Help with tuning Group 2 cars please.

• Thread starter Keras
  • 19 comments
United States
United States
A little bit of backstory so you'll kind of know what I'm dealing with. I've played every GT game that has come out. Spent a lot of time in GT Sport which was kind of a dumbed down version of GT7 in a way. The issue is when I race online, I almost exclusively race on the Nurburgring Nordschieife. I know that track like the back of my hand. I'd venture a guess that I've lapped that track well over 20,000 times since 2004 in games. The only tracks I concentrate on is Nurburgring, Le Mans, and Spa because they are my favorite tracks. The other issue is, I play on a controller. That doesn't bother me because I've perfected the controller to "my" preferences and I've never used a wheel. One because I just don't really want one and two, if I did I don't have the space for a full rig in my office.

I almost strictly run Group 2 cars because I find them to be the most fun. The three cars I run are the GTR Nismo GT500 16, the Lexus RC F GT500, and the NSX Concept-GT. The fastest lap I've turned on Nurburgring is with the NSX at 5:37 and change. That number changes often depending on one of those three cars and how I tune them. But right now the NSX is at the top of "my" board. Respectable time on that track. The issue that I have is gearing. Finding the right gear set for any of those three cars to keep them in that perfect powerband when entering or exiting a corner. Switching back and forth between the graph is clunky and is really no help. But the biggest issue I have with gearing is the top end. I can keep up with most everyone in the corners but once we get to the straights is when they start to pull away. That is where I can't find that perfect balance between cornering speed and the finial drive. I know I'm not doing something right but I just can't put my finger on it. If I change one then the other changes. So either I'm blazing around the track in the corners leaving everyone behind me only to be outrun by someone that is running a faster car in the straights. I can not find that perfect mix of both.

I've run against streamers often and there is a bit of satisfaction knowing that I can keep up with them running full racing rigs while I'm using a $70 controller. But I've raced this guy from England often running the same NSX that I am and he is putting up monster numbers (in a race I might add) at around 5:33 to 5:31. His car is just faster. The only thing I can think of is he has perfected his gearing. I can keep up with him in the corners but he slowly pulls away throughout the race. Once we hit the final back straight it looks as if he has 7-10 mph on me.

Any help on gearing would be appreciated. Switching between the graph and the gear ratios is clunky at best. Trying to keep your car in that perfect powerband has been nothing but trial and error for me. So if anyone has any suggestions on the Nismo GT500 16, the Lexus RC F GT500, or the NSX Concept-GT I'm all ears.

Thank you in advance.

A little bit of backstory so you'll kind of know what I'm dealing with. I've played every GT game that has come out. Spent a lot of time in GT Sport which was kind of a dumbed down version of GT7 in a way. The issue is when I race online, I almost exclusively race on the Nurburgring Nordschieife. I know that track like the back of my hand. I'd venture a guess that I've lapped that track well over 20,000 times since 2004 in games. The only tracks I concentrate on is Nurburgring, Le Mans, and Spa because they are my favorite tracks. The other issue is, I play on a controller. That doesn't bother me because I've perfected the controller to "my" preferences and I've never used a wheel. One because I just don't really want one and two, if I did I don't have the space for a full rig in my office.

I almost strictly run Group 2 cars because I find them to be the most fun. The three cars I run are the GTR Nismo GT500 16, the Lexus RC F GT500, and the NSX Concept-GT. The fastest lap I've turned on Nurburgring is with the NSX at 5:37 and change. That number changes often depending on one of those three cars and how I tune them. But right now the NSX is at the top of "my" board. Respectable time on that track. The issue that I have is gearing. Finding the right gear set for any of those three cars to keep them in that perfect powerband when entering or exiting a corner. Switching back and forth between the graph is clunky and is really no help. But the biggest issue I have with gearing is the top end. I can keep up with most everyone in the corners but once we get to the straights is when they start to pull away. That is where I can't find that perfect balance between cornering speed and the finial drive. I know I'm not doing something right but I just can't put my finger on it. If I change one then the other changes. So either I'm blazing around the track in the corners leaving everyone behind me only to be outrun by someone that is running a faster car in the straights. I can not find that perfect mix of both.

I've run against streamers often and there is a bit of satisfaction knowing that I can keep up with them running full racing rigs while I'm using a $70 controller. But I've raced this guy from England often running the same NSX that I am and he is putting up monster numbers (in a race I might add) at around 5:33 to 5:31. His car is just faster. The only thing I can think of is he has perfected his gearing. I can keep up with him in the corners but he slowly pulls away throughout the race. Once we hit the final back straight it looks as if he has 7-10 mph on me.

Any help on gearing would be appreciated. Switching between the graph and the gear ratios is clunky at best. Trying to keep your car in that perfect powerband has been nothing but trial and error for me. So if anyone has any suggestions on the Nismo GT500 16, the Lexus RC F GT500, or the NSX Concept-GT I'm all ears.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you in advance.
I'm sorry no one has replied. You are far more advanced than I. I wish I could help.

Me too. It seems either no one is interested in Gr. 2 tunes or they just don't care. But I've gotten zero help since I've joined and posted for help many times. Not impressed with the site so far. My thinking was it was supposed to help others. Thank you for the reply though.

Search function?

Attachments

• 7AD61A17-57E3-42C7-82D2-0A868CDE62EA.png
    7AD61A17-57E3-42C7-82D2-0A868CDE62EA.png
    158.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Me too. It seems either no one is interested in Gr. 2 tunes or they just don't care. But I've gotten zero help since I've joined and posted for help many times. Not impressed with the site so far. My thinking was it was supposed to help others. Thank you for the reply though.

The Praianos 2 lexus gt500 tunes are quality. Gobbles up Sardegna where I've used them anyway.assume he's also engineered a Nissan gt500 and others in that bracket...

B80
The Praianos 2 lexus gt500 tunes are quality. Gobbles up Sardegna where I've used them anyway.assume he's also engineered a Nissan gt500 and others in that bracket...
If he has it does not show on the front page.

Looked everywhere in his thread and never saw anything. Just regular tunes for regular cars.
I wasn’t even suggesting Praiano specifically, but yes he does. You really can’t miss it either with how it’s organized…

Or try here:

Or here:

Last edited:
I wasn’t even suggesting Praiano specifically, but yes he does. You really can’t miss it either with how it’s organized…

Or try here:

Or here:
Thanks for the links. I wasn't specifically talking about him either. Obviously there are a lot of tunes organized on his page. Just none that I'm personally looking for. Specifically the Nismo GT 500 16' since that is the car I use most often. And even more specifically a tune for the Nordschieife. I understand that everyone's driving style is different. What I was looking for is a good starting point at gearing since the rest is pretty self explanatory. I race against some friends in Australia often and the Nismo is what we almost exclusively use. Praniano doesn't even have a tune for that car (unless I missed it which is very possible). But it took me racing them to even learn about "flipping the gears". Then to add to some of the frustration I'm having right now... I don't know if there was a undisclosed patch with the last update but I've changed absolutely nothing on my best tune where I could consistently get around the track in the 5:29-5:30 range with no issue. Now??? I'm running 4 secs. slower and I've changed nothing and I'm taking the exact same lines at the exact same speed with a slower time. I would normally say that I'm having a bad day on the track and just take a break and come back later. But that isn't the case. I can come back the next day and I "might" be able to run a 5:33 which is 4 secs off my best time. And I "know" the car can go faster. I have set up a seperate tuning sheet to try different tunes (which is where this thread comes in) but it doesn't seem to matter what I do. It's still 5:33 or maybe even slower. So I'm not sure what is going on which is why I have asked the question of why my car is slower and what gearing is best for that track (again) since I had / have it set up perfectly for Nurburgring. It's frustrating to say the least.

B80
What I am (and have been) specifically asking is for help with tuning for Nurburgring Nordschleife. One of those tunes you posted isn't even the Lexus I was talking about and the other is specifically built with Sardinia in mind. I have made multiple mentions of the Nordschleife in my posts. I do not care about the other tracks as I "only" run Nordschieife since it is one of (if not) the most demanding tracks in the world. That tune does nothing for me. I'm asking specifically for help with gearing for that track and that track only. Not trying to be argumentative but I have repeated this statement many times. I "do not" need a tune for a track I'm not going to run.

Let me be more specific. I "really" don't want a tune for the Lexus (though I would get around to tuning it one day). I run the GT-R Nismo GT500 '16 90% of the time on Nurburgring. Let me repeat that. The GT-R Nismo '16. Not a regular GTR Nismo and not the GT-R Nismo GT3 13'. And with the tune I'm running I also run the high RPM Turbo for max power so I can compete with the others I run against. By the way... They are running full racing rigs and I'm still able to keep up with them and have a close race. That puts my total HP at 839.

I know there will be a debate that the last update did nothing to the speed or physics of the cars but I will always fall on the side that they did "something". I am not running the track any differently than I ever have and I am now on average 3 secs. slower than I was with my fastest tune. I "do not" count the 5:28 that I ran in a race because I was able to take advantage of the draft in a few parts of the track. But my fast speed on a closed track with the Nismo is 5:30 and change. I have not changed one thing on that tune and now I'm 3 secs. slower. Hell... If I change anything on that tune, it may jump up to 5:35 or greater which is unacceptable. I race with the dualsense since I do not have the room in my office for a full racing rig. But they changed "something" I don't care what anyone says. I run with no driver assists with the exception of ABS and Traction Control on 1. No driving lines, no braking zones, no nothing. I've made thousands of laps around that track that I know it like the back of my hand and can put the car wherever I want it.

What I'm asking for, is there "any" gear tunes out there specifically for the Nordschleife that I am unaware of. Since the update I have duplicated my tune sheet and nothing (and I do mean nothing) is faster no mater what I try.

I wish I would have put the camera on the front of the car for the replay on this run. But this was before the update and the very next lap I surpassed this time by more than another second.

This exact same car with this exact same tune running this exact same line is now 3 secs. slower.

Last edited:
What I am (and have been) specifically asking is for help with tuning for Nurburgring Nordschleife. One of those tunes you posted isn't even the Lexus I was talking about and the other is specifically built with Sardinia in mind. I have made multiple mentions of the Nordschleife in my posts. I do not care about the other tracks as I "only" run Nordschieife since it is one of (if not) the most demanding tracks in the world. That tune does nothing for me. I'm asking specifically for help with gearing for that track and that track only. Not trying to be argumentative but I have repeated this statement many times. I "do not" need a tune for a track I'm not going to run.

Let me be more specific. I "really" don't want a tune for the Lexus (though I would get around to tuning it one day). I run the GT-R Nismo GT500 '16 90% of the time on Nurburgring. Let me repeat that. The GT-R Nismo '16. Not a regular GTR Nismo and not the GT-R Nismo GT3 13'. And with the tune I'm running I also run the high RPM Turbo for max power so I can compete with the others I run against. By the way... They are running full racing rigs and I'm still able to keep up with them and have a close race. That puts my total HP at 839.

I know there will be a debate that the last update did nothing to the speed or physics of the cars but I will always fall on the side that they did "something". I am not running the track any differently than I ever have and I am now on average 3 secs. slower than I was with my fastest tune. I "do not" count the 5:28 that I ran in a race because I was able to take advantage of the draft in a few parts of the track. But my fast speed on a closed track with the Nismo is 5:30 and change. I have not changed one thing on that tune and now I'm 3 secs. slower. Hell... If I change anything on that tune, it may jump up to 5:35 or greater which is unacceptable. I race with the dualsense since I do not have the room in my office for a full racing rig. But they changed "something" I don't care what anyone says. I run with no driver assists with the exception of ABS and Traction Control on 1. No driving lines, no braking zones, no nothing. I've made thousands of laps around that track that I know it like the back of my hand and can put the car wherever I want it.

What I'm asking for, is there "any" gear tunes out there specifically for the Nordschleife that I am unaware of. Since the update I have duplicated my tune sheet and nothing (and I do mean nothing) is faster no mater what I try.

I wish I would have put the camera on the front of the car for the replay on this run. But this was before the update and the very next lap I surpassed this time by more than another second.

This exact same car with this exact same tune running this exact same line is now 3 secs. slower.

Umm, sorry chief, understand your frustrations. Hopefully someone here can shed further light on this. Plus we have incoming update this week don't we. PD seems to need in the habit of making undocumented tweaks here and there, going by the appropriately named thread after each change release...

Thank you. I watched that originally when I was trying to figure out the gears since you cant overlay a graph along with your gear ratios. The suspension is easy enough to figure out. The gearing? Not so much. It just turns into trial and error. And since the Nurburgring is almost 13 miles long? It takes me about 5 and a half mins to know if I've improved the gearing. But I've narrowed it down to two areas of the track sections so I don't have to run the entire track to know if what I've done is going to be enough for a faster lap. Coming out of the first section if I'm at 31 secs. or lower then I know I'm going in the right direction. After running the Foxhole after that, passing under the bridge if I'm at 1:01 then I'm also going in the right direction. Anything higher than those two numbers? Reset. No use in wasting the rest of the lap only to find out that I'm a couple secs. slower even though I can make up good time on the back sections where it really gets technical.

I hear you, I wish there was a way to adjust settings on the fly for tuning purposes. Obviously not for official paying races, but in Time Trials or something like that. I take a lot of ‘dry runs’ trying to dial stuff in for various tweaks to my cars. It gets tiresome loading and backing out of races just to change a spoiler for instance.

You're not giving some necessary informations to someone who wants to help. At least you posted later that you're using the high RPM turbo.
I'm assuming you're on soft tires. I gave it a go on the time trial mode, just like the lap you posted.

For me, if you're losing on the straight, you're running more downforce (especifically rear wing) than the other guy. As you didn't say the speed you're reaching, it's difficult for someone to help you.

Anyway, my lap was 5.27 but with mistakes. I can do a 5.26 lap.

Setup:
Suspension
40/50 (min/min)
8/2
40/40
30/50
4.50/3.50
0.0/0.5
/\ 0.05 / \/0.35

LSD
5/5/5

Downforce
750/1025

Transmission
the racing one, just set 340 on the maximum speed (yeah, I don't think it matters much)

Set the anti-lag system to Strong.

Brake balance on 0.

You're not giving some necessary informations to someone who wants to help. At least you posted later that you're using the high RPM turbo.
I'm assuming you're on soft tires. I gave it a go on the time trial mode, just like the lap you posted.

For me, if you're losing on the straight, you're running more downforce (especifically rear wing) than the other guy. As you didn't say the speed you're reaching, it's difficult for someone to help you.

Anyway, my lap was 5.27 but with mistakes. I can do a 5.26 lap.

Setup:
Suspension
40/50 (min/min)
8/2
40/40
30/50
4.50/3.50
0.0/0.5
/\ 0.05 / \/0.35

LSD
5/5/5

Downforce
750/1025

Transmission
the racing one, just set 340 on the maximum speed (yeah, I don't think it matters much)

Set the anti-lag system to Strong.

Brake balance on 0.

That was very interesting watching your laps compared to mine. Your tune is quite different than mine but obviously works very well. Great laps my friend. That was fun to watch. It was really interesting seeing your braking points and where you slow down more than I do on certain parts of the track that I can pretty much keep my foot in without lifting. That is not a criticism on you so please don't take it that way. You are obviously faster than I am with that tune.

Thank you very much for that information. You are correct that I didn't give all the information about what I am running until much later like the HP Turbo (set to strong) like you mentioned. That is my fault. And yes I am also running soft tires.

Are you running a full rig or a dualsense out of curiosity? My tune is quite different than yours.

Here is my tune. Obviously completely different than yours as far as the suspension is concerned. But somehow I'm able to put the car exactly where I want it without scrubbing off speed.

So, here's where things really get different with your tune compared to mine. I noticed that when you are in 6th you have it set up to run in the perfect rev range. Going through the Foxhole and the final straight you are not hitting the rev limiter. You're right on the edge but in that perfect power band for that car.

So this is how my gears are set up. They are basically flipped. If you look at the max speed of 260 kph (161 mph) on the chart you would think that won't work. But if you dig into the gearing you will notice that 6th is 340 kph which it theoretically can not hit but all the gears put together put it into the perfect rev range for coming out of the corners. That puts my top speed in the section leading up to the Foxhole at 207 mph (333 kph) and depending on the wind direction coming down the back straight? Around 203 and change.

On the corner leading up to the Foxhole as I cross under that bridge is really my second point of reference of how well this tune is going to work. If I'm at 1:00-1:01 I'll keep on with the lap because I know I can make up, or at the very least keep the speed that I need to be running since I love that part of the track.

Thank you once again for the video and information. It is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Back