Honda Fan Club - under new management

• Thread starter THE ED3
  • 4,581 comments
THE ED3
If I dont work tomorrow I'll be buying the bulbs I need. Should just be about $20. I think I may have needed to replace them anyway without noticing it...

I might try to find some clear corners as well. I'm not really a fan of the orange/clear spilt of the stock ones.

Check EBay after you price them at the local shops. You can usually find them for a quarter of the price. Just make sure you check their comments and rating to know that your getting a quality product.

Sorry to double post, but i'll revive this thread a bit.

After seeing the new Honda Fit, whats everybodies take on it? Sporty 5 door hatch, or grandma's grocery getter?
Think we'll ever see it in North America? If its already in the US, sorry, we're still missing it from our Honda line up here in Canada.

I checked it out on the honda website, doesnt seem too bad, looks kind of sporty but at the same time it is a grocery getter. It has lots of different "modes" for the interior which makes it very versatile in terms of room and transporting large objects (ie surfboards). But "features" like this arent going to sell a car. Has a 1.5litre VTEC engine making around 105 horesepower and also has a sporty model with extras such as bodykit spoiler fog lights 15" alloys etc etc.

Overall it probably isnt a bad car, I wouldnt get one but maybe the girls will take to it more :)

I would buy one for sure. I think its a decent looking little car and its actually pretty light for being a modern Honda.

When it finaly does come over here to the states they had damn well better put in a K20 like mugen did or they will lose out big time on sales to younger men.

I like it. looks like it'll appeal to younger buyers more than the Scions. Just the power output looks like it's only weakness.

Anyone know what some of its direct competitors are? I'm assuming the Scion xA, but theres gotta be more then that.

Other then the K20, which the mugen team dropped in, is there any other engines that could fit under the hood? Or does anyone know of any mods available too it yet, like a SC or turbo, for its stock engine?

After reading about it, and driving the Spoon Fit race car in GT4, it seems like a pretty decent little ride, but thats the race version, and although many strive to own one, its not really an obtainable goal. Just want to know what kind of numbers and performance could be had with a modified street version, basically something someone could build off the shelf and in their garage to drive daily.

There is a 1.3l model that Honda may bring over to the states. There is also a 1.5l model that no one is sure what Honda wants to do with. Given the recent change to larger 1.8l engines the usdm Fit may get a bigger engine along these same lines but thats just me guessing.

As to part availible for it, right now since its not a usdm car, there are no parts for it. The JDM model, however, has been around for a while so there are some parts for it. I doubt the companys that make them would have much trouble converting them to usdm spec. The problems would be getting them over here and then making them legal. The larger companys would have no problem doing both. The smaller companys would either just bring them over and let us fend for ourselves or not even bother. While thats going on our own tuners would be working on the car. Before Honda even launched the 2006 civic SI they gave tuners a look at it so they would some lead time on parts development. Honda probably knows there would be at least some performance market for the car here so I dont think it would be to far fetched an idea to say there will be several HFP parts for it and some further tuning parts made by companys like jackson racing and aem before the car even comes out if and when they finaly bring it over here.

As to competitors, of course the toyota xA and xB, nissan is may sell a rebadged renault, and probably some cars the civic is already doing battle with like the focus, the neons replacement and the low model cobalts. Given the quality Honda brings to the table its easy to see why people would choose it over other cars. I think the issue of more direct competitors is what Honda is waiting for though...

Along with the 9005 conversion, I think I'll remove the little grill in the lower bumper... I might even go as far as to get some fog lights but you shouldnt hold your breath...

I don't think you named one nice looking car as a competitor for the Fit. I could definitly see Honda owning the competition with it in North America. Of course, thats my own opinion I guess, and it may be biased, but really, the only competitor that you listed that did any good in this market is the Ford Focus, and I think a lot of people are getting sick of them as it is.

When you do the conversion, make sure not to touch the glass on the bulb. Don't know how true this is, only mindless chat at work, but a friend was telling me that the finger prints you leave on them does something when the bulb heats up to the high levels it does, and it can cause them to crack or explode or something. I can account for the high heat, my Xenon hyper whites melt the ice off my head lights, and I can even feel the heat come off them with my hand a couple inches in front of them.

Love the idea of removing the grill, especially if your talking about that plastic think they screw in to cover the hole. Make sure to replace it with something like a painted black wired mesh, just to help keep leaves and other debris from getting up under your front bumper. In one of my older cars, I once thought I missed a squirrel, only to drive home and find out I had him lodged in an opening in my front grill, feet first, head sticking out for some odd reason.

The oil on your skin creates a hot spot on the light causing it to get hotter then normal and go out.

The radiator cover grill is what I'm talking about. I've seen it removed before and I think it looks good without it. I dont want to add and mesh though as I think that look rice.

So now I wish I knew what was wrong with my headlights... I have no low beams! The I only had time to check one bulb before work but it looked fine. I dont want to start the 9005 conversion if they dont work in normal condition. The brights still work... I'll have to check the other one, the fuses and the wires today or whenever I can.

I hate having little problems like this.

Hey guys,

Question - I thought the Honda S2000 had the most horsepower per litre in any production car? being (120 hp per litre)

THE ED3
The radiator cover grill is what I'm talking about. I've seen it removed before and I think it looks good without it. I dont want to add and mesh though as I think that look rice.

So now I wish I knew what was wrong with my headlights... I have no low beams! The I only had time to check one bulb before work but it looked fine. I dont want to start the 9005 conversion if they dont work in normal condition. The brights still work... I'll have to check the other one, the fuses and the wires today or whenever I can.

Yeah, it should look cool with the radiator grill removed, most do anyways. I was talking about the front bumper though. I've seen people remove the stock space holders, and then clean the street as they drive by collecting leaves and grocery bags in their front bumper. I'm only assuming a plastic bag melted to the front of your radiator couldn't be good. :nervous:

About your bulbs, check them both first, if you haven't already. I had both low beams go out on me at the same time in a car before. If not, probably just a fuse, or lose wire. Hopefully an easy fix for you, cause I wanna know how that conversion goes. 👍

About the S2000.
Didn't the 2.2L model have a greater horsepower and torque potential with less modifications though? :odd:
Thought I read that somewhere.

I will let you know if I find the problem...

just as soon as I re charge the battery :ouch:

left the non-working lights on the other day... The bulbs look fine though. I havent checked the fuses yet. Need to find a fuse remover.

The 2.2l S2K has the same power as the 2.0l with more torque at a lower rpm. the reline is about 500 rpm lower I think. Kinda takes away some of the fun IMO.

Your car doesn't have one in a slot down by your fuses? Mine sits in a lil space/clip beside the fuses, and is marked on the fuse panel cover. If your car didn't come with one though, just buy a fuse replacement kit, around $3 at an auto parts place. They usually come with a fuse puller, and a variety of fuses, cause ya never know which fuss you'll blow next.

500 rpm isn't much when it redlines at 9 grand, rather have the low end torque. I think I read somewhere in Honda Tuning, or another magazine, that the 2.2L responded better to modifications, generating more hp and torque for less money. Or maybe it was the USDM vs. JDM S2000 shoot out or something, can't remember, too long ago.

What was the top model for the EK Hatch on the North American market, and what was its stats? Anyone know?

Australia missed out on getting the 2.2L s2k. As far as i know we still have the 2.0L one. the motor mag ive subscribed to was complaining about being left out for the export of the new one. Not that ill ever own one.

My car is so old if had anything its probably not there anymore. I was told to just use a screwdriver... You have a good idea though.

The usdm EK hatch came in CX and DX trim levels. Both low.

yes at 120hp per liter. 240hp 2.0l. the 2.2l also has 240hp so it doesnt have as good a power per liter rate but it has a little more low end power.

And of course its only NA... High end turbo cars like the F40 can make twice that ;)

THE ED3
My car is so old if had anything its probably not there anymore. I was told to just use a screwdriver... You have a good idea though.

The usdm EK hatch came in CX and DX trim levels. Both low.

Yeah, thats what sucks about older cars, the older it gets, the less things work, or are on the car. Don't use a screw driver, you could crack the fuse, or something else, making a mess. The best thing for you to do would be grab a small pair of needle nosed pliers if you don't want to grab a fuse puller. They'll be able to pull out whatever fuse's you need out better with less possibility of damage to what could be a good fuse. Why spend more than you have too.

Thats what I thought about the EK hatch. I was thinking of picking up a '99, and building my own "Spoon" inspired version after looking them up on the web. I pretty much knew that an engine swap would be in the works. If the only models were the CX and DX, then I guess it wouldn't really matter what trim I start from would it?

Other then engine and accessories, they were the same car right? Anyone have an idea of what would be the better base to start from?

SR16VE
The 1.6 L SR16VE has Nissan's Neo VVL variable valve timing with lift control. It produces 170 hp (127 kW) and 119 ft.lbf (161 Nm).

It is used in the following vehicles:

Nissan Pulsar N15 JDM
[edit]
SR16VE N1
This version was used in the limited production Nissan Pulsar VZ-R N1 and Pulsar VZ-R N1 SSS from 97-98 and made 197hp @ 7800rpm and 134lb torque @ 7600rpm from the 1.6L SR. Although this car was limited in production(only 500 or so models are rumored to have been made), it has the highest horsepower per liter of any production passeneger vehicle, even more than Honda's S2000(120hp/L).

Ok heres where my problem lies, was that SR16VE N1 turbocharged?

I'm not sure but I think it used a form of vtec.

I dont think it would matter which model you choose. Both are lightweight, no options... The only real difference would be the engine. The dx would have a little more power I'd think as the cx was the high fuel economy model.

Needle nose pliers are a god idea. I dont have a fuse puller.

I have some extra money now so as soon as I figure out whats wrong with the lights I'll look into the conversion again.

And since an engine swap would be first on the list, CX or DX wouldn't matter. Thanks.

Yeah, I learned about needle nose pliers when my Daytona Shelby Z was shooting sparks from the fuse panel. Kept getting electrocuted every time I tried to rip them out with a normal fuse puller. Don't ask about the sparks though, long story.

Your car lowered at all, or riding at stock height?

I think nither had power steering just so you know.

right now its at stock height. Its not all that high though as its on 13 inch wheels.

So I was out driving last night, and I realised I had my camera in my glove box.....

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/1990_Prelude/Frontright.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/1990_Prelude/P1220124.jpg

The first one is a bit dark but it is ok, and the second one is too blurry because of the slower shutter speed that I used to enhance the light a bit. I might try going somewhere else to get some more "studio" photos of my car (somewhere with more light 💡 ).

Has anyone else taken some decent photos of their cars?

ED3 - Nice. Your car must be like my friends '84 Prelude. Even at stock height, its still 4-5" lower then everyone else's.

Mclaren_Man - Not bad shots of the ride. Nice clean ride for that style of Prelude. The only pic I have uploaded of my own is my avatar.
<--- Right there

We have a problem with my friends ride. He had the engine of his '90 Prelude SR rebuilt and ported n polished. Before, his car topped out around 200-210kmh, running around 16.9's on our G-Tech Pro. Now he tops out around 190kmh, but runs a 16.4. He's got an intake and muffler on the car, but thats all for engine mods. Anyone know what killed his top end like that? It still pulls to top speed, only now he's lost those extra kmh. Should he look into a chip, headers and larger throttle body to help with the extra flow through the engine like I suspect, or is something else I don't know about going on here?!

Is the redline the same? If so I'd say you have the right idea.

My car isnt all that low, but its not a very big car so it doesnt sit all that high with the 13 inch steelies on it.

I hope to do more to it in the coming months. If I keep a job for a change I will have some fun with it.

lol. i get muh stereo ( finally ) installed tomorrow w00t cant wait. Nothing like mixing my love for music with my love of cars.

ED3: any way you could get any more pics of your car? id love to see whats been gonig on over the last year or so since last 'photoshoot'

McLaren man: Top stuff, i realy like that model prelude, and was realy considering buying one the only reason i didnt was

A) i would have been killed by insurance from a coup&#233;
B) i wanted to cruise with all muh friends, coz all muh friends are lazy and cant be bothered getting there license.
C) Nothing like a pimptastic sedan hehe.

Keep up with the pics too ^^, I cant wait to get some nice rims on mine, im gunna wait until the tread wears off the tires its got tho. Then ill get some kewly pics.

~Sp33~

Actually I think we are having problems with our computer or digital camera. I'm not sure if its technical or lazyness but we havent had any new pictures of anything for a while now...

It doesnt really matter though as not a damn thing has changed. I've been a broke s.o.b since I bought it.

Like I have said before though, I have a job at the moment that isnt half bad so in the coming months there may be some changes god willing. 👍

I have been looking through parts catalogs. I have been thinking a set of Progress springs with a 2 inch drop and some KYB shocks would be good. Not sure if I want to go with the cheaper GR-2 units our the adjustible AGX units though. The GR-2s are like $70 each and the AGXs are like $100 each. I'm not even sure if they can handle a 2 inch drop either. I've heard some not so good things about the AGX on lowered cars.

Other then that I'd like to get some new wheels. Probably just some civic HX or integra LS units.

I like those photos, good locations, as for the car........It aint too bad I suppose.... Those photos have inspired me, I am going to go and find a multi storey car park and get some nice shots.

Back