Honda Fan Club - under new management

• Thread starter THE ED3
  • 4,581 comments
SRV2LOW4ME
Peanut M&Ms? I was WAY off. :lol:
Four 6x9s? Seriously? Post some pics when you can, thats crazy for a Civic.

Yeah four, in all honesty i had six at one point as the standard size for the back speakers are 6x9's in under the grilles - i had two in the original housings and four on the shelf, but the housing kept rattling as the speakers were too powerfull, so i opted for four, dont worry they dont look like crap its a nice job done with a black vinyl mdf shelf!

I used to have two 12 inch 2400watt(each) Vibe subs running from a sony xplod 1100watt mono amp! but it was too loud so i sold it after about 6 months, now i need a new head unit as it doesnt work properly - think it has overheated too many times.

I'll post pics up soon! :)

Your Civic came with 6x9s? I think i'm more jealous of that then the M&Ms!

Mine only came with 6 1/2s in the back, and a small 6x9 sub in the middle, pointing forward between the back seats. Removed the sub, and replaced all the speakers with 3 ways, but I would have rather put in 6x9s since they cover your mids better.

I'm not into the audio thing. I'll listen to the radio every now and then but I'm just not into spending money on something that will make my car slower.

THE ED3
And moving on... I found out what was wrong with my lights. I had no idea there was a switch on the light switch to turn on the brights. When you turn on the lights, first click is the corner lights, second click is the low beams, then you have to pull the lever to you to turn on the brights. This turns off the low beams. I have never driven a car like this. I think its odd and stupid. Oh well though at least I dont have to drive around with the brights on anymore.

yea, i realised this whem i was turning on muh highbeem one time, when you hold it in the low's stay on until you let it back out again, and high stays on but low turns off. I thought all cars did this? muh parentals car does :/

also ive finally persuaded muh friend to get a EG sedan over a pulsar, Anyone know much about them?.. any info would be cool. I saw some stats that said the VEi model ( i didnt even know that was a model in the honda line up) only has 66kw but 129NM of torque... to me that doesnt sound right.. seeing mines older and not fuel injected and has more then that. Also this cars heavier. Kinda makes it look lame next to a 1.6-1.8L pulsar.

Torque is all you really need... but yeah thats a bit odd I guess. I dont know what engine that thing came with as I have never heard of it either.

My left light doesnt project as for has my right. I need to adjust the adjuster screws but I keep forgetting. They are so much brighter now though its great!

Its not very often a honda engine has more torque then power either... especially twixe as much torque... hehe mad! :) i realy like the blue tint look to.

blue tent look? They arent blue tented... Thats just the name. They are really a rather bright white. Not HID bright of course but very nice.

~Sp33~
especially twixe as much torque... hehe mad! :)

Considering the power and torque is shown in metric units it looks like it has twice the torque but isnt.

66Kw's and 129NM

Converted to imperial units is

88Hp and 92ft-lb's

The difference doesnt look so much any more.

tint not tent, i dont plan to live in your headlights.

i was talking about back in my land now imperial old age units. Still compared to other hondas usually the power is more then the torque.. by a reasonable amount.

also a 'discovery' i made in gt4 the other day, the oldskewl civic is actually a fantastic drive, the ugly hatchback gold one. its a little beuty@!!

~Sp33~
i was talking about back in my land now imperial old age units. Still compared to other hondas usually the power is more then the torque.. by a reasonable amount.

Yes, but If you thinking in metric then the difference still shouldn't be all that suprising as all but the high revving cars are high in the Nm compared to Kw's numbers, but I guess Honda makes alot of High revving N/A tuned engines so its more of a suprise, I'm assuming this engine isnt a high revving one.

SRV2LOW4ME
Your Civic came with 6x9s? I think i'm more jealous of that then the M&Ms!

Mine only came with 6 1/2s in the back, and a small 6x9 sub in the middle, pointing forward between the back seats. Removed the sub, and replaced all the speakers with 3 ways, but I would have rather put in 6x9s since they cover your mids better.

It certainly did, but when i pulled them out to replace them with JBL ones i found out they were like 14watt 2way pioneer ones :lol:

I think youd rather see the size of the box of the m&m's 1st to judge! its huge! my mates little brother works in domino's and there was a promotional deal on with the m&m's - they were supposed to give a free packet with a certain pizza that they sold, but they never gave any away so they had like 20 boxes and i got one!

Ha ha, the standard 6" speakers in the back of my civic where 15watters hehe. and they where made of what looked like a brown paper bag, ill get some pics at one stage, theyre tottaly trashed, obviously the person who had it before me had a good time with them ~_~, also fried muh clutch, stupid biatch.

All right guys, exhausts.

My current 2.0l gen 3 lude could benefit from a larger lung so it can exhale a bit better. I have 2 local shops in my area that could fit exhausts, but they're closed today so I couldnt ring up and get a quote. I was thinking 2 and a quarter inch cat back with a high flow cat, is that the right size? would a 2.5 inch destroy all backpressure and not be as effective? Price ranges, so I know that Im not getting ripped off. Also resonators, I hear that they change the note, is it for better or worse? I would like to get a subtle system so that it doesnt get too much attention and wake up all the houses I go past.

*exhales*

any help would be appreciated. Thanks

For a 2 liter a 2 and a quater inch pipe is to small. A 2.5 would be better. A resonator would be good with a high flow muffler. It'll be much louder but probably not to bad.

yeah. I dont know how it is on your car but on the FI models is just a few bolts to take out and then it pops out.

make sure to check both sides. even if one side is good the other may be bad.

Mclaren_Man
All right guys, exhausts.

My current 2.0l gen 3 lude could benefit from a larger lung so it can exhale a bit better. I have 2 local shops in my area that could fit exhausts, but they're closed today so I couldnt ring up and get a quote. I was thinking 2 and a quarter inch cat back with a high flow cat, is that the right size? would a 2.5 inch destroy all backpressure and not be as effective? Price ranges, so I know that Im not getting ripped off. Also resonators, I hear that they change the note, is it for better or worse? I would like to get a subtle system so that it doesnt get too much attention and wake up all the houses I go past.

*exhales*

any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Not sure about the exhaust regulations in Aus, but for Canada, speaking from experience, the best exhaust set up for your car would be going 2.5" stainless, high flow cat and muffler. Getting a straight through design gives you a low sounding gurgle in the lower rpms, with a higher pitched, but still deep top half, unless you have VTEC. A performance resonator muffler will give you the deeper sounding notes throughout the power band, unless VTEC is present. An intake, specifically cold air, will help increase the sound coming from the exhaust, and in most cases, will usually increase the high pitched sounds of the higher rpms. All together, the exhaust system, not including the high flow cat, which is usually around $150 CAN, should cost around $450 CAN, installed.
Hope that helps ya out a bit.
Unfortuantly though, Prelude engines tend to give off deeper exhaust notes than most 4 cylenders, mainly due to the size, but do benefit greatly performance wise from the larger exhaust. Just try to keep the rpms low when you come home late at night and you should be alright.

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. As long as my car doesnt end up sounding like a buzz box I should be happy. This will still be a fair while away for me as im a bit restricted for cash at the moment.

Looks like an intake setup will be on the agenda as well...

ps: SRV2LOW4ME, is that setup that your talking about what you have on your car? That would be nice, sigh if only i had VTEC

Mclaren_Man
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. As long as my car doesnt end up sounding like a buzz box I should be happy. This will still be a fair while away for me as im a bit restricted for cash at the moment.

Looks like an intake setup will be on the agenda as well...

ps: SRV2LOW4ME, is that setup that your talking about what you have on your car? That would be nice, sigh if only i had VTEC

Your welcome, and kind of. I'm running a 4-2-1 header with 2.5" Stainless through a high flow cat and straight muffler. Two of my friends though have your car though, one a '90 SR and the other a '91 SR. My friend with the '90 installed 2.5" with the highflow cat and resonator muffler, which resulted in a very deep tone throughout the entire rpm range, even with his intake. The '91 only has a straight muffler with the rest of the exhaust stock, and although his has deep bottom rpm sound, it does get a little more high pitched than the '90 in the higher rpms.

If you don't want the buzz sound, i'd stick with a resonator muffler, as they tend to carry the lower tones since the higher pitched tones get cancelled out inside the muffler.

You have to watch with performance shops, as some of them will sell you the muffler for cheap, and then gouge you on the install, or in my case, replace a section with something other then stainless steel, forcing you to pay to have it replaced later on.

Ebay and other websites can be your friend too, just make sure you read everything and make sure the product is what you want, and will fit your car. My friend didn't want to spend a lot of money on his '84 Prelude, for obvious reasons, so he did some shopping online, and picked up a Vibrant muffler for $50 CAN off ebay, and I think the install was only $80.

ED3 - Is that stainless, or aluminized? You really have to watch what gets stuck under your car, especially if it snows in your area. Aluminized will only last 2-3 years, where as most companies that install stainless guarentee it for the life of the car. Little more money, but its definitly worth it, especially if you want to upgrade it later on, since stainless can be welded to later on, and aluminized has to be replaced.

I do not know. I just was interested in it because the catalog says its for a sedan. Most exhausts are for a hatchback and must be modified to fit the sedan. I could have a custom setup built for me but I dont know much about the subject to get the right thing.

THE ED3
I do not know. I just was interested in it because the catalog says its for a sedan. Most exhausts are for a hatchback and must be modified to fit the sedan. I could have a custom setup built for me but I dont know much about the subject to get the right thing.

You have to watch catelogs and model specific prices, atleast with Honda and other imports, as i've seen prices bumped up just because they're only made for certain cars, making people think they're better. A decent muffler shop can usually do the job for a fraction of the cost. I've found that it can usually be cheaper to provide your own muffler, and have them install it, along with the new exhaust with a guarntee for the life of the car, and thats its completely stainless steel.

Back