Honda Civic - 10th/11th Generation

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 641 comments
After the 4 series grilles, everything else doesn't look so bad.
It's got me worried that we're in for a future of really hideous cars. Teslas are pretty at least. Mazdas. Never thought I'd see the day when the Nissan Sentra was one of the smarter looking compact cars @R1600Turbo

I think it vaguely looks like a scaled down Dodge Charger.
It loses all of that when you get within ten feet and it begins to look like Unkar Plutt. Its headlights are literally sunken six inches behind its unibrow.

5afda2a9e988ef6d058b4d2f

Allow this to illustrate the difference between a good looking face and the new Honda Civic:

mazda honda comparison.png

It also has the wheels of a 2016 Subaru Legacy.

Last edited:
I forgot to post the TFL video:

I personally would also get the Mazda, hands down. Much prettier, more cozy - I'm 5-10 and 170, I don't need a lot of space - and more sporty than the Honda. Perhaps the higher performance versions of the Civic would sway me but Mazda really ticks the boxes of an enthusiast.

I still can't get over/unsee that horrible hood shut line on the new Civic. How did that make it to production? It makes the car look like it comes with a salvage title from the factory...Aside from the front edge of it, the sides of the hood are awful too, makes it look like like a 2" thick slab of metal dropped on the front of the car. I realize this move is becoming more common, but I don't think I've seen it as bad as on the new civic. I was not a fan of the previous gen car by any stretch, but at least it was reasonably well detailed... :crazy:

And I agree with @Keef assessment of the unibrow. This car's front end is just a mess.

6MUNXmL.jpg

I feel like that hood shut line might have something to do with the quality of forming the plastic bumper, or the structural rigidity of it. For example, NA Miatas are notorious for their front bumpers sagging over time, and even the best examples still have subpar fitment. But that car was designed 30 years ago so surely you can expect design mistakes or age to be a factor.

I'll have to take a close look at the one in my parking lot. This line didn't catch my attention when I looked at it previously. I doubt it's very visible from an eye-level view up close - once again, TFL's photo was taken further away and from a lower perspective than an actual human would view the car in a parking lot.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Si stacks up. The cargo capacity and extra room in the cabin is a plus for the Civic.

I saw a Mazda 3 hatch in white today. Can't say the design is perfect either. It's got a bit of a snout and the sedan looks better overall.

From some angles it looks pretty sharp, pretty athletic. From other angles it looks kind of whale-like. Ultimately, I think the previous gen 3 was better overall. I honestly think the Corolla Sedan is the best looking car in this segment right now, it's just so tidy.

I personally adore the 3 hatch. White is definitely its worst color. White isn't a good color on any car because it flattens all the body contours.

That said, I saw another Civic sedan the other day. I was driving next to it for like 5 minutes and didn't even notice it until I glanced at a stoplight. Totally boring, nothing interesting about it at all from the rear. The more I see them the more I'm convinced it's a terrible direction for Honda and that the previous Civic's exterior was much better. It actually had an identity and presence.

The Civic and Corolla have officially traded places. Sad!

Last edited:

Did an edit...

T4DYpZ0.jpg

Now take a gander underneath the rear and tell me what you see.

xRqhXE8.jpg

Buddy those blue lines are damn near the same length and the both point to a round thing right in the center of the rear wheels.

And when viewed from the side, the SH-AWD diff does have a rounded cap on either side.

shawd rear diff.jpg

Last edited:
For me the past three generations of the Civic have been a case of "omg wtf is that?!" and then as time goes on realise that actually it doesn't look half bad.

This looks inoffensive and therein lies the problem. It's not shouting "Look at me! I'm here!"

Fingers crossed for the Type R.

Meh. New cars just not doing it for me these days. No desire to purchase anything.
Besides the fact that buying a new car is one of the worst financial decisions you'll make your entire life when there are numerous perfectly good used cars for 1/2 off or less.

That said, if this thing is actually AWD I think it's going to be a very serious car. I also think the new design language might actually work in this car's favor, something the lower specs can't say. Subaru has gone and ruined everything we ever loved and Mitsubishi doesn't exist anymore so Honda finally pulled their heads out of their ass and did the damn thing (hopefully). Now it's Mazda's turn. They make the prettiest cars on the market, they just need to make them the pretty and fast.

Is this image evidence that the CTR is not AWD? The wheels are missing their centercaps and the front and rear appear to have different things going on in the hubs. The front appear to have an axle stub in them while the rear do not. In fact the rear seems to have an uncapped empty hole as you would expect on the rear hub of a front-drive car.

2023-Honda-Civic-Type-R-12-Carscoops.jpg

2023-Honda-Civic-Type-R-13-Carscoops.jpg

PA36017299_4547a5.jpg

^ That is a previous-gen Civic rear assembly but that's typical of all FWD cars. Below is the rear hub of an AWD CRV:

52210-t1w-a00-honda-crv-rear-right-spindle-knuckle-hub-assembly-awd-52210-t1w-a00-oem-15-16-260140404.jpeg

You can obviously see where the axle stub and castle nut would poke out to nearly the hub mating surface and would be clearly visible through the wheel's center hole.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of this car. It just seems like Honda really came out with a great everyday hatchback. Some of the design could be improved, but I can't really see anything else that could be done better. Hopeful wishing would be to have a more powerful naturally aspirated option.

Hoping that Honda sells at least as many as they need to not turn this into a crossover.

I love everything about it, but my main gripe is the design of the hatch. It's trying too much to look like a sedan by having a really sloped rear window so it just looks kinda lumpy. I wish it looked more like a wagon or had more classic hatch shape

1634425617285.png

Is this image evidence that the CTR is not AWD? The wheels are missing their centercaps and the front and rear appear to have different things going on in the hubs. The front appear to have an axle stub in them while the rear do not. In fact the rear seems to have an uncapped empty hole as you would expect on the rear hub of a front-drive car.

View attachment 1085106
View attachment 1085105
PA36017299_4547a5.jpg

^ That is a previous-gen Civic rear assembly but that's typical of all FWD cars. Below is the rear hub of an AWD CRV:

52210-t1w-a00-honda-crv-rear-right-spindle-knuckle-hub-assembly-awd-52210-t1w-a00-oem-15-16-260140404.jpeg

You can obviously see where the axle stub and castle nut would poke out to nearly the hub mating surface and would be clearly visible through the wheel's center hole.
Never expected it to be AWD.

The interior is easiest the best part of the car. The vent design is perfect. I wish the screen was set further back and more integrated like the Mazda 3 though

Now I just need to convince Nissan to bring back the SE-R badge to compete with this. It can be done, do they want to put in the effort is the question.

Now I just need to convince Nissan to bring back the SE-R badge to compete with this. It can be done, do they want to put in the effort is the question.
You're talking about the company with a 13 year old halo car, and a 16 year old pickup & 12 year old sportscar that are just being replaced... I know you work for them and all, but effort's pretty much been thrown out the window ages ago.

And besides, an SE-R with a CVT?
Season 4 No GIF by The Office

Back