of the camera, knows everything about racing, plays GT Sport at a very high level (and many other games), races in real life, is a streamer and is one of the boys? And he brings his audience of 100,000 with with him possibly.

I think most people know who I’m talking about.

Every big sport has a man or woman on scene, giving insight that you can’t get from the commentary box or presenter’s desk. I think SuperGT would great at this.

There’s an obvious disconnect between the viewers and the drivers. There are the post race interviews but they are awkward and say very little. Understandably so because players are nervous, English often not their first language, the interviews are very brief etc.

So how about somebody who can bridge that gap between viewer and what’s happening in the driver scene? Somebody who’s fantastic in front of the camera, knows everything about racing, plays GT Sport at a very high level (and many other games), races in real life, is a streamer and is one of the boys? And he brings his audience of 100,000 with with him possibly.

I think most people know who I’m talking about.

Every big sport has a man or woman on scene, giving insight that you can’t get from the commentary box or presenter’s desk. I think SuperGT would great at this.

I thought that's what Jimmy would do from now on,they already started doing what you're suggesting with this video.

It's nothing big but a good start

The advantage Super GT has compared to Jimmy is that Jimmy doesn't play GTS,he's more of a PCSim racer,but i don't know if both of them are different enough to use in promotion for GT Sport.

P.S:Watched that Super GT video a few hours ago,fantastic ending to that race.

Some "impossible" camera angles put me off. As in, there are no cameramen around (I think), with their equipment on-site, just gliding shots from unplausible and "not there" travelling cameras or "too close" drones. I expected more atention to detail on realistic camera placing and broadcasting. I.e. put the cameras exactly where they put them on the real tracks on real races.

Some "impossible" camera angles put me off. As in, there are no cameramen around (I think), with their equipment on-site, just gliding shots from unplausible and "not there" travelling cameras or "too close" drones. I expected more atention to detail on realistic camera placing and broadcasting. I.e. put the cameras exactly where they put them on the real tracks on real races.

But that's not fun,they are not striving for realistic tv broadcast camera angles,real motorsports broadcast wishes they could put cameras everywhere.PD is simply having fun with the tools videogames provide.

But that's not fun,they are not striving for realistic tv broadcast camera angles,real motorsports broadcast wishes they could put cameras everywhere.PD is simply having fun with the tools videogames provide.

With drone and portable camera tech getting better and better, real life broadcasts are starting to catch up with videogames in terms of camera angles -- you can see the WRC using them for example. I was watching the Rally Finland earlier this year and I was struck by the surreal-feeling sudden transitions from static trackside cameras to free-flying GT-esque cameras moving with the car.

So if the impossible replay cameras in GT bother you, just imagine there's an invisible drone flying where the camera is :sly:

I thought that's what Jimmy would do from now on,they already started doing what you're suggesting with this video.

It's nothing big but a good start

The advantage Super GT has compared to Jimmy is that Jimmy doesn't play GTS,he's more of a PCSim racer,but i don't know if both of them are different enough to use in promotion for GT Sport.

P.S:Watched that Super GT video a few hours ago,fantastic ending to that race.
Yeah I think this would be very different from that, it wouldn't be interviews or pre recorded.

To get the real inside scoop, you can't just stick a microphone at somebody between jumping out of the commentary box.

This person would need to spend a lot of time with drivers(maybe officials and race control too) before, after and during races, constantly be taking the temperature. And relaying that to the viewer.

So if the impossible replay cameras in GT bother you, just imagine there's an invisible drone flying where the camera is :sly:

That tech is impressive, yeah. Thing is, weren't there some drones flying around in GTsport early on? GoPro advertising if I recall right.

Back