Honda Civic - 10th/11th Generation

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 641 comments
Hard to say, honestly. Considering that the gap between the outgoing car and the new one wasn't nearly as much as I had expected, I think it'd largely be a game of what kind of equipment Honda decides to make standard. Assuming the Si is basically an EX-T with a stick, there's a good chance that it hovers right around $23.5-24k to start, and will probably jump north of $25k when you add things like Honda Sense, leather, and all that jazz.
Don't forget to add on a different, more powerful engine all together. It's always been the case for Si variants. If the base is starting darn well near 20k, then an Si would more then likely jump into the that range. When I got my 07 Si some years ago, I believe the MSRP was around 22-23k, while the most basic one was just around 17k.

Don't forget to add on a different, more powerful engine all together. It's always been the case for Si variants. If the base is starting darn well near 20k, then an Si would more then likely jump into the that range. When I got my 07 Si some years ago, I believe the MSRP was around 22-23k, while the most basic one was just around 17k.
So would that mean we would be looking in at about 25-26k? Oh god if it's somewhere along 30k I couldn't even.

Random input here, but I wonder how much better this new Civic is compared to the '15 model, because the one I drove a couple weeks ago was a pile. Among 5 cars I drove that day, it was by far the worst one of the lot.

Random input here, but I wonder how much better this new Civic is compared to the '15 model, because the one I drove a couple weeks ago was a pile. Among 5 cars I drove that day, it was by far the worst one of the lot.

What didn't you like about it? Remember, the '15 is built on 10 year old technology.

Well, here are my thoughts after checking out a '16 EX (w/o Honda Sensing) today.

12241729_820495319421_1026767851376894086_n.jpg

Overall, I'd say this is the best looking Civic we've had, inside and out, since the EP hatch more than a decade ago. The front is aggressive, and gives it a look that's very different from a lot of its compact competitors (a plus), but I do think it looks a bit too much like the larger Accord from the front and side. I think the divisive thing for a lot of people will be the back. So far, it seems that it'll be something like when the Stingray first came out, the color will likely determine your preferences. On the inside, I'd give the overall style and layout a 9/10, colors are a bit too dark for my taste on the black/gray interior I had, and while the tan improves it a bit, I'd be curious to know where the gray/gray goes (they didn't have one with that choice - yet). Overall quality on the cabin was quite good, plenty of soft touch plastics where your hands and eyes will be most, only real cheap bits are on the rear door panels. Back up front, the gauges are modern and light up in a way that make them look interesting, although I'd be curious to know how different it looks at night with the numbers back-lit, along with the buttons and knobs.

Speaking of knobs, I've heard people complain about the lack of a radio knob, and I don't think its entirely justified. The capacitive touch sensors on the wheel to control volume and so on works exceptionally well, and while I think the seek function could use and overhaul when doing it from Honda's head unit, it isn't as though its the worst thing ever. The head unit does both Android Auto and Apple Car Play, and I didn't get to try either today. I might go back just to see, but from everything I've seen/read, its what you'd expect depending on your preferred OS (sorry Windows users). The audio was quite good in the cabin, with pretty well placed speakers in the EX balancing things out nicely around you. With the volume turned down, there wasn't much wind or road noise that you'd normally expect with a compact - Less than a Subaru Impreza or the Scion iM, the Ford Focus as well. I'd be curious to know how it compares to the upcoming Chevrolet Cruze.

As far as the driving is concerned, I think the Civic strikes a nice balance that a lot of its competitors lack. The ride is tight enough for you know where bumps and cracks are, but they don't shake things up in the car as they do in most cars. It isn't as well damped as the Scion iM, but, the Civic feels things much better. I get where the reviewers are saying that there is a "dead" on center feel, but the steering overall is weighted nicely (maybe a little lighter than I'd like, but I'm also driving a 16 year old sports car) and is very communicative with what's going on beneath you. I think part of that goes down to the tires, which seem to have good lateral grip while still being designed for fuel economy... But there is room for improvement. All around, its a very good sign for the Si and the Type-R in the US.

The mechanical bits are surprising as well. The one I drove had the N/A 2.0L matched with the CVT, and overall, its a package that works together in a way that I didn't expect. The 2.0L has the typical Honda howl you'd expect, but it really doesn't become evident unless you're running it hard. Between 1,200-3,000 RPM where most people are going to keep it, its quiet and comfortable, with a good bit of torque that the 1.8L absolutely did not have. The CVT impressed me as well, doing a much better job of "faking it" than most other modern CVTs I've used. I'm betting that if I handed it off to someone who didn't know, they still wouldn't. The car does have a Sport mode, which seems to hold RPMs much longer to get things going. Not sure if its that much better for passing, but, it did seem to do the job well when merging onto a busy highway. I'll probably head back and drive one with a stick when they get one in, but they aren't expecting one for a while.

Overall Pros:
  • Stellar value in the segment given its resale value and usual quality/dependability ratings
  • More European ride/handling balance puts the Civic in a comfortable place between the Mazda 3 and Ford Focus
  • Low, long, and wide makes it seem like a much bigger and much more practical car
  • Fuel economy is crazy-good
Overall Cons:
  • A lot of cool features are locked away in higher trims, which quickly run the price up the flagpole
  • No 6MT in the EX is a mistake in my book
  • Standard Honda infotainment system is just not competitive in the segment
  • Burdened with the last two generations of outright bad Civics, not "hip" like the Mazda 3 anymore
I think for me, its really a matter of what I value most when being behind the wheel... On the one hand, I'd hate to give up driving stick, but sticking with that part of the equation cuts you off from so much good stuff the Honda can have. On the other hand, in order to get the one or two things you'd want on an EX, the price jumps up by $2000. We did run the numbers on both for me this afternoon, and on a lease with a relatively small amount down, its about $25 that separates the LX and EX per month. I think people like me are going to really have to consider how much that Android Auto, moonroof, Lane Watch, rims, remote car start, and so on are worth.

Oh, and one other thing. If you like the typical black/gray/silver color schemes, that's going to be most of what you see for a while. White and red will be in the mix too for the earlier cars, but, its going to be a good bit before the burgundy and electric blue show up at dealers. Perfect for me since I'm already willing to wait, but bad news if you've got your heart set on those "different" colors as of now.

Last edited:
I'm a purist who couldn't care less about the extra creature comforts that come with going up-level.

I just want the option to pair the 1.5T with a 6MT. Honda really screwed up there.

Part of me is guessing that, eventually, Honda will offer the 1.5T with the 6MT. I don't know if that'd end up being the Si, or if they'd do some kind of inbetween model, but it makes too much sense to ignore it.

Part of me is guessing that, eventually, Honda will offer the 1.5T with the 6MT. I don't know if that'd end up being the Si, or if they'd do some kind of inbetween model, but it makes too much sense to ignore it.
It may show up if the demand is strong enough.

So, let's make it look like an old hatchback coupe thing and it's not actually a hatchback coupe thing? I don't get why they would make the butt so short and not actually make it a hatchback. And I also don't get all these new cars with these hard edges and large open spaces if they are just going to fill them with even uglier black plastic which is hard to clean and will fade in a few years.

So, let's make it look like an old hatchback coupe thing and it's not actually a hatchback coupe thing? I don't get why they would make the butt so short and not actually make it a hatchback. And I also don't get all these new cars with these hard edges and large open spaces if they are just going to fill them with even uglier black plastic which is hard to clean and will fade in a few years.
Yeah, reminds me of the Acura.

Regardless of how big the the trunk actually is, the tiny opening will basically screw everything up.

Well, I really like it.

I feel like the "language" of the rear works much better on the coupe than it does on the sedan, but I'd certainly be curious to see how it looks in person. I'd also care to know how long those doors actually are, as the Civic is much longer in person than you'd think. Oh, and can we get those wheels as an option on the sedan? That'd be great.

It's like someone with facial features too big for their head, but also with tiny little ears.
"That girl would be pretty hot if her forehead wasn't massive."

Why does this car have dual mufflers at the back? This is an economy car. Are they looking for ways to make their economy car heavier?

Why does this car have dual mufflers at the back? This is an economy car. Are they looking for ways to make their economy car heavier?

Especially as they're largely out of sight below the rear bumper line and down turned like a diesel (is it a diesel?)

I'm not especially liking this current design language of the exagerated curves echoing the wheel arches five or six inches below. The Juke suffers from this too. It only serves to either illustrate how small the wheels are, or just visually shink what are actually normal sized ones.

Unless it is producing more power then any of the offered models, I wouldn't really expect the Si to fall into that. It would likely be an in-between model if it was offered. While the Si's still try to go along with it's fuel efficient ways, it was always the most powerful/fastest/sport oriented among the line-up.

I don't hate this new gen, but I feel if it was elongated a bit, it would look much better. The rear slopes down a bit to much for my liking, as if it wanted to be a hatchback, but changed last minute.

Well then it looks like I'm buying one next year 👍 Unless of course, the Si doesn't cost more than $3,000 more and has 20-40 more horses.
I would imagine that being a likely scenario. The current gen EX-L sits at the same price as a base Si. With the next EX-L sitting at $24,700(according to google) I would hope that the same would happen this gen, or atleast stay within $1,000-2,000 from the EX-L price.

I am sort of in possession of one of these right now. First impression, I won't get used to the styling, ever. The interior quality is nice, and the overall shape of the dashboard is pleasing to the eyes, but to me the car has the same old Honda "blah" feeling. But not nearly has blah as sitting in say, a Toyota Camry.

As far as driving impressions, will have to update later. Only drove it at parking lot speeds to start, and with the weather the way it is here right now, I may not even get another chance to drive it since I have to give it up on Thursday.

Back