Holy Cow 1.6 Billion Powerball

NocturnalPS

?¿That's Odd?¿
Staff Emeritus
United States
Tx, Alamo City
XRaptor529
I do not play the lotto very much. But at this kind of cash to be won, why the hell not! Oh one can only dream. Thoughts?

The bigger the price, the lesser chance to win.

Not quite. The odds are the same, but you've got a bigger chance that you'll have to split the pot with all these extra people playing.

It gets into slightly funny math because whether it's actually a winning strategy to buy a ticket depends on how many other tickets are sold. But it's probably close enough that it's worth buying a ticket, although I wouldn't go nuts. Normal odds are a bit under 300 million to 1, so as long as the pot only splits in half it's still viable.

The news yesterday said that 75% of all numbers would be picked, if anyone here wins I'd be more than happy to send you a dollar to split with you:idea:

The bigger the price, the lesser chance to win.

Not quite. The odds are the same, but you've got a bigger chance that you'll have to split the pot with all these extra people playing.

It gets into slightly funny math because whether it's actually a winning strategy to buy a ticket depends on how many other tickets are sold. But it's probably close enough that it's worth buying a ticket, although I wouldn't go nuts. Normal odds are a bit under 300 million to 1, so as long as the pot only splits in half it's still viable.

Also the more numbers you have to pick/choose from, the less chance you have of winning. By a colossal exponential.

So, if I understood it correctly there are five white balls drawn from a drum containing 69 balls, and one red ball drawn from a drum containing 26 balls.

To win the jackpot you need to match all white balls and the red ball (in any order).

So the chance of winning the jackpot then should be:

5/69 x 4/68 x 3/67 x 2/66 x 1/65 x 1/26 = 1 / 292 million.

Good luck :D

So, if I understood it correctly there are five white balls drawn from a drum containing 69 balls, and one red ball drawn from a drum containing 26 balls.

To win the jackpot you need to match all white balls and the red ball (in any order).

7c687debe61f4b5aca1f1465811bbd05.jpg

Indeed :lol:

In fact, if you can pick the numbers yourself you can guarantee yourself a win by buying 292 million tickets and cover every possible outcome. It will cost you just under $ 600 million at $2 per ticket, but at least you'd be winning (or sharing) the jackpot, and if there are no more than two winners sharing the jackpot you'll have a nice little profit :)

Hey always a chance if you play $2 or what was it $500,000+? Better chances then not playing at all.

Lotteries are a tax on ignorance.

The cost of a ticket is negligible. I think it's all in how you play. If you happen to have annoying pocket change, I can't say throwing it at a ticket is a waste given the immense return potential.

Thoughts?

Way too much money.

0.1% of 1,300,000,000 is enough.

There is no such thing as too much money. Anything finite will eventually run out. The good news with this kind of money though is that you could live off interest on it alone.

The cost of a ticket is negligible. I think it's all in how you play. If you happen to have annoying pocket change, I can't say throwing it at a ticket is a waste given the immense return potential.

There is no such thing as too much money. Anything finite will eventually run out. The good news with this kind of money though is that you could live off interest on it alone.
It was personal. For me personal 1,3 billion is way too much money. I have no need for that kind of money.

I really want the payout to be listed $1.3 billion dollars* because people don't realize that you will lose quite a bit of the money to taxes. It's state dependent but the payout could be anywhere between 650 million to 900 million. Also, it goes by the state you have residency in so you can't pull a fast one.

I am 8,111 times more likely to be killed by a sharp object (even if I avoid sharp objects) than winning the powerball. On the other hand, I am 1,000 times more likely to win the powerball than if I were blindfolded and forced to hit specific star on a map that showed every single star in the Milky Way with a dart.

It was personal. For me personal 1,3 billion is way too much money. I have no need for that kind of money.
Well if anything, the bigger the prize, the more people you can give the unwanted money to. You could support a charity, you could found a charity. You could pay for the remodeling of every house on your street whether you know the owner or not. $1.3 billion could be spent in a day I think, and it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

I gladly take the majority if it. I know what I'd do with a billion dollars, including tons of charity programs and science stuff.

If I bought the Dolphins I'd be poorer than I am now, and I'm broke.

If I bought the Dolphins I'd be poorer than I am now, and I'm broke.
Isn't JLo still part owner? You could marry her and.... I have no idea where this is going.

Thoughts?

Way too much money.

0.1% of 1,300,000,000 is enough.

If it makes you feel any better you end up with about a third of it after taxes and opting to take it in all one lump sum.

I never play the lottery, even when a big draw comes up I'm not really tempted because all the extra people buying will make it even harder to win. I have never won anything else in my life and it's made me pretty cynical about my luck!

Yesterday the biggest ever UK jackpot of £66 million pounds was won by 2 people and you pay no tax on it here. But the cheeky lottery people recently made it much more difficult to win because they increased the number of balls therefore making the chance of winning thousands of times lower.

If you give a class on this telling them they have no chance you make it easier for us idiots to win! Please do it! :lol:

It's $2 for a few hours of wondering "what if?" and if you do win it's an amazing investment.

I see your point though considering there are lots of people that go crazy with it and spend hundreds on it.

I agree - baiting a line with two buck's worth of wormfood and not hooking anything is one thing. Pawning your car to buy a whole whack of tickets is another.

Back