Here's Why Bathurst is One of the Best Tracks in the World

Best article on gtplanet in recent memory, thank you.
It's always been my favorite track, in fact I'm constantly in the S397 server practicing.
Marcel Offermans was racing this past weekend with us at Bathurst it was brilliant running with the man in charge of rF2.
He is quite quick, I was running 2:07s in the Aston, he was pushing high 2:05s.

I love bathurst. One of the best ways to get me to play GTS is daily GT3s on bathurst. Its just so thrilling. It, along with bathurst, remind me of something out of an arcade racer; almost ever corner is a multitasking challenge, cornering, braking, coasting and accelerating all within one second of driving. I managed a 2:01.4 last time it was up on GT3, and considering I rarely play the game I was pretty proud of that time.

Last edited:
If anyone gets the chance, visit the real road. Not that the game doesn't show the realness of the blind corners and the concrete walls. It's more about driving at the road legal limit and coming to grips with cars doing three to four times the 60km/h limit! I was driving under 60km/h taking in "how?". From the classic Touring Car Masters(TCM) muscle cars to Supercars to GT3, it IS insane to drive those cars that fast... and in packs!... following bumper to bumper!... and sometimes in the dark! Drivers may be brave, but they respect the mountain.

What I've never understood about Bathurst is why half its length is rectangular. The good stuff is a wild drive, but the rest is like waiting in line for another turn on the rollercoaster, particularly in a sim racing context.

I absolutely adore it as a circuit, it's one of the few that I can seem to get consistently fairly good times on. I just love how the car will sink into that turn at the bottom of The Dipper and will give you a bit of extra grip. It feels like you're playing a Wipeout game.

Only keen on GT (and wipeout but it’s not really the place), i only discovered bathurst when gt sport retailed.i can now agree with this thread; it’s in my top3 now. So damn good vibs already in sim racing. Can’t imagine how terrifying it must be IRL

What I've never understood about Bathurst is why half its length is rectangular. The good stuff is a wild drive, but the rest is like waiting in line for another turn on the rollercoaster, particularly in a sim racing context.

It's a street circuit. When it's not race weekend it's an open road with a 60kph speed limit and crawling with cops. Another thing it's missing is kangaroos.

It's a street circuit. When it's not race weekend it's an open road with a 60kph speed limit and crawling with cops. Another thing it's missing is kangaroos.
A circuit partly made up of a public road, or a circuit that is opened to the public? The Nordschleife or Circuit Gilles de Villeneuve are opened to public traffic, but the Nordschleife is not really a "road" and CGdV is not really a "street".

A circuit partly made up of a public road, or a circuit that is opened to the public? The Nordschleife or Circuit Gilles de Villeneuve are opened to public traffic, but the Nordschleife is not really a "road" and CGdV is not really a "street".
A circuit entirely made up of public roads. Like @CapraKiwi said when it's not being used, it's got a 60km speed limit and is absolutely swamped with police, due to the number of thrill seekers who would love to go blasting down Conrod straight in their daily.

In fact, drive a lap on any sim and you should be able to spot most of the blocked off streets, driveways and access roads.

Partly made up of a public road. If you look at for example the Bathurst 12 hour schedule, there are the slots where the close and open the roads.

I reckon it adds to the trickiness. Spotting a braking point after a huge straight is always tricky, even more so when you're side by side and trying to outbrake another car! Also the speed difference between the twisty bits and the fast bits can be pretty disorienting if you're not used to it. No one ever criticized La Sarthe for being boring despite half its length being straights, because at the end of any straight is always a corner ;)

I've always loved Bathurst since TOCA on PS1. 99% of my racing in that game was done on that track :lol: So much so that when I drove the much more accurate version in GRID Autosport and GT6 many years later, I felt immediately at home. The esses at the top of the mountain has such great flow and always a great help to close down on my opponents.

It's a nice change of pace,otherwise the track would be overwhelming,one lap full of twists and tight turns that never end.

Back