Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,226 comments
Here.

IMG_20170204_152543797_HDR.jpg

Don't get mad at me because of the elcheapo rims, please!

I've also painted the exhaust and undertray:
IMG_20170204_152450775.jpg

Edit:

I've also started work on this Maisto f150.
IMG_20170401_091652721.jpg

Things done so far:
Rims coloured in with a Sharpie
Indicators coloured in with a Sharpie

I plan to lift it at some point, and tips for it will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
If you somehow painted those Impreza wheels bronze or a darker silver, they'd really look like the ones on the third generation Legacy.

7060_large.jpg

SVX
If you somehow painted those Impreza wheels bronze or a darker silver, they'd really look like the ones on the third generation Legacy.

7060_large.jpg
Great idea, the wheels won't look as bad then. Thanks

Where to find a bronze sharpie....

-Olibob

Great idea, the wheels won't look as bad then. Thanks

Where to find a bronze sharpie....

-Olibob

Or you could jump right into the world of acrylic/enamel paints, starting with Testors or Tamiya products + toothpicks! Get into those and you'll never want to go back!

Or you could jump right into the world of acrylic/enamel paints, starting with Testors or Tamiya products + toothpicks! Get into those and you'll never want to go back!
I have a couple Tamiya paints, none of which are bronze. I may have a dark grey somewhere... I'll search for it.

Good idea, thanks

SVX

7060_large.jpg
There wrx rims btw, not liberty or legacy. They came standard on 2001-2003 bugeye wrx, I know because I Have a set. :)

There wrx rims btw, not liberty or legacy. They came standard on 2001-2003 bugeye wrx, I know because I Have a set. :)

They were also on the WRX, but these were factory on the third generation Legacy GT-Bs as well.

I know because my dad has around 5 sets. :)

Edit: I might also mention that the BH5 Legacy in fact came before the bug eye, so your WRX wheels are actually Legacy wheels. ;)

Last edited:
SVX
They were also on the WRX, but these were factory on the third generation Legacy GT-Bs as well.

I know because my dad has around 5 sets. :)

Edit: I might also mention that the BH5 Legacy in fact came before the bug eye, so your WRX wheels are actually Legacy wheels. ;)

Oh wow, there you go, I didn't know that, iam not much of a Liberty/legacy guy I just assumed they were stock wrx. So I learned today that they are also lib/legacy wheels, well I'll be. Like I said, that rim goes very well with the car. When I put coil overs in my bugeye I was initially going to put BBS rims on straight away but loved the looks of these rims I kept them on for a while.
o5xa1i.jpg

But once I needed new tyres, I went xxr.
2j0gj1u.jpg

Ok here she is.
ncbo8o.jpg

2ldagj9.jpg

These were taken by a pro photographer at a subi meet a few months back. Since then I've tintedy fog lamps and fitted some hella horns.
11jvnsj.jpg

34zlpue.jpg

2a65qhd.jpg

2465mkh.jpg

eqpetd.jpg

Hope you like, Ian really satisfied by the look of this, the stance and height is bang on IMO. First time I've done a car and it's come out exactly how I've pictured it.

Cheers man, well it does now lol, I had to roll 20mm of all 4 guards to get the rims to fit as there 9 inch wide. Heaps of tyre shops said I wouldn't get them to fit, well I did lol. I rub on big bumps if I have a full car load but only on the inside rear bumper and that's with my damper set at its hardest lol. But I can manage full lock on steering without rubbing.

I'd say either start off with swapping just wheels, which requires a certain set of tools.... or do detailing jobs. Both enhance production models, but are two different fields of work.

But you can get better tips if you can identify a specific goal, and how you're already looking into doing it.

Are there any tips you would have for a beginner who wants to do some basic modification work?
We're both beginners :dopey:! My first mod was a wheel swap (As you can see near to the top of page 294). I also have detailed and painted some interiors. I find this effective as if you go wrong, you can just wipe the paint off (Easier than un-spraying the body lol). I painted my seats red, and they look like leather.

Good luck with your modding :cheers:

Thanks, I was wondering in particular more where one can acquire wheels for wheel swaps easily in the UK and the Netherlands? Premium Hot Wheels and stuff seem a lot harder to come by over here.

Thanks, I was wondering in particular more where one can acquire wheels for wheel swaps easily in the UK and the Netherlands? Premium Hot Wheels and stuff seem a lot harder to come by over here.
Yay, UK buddies!

What my friend and I do is get average hotwheels with nice rims. We don't have Supers and Realriders are worth £10 upwards! One car's rims I like is on the Hot Wheels 2015 Shelby Mustang (Found it at ASDA I think) Pictures:
IMG_20170407_130455020.jpg

Yeah it's fixed to the plastic underbody. I made all the body kits and exhausts for both. Except I didn't make front bar for white one.

Yeah it's fixed to the plastic underbody. I made all the body kits and exhausts for both. Except I didn't make front bar for white one.
Also, is it just the way I'm looking at it, or does the blue one have positive camber?

Olibob

Nah the photo makes it look that way, it's dead straight, but I do have a few cars with neg camber but on the previous page.

I've made progress on the Subie. I used @R1600Turbo 's trick on the wheels. Subtle but nice difference (More noticable in real life)

AFTER:
7029038182235969079%253Faccount_id%253D1

BEFORE:
6592015537010715079%253Faccount_id%253D1

Also, I'd really appreciate suggestions for a 'Chav build' AKA 'Ultimate rice mobile'. So far I have a ford focus Mk1 with green rims (Thanks again for the wheel and paint tip) Lastly, there is tint. Any ideas? (I also have pics if you're interested))

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back