hot rods, muscle cars, customs...

• Thread starter Cano
  • 6,009 comments
Pretty GTO is pretty. A '68 in Meridian Turquoise.

ha0417-280287_8@2x.jpg
ha0417-280287_2@2x.jpg

Looks like a model photographed and digitally placed into another image. Not saying it is, but the environment is very sparse and nondescript, plus there's a "puffiness" along the length of the bodywork that I tend to associate with models.

Looks like a model photographed and digitally placed into another image. Not saying it is, but the environment is very sparse and nondescript, plus there's a "puffiness" along the length of the bodywork that I tend to associate with models.
You could be right, but I notice the shadows are all going in the same direction. I'm thinking this may be more an example of tilt-shift photography in which a shallow depth of field leaves the front of the car in focus but the back of the car (and the background) are out of focus. It's also sometimes called miniature faking.

And now for my first contribution to this thread. This is one of my favorite customs. I saw this on the Radir wheels website years ago and have loved it ever since. Radir Tri-Ribbs are some of my favorite American wheels, and they fit this 1954 Chevy painted in refrigerator white with red flames perfectly.

And here's my favorite hot rod, a '27 T roadster built by Pete Chapouris. It's a true gem, a thing of beauty. He also built the iconic "California Kid" '34 3-window that starred in the movie of the same name. Sadly he passed away in 2017.

You could be right, but I notice the shadows are all going in the same direction. I'm thinking this may be more an example of tilt-shift photography in which a shallow depth of field leaves the front of the car in focus but the back of the car (and the background) are out of focus. It's also sometimes called miniature faking.
I'm 97% sure it's not a model. I figure it boils down to the manner in which the photograph was taken, as you indicate. I think the biggest chunk of that other 3% comes from panel fitment; it's as if they bought repop doorskins that are half an inch longer than they're supposed to be, but rather than trim them up, they fitted them anyway and now the skin bows outward. Normally cars can be bodyworked to produce an even sight line along their length, but this is probably more difficult with a model and you end up with what I referred to as puffiness. It would have to be one incredible--and incredibly expensive--model for it to actually be one.

And here's my favorite hot rod, a '27 T roadster built by Pete Chapouris. It's a true gem, a thing of beauty. He also built the iconic "California Kid" '34 3-window that starred in the movie of the same name. Sadly he passed away in 2017.
I have three words for you:

Bill. NieKamp. Roadster.

0C5A6242.jpg

Dick Flint's has a cool nose, but it loses me with the stance. Another cool nose can be found on the yellow car Steve Moal built for good guy Gary Meadors.

As awesome as track noses are, I still want an early style A roadster pickup with the appropriate grill shell, but with a Hallock style windshield and cycle fenders. Alternatively, I could maybe see removing the bed and bringing a banjo rearend with lengthened axle tubes closer to the cab--the lakes modified route. Either way, it's got a Model B 4-pot under the hood with the Riley OHV conversion and a Shorrock supercharger, or perhaps even a shiny Latham, hooked to a toploader.

I'm 97% sure it's not a model.

[snip]

Bill. NieKamp. Roadster.

[snip]

As awesome as track noses are, I still want an early style A roadster pickup with the appropriate grill shell, but with a Hallock style windshield and cycle fenders. Alternatively, I could maybe see removing the bed and bringing a banjo rearend with lengthened axle tubes closer to the cab--the lakes modified route. Either way, it's got a Model B 4-pot under the hood with the Riley OHV conversion and a Shorrock supercharger, or perhaps even a shiny Latham, hooked to a toploader.

There's definitely something uncanny valley-ish about that photo of the Chevy.

You want to talk about track nose roadsters? I'm ready.

Eddie Dye's 1929 A roadster had a gorgeous nose, but it was removed back in the 1960s so the then current owner could "modernize it" with a regular upright grill. He sold the nose to someone else who sold it to someone else, etc, until someone got it, recognized what it was and built a replica Eddie Dye roadster around it. Meanwhile the person who ended up with the original car realized it was the Eddie Dye roadster minus the track nose. So he had a replica nose built. Now there were two people claiming to own the Eddie Dye roadster and they were both right. Eventually they worked out a deal where the original nose was put back on the original car, and the other person got all the replica parts plus a player to be named later? I'm not sure on all the details. Anyway there is now only one Eddie Dye roadster, and this is it.

Not quite as fascinating a story as the Eddie Dye roadster, the Dick Flint 1929 A roadster is simply a beautiful hot rod that has survived the passage of time.

Finally here is Barney Navarro's 27 T lakes racing track nosed roadster. The bulge in the hood is for the GMC blower. Barney was a builder, inventor, author, engineer and race driver.

You want to talk about track nose roadsters? I'm ready.

Eddie Dye's 1929 A roadster had a gorgeous nose, but it was removed back in the 1960s so the then current owner could "modernize it" with a regular upright grill. He sold the nose to someone else who sold it to someone else, etc, until someone got it, recognized what it was and built a replica Eddie Dye roadster around it. Meanwhile the person who ended up with the original car realized it was the Eddie Dye roadster minus the track nose. So he had a replica nose built. Now there were two people claiming to own the Eddie Dye roadster and they were both right. Eventually they worked out a deal where the original nose was put back on the original car, and the other person got all the replica parts plus a player to be named later? I'm not sure on all the details. Anyway there is now only one Eddie Dye roadster, and this is it.

Not quite as fascinating a story as the Eddie Dye roadster, the Dick Flint 1929 A roadster is simply a beautiful hot rod that has survived the passage of time.

Finally here is Barney Navarro's 27 T lakes racing track nosed roadster. The bulge in the hood is for the GMC blower. Barney was a builder, inventor, author, engineer and race driver.
*gasp*

Smoothed cowl on the Eddie Dye '29! Where'd I put my hangin' rope?

:P

As I recall, it has a pretty cool nerf bar.

Track noses are cool, but I appreciate the simplicity of the original A grill shell.

On the topic of nerf bars, I love the ones that take a cue from the grill, of which Dick Flint's is a perfect example.

Gary Meadors' did as well, except it follows only the bottom edge.

P1250286.JPG

I don't think any do this better than Jack Thompson's T roadster:

Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod-Main.jpg

If I absolutely had to have a track nose, I'd want one that Harry Bentley Bradley penned a number of years back in a treatment on lakes modifieds for Rod & Custom magazine.

p8152661.jpg

It's down there at the bottom right, though mine would transition smoothly into the A cowl, with just a little bit of the lower fairing blister crossing beyond the firewall. I think there's great potential in there for a complementary nerf bar as well. However, I fear there wouldn't be room for a supercharger hanging off the side of the 201-inch (3.3 liters) four-banger.

Such Uncertain T.

If I absolutely had to have a track nose, I'd want one that Harry Bentley Bradley penned a number of years back in a treatment on lakes modifieds for Rod & Custom magazine.

p8152661.jpg

It's down there at the bottom right, though mine would transition smoothly into the A cowl, with just a little bit of the lower fairing blister crossing beyond the firewall. I think there's great potential in there for a complementary nerf bar as well. However, I fear there wouldn't be room for a supercharger hanging off the side of the 201-inch (3.3 liters) four-banger.
I think that yellow design in the bottom right is more than a little influenced by the Edsel Ford Model 40 Special Speedster.

Such Uncertain T.

Back